Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,779 members, 7,810,033 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:04 PM

12 Useful Math Hacks That They Didn't Teach You In School - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 12 Useful Math Hacks That They Didn't Teach You In School (6474 Views)

See What Kenyan Student Did When He Was Given A Difficult Math Question In Exam / NECO Math Questions Some Teachers Couldn't Solve / Can You Solve This Math That Baffled Australian Students? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

12 Useful Math Hacks That They Didn't Teach You In School by Dongreat(m): 7:20pm On Jan 21, 2016
After finding these math hacks, I'm convinced that all those years of being forced to struggle through math class really was just a torture ploy created by evil math teachers everywhere. Check out these amazing math tips and you'll agree! Watch out though, you may just unleash the inner math whiz you never knew was in you...

1. How To Convert Fahrenheit to Celsius

As if it was this simple all along...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Useful Math Hacks That They Didn't Teach You In School by Nnaemiemax: 7:31pm On Jan 21, 2016
op kindly continue
Re: 12 Useful Math Hacks That They Didn't Teach You In School by Dongreat(m): 7:42pm On Jan 21, 2016
2. How To Multiply Large Numbers In Your Head 

Who knew?

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 12 Useful Math Hacks That They Didn't Teach You In School by Dongreat(m): 7:43pm On Jan 21, 2016
3. How To Multiply By 11

Finally! I can now multiply more than single digits by 11 in my head.

7 Likes

Re: 12 Useful Math Hacks That They Didn't Teach You In School by Dongreat(m): 7:45pm On Jan 21, 2016
4. Secret To Remembering The Numbers In Pi

Also a cool party trick.

4 Likes

Re: 12 Useful Math Hacks That They Didn't Teach You In School by Dongreat(m): 7:46pm On Jan 21, 2016
5. How To Find Fractions Of Whole Numbers

2 Likes

Re: 12 Useful Math Hacks That They Didn't Teach You In School by Nobody: 7:49pm On Jan 21, 2016
I like, saved for the kids...

Very Nice op.

1 Like

Re: 12 Useful Math Hacks That They Didn't Teach You In School by Dongreat(m): 7:52pm On Jan 21, 2016
6. How To Figure Out What Day Of The Week Falls On What Date...

You might be confused looking at the picture below, but the math is actually quite simple (albeit a bit elaborate). You'll need the codesHERE (http://gmmentalgym..ca/2011/03/day-of-week-for-any-date-revised.html?m=1), which will help you master this.

July simply has a code of 5.
20th is 6 because 7 goes into 20 twice, which is 14. 20 - 14 = 6.
2069 is 2 because the leap year code of 2068 is 1 and 2069 is 1 year after, so that's 2.

The math can be difficult at first because there are a lot of codes, but it works out incredibly well once you pick it up. Here's a separate example:

January 3, 2014 is a Friday, right?

So, January, according to the table, is 6, and we handle days by using multiples of 7. We don't need to, so it's actually just 3 in this case. Next we need to know the closest leap year, which was 2012. That has a year code of 1 and 2013 is 2 years after, so 3 again. 

We get 6 + 3 + 3 = 12 - 7 = 5! FRIDAY!

3 Likes

Re: 12 Useful Math Hacks That They Didn't Teach You In School by Dongreat(m): 7:54pm On Jan 21, 2016
7. How to Add And Subtract Fractions

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Useful Math Hacks That They Didn't Teach You In School by Dongreat(m): 7:56pm On Jan 21, 2016
8. How To Figure Out Multiples Of Nine 

Just count up in the tens column and down in the ones column.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Useful Math Hacks That They Didn't Teach You In School by Krak(m): 7:57pm On Jan 21, 2016
Wonderfully impressive. It is this kind of learning tricks rhat should be introduced into our educational curriculum.

Learning should be simple, fun and easy.

5 Likes

Re: 12 Useful Math Hacks That They Didn't Teach You In School by Dongreat(m): 8:01pm On Jan 21, 2016
9. How To Use Your Hands For 5, 6, and 9 Times Tables

Step 1

Choose the numbers to multiply.Example: 7x8

Step 2

Put together the fingers whoses values you want to multiply.

Step 3

Now count the touching fingers and the ones below them. The number you get will be the tens. Example: 5

Step 4

Now multiply the fingers above the ones touching of the left hand and the ones in the right hand. The number you get will be the units. Example: 3x2=6

Answer: 56

**In some cases you will get a number of units bigger than nine, in that case sum both quantities**

Example: 7x6

- Touching fingers + the ones below  ->  3

- Fingers above the ones touching in left hand  ->  3
                                                                                                               3 x 4 = 12
- Fingers above the ones touching in the right hand  ->  4

3        (tens)
Now we've got 3 tens and 12 units  ->                  + 12      (units)
                                                                             ---------
                                                                                  42     (final result)

Here's an extra trick for the whole table of nine.

- First put your hands in front of you
- Then ascribe values from 1 to 10 to your fingers
- Fold the finger whose value you want to multiply nine times
- The fingers remaining unfolded in the left will be the tens
- The fingers remaining unfolded in the right will be the units

Example:  9 x 4

- Fold the fourth finger
- Fingers remaining unfold in the left  ->  3  (tens)
- Fingers remaining unfold in the right  ->  6 (units)
- Final result  ->  36‎

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Useful Math Hacks That They Didn't Teach You In School by Dongreat(m): 8:03pm On Jan 21, 2016
10. How To Figure Out Percentages

3 Likes

Re: 12 Useful Math Hacks That They Didn't Teach You In School by ADENIKETINA2015(f): 8:03pm On Jan 21, 2016
FP material
Re: 12 Useful Math Hacks That They Didn't Teach You In School by Dongreat(m): 8:04pm On Jan 21, 2016
11. How To Remember Which Sign Is Greater Than and Which Is Less Than

Alligator always eats the bigger number!

4 Likes

Re: 12 Useful Math Hacks That They Didn't Teach You In School by Dongreat(m): 8:07pm On Jan 21, 2016
12. Use Lines To Multiply

The is actually a method used often by the Japanese. 

Still don't have it? Here are three awesome sources that will teach you:

(1) Lifehacker
(2) WikiHow
(3) Magical Maths‎

5 Likes

Re: 12 Useful Math Hacks That They Didn't Teach You In School by Dongreat(m): 8:09pm On Jan 21, 2016
lalasticlala‎ please help move this so that many if not all get familiar with the technique. Cheers

4 Likes

Re: 12 Useful Math Hacks That They Didn't Teach You In School by Artless360(m): 8:56pm On Jan 21, 2016
Nice one
Re: 12 Useful Math Hacks That They Didn't Teach You In School by temitope28(m): 9:37pm On Jan 21, 2016
END TIME MATHEMATICS

1 Like

Re: 12 Useful Math Hacks That They Didn't Teach You In School by CertifiedFreak(m): 9:40pm On Jan 21, 2016
Bookmarked for those future dumb kids.
Re: 12 Useful Math Hacks That They Didn't Teach You In School by philiancoop(m): 9:41pm On Jan 21, 2016
Lalastic lala
Re: 12 Useful Math Hacks That They Didn't Teach You In School by oabel(m): 9:41pm On Jan 21, 2016
Nics one op.

1 Like

Re: 12 Useful Math Hacks That They Didn't Teach You In School by Vivly(f): 10:39pm On Jan 21, 2016
Dongreat:
3. How To Multiply By 11

Finally! I can now multiply more than single digits by 11 in my head.
I think this only works when the sum of the two digits is less than 10.
For example 67 * 11 isn't 6137.
It's 737. I stand to be corrected though.

2 Likes

Re: 12 Useful Math Hacks That They Didn't Teach You In School by Aspiregreat: 10:47pm On Jan 21, 2016
CertifiedFreak:
Bookmarked for those future dumb kids.

Bookmarked for those present dumb Adults.

2 Likes

Re: 12 Useful Math Hacks That They Didn't Teach You In School by Vivly(f): 10:49pm On Jan 21, 2016
Dongreat:

Who knew?
This too.
I tried 57 * 57 with the hack method and it didn't work.
Does the digit have to be such that when it is deducted from 100 only a single number is left?
This too works for a limited number of digits so it's pretty invalid.
I stand to be corrected again o.

1 Like

Re: 12 Useful Math Hacks That They Didn't Teach You In School by EzePromoe: 11:01pm On Jan 21, 2016
Dongreat:

Who knew?
I found this very useful. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: 12 Useful Math Hacks That They Didn't Teach You In School by Dongreat(m): 11:03pm On Jan 21, 2016
Vivly:
I think this only works when the sum of the two digits is less than 10.
For example 67 * 11 isn't 6137.
It's 737. I stand to be corrected though.

You stand to be corrected for this and for the hack method it works for a limited numb of digits. It's mathematics dear, truth is there is no right method 2 get a precise ans as maths itself is not accurate but provide numbers next to something. These are short cut techniques that work with large amount of numbers but not all. like u said, limited.
Re: 12 Useful Math Hacks That They Didn't Teach You In School by Vivly(f): 11:06pm On Jan 21, 2016
Dongreat:

You stand to be corrected for this and for the hack method it works for a limited numb of digits. It's mathematics dear, truth is there is no right method 2 get a precise ans as maths itself is not accurate but provide numbers next to something. These are short cut techniques that work with large amount of numbers but not all. like u said, limited.
You see, this is the reason they don't teach this to kids. How would I know the numbers the hack won't work on and those it'll work on.
Any ways, It's all fun and games till you use this hack in JAMB maths.

1 Like

Re: 12 Useful Math Hacks That They Didn't Teach You In School by joey150(m): 11:09pm On Jan 21, 2016
Super..just for tricks..

1 Like

Re: 12 Useful Math Hacks That They Didn't Teach You In School by Dongreat(m): 11:14pm On Jan 21, 2016
Vivly:

You see, this is the reason they don't teach this to kids. How would I know the numbers the hack won't work on and those it'll work on.
Any ways, It's all fun and games till you use this hack in JAMB maths.

It's the reason y u teach it to kids. Kids remember not adult. These are methods for building solid foundations or pls tell me any skul, home and abroad that the kids are taught further maths or rocket science. I never knw X, Y and Z can be found in a math equation until I entered SSS2. And u guess rite, I no kid any more.
Re: 12 Useful Math Hacks That They Didn't Teach You In School by Evathyst(f): 11:15pm On Jan 21, 2016
Too many complexities in the use of shortcuts.

While inexperienced teachers may find this 'helpful' an experienced teacher knows otherwise. Students (especially primary school students) should be taught how to do pure calculations and not some tricks which will make them become mentally lazy. undecided undecided

I stand to be corrected though...

Nice work OP! At least, we adults can still tap into this 'annointing' tongue
Re: 12 Useful Math Hacks That They Didn't Teach You In School by EzePromoe: 11:16pm On Jan 21, 2016
Vivly:

This too.
I tried 57 * 57 with the hack method and it didn't work.
Does the digit have to be such that when it is deducted from 100 only a single number is left?
This too works for a limited number of digits so it's pretty invalid.
I stand to be corrected again o.
Here is it!

57 (100-43) x 57 (100-43)
43+43=86 , 100-86=14
First two digit will be 14
Now for the last two digit,
43x43=1849

Now it is evident that 1849 is no two digit number. What you have to do then is to push the first two digit (18) and add it to the initial first two digit (14) , you will then get 32. i.e 57x57=(18+14)49=3249

Now this works for all numbers smiley

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The World Should See This Picture / EBSU 2017/2018 Post-UTME Application Form Is Out, Cut-Off Mark Is 160 / Twenty Fact Of Life That Everybody Must Know!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.