Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,446 members, 7,812,365 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:18 PM

Please I Just Want The Chemistry Students To Help Answer This Question - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Please I Just Want The Chemistry Students To Help Answer This Question (817 Views)

Active Researchers In Physics, Chemistry And Nanotechnology (what's Your 'λ'?) / What On Earth Is Not Chemistry?????? / Chemistry Joke. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please I Just Want The Chemistry Students To Help Answer This Question by Nobody: 7:45pm On Jan 23, 2016
The flesh of an apple turns brown when exposed to air. What causes this reaction? And is there anyway of slowing down the browning process? thank u
Re: Please I Just Want The Chemistry Students To Help Answer This Question by rexbuton: 7:54pm On Jan 23, 2016
When an apple is cut (or bruised), oxygen is introduced into the injured plant tissue. When oxygen is present in cells, polyphenol oxidase (PPO) enzymes in the chloroplasts rapidly oxidize phenolic compounds naturally present in the apple tissues to o-quinones, colorless precursors to brown-colored secondary products

1 Like

Re: Please I Just Want The Chemistry Students To Help Answer This Question by rexbuton: 7:57pm On Jan 23, 2016
Ezymatic browning can be prevented by either reducing PPO oxidation activity or lowering the amount of substrate to which the enzyme can bind. Coating freshly cut apples in sugar or syrup can reduce oxygen diffusion and thus slow the browning reaction. Lemon or pineapple juices, both of which naturally contain antioxidants, can be used to coat apple slices and slow enzymatic browning. In addition, both fruit juices are acidic and the lower pH that they bring about causes PPO to become less active. Heating can also be used to inactivate PPO enzymes; apples can be blanched in boiling water for four to five minutes to nearly eliminate PPO activity.
Re: Please I Just Want The Chemistry Students To Help Answer This Question by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jan 23, 2016
rexbuton:
Ezymatic browning can be prevented by either reducing PPO oxidation activity or lowering the amount of substrate to which the enzyme can bind. Coating freshly cut apples in sugar or syrup can reduce oxygen diffusion and thus slow the browning reaction. Lemon or pineapple juices, both of which naturally contain antioxidants, can be used to coat apple slices and slow enzymatic browning. In addition, both fruit juices are acidic and the lower pH that they bring about causes PPO to become less active. Heating can also be used to inactivate PPO enzymes; apples can be blanched in boiling water for four to five minutes to nearly eliminate PPO activity.
nice one thanks
Re: Please I Just Want The Chemistry Students To Help Answer This Question by ValentineMary(m): 1:47am On Jan 25, 2016

When u expose iron to air, it oxidizes and turn brown. Same with apple because it is rich in iron.

(1) (Reply)

High Quality Event Stage with 2 years warrant / We Power Barbing Salons With Solar Energy! / Smok TFV12 First Look

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.