Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,332 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:01 PM

5 Common Foods That Nigerians Refrigerate But Shouldn’t - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / 5 Common Foods That Nigerians Refrigerate But Shouldn’t (1289 Views)

Foods You Shouldn’t Keep In Your Freezer / Why You Must Not Refrigerate These Foods / 5 Foods That Helps In Increasing Sperm Count. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

5 Common Foods That Nigerians Refrigerate But Shouldn’t by chop4naija: 11:20am On Jan 25, 2016
5 Common Foods that Nigerians Refrigerate But Shouldn’t.

1. Banana

Refrigerating banana seems to be a common practice among Nigerians, they believe that by so doing they can have a good taste of the fruit. But the truth is, banana can be refrigerated but at a very low temperature of 13 degrees Celsius. Anything more than 13 degree Celsius may leads to chilling injury such as internal browning and dull colour. Heat and cold can cause deterioration of food if not properly controlled. If banana is allowed to freeze (Kept beyond the normal temperature in the refrigerator), it suffers discolouration which may leave the food susceptible to attack by microorganisms.

Onion

This is another food that’s often refrigerated by some Nigerians. I was in a friend house a couple of days ago and decided to quench my taste with a chilled drink from his refrigerator, to my surprise i saw a piece of onion being refrigerated.The fact is when an onion is refrigerated, the cold convert the starch to sugar and the onion become so soft.The best place to keep onions is an open,dry and cool place.

Tomatoes

Many Nigerians are guilty of this act.When tomatoes are refrigerated , they tends to decay rapidly.Just like banana above, the temperature of tomatoes ought not to go beyond 13 degrees Celsius in the refrigerator.If the temperature is not controlled, the tomato’s aroma will degrade and also its texture.Always keep tomatoes on a flat surface at room temperature.

Potatoes

The refrigerator is the last place to keep your potato, it’s not the best place to keep your potatoes.When potatoes are kept in the refrigerator, the refrigerator cause a darken effect on the potato and makes it develop unpleasant sweet taste.Just like Onion above, the chilly environment of the refrigerator convert the potato’s starch to sugar.If you can always keep your potatoes at a normal room temperature, you will be able to have your potato in good form for a long time.

Bread

Some Nigerians also refrigerate bread.One of the biggest mistakes is to put bread in the fridge because it will dry out the bread quickly.Some Nigerians think by putting the bread in the fridge, they can maintain the freshness of the bread. The truth is, putting the bread in the fridge makes it hard and stale.Maintaining a room temperature for your bread is the best thing to do when keeping your bread.

Source: http://chop4naija.com/5-common-foods-that-nigerians-refrigerate-but-shouldnt/
Re: 5 Common Foods That Nigerians Refrigerate But Shouldn’t by Godfullsam(m): 11:30am On Jan 25, 2016
There is nothing wrong in refregrating your bread provided you tie the nylon very well.

This is the first time I will here that refregerating tomato make it rotten quickly o shocked! As I speak, I av tomatoes in my fridge for over a week and nothing happens to it.
Re: 5 Common Foods That Nigerians Refrigerate But Shouldn’t by chop4naija: 11:53am On Jan 25, 2016
Godfullsam:
There is nothing wrong in refregrating your bread provided you tie the nylon very well.

This is the first time I will here that refregerating tomato make it rotten quickly o shocked! As I speak, I av tomatoes in my fridge for over a week and nothing happens to it.
The bread part of the article is meant for those that put their bread in the fridge without wrapping it in a nylon.There is what we call re-crystallization of bread if kept in a fridge..

On tomato, tomato can be refrigerated but under a controlled temperature of 13 degrees celsius.

(1) (Reply)

What Tribe In Nigeria Cook The Best Jollof Rice / Ice Cream And Frozen Treat Maker For Sale / Escae University Porto-novo Republic Of Benin Admission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.