Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,062 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:29 AM

He Was Relevant To Literature Too (as Lyricist). - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / He Was Relevant To Literature Too (as Lyricist). (1036 Views)

Open Letter To Literature-landers- By D9ty7. / Literature/Writing Complaints Thread / Do The Nigeria Media Pay Enough Attention To Literature? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

He Was Relevant To Literature Too (as Lyricist). by nanaboi(m): 7:51pm On Jun 26, 2009
I'm surprised there's no thread on Michael Jackson here. He was a lyricist and that makes him every inch relevant to literature.
Today, it is common to see people describe something or someone as being "bad" when they actually mean 'very good' or 'very skilled'. Michael may not have been the originator of that usage, but he made it popular.

I'll go right on to my tribute anyway, but I resign its fate - my post, that is - to the discretion of the moderator.

You Live, Michael

You are black, You are white
You are Jack, You are Jill
You are BAD! You are Dangerous
You are the highest wrung, the intro rite
of every great perfomance, every blooming dance skill.

Thankyou for making bards of us
We excitedly tell what u have shown us.

We love you! (We don't)
U're d best! (U're a jest)
This phantasmagoria of your life
bears frail fragments of the possibility
that you are human.

Sustained supernovas happen but once
hence you happened.

You are kind, a lot of kids tell
You are creepy, a few kids did yell.
You are 1 of a kind. I tell
Lixy tells too
And Oprah, and Larry King and Obama and Ush
Everybody tells.

You live everytime we moonwalk
everytime we break or kick in a dance
everytime we give to charity
You live.
Wherever there's make-up or makeover
You live
You live

Even when we're long gone, you still will
L I V E
Re: He Was Relevant To Literature Too (as Lyricist). by maedan(f): 5:13pm On Jun 27, 2009
His words were inspirational, and sometimes,
Hard-hitting.
You're right, he contributed a lot with his lyricism
"I'm not gonna spend my life being a color."

He spoke out about injustice
With as much fervour as he wrote about love
He made us happy in our saddest times
His voice was sweet and angelic
How could we have forgotten him, even for a moment?

Until he died, I didn't realise how much I had stopped appreciating him
Now I will never forget him for such songs as---
Heal the World
They Don't Really Care About Us
Black or White
Man in The Mirror
Human Nature
We Are The World

Now that you've[i] Gone Too Soon,[/i] who'll be here to Heal The World? The Way You Make Me Feel, makes me want to Scream
I Want You Back, because You Rock My World; I Remember The Time, they said you were Bad
Who cares if you were Black or White? You were such a Thriller, and you're always be Unbreakable
Now u're Invincible, you're no more a Stranger In Moscow, no more a Smooth Criminal

You said "Leave Me Alone,", but they refused to Beat It
Now where ever you are, I know You Are Not Alone
Wish I could Rock With You, but you're Out of My Life----
Re: He Was Relevant To Literature Too (as Lyricist). by nanaboi(m): 6:54pm On Jun 27, 2009
@ maedan,

U ROCK!!! As he would say (especially at the 1995 MTV awards performance) "Thank you. I love you too."
Re: He Was Relevant To Literature Too (as Lyricist). by RuuDie(m): 7:29pm On Jun 27, 2009
some might say u're a smooth criminal
taking advantage of the lost children
they hounded you like a stranger in moscow
you told 'em all to beat it
they made you scream
and yell "leave me alone"
now you've gone too soon
they tried to make you look bad
but we know now for sure you are the man in the mirror
the one with so much human nature
who reached out to touch and heal the world
not caring for face black or white
letting us know we are the world
today you stare down at us speechless
your heart and the angels humming the earth song. . . . . . .
Re: He Was Relevant To Literature Too (as Lyricist). by maedan(f): 10:51pm On Jun 27, 2009
"You live everytime we moonwalk
everytime we break or kick in a dance
everytime we give to charity
You live.
[b]Wherever there's make-up or makeover[/b]You live
You live"

@ nanaboi, thanx, and lol at the highlighted lines. rotflmao grin
Re: He Was Relevant To Literature Too (as Lyricist). by jeythunder(m): 10:52am On Jul 01, 2009
You know, as soon as i got access to the internet after his death, i came to this forum to see what you guys had concerning him, to my suprise, i only saw it on the jokes board where they were making jest of him seriously. That saying of not missing the well till it's dry applies to me deeply. I had long forgotten about M J. So i feel somehow guilty about his death. Well, since we couldn't appreciate him while he was alive, let's give him the last honour of the dead and whatever those rumours where, whether true or false, let's bury the hatchet now.

(1) (Reply)

Looking For Short Article Writers (work From Home) / Amazon Billing Address / My Father's Man: A Short Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.