Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,089 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:27 AM

First Experience In U.S ; How I Was Scammed The First Time I Traveled - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / First Experience In U.S ; How I Was Scammed The First Time I Traveled (2159 Views)

Man And His Four Daughters Die In Car Crash In U.S. (Photos) / How People Traveled To Onitsha Before The Construction Of The Niger Bridge / Suicidal Nigerian Man Who Was Scammed In Dubai Tells His Pathetic Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Experience In U.S ; How I Was Scammed The First Time I Traveled by onismate: 3:20am On Jan 22, 2016
Growing up as a village boy in Koko, Delta state, my brothers and sisters, life wasn’t so easy. I remembered the time I and my siblings used to take pap with rice. You can imagine that kind of food. Or, back in the days when I was in 200 level. I and my roommate use to take noodles and garri for supper. We go first chop noddles of N60 then top it up with garri and N20 fried fish from Mama Cambodia back in Delsu, Abraka.
I was fortunate enough to be the only one that went through university education out of my the 4 children my parents gave birth to. Though no money but we shah rugged am. I finished from Delsu, did my NYSC in Lagos state. Fortunately, I was retained at the multinational company I served. Infact, my parents were full of joy and happiness. “My pikin dey work for big office for Lagos,” my dad would tell his friends. Barely 2 weeks I started my new work, my dad had already spread the news to almost everyone in Koko, say him pikin, his beloved son don get better work for Lagos. According to my younger sister, “Person no hear word for daddy again oo.” The old man was just using me to brag to his friends, as if I had landed a big contract worth millions. Na just job I get ooo.
4 months into my job, I was part of the 4 people from the ICT department sent on an assignment to Port Harcourt. But it was unfortunate, due to some form of disagreement among us, we couldn’t bring out a good results. The infightings, arguments were much. Everyone was proving superior to the other. Dem no even allow me talk sef, just because they were senior colleagues. They don’t want my input, its just for me to follow them. The office heard about what was going on and recalled of us back. “Dat one na real query we wan go face,” I thought to myself.
When we got back to the office, the company pardoned us. But I was scared when I received a note that the Oga at the top wants to see me in his office. Na so fear come hold me. Because I don’t want to be sacked. Many thoughts were flipping through my mind. What happened in Port Harcourt wasn’t my fault oo.
I got to his office and greeted him. With a warm smile he responded and told me to sit down. He told me that company would be sending 8 people to the U.S for a one week internship program. He said he doesn’t know if I would love to join them. Chaii, na who no like better thing! Who no go like join this people. He was even trying to convince me to join them since I was the youngest employee and that the internship would help develop me. Na so I jump up with excitement. “I would gladly accept to be part of it,” I said to him. Na so I leave him office very very happy. That same day, the list of the people travelling were released and my name was there. Chaiiii, I was so happy. Because I just started work some few months back. On a normal circumstance, I wouldn’t have been among, I was still young in the company and the senior colleagues are still there. Where e reach me for the company!
I got home home and called my parents in Delta state to give them the good news. Na so my papa shout, “Oghene Biko. My pikin wan go see Obama.” I laughed as he said that. It looked as if the energy in my family was charged up just because I told them I was travelling to US.
Before I knew what was happening, people from my village, the uncles and relatives I don’t even know, all started calling me that they heard I was travelling to the US. Na who come tell them. My sister said if I had known I should have not told our dad that I was travelling, that the man has spread the news all over koko. Chaiii, this man don kill me with him mouth diarrhea. Is it a crime to tell ones father he was travelling! Why my own come different. My sister said I need to see how people are trooping to our house in Koko to beg fro favour from dad. As if his son is now a millionaire. I never make money when this man (my father) dey do this thing. What of if I come get money, only God know wetin he go do. Everyone that sees my siblings would just ask, “we hear say your Brother don travel.” The news don spread gan for Koko, as if I was the first person in Koko that would be travelling to the U.S.
As time went on, plans and prparations began towards my travelling. That would be my first time of traveling out of the country.
Three days to my departure for U.S, this particular evening i came back from work. After taking my dinner, I got a call in which the number was not registered on my phone. Na so I pick the call oo. And it was victoria, a girl that stays towards the end of my street in the former place I stayed at surulere where I served. I was surprised to get her call. She asked me how I was doing and I told her I was doing well. She said she would like to visit me the next day. As she talked of visiting me, na so my hormone rise up. Why does she want to visit me! Abi my papa don also tell her say I dey soon enter yanke! Mba nu, my dad doesn’t know victoria nah. Still talking on the phone, she said I should give her my address so she could come visit me. Na so I come dey wonder why dis girl wan see me! I asked if there was any problem and she said “No,” but she just want to come and visit me since it has been a while. “Is it a crime to come and visit a special friend?” she asked, I laughed and told her “no.” She tried being very friendly and flirty while we spoke on the phone. I gave her what she wanted. After the call, I began wondering. This was a girl I asked out couple of times and she was turning me down. She no dey even dey give me face. No regard for me. She kept on playing me even when I sometimes dey send her money. Na guys with beta ride she dey like. I will send her an “Hi” message on whatsapp. It would take her 24 hours to reply it, but she go dey online oo. Sometimes if I even send her message, she would see it but reply in one week time. She played me sotey I became tired and gave up, moved on with my life. I come dey wonder who he was referring as special! What changed her! What made her to call me? “well I will find out the next day when she comes,” I thought to myself.
The next day, victoria bombarded me with calls. She was checking up on me, wants to know where I was, if I had gotten home. She said if she can come to my office so we could go home together. Na so me tell her a big “No oooo.” I don’t even want her to come to my office. She had only been there once when I brought her, I was still a corper. But now, mba.
As victoria’s calls where bombarding my phone, na so my people for Koko still dey call me. The relatives I have never met in my life, some where calling me, telling me to buy them bread when coming back from America. Some will tell me that when I get there, I should remember to come back and take their children. The one wey pain me pass be say. My dad called me and told me that one of our relatives I have never even met or heard about said he wants to give me something to fortify myself so Oyibo people will not use me for rituals. Chaiii, na so I laugh. And that the man also want to give me something to give to his son who travelled 20 years ago to U.S and they are yet to hear from him. And wetin com be my business. If he wants to see his pikin, why can’t he do the juju. Shey na bread I wan go buy for America. I was only going there for a one week internship programme and not to start looking for lost person that only God knows were he is.
Immediately I was closing from work, stepping out of my office building, victoria called me. Na so I come dey wonder wetin dey shark dis girl for were I dey! I told her I was on the way home. Fortunately, as I was entering my street in the car with my colleague. I met victoria. I guessed she was trying to locate my house. I had to tell my colleague to drop me there while I took victoria to my place. She was amazed at my house when we got there. Level don change ooo. No be the other one room wey she take know me. But I didn’t tell her that it was a top staff of my company that gave me the house because his son relocated to London, so she allowed me occupy the one room self contain apartment. It apartment had already been furnished sef before I moved in.
Well I come dey form for victoria. She tried playing with me that I had forgotten about her. And that she was yet to get a job after our passing out. Na how that one take consign me! I encouraged her. I asked her what she will take, she said suya and sharwama. “Hmmmm.. na thunder go fire this girl.” If na jass she carry come, this one no go affect me. She thought she was talking to the former me, wey no get liver. Now I can’t be fooled. She never even tell me the purpose of her coming and she dey order for suya, ice cream and sharwama.
I laughed when she called the suya and sharwama. I told her not to worry, we would get the suya * me get suya for her! she go wait tire*
We started talking and he told me that she heard I would be travelling to the U.S. I asked who told her and she said it was one of our friends. I no even bother to tell ask who the friend is. I only blamed my mouth that is leaking. I told one person and they told the others. After talking for a while, I made noddles and we ate. I noticed victoria was becoming friendly. The victoria I knew before does’t even allow me hold her hands. This one, na she dey draw closer to me to hold me. She was just play touching me. Time dey go 8:30pm and she never make any move to go. Though we were enjoying each other’s company. She reminded me of the suya and sharwama. I told her that when she’s going we would branch and get it for her. na so she tell me say she no go that night ooo. That she would be spending the night at my place. Na so I pinch myself. I don’t want it to look as if I was chasing her away. I didn’t say anything. I was very tired and I had already arranged the bag I will used to travel. I was feeling sleepy. I thought some negative ideas would come into my mind just because victoria was sleeping over, but it wasn’t so. Since I had deleted verything concerning her out of my memory. No single feeling or affection for her. For me, I no get time for her. I was just forcusing on making money and pick my family up.
Na so me lye down for bed as I leave her. But the girl no free me. She came and lay with me. Before we knew what was happening, it happened. We went to cloud 9. Me no send ooo, but I don’t love her any more.
The next morning, I woke up early enough and prepared to leave. I would be leaving to the office and from there would move to the airport. So I no come back house again. I woke victoria up so she could prepare and leave. Na so this girl talk say she no go leave oo. I told her I wasn’t coming back to the house and I would leave to the states from the office. She said I should drop my house key with her, say she go stay for the house and wait for me. “Lai-lai,” I thought to myself. This one no go happen. I told her I can’t leave the key with her. “Are you sending me out of your house,” she screaming at me. Me I no even talk anything. Na make she just comot for my house. She started abusing me and calling me all sorts of names as she dresses up. Na so this girl tell me say I wicked, that I used her. she come dey swear for her papa, mama and generations think say na me she dey swear for. She finally left the house. I arranged it and left for the office.
And the journey began. From Murtala Muhammed international airport to Newyork. I was very excited. Come see as my body dey shake as I dey inside plane. I brought out my phone to take pictures, as I see my team lead face as he dey look me, I placed my phone back into my pocket. That kind look that says “this akata village boy dey travel for first time.”
As we landed in Newyork, as the immigration finished checking us in. I brought out my phone and gave to one of my colleague to snap me at the airport. My team lead was looking at me in a weird manner. Me I no send am. I ignored him. After all, he can’t fire me. I took the photos. Na wetin I go just upload for facebook, I go take am do small shakara say I dey obodo oyibo.
We got to the hotel we lodged, I called my family immediately with the hotel line. I first called my dad and he was just so screaming.
Daddy – Hello
Me – papa na me
Daddy – na you who ? who be u?
Me – pa pa na your pikin (called my name)
Daddy --- Ehhhhhh, (Starts shouting).
Me --- laughing …
Daddy --- so you don land
Me --- yes ooo, Papa I don land
Daddy --- Yes oohhh, my picking don reach America
Me – (laughing). Papa e don do abeg
Daddy --- you don see Obama?
Me --- no worry if I see am, I go greet am for you.
Daddy – yes greet Obama for me. And if you dey come back, buy something come for us
My papa no greet cut phone ooo. He started telling me to buy something for his relatives. Na so I cut the phone. I called my mum and other siblings before dropping the phone. The next day was a Monday, the internship programme started in Manhattan.
It was indeed a hectic programme with a diverse practical sessions. It finally ended on the Friday. And we have been scheduled to leave on Sunday.
The next day was a Saturday and two of my female colleagues were preparing to go to shopping. My eye been dey there to follow them but I began imagining, how will I be following females to shopping, and they are in there early 40s. If they were 20s, that one for good but they are 40s. It looked weird. My other colleagues were old men of about 50s and 60s. They don’t have any interest in shopping. Kaiii, and I brought about $1200 specifically for shopping. And almost all my colleagues that came for this internship, that was not their first time in US except me. Some of them have families and relatives staying in the states so they know routes. I told one of my male senior colleague that I would love to shop. He said I should exercise patience that his nephew is on his way coming. He was taking him to a show so maybe after the show; he can take me to go shopping. Say “Okay oo.”
Na so the bobo arrive ooo. See fresh frosh boy with American accent wey dey tear belle. I heard he was born bread in the states. His name is ofor. They said they were going to magic (illusion) show. Which kind thing be dis. I even thought it was a music show with Jay z or Beyonce. Magic show! Where people perform magic. Well I joined them since they said they would take me to where I will shop after the show. Na so we drive oo. He took us to a place they refer to as “theater district” in midtown west in that Manhattan, Newyork. As we got to the place, it was an open air with different kinds of magicians and many divided in groups. Some groups are with some magicians while other with another magicians. I wasn’t feeling comfortable with the magical stuff but I had to take that way. But one caught my attention. I don’t know if it was magic he was doing or he was just giving out brand new Iphones as gift. Na so I enter there while ofor and my colleague dey one side they watch another magician.
At the place I was, the man would just spread brand new Iphone 6 on the table and ask people to identify the one that he marked below. Anyone that could do it takes the phone. “Hmmm, this one sweet oo,” I thought to myself. He brought out 10 iphone 6 from a bag. He put a red tag below 6 of the phones, spread and scattered them on the table. He asked people to identify the ones with the red tag. Who ever that was able to identify any of the phones with the tag takes the phone. Na so people dey identify come dey win ooo. The thing come sweet me for body. I decided to try it out. If I fit win like 20 iphones carry go naija. I will sell them and make money.
The man brought out 6 iphones 6 from the bag and tagged 3 with a red tags below them. He scattered them on the table and asked anyone to identify just one with a red tag. Na so me just stretch my hand go were the table dey. I just picked one of them, and there you go, there was a red tag under it. See as people come dey hail me for their. I was happy that I had won an iphone 6. Na so the man say make I drop the phone oo. I said that I will re-do it again. I asked why and he said I was supposed to pay $100 to participate in the game. “So they pay to participate in the game?” I asked. People there said yes. So na because of $100 this man wan collect that iphone 6 from me. I don’t people there to see me that I was just coming to America for the first time. I brought out my wallet, took out $100 and gave to the man. He said I should drop the phone so I can replay the game. According to his explanation, I have to pay first before playing so the one I played and win was invalid. So now that I have paid, I any game I play is valid and if I win, I will take it. Well I gave him back the phone and played again. As usual he brought out 6 iphones and tagged 3. He scattered them on the table. I was confident I will win. My mind never went if it was a scam or fake magic because I believed this was America, no be Naija. I was busy thinking of even forgetting about the shopping Ofor wants to take me to. Make I just use my $1200 play this game come win 12 iphones. I will send them in Naija and make cool money.
Na so I picked the wrong one. $100 don go be dat. I tried the second tried the second time and lost. $200 don go. I began wondering how come I was loosing now that I placed my money. When my money was not on it, I didn’t loose. And how come ladies that before me were winning. As I was about to play the third one, ofor and my colleague came to were I was and asked us to leave for the shopping. Kaii, my $200 no go just go like nah. I must win something. They weren’t aware that I was playing the game with my money until I told them. Na so my colleague laugh me ehh. They said I should forget about it that it was just magic. My colleague said I can’t win that it’s just magic. Even if I pick the right one, they would change it to the wrong one. Ofor agreed that people do win but on slim chances. So na so my $200 go just go. Well I heeded to their advise when ofor said I shouldn’t worry, that he would give me back the $200. The crowd there was much. As we struggled to leave there, I was still holding my wallet on my hand. As I was about putting it into my trouser pocket, it fell on the floor. I turned around to pick it, behold another guy had already picked it and gave to me. I thanked him while we left for the shopping. When we got to the mall. It was a moderate priced shop according to ofor. The least shirt should there was about $47. My colleague and ofor selected some few clothes also too. Na so I select 4 shirts and 3 jean trousers. I dipped my hand into my pocket and brought out my wallet to pay. I opened my wallet, behold there was no money inside it. This one na one chance. I began emptying my pockets and nothing was inside them. It seem I had been pick pocketed. It was my colleague who later paid for the clothes I bought, that when we get back to Nigeria, I will pay back. So na gbese I come enter. that one na my one month salary na im I dey owe my colleague.
It was really a terrible experience for me. I wasn’t happy. Ofor gave me the $200 he promised me. Of course he’s from a wealthy family. How I was pick pocketed, I could just recall but I feel it was were my wallet fell or na the magic wey the iphone man do!
We finally left the US and returned to Nigeria. All in all, it was happy for me. Since then, I have traveled more than three times to the states.

http://www.hovabuzz.com/frontline/1083-my-experience-during-my-first-visit-to-america-and-how-i-was-scammed

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: First Experience In U.S ; How I Was Scammed The First Time I Traveled by ichommy(m): 3:40am On Jan 22, 2016
Wow cheesy
Re: First Experience In U.S ; How I Was Scammed The First Time I Traveled by LONJITARLE(m): 3:49am On Jan 22, 2016
that was realli long..

but curiosity dragged me to the end..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: First Experience In U.S ; How I Was Scammed The First Time I Traveled by Mrbigman1(m): 4:07am On Jan 22, 2016
Patience made me read through.

Thank God say u prick no mis too. Lol

1 Like

Re: First Experience In U.S ; How I Was Scammed The First Time I Traveled by emmchi(m): 4:13am On Jan 22, 2016
Could someone summarize?
Re: First Experience In U.S ; How I Was Scammed The First Time I Traveled by sampsondeen(m): 4:21am On Jan 22, 2016
Don't be surprised when you start watching your own story in a Nollywood movie...

I like your story..It's too real
From d Koko village to Victoria...to pple asking for bread from America, to fortification against rituals...to taking pictures at the airport, to the magic show...to the boutique and finally to the gbese you incurred

All is just too funny for me not to roll on the flow
Re: First Experience In U.S ; How I Was Scammed The First Time I Traveled by Nobody: 4:34am On Jan 22, 2016
Na wah o na movie script be this... Op how long did it take u to write this.?

1 Like

Re: First Experience In U.S ; How I Was Scammed The First Time I Traveled by ministeriallist: 4:43am On Jan 22, 2016
The next nollywood movie! Too long to be read.
Re: First Experience In U.S ; How I Was Scammed The First Time I Traveled by justi4jesu(f): 7:36am On Jan 22, 2016
Next time, Space your write up
Re: First Experience In U.S ; How I Was Scammed The First Time I Traveled by agarawu23(m): 7:46am On Jan 22, 2016
"Following"

Will read later
Re: First Experience In U.S ; How I Was Scammed The First Time I Traveled by Nobody: 9:44am On Jan 22, 2016
Lol. OP wanna play kalokalo. Pele . Oyinbo don kalonize you finally. The slave trade wey them use our forefathers for never reach them, them cum use brain collect additional $200 join . Chai . Ur village people follow u go Amelica . Olohun
Re: First Experience In U.S ; How I Was Scammed The First Time I Traveled by faray: 3:48pm On Jan 22, 2016
BRB
Re: First Experience In U.S ; How I Was Scammed The First Time I Traveled by worry359(m): 4:43pm On Jan 22, 2016
It always seems strange to me when people post stories
and are proud of telling everyone how silly they have been
as if it is something clever they have done.
Re: First Experience In U.S ; How I Was Scammed The First Time I Traveled by Nobody: 9:16pm On Jan 22, 2016
worry359:
bro it's called being real ok, almost everyone have scammed at least once in a life time or would you prefer he types how he scammed the oyibos 5000 dollars and left?

3 Likes

Re: First Experience In U.S ; How I Was Scammed The First Time I Traveled by Greatidonis: 10:23am On Jan 23, 2016
worry359:
Bro stop that, you mean you don't know that people just had one or 2 things to learn there?

2 Likes

Re: First Experience In U.S ; How I Was Scammed The First Time I Traveled by Originalsly: 2:26am On Jan 24, 2016
worry359:
There is a lot for people to learn from him sharing his experience. He kept it real. @topic... it must be he was at Times Square where tourists flock and the "magicians" and others go to hustle since tourists are easy prey. For his loss of money...whoever picked up his wallet is the one/member of the pick pocket crew.Nice write up.
Re: First Experience In U.S ; How I Was Scammed The First Time I Traveled by BlessedNkem(m): 2:44am On Jan 25, 2016
First of all Introduction,Na me be d President,Chairman and Commander in Chief Of SRA(Silent Readers Association),God bless you all for your useful contributions,Abeg Any Nigerian around Bowie or Fort Washington Maryland?I just dey bored here ooo

1 Like

Re: First Experience In U.S ; How I Was Scammed The First Time I Traveled by masties2(f): 9:45am On Jan 26, 2016
Onismate I need to pick your brain. You never cease to amaze me with your imagination. Welldone
Re: First Experience In U.S ; How I Was Scammed The First Time I Traveled by onismate: 9:52am On Jan 26, 2016
masties2:
Onismate I need to pick your brain. You never cease to amaze me with your imagination. Welldone
. Hahahaha.. lolz.. thank you madam

(1) (Reply)

Any Nigerian In Madagascar? How Do You Survive / Please Is It Possible For NDLEA To Hold A Package That Is Not Related To Drugs? / Is There A Cinema In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.