Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,750 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:09 AM

Buying The Right Laptop - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Buying The Right Laptop (1694 Views)

How To Choose The Right Laptop When Shopping On Konga Or Jumia / Worried About Finding The Right Laptop For Yourself? Read This / Worried About Find The Right Laptop For You? Read This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buying The Right Laptop by real4ayo(m): 1:05am On Jan 22, 2016
It's that time of the year. That time, when we all want to change our gadgets, just because it is a new year. Happy New Year to you all by the way.
Today I would be giving Tips on things to look out for, when getting a Laptop

1. Requirement
Firstly, what are your requirements for a new laptop? It's very important to know what you need your new laptop for. Is it an upgrade of your current unit or a direct replacement? Do you just need it for normal daily typing, viewing documents, and watching movies? Or do you need it to run heavy software like Photoshop, AutoCAD, Revit, Adobe Premier, etc.

2. Processor
The requirement factor leads directly here. Once you know what your requirements for a new laptop are, you can find out the kind of processor you need to be searching for. There are two main brands of processors, which are AMD and Intel.

AMD Processors give more affordability and they give cheaper options for users who are looking at getting a new laptop on a budget. The downside to AMD processors is its overheating issues, which most of the time gets the VGA cards on motherboards damaged if not well managed.

At [url]RepairAm.com[/url] we have had to Repaired a lot Amd Processor Laptop with the overheating issue. We always recommend Intel processors as they are more durable and a bit affordable. There is really no point going for a laptop you can afford too easily and not get the best off it. It is most important to spend right and get the best out of the laptop you get.
If you need a laptop for typing, watching movies and viewing documents purpose, then our recommendation in ascending order would be Intel Atom, Intel Celeron, Intel Pentium, Intel Dual-core and Intel Core i3 with a speed from 1.2Ghz to 2.3Ghz.

If you need the Laptop for Graphics related work, video rendering, gaming, or you just need a super-fast Laptop, then I would recommend (Least to Best)- Intel core i3, Intel core i5, Intel core i7.

3. Graphics Card
Once you have chosen the processor, the next thing to look at is the graphic card. If you are into graphics work, like video rendering or gaming, then you need to worry about the Graphics card. If you are not into any of that, then you are fine with a normal Intel graphics card.
However if you need the laptop for gaming, graphics and designing, or video rendering, you need a laptop with either an AMD Radeon (formerly ATI Radeon graphics ) or an NVidia Graphics Card. Lately, most people prefer NVidia Graphics, however the important thing to note is the Dedicated Ram to the Graphics. You could either have 512MB, 1GB dedicated, 2GB or even 4GB dedicated (least to best). So the choice is yours.
P.S: The Processor and Graphics card cannot be upgraded in laptops most of the time, so it's very important to buy and choose what suits your purpose.

4. Storage Drive
The hard drive is the part that has the storage space in any laptop. The hard drive is a traditional storage technology and most of the time, the storage space a laptop comes with does not really matter as it can be upgraded anytime by simply swapping it for a new one.
Lately, newer storage technologies have surfaced, like the flash memory or solid state hard drives. The solid state hard drives are normal hard drives but with immovable parts. In traditional hard drives, there are moving parts which help in reading different sectors which store files. Solid state drives are faster in sorting out files and that can be felt while working on the laptop. The latest storage technology is the flash memory which is really awesome in the speed in getting files out.
Flash memory storage options make laptops more expensive. It is to note here that flash memory cannot be upgraded, so if your laptop comes with flash memory, you are stuck with it until you decide to get a new laptop with a higher storage or just go for an external hard disk drive for secondary backup.

5. RAM (Memory)
Ram size is very important as it works hand in hand with the processor. Most laptops have 2 ram slots, except some netbooks that have just one slot. Most laptops come in half sizes per slot. For example, a laptop with ram size of 8GB comes with 4GB per slot. A laptop that comes with 8GB most likely can be upgraded to 16GB, which means both 4GB sticks will be changed out to double 8GB sticks. If it needs to be upgraded to 12GB, this means one 4GB stick will be removed and an 8GB stick would be added to the 4GB to make it 12GB ram.
So for a laptop which would be used for normal typing work and web browsing, 2GB ram would be alright. For optimum speed, we recommend a minimum of 4GB RAM size. Gaming and video rendering would require a RAM size for 8GB ram and above.

6. Screen size
There are questions to ask when it comes to screen size. Firstly, will you be taking the laptop around? Do you need the screen to be large for the kind of work you do? Mini laptops with screen size of 10”- 11.6” can be taken around it is mostly used for normal typing work. For graphics, design, photo and video editing work, you are better off with a laptop screen size from 15.6”- 17”.

Now that you know how to choose the Right Laptop for you need
Its great you choose the Right Source also..

Download Our Price list Here --> http://www.repairam.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Laptop-January-Pricelist-NerdBevy.pdf

What would be your Laptop Spec Preference ?
Also Feel Free to ask for a Recommendation if you plan on getting a new Laptop soonest.

Drop as a comment here --> http://www.repairam.com/diys/buying-the-right-laptop/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buying The Right Laptop by mazeltov(m): 4:15pm On Jan 23, 2016
@real4ayo . i am planning to buy a lato very soon but i really want to use it basically for heavy graphic design but recently i have noticed some irregularities about these laptops.
for example I compare two HP laptops; one is Core i3 and the other is dualcore but believe you me, the one with dual core processor speed is higher than the one with Corei3. Not only that, the one with dualcore has higher Graphic memory than the one with Corei3.
Please i want you to expalin this to me.
Secondly, please tell me what suppose to be the priority of a graphic designer planing to buy a new Laptop, should it be the Ram of a laptop like 2gig 4gig and above or should it be the model of the laptop like Dualcore, Corei5, Corei3 e.t.c or should it be the Graphic memory of the laptop ? or should it be the processor speed of a laptop? please enlighten me on this webs of confusion

1 Like

Re: Buying The Right Laptop by Jascon4: 6:27pm On Jan 23, 2016
real4ayo:
It's that time of the year. That time, when we all want to change our gadgets, just because it is a new year. Happy New Year to you all by the way.
Today I would be giving Tips on things to look out for, when getting a Laptop

1. Requirement
Firstly, what are your requirements for a new laptop? It's very important to know what you need your new laptop for. Is it an upgrade of your current unit or a direct replacement? Do you just need it for normal daily typing, viewing documents, and watching movies? Or do you need it to run heavy software like Photoshop, AutoCAD, Revit, Adobe Premier, etc.

2. Processor
The requirement factor leads directly here. Once you know what your requirements for a new laptop are, you can find out the kind of processor you need to be searching for. There are two main brands of processors, which are AMD and Intel.

AMD Processors give more affordability and they give cheaper options for users who are looking at getting a new laptop on a budget. The downside to AMD processors is its overheating issues, which most of the time gets the VGA cards on motherboards damaged if not well managed.

At [url]RepairAm.com[/url] we have had to Repaired a lot Amd Processor Laptop with the overheating issue. We always recommend Intel processors as they are more durable and a bit affordable. There is really no point going for a laptop you can afford too easily and not get the best off it. It is most important to spend right and get the best out of the laptop you get.
If you need a laptop for typing, watching movies and viewing documents purpose, then our recommendation in ascending order would be Intel Atom, Intel Celeron, Intel Pentium, Intel Dual-core and Intel Core i3 with a speed from 1.2Ghz to 2.3Ghz.

If you need the Laptop for Graphics related work, video rendering, gaming, or you just need a super-fast Laptop, then I would recommend (Least to Best)- Intel core i3, Intel core i5, Intel core i7.

3. Graphics Card
Once you have chosen the processor, the next thing to look at is the graphic card. If you are into graphics work, like video rendering or gaming, then you need to worry about the Graphics card. If you are not into any of that, then you are fine with a normal Intel graphics card.
However if you need the laptop for gaming, graphics and designing, or video rendering, you need a laptop with either an AMD Radeon (formerly ATI Radeon graphics ) or an NVidia Graphics Card. Lately, most people prefer NVidia Graphics, however the important thing to note is the Dedicated Ram to the Graphics. You could either have 512MB, 1GB dedicated, 2GB or even 4GB dedicated (least to best). So the choice is yours.
P.S: The Processor and Graphics card cannot be upgraded in laptops most of the time, so it's very important to buy and choose what suits your purpose.

4. Storage Drive
The hard drive is the part that has the storage space in any laptop. The hard drive is a traditional storage technology and most of the time, the storage space a laptop comes with does not really matter as it can be upgraded anytime by simply swapping it for a new one.
Lately, newer storage technologies have surfaced, like the flash memory or solid state hard drives. The solid state hard drives are normal hard drives but with immovable parts. In traditional hard drives, there are moving parts which help in reading different sectors which store files. Solid state drives are faster in sorting out files and that can be felt while working on the laptop. The latest storage technology is the flash memory which is really awesome in the speed in getting files out.
Flash memory storage options make laptops more expensive. It is to note here that flash memory cannot be upgraded, so if your laptop comes with flash memory, you are stuck with it until you decide to get a new laptop with a higher storage or just go for an external hard disk drive for secondary backup.

5. RAM (Memory)
Ram size is very important as it works hand in hand with the processor. Most laptops have 2 ram slots, except some netbooks that have just one slot. Most laptops come in half sizes per slot. For example, a laptop with ram size of 8GB comes with 4GB per slot. A laptop that comes with 8GB most likely can be upgraded to 16GB, which means both 4GB sticks will be changed out to double 8GB sticks. If it needs to be upgraded to 12GB, this means one 4GB stick will be removed and an 8GB stick would be added to the 4GB to make it 12GB ram.
So for a laptop which would be used for normal typing work and web browsing, 2GB ram would be alright. For optimum speed, we recommend a minimum of 4GB RAM size. Gaming and video rendering would require a RAM size for 8GB ram and above.

6. Screen size
There are questions to ask when it comes to screen size. Firstly, will you be taking the laptop around? Do you need the screen to be large for the kind of work you do? Mini laptops with screen size of 10”- 11.6” can be taken around it is mostly used for normal typing work. For graphics, design, photo and video editing work, you are better off with a laptop screen size from 15.6”- 17”.

Now that you know how to choose the Right Laptop for you need
Its great you choose the Right Source also..

Download Our Price list Here --> http://www.repairam.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Laptop-January-Pricelist-NerdBevy.pdf

What would be your Laptop Spec Preference ?
Also Feel Free to ask for a Recommendation if you plan on getting a new Laptop soonest.

Drop as a comment here --> http://www.repairam.com/diys/buying-the-right-laptop/

Nice
Re: Buying The Right Laptop by real4ayo(m): 7:01pm On Jan 23, 2016
mazeltov:
@real4ayo . i am planning to buy a lato very soon but i really want to use it basically for heavy graphic design but recently i have noticed some irregularities about these laptops.
for example I compare two HP laptops; one is Core i3 and the other is dualcore but believe you me, the one with dual core processor speed is higher than the one with Corei3. Not only that, the one with dualcore has higher Graphic memory than the one with Corei3.
Please i want you to expalin this to me.
Secondly, please tell me what suppose to be the priority of a graphic designer planing to buy a new Laptop, should it be the Ram of a laptop like 2gig 4gig and above or should it be the model of the laptop like Dualcore, Corei5, Corei3 e.t.c or should it be the Graphic memory of the laptop ? or should it be the processor speed of a laptop? please enlighten me on this webs of confusion

Thank you for reaching me

As a Graphic Designer..

Its important you consider:

1.) Type of Graphic Card - Nvadia Preferable
2.) Graphics card Dedicated memory - from 1gb upwards depending on the requirement for the app you use
3) Processor - Core i3 , upwards
4.) Processor Speed - 2.0Ghz upwards or else a Dual core with 2.5Ghz speed might be faster than an intel core i3 with 1.7Ghz... also its great to consider a 4th-5the generation Processor
5.) Ram Size - 8gb upwards if you doing Heavy Graphics

you can reach me on 08188750140 if you have further questions
Re: Buying The Right Laptop by mazeltov(m): 8:17pm On Jan 24, 2016
real4ayo:

Thank you for reaching me

As a Graphic Designer..

Its important you consider:

1.) Type of Graphic Card - Nvadia Preferable
2.) Graphics card Dedicated memory - from 1gb upwards depending on the requirement for the app you use
3) Processor - Core i3 , upwards
4.) Processor Speed - 2.0Ghz upwards or else a Dual core with 2.5Ghz speed might be faster than an intel core i3 with 1.7Ghz... also its great to consider a 4th-5the generation Processor
5.) Ram Size - 8gb upwards if you doing Heavy Graphics

you can reach me on 08188750140 if you have further questions
thanks a lot for replying me. but what do u mean by Nvidia graphic card and dedicated graphic memory

(1) (Reply)

Unlocked Mtn Glo Etisalat Spectranet Swift Mifi Needed! / Help!!!!!!!!!!!! How To Convert .btd To .doc (microsoft Word Document) / Sleek US Used Leap Laptop At 50k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.