Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,205 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:43 PM

Travelling To Nigeria From UK Nigerian Passport Valid Less Than 6 Months - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Nigeria From UK Nigerian Passport Valid Less Than 6 Months (4380 Views)

Moving Back To Nigeria From USA / Travelling To Canada Part 11 / Travelling To Canada Part 9 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Travelling To Nigeria From UK Nigerian Passport Valid Less Than 6 Months by robert90: 5:25pm On Jan 26, 2016
Hello all,
I was wondering if anybody could help, I'm meant to be travelling from UK to Nigeria on April but my Nigerian passport expires in August and not sure if the Nigerian passport should be valid for 6 months.
Passports:
It says on this website: http://www.worldtravelguide.net/nigeria/passport-visa To enter Nigeria, a passport valid for a minimum of six months beyond the date of departure is required by all nationals referred to in the chart above. Chart above includes- CANADIAN, AUSTRALIAN, BRITISH, OTHER EU, USA. The thing that is confusing me is does the 6 month validity rule apply to only nationals from Canada, Australia, Britain, Other EU, USA or does it also mean that a Nigerian passport has to be valid for 6 months.
I have also been trying to contact the NHC in the United Kingdom but they have not been helpful in my case. I'm flying with BA and not sure how their policy operates. I would be really grateful to hear from you.

many thanks,

Robert.
Re: Travelling To Nigeria From UK Nigerian Passport Valid Less Than 6 Months by worry359(m): 5:49pm On Jan 26, 2016
International law says that you can enter your home country even with an expired passport.
You will probably have trouble boarding an aircraft with expired PP though!

The big problem are the criminals known as Nigerian immigration if they think they can bully you to "give them something!"

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Nigeria From UK Nigerian Passport Valid Less Than 6 Months by worry359(m): 6:45pm On Jan 26, 2016
Lexusgs:

A friend travelled from the UK, his passport was expiring on the same day of entry(klm).
He did not have any problems at the immigration in Lagos!!!

He was lucky, others even with valid paperwork have had problems.
I suppose it depends who is working that day and if they think that they can bully you.
Re: Travelling To Nigeria From UK Nigerian Passport Valid Less Than 6 Months by justwise(m): 8:22pm On Jan 26, 2016
robert90:
Hello all,
I was wondering if anybody could help, I'm meant to be travelling from UK to Nigeria on April but my Nigerian passport expires in August and not sure if the Nigerian passport should be valid for 6 months.
Passports:
It says on this website: http://www.worldtravelguide.net/nigeria/passport-visa To enter Nigeria, a passport valid for a minimum of six months beyond the date of departure is required by all nationals referred to in the chart above. Chart above includes- CANADIAN, AUSTRALIAN, BRITISH, OTHER EU, USA. The thing that is confusing me is does the 6 month validity rule apply to only nationals from Canada, Australia, Britain, Other EU, USA or does it also mean that a Nigerian passport has to be valid for 6 months.
I have also been trying to contact the NHC in the United Kingdom but they have not been helpful in my case. I'm flying with BA and not sure how their policy operates. I would be really grateful to hear from you.

many thanks,

Robert.

You have nothing to worry about. Can travel with that passport.
Re: Travelling To Nigeria From UK Nigerian Passport Valid Less Than 6 Months by robert90: 10:38am On Jan 27, 2016
Lexusgs:

It's valid. Enjoy your stay in Nigeria. Buy me something from the poundland!!!

Thank you so much for your help, yes I will enjoy my stay in Nigeria, thanks, I will be going to Lagos Island for the 1st time, I have never really explored Lagos, I always ust to fly from UK to Lagos and then go straight to the east the following day so I'm excited to see what Lagos brings. LOL poundland no wahala anything u want to chop from pound land you go chop now. I remember when my cousin came from Nigeria to the UK for the first time he was very excited about poundland, he bought so much stuff from poundland that when he went back to nigeria at the aiprot his baggage was excesss
Re: Travelling To Nigeria From UK Nigerian Passport Valid Less Than 6 Months by robert90: 10:57am On Jan 27, 2016
Lexusgs:

A friend travelled from the UK, his passport was expiring on the same day of entry(klm).
He did not have any problems at the immigration in Lagos!!!

Wow really, do you know when this happened and what airline he used to fly from the UK to Nigeria?
Re: Travelling To Nigeria From UK Nigerian Passport Valid Less Than 6 Months by robert90: 10:59am On Jan 27, 2016
justwise:

Thank you very much for your help
Re: Travelling To Nigeria From UK Nigerian Passport Valid Less Than 6 Months by robert90: 12:04pm On Jan 27, 2016
justwise:

Thanks
Re: Travelling To Nigeria From UK Nigerian Passport Valid Less Than 6 Months by robert90: 12:12pm On Jan 27, 2016
worry359:
International law says that you can enter your home country even with an expired passport.
You will probably have trouble boarding an aircraft with expired PP though!

The big problem are the criminals known as Nigerian immigration if they think they can bully you to "give them something!"

Thank you for your help, yes I thought as much with the airlines letting you board an aircraft with an expired passport? But would I have trouble boarding an aircraft with a passport that is less than 6 months valid. Yes I know about the Nigerian Immigration, I have had many experiences with them when they make the sounds, and ask to see your pp and ask where you are coming from and ask you to open your bag and ask "anything for your brother" I have learnt that you have to be rugged and firm with these people and I try my best to put on a Nigerian accent.
Re: Travelling To Nigeria From UK Nigerian Passport Valid Less Than 6 Months by Chocrae: 7:47pm On Apr 22, 2016
Hello guys, I'm also facing the same problem. I'm travelling out to Nigeria next month and my Nigerian passport expires in July. whilst it's been confirmed that travelling out shouldn't be a problem.....how about travelling back to the UK? Is the 6 months validity rule on passport going to be a problem entering back? Thanks in advance.
Re: Travelling To Nigeria From UK Nigerian Passport Valid Less Than 6 Months by yelei(m): 10:17am On Mar 04, 2023
Hi, how did this play out?

Were able to return to the UK?
Chocrae:
Hello guys, I'm also facing the same problem. I'm travelling out to Nigeria next month and my Nigerian passport expires in July. whilst it's been confirmed that travelling out shouldn't be a problem.....how about travelling back to the UK? Is the 6 months validity rule on passport going to be a problem entering back? Thanks in advance.
Re: Travelling To Nigeria From UK Nigerian Passport Valid Less Than 6 Months by ednut1(m): 10:28am On Mar 04, 2023
yelei:
Hi, how did this play out?

Were able to return to the UK?
the person you quoted has not been on nairaland since 2016
Re: Travelling To Nigeria From UK Nigerian Passport Valid Less Than 6 Months by yelei(m): 6:59pm On Mar 05, 2023
ednut1:
the person you quoted has not been on nairaland since 2016

Oh OK
I'd wanted as much input as I can get. Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians Living In Turkey I Need Your Help Pls Comment... / Flight & Hotel Reservation For Visa - Useful Resources / Bahrain Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.