Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,695 members, 7,809,622 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:03 PM

Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners - Computers (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners (25868 Views)

Mint LIKE NEW Laptops Available / Guides For Buying New Or Used Laptops For Beginners / What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by Capslock01: 10:02pm On Jan 28, 2016
Karleb:
Nice tips.

I could remember when I wanted to get my laptop, unlike android I knew nothing about Windows OS but I kept screaming "4Gb RAM, 500GB storage and Windows 8" and I got it, the only bad about the Laptop is just the Camera.

One tip though, go with extra cash.

You bought it at what price and where?
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by Karleb(m): 10:20pm On Jan 28, 2016
Capslock01:

You bought it at what price and where?

Computer Village.
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by Nobody: 10:30pm On Jan 28, 2016
i use a toshiba model.... with all specifications above..

the problem here is when trying to record videos, it doesn't make sound....
note: I DIDNT USE IT WITH A HEAR PIX ND IT IS HAVING SEPARATE PORT FOR MAC/PHONE

secondly how can i upgrade the ram from 4gb to 8gb

thanks in anticipation,,,,
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by Herrmes: 12:32am On Jan 29, 2016
MacBook Pro or nah
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by Nobody: 2:18am On Jan 29, 2016
chiedu7:
Generally a good write up but for

In this age that most software are 64bit, getting a machine with just 4GB of ram is like driving on a single carriage road instead of dual carriage or higher!
Speed is really restricted on single carriage road.

Likewise for 64bit machines which are now the standard, getting anything less than 6GB is simply putting bumps in your way.
8GB is ideal for most people but certainly not 4GB.

If you are gonna do things like Photoshop get at least 8GB.
where will someone get a laptop with 8gb ram i dont think they are available
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by LuckyLadolce(m): 7:53am On Jan 29, 2016
mokoshalb:
This Post is Exclusive from Mokoshalb Global Pimpz www.mokoshalb.com
Laptops are getting more powerful and thinner each day thanks to the ultrabook design features and new processors by Intel. Often people search for best laptops within their price range and they all they get is sponsored laptop recommendations. These paid reviews often glorify overpriced Apple Macbooks and does not do justice to other brands out there, e.g. Lenovo, Dell and Asus. But I am not going to debate which laptop is best or recommended for purchase in year 2016. Instead, I will give you important tips and checklist for buying a good laptop that will immensely help you with your Laptop purchase.

Guide and Tips for Buying a New Workstation Laptop:
1. Processor Architecture

The currently used high performance Processor microarchitecture by Intel is Broadwell series. Also, new architecture is coming early 2016 its called Skylake processors. Every new processor series promises improved GPU, CPU performance bundled with awesome battery life. So look for a laptop with newer CPU.
Intel Broadwell starts with 5xxx on processor model no.
Intel Skylake series starts with 6xxx
2. Battery Life

After the performance, the next is battery life. A decent laptop must have at least 2+ hours of battery life on a full charge. If it fails to deliver such usage time on battery, it’s time to skip that laptop.

3. Keyboard, Mouse and Webcam

Placement of input devices is very crucial. Make sure of the following:
Keyboards’ keys are properly placed, there has to be a little distance between them.
The touchpad should be in the middle and should not interfere when you’re typing.
Webcam must be placed in center, if its on the left-right, you’ll have a hard time adjusting with it.
4. Long Charger Cable

Pretty much self explanatory. Power brick must have long cable so you don’t have to stay near power socket all the time just to charge your laptop.

5. Avoid Graphic Card Unless Required

Graphic cards (GPU) are very power hungry and they can put a negative impact on the battery life or your machine. Also, the video card performance reduces as your laptop ages. It is best to avoid GPU unless you have real use for it (e.g. gaming, video editing). Intel is doing a great job with the new processors, the Broadwell, Skylake series CPU’s already have good dedicated graphics (Iris Pro) processors built-in.

6. Heating Issues

It’s best not to overlook heat factor. Overheating can cause laptop to malfunction, it can also reduce its life. If the laptop gets heat up even on low usage, avoid it at all cost because it can cause permanent burns on your Lap.

7. Build Quality

It is the very important thing to look for. Build quality has to be sturdy, check the overall laptop and examine its build quality, also check the LCD/LED hinges durability. If the laptop is made of cheap plastic/material, chances are it won’t survive in long run.

8. Good number of USB ports

I have this laptop with just 2 usb slots which is a pain. I have to use USB extension to connect additional devices. So make sure you get laptop with at least 3 to 4 usb ports.

9. Built-in Operating System

Windows 10 is now a default standard for all coming Laptops. It means drivers and software utilities will be that operating system. But what if you want to run a program that only runs on Windows 7 or 8.1? Always check backward driver and OS compatibility on manufacturer’s website.

10. Headphone and Mic Jack

Many laptops these days come with single dual-purpose 3.5mm audio jack that supports both Headphone/Mic input. I would suggest you to avoid it and get a machine with separate for Mic and Headphone slot.

11. Avoid Touchscreen (Hybrids)

The idea of touchscreen looks really appealing on a Laptop but trust me it isn’t. You might use your laptop touchscreen for a few days and then never use it again. Laptops are not Tablet replacement, they are heavy, they heat up pretty quickly on your lap. Not to mention the rotatable screen is fragile and can be easily broken.

12. Expensive is not always better.
This is not a case when buying a notebook. Many laptop manufacturers add premium price, addons such as extended warranty, software bundles which you’re not going to ever use. Avoid that.

13. Screen size

The screen size should be big enough at least 15 inches. Because looking at small screen for long hours can affect your eye sight and cause eye strain.

14. SD Card reader.

It is great to a have a built-in SD card reader. You don’t have to connect your camera through a data cable. So keep an eye on it.

15. RAM and Storage

If you are planning to use your laptop for web browsing, movies and a little bit of Photoshop, 4 GB ram is enough. If you going use memory intensive applications such as CAD, get a RAM upgrade. For Hard drive, you can get 500 GB or 1 TB, it totally depends on you. If you want speedy storage, get Solid State Drive (SSD).

16. HDMI, Ethernet and other ports

Make sure the laptop you are going to buy has all support for all these ports. HDMI will let you connect your Laptop to your TV for watching movies and sharing media. Ethernet (LAN) is good for transferring huge files to router or media server.

17. WiFi and Bluetooth.

They are standard for every machine nowadays. But if you have a dual band gigabit router installed at your house then double check if your Laptop supports gigabit WiFi.

My thinking capacity has come to an end, let me know if I am missing something. Nowadays, it is very hard to buy a laptop that fits your needs. I hope my checklist helps you in your next Laptop purchase.

To check out all image description, and further conclusions visit http://www.mokoshalb.com/2016/01/guides-for-buying-new-laptops-for.html
:::
pls can you help get a laptop? I really love this because it's coming the right time. This time am just planning to get a new laptop. Thanks. Pls PM me.
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by feaworaoja007: 8:22am On Jan 29, 2016
Hmmm..tnx so much! ...my laptop has all the mentioned,and i was ignorantly contemplating buying the "overpriced Mac/Apple cos of their sponsored review"?
This an eye opener;now i dont av 2 feel intimidated seeing people using "Apple" tongue
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by PNEUMA0001: 5:29pm On Jan 29, 2016
ipledge10:
Toshiba s55t-b5152
Display: 15.6 in Full HD TruBrite LED-backlit touchscreen (1920 x 1080), 10-finger multi-touch support
Processor: Intel Core i5-5200U 2.20 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 2.70 GHz
Memory: 4GB DDR3L 1600 MHz
Storage: 500GB 5400 RPM HDD
Operating System: Windows 8.1, 64-bit
Audio: Harmon/Kardon stereo speakers with DTS Sound
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 5500 with shared graphics memory
Ports: 2 USB 3.0 (1 with sleep & charge) • 1 USB 2.0 • HDMI • Headphone output/Microphone input combo • LAN (10/100/1000)
Camera: HD webcam
Dimensions: 14.96 x 10.30 x 0.78 in (379.98 x 261.62 x 19.81 mm)
Weight: 4.49 lbs (2.03 kg

how much does it cost. can one get 50 - 100 sets
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by PNEUMA0001: 5:59pm On Jan 29, 2016
[quote author=mokoshalb post=42352875]This Post is Exclusive from Mokoshalb Global Pimpz www.mokoshalb.com
Laptops are getting more powerful and thinner each day thanks to the ultrabook design features and new processors by Intel. Often people search for best laptops within their price range and they all they get is sponsored laptop recommendations. These paid reviews often glorify overpriced Apple Macbooks and does not do justice to other brands out there, e.g. Lenovo, Dell and Asus. But I am not going to debate which laptop is best or recommended for purchase in year 2016. Instead, I will give you important tips and checklist for buying a good laptop that will immensely help you with your Laptop purchase.

The currently used high performance Processor microarchitecture by Intel is Broadwell series. Also, new architecture is coming early 2016 its called Skylake processors. Every new processor series promises improved GPU, CPU performance bundled with awesome battery life. So look for a laptop with newer CPU.
2. Battery Life

After the performance, the next is battery life. A decent laptop must have at least 2+ hours of battery life on a full charge. If it fails to deliver such usage time on battery, it’s time to skip that laptop.

Keyboards’ keys are properly placed, there has to be a little distance between them.
The touchpad should be in the middle and should not interfere when you’re typing.
Webcam must be placed in center, if its on the left-right, you’ll have a hard time adjusting with it.
4. Long Charger Cable

Pretty much self explanatory. Power brick must have long cable so you don’t have to stay near power socket all the time just to charge your laptop.

Graphic cards (GPU) are very power hungry and they can put a negative impact on the battery life or your machine. Also, the video card performance reduces as your laptop ages. It is best to avoid GPU unless you have real use for it (e.g. gaming, video editing). Intel is doing a great job with the new processors, the Broadwell, Skylake series CPU’s already have good dedicated graphics (Iris Pro) processors built-in.

6. Heating Issues

It’s best not to overlook heat factor. Overheating can cause laptop to malfunction, it can also reduce its life. If the laptop gets heat up even on low usage, avoid it at all cost because it can cause permanent burns on your Lap.

7. Build Quality

It is the very important thing to look for. Build quality has to be sturdy, check the overall laptop and examine its build quality, also check the LCD/LED hinges durability. If the laptop is made of cheap plastic/material, chances are it won’t survive in long run.

I have this laptop with just 2 usb slots which is a pain. I have to use USB extension to connect additional devices. So make sure you get laptop with at least 3 to 4 usb ports.

Windows 10 is now a default standard for all coming Laptops. It means drivers and software utilities will be that operating system. But what if you want to run a program that only runs on Windows 7 or 8.1? Always check backward driver and OS compatibility on manufacturer’s website.

Many laptops these days come with single dual-purpose 3.5mm audio jack that supports both Headphone/Mic input. I would suggest you to avoid it and get a machine with separate for Mic and Headphone slot.

The idea of touchscreen looks really appealing on a Laptop but trust me it isn’t. You might use your laptop touchscreen for a few days and then never use it again. Laptops are not Tablet replacement, they are heavy, they heat up pretty quickly on your lap. Not to mention the rotatable screen is fragile and can be easily broken.

This is not a case when buying a notebook. Many laptop manufacturers add premium price, addons such as extended warranty, software bundles which you’re not going to ever use. Avoid that.

13. Screen size

The screen size should be big enough at least 15 inches. Because looking at small screen for long hours can affect your eye sight and cause eye strain.

14. SD Card reader.

It is great to a have a built-in SD card reader. You don’t have to connect your camera through a data cable. So keep an eye on it.

15. RAM and Storage

If you are planning to use your laptop for web browsing, movies and a little bit of Photoshop, 4 GB ram is enough. If you going use memory intensive applications such as CAD, get a RAM upgrade. For Hard drive, you can get 500 GB or 1 TB, it totally depends on you. If you want speedy storage, get Solid State Drive (SSD).

16. HDMI, Ethernet and other ports

Make sure the laptop you are going to buy has all support for all these ports. HDMI will let you connect your Laptop to your TV for watching movies and sharing media. Ethernet (LAN) is good for transferring huge files to router or media server.

17. WiFi and Bluetooth.

They are standard for every machine nowadays. But if you have a dual band gigabit router installed at your house then double check if your Laptop supports gigabit WiFi.

My thinking capacity has come to an end, let me know if I am missing something. Nowadays, it is very hard to buy a laptop that fits your needs. I hope my checklist helps you in your next Laptop purchase.

To check out all image description, and further conclusions visit http://www.mokoshalb.com/2016/01/guides-for-buying-new-laptops-for.html
[/quote
I need new 50 - 100 laptops with fair rice do you know where to get this
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by ipledge10(m): 7:20pm On Jan 29, 2016
PNEUMA0001:

how much does it cost. can one get 50 - 100 sets
it's around $500...I don't know because I don't sell laptop
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by nkemiano(m): 8:13am On Jan 30, 2016
we buy un repairable,scraps, unwanted
and damage Laptops here and we also
swap your old laptops for a better ones
hit me up asap let's connect @ 09082156579. we also sell laptop accessories like battery, ram, hard drive and flash drive.
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by Gerrard59(m): 10:20am On Jan 30, 2016
mokoshalb:

Thanks for your time to drop testimony!.. FP: lalasticlala
www.mokoshalb.com

What do you think of the Dell XP3 13 (2015)? Also I have searched the net for where to purchase it but haven't been successful, do please know where one can get it?

Informative article you got.
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by mokoshalb(m): 12:15pm On Jan 30, 2016
if you need advice on the one to buy, or you want to buy contact me on whatsapp:: 08060505755;
www.mokoshalb.com
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by chiedu7: 12:15am On Jan 31, 2016
Lilbrown007:
where will someone get a laptop with 8gb ram i dont think they are available

You can easily upgrade to around
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by Nobody: 7:53pm On Feb 01, 2016
chiedu7:

You can easily upgrade to around
upgrade how??
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by chiedu7: 1:36am On Feb 02, 2016
Lilbrown007:
upgrade how??
Buy memory and add to your laptop.

PS
Na so I do my own.
Mine came with 8GB and I added an extra 8GB.

So my latop now get 16GB and e dey fly like winch
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by chiedu7: 1:52pm On Feb 02, 2016
Lilbrown007:
upgrade how??

buy extra memory and install
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by Nobody: 7:08pm On Feb 04, 2016
chiedu7:

Buy memory and add to your laptop.

PS
Na so I do my own.
Mine came with 8GB and I added an extra 8GB.

So my latop now get 16GB and e dey fly like winch
> LIKE HOW MUCH DID U GET YOURS
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by chiedu7: 2:33pm On Feb 05, 2016
Lilbrown007:
> LIKE HOW MUCH DID U GET YOURS
got mine from yankee

I dey UK now, if u need I can source for you.
my BBM na
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by nadalion: 7:46am On Feb 13, 2016
undecided kiss i need help deciding on which laptop suits the 70k budget i have considering the fact that i need 500gb/hdd 4gb/ram plus i need a recent/good processor. Suggestions pleaseundecided undecided
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by bennyzer(m): 9:05pm On Feb 24, 2016
So on point.
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by goodnature: 10:31pm On Feb 29, 2016
Pls kindly guide concerning how I can use WINDOW XP to repair my laptop (not complete formating). Thanks!

2. Battery Life

4. Long Charger Cable

6. Heating Issues

7. Build Quality

13. Screen size

14. SD Card reader.

15. RAM and Storage

If you are planning to use your laptop for web browsing, movies and a little bit of Photoshop, 4 GB ram is enough. If you going use memory intensive applications such as CAD, get a RAM upgrade. For Hard drive, you can get 500 GB or 1 TB, it totally depends on you. If you wa
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by goodnature: 10:34pm On Feb 29, 2016

2. Battery Life

4. Long Charger Cable

6. Heating Issues

7. Build Quality

13. Screen size

14. SD Card reader.

15. RAM and Storage

If you are planning to use your laptop for web browsing, movies and a little bit of Photoshop, 4 GB ram is enough. If you going use memory intensive applications such as CAD, get a RAM upgrade. For Hard drive, you can get 500 GB or 1 TB, it totally depends on you.

Pls kindly guide me concerning how I can use WINDOW XP to repair my Laptop (not complete formatting). Thanks!
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by goodnature: 10:38pm On Feb 29, 2016
Pls kindly guide me concerning how I can use WINDOW XP to repair my Laptop (not total Formatting). Thanks!
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by eyems: 8:18am On Jun 18, 2016
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by mokoshalb(m): 7:14am On Jul 08, 2016
saintuu:
i use a toshiba model.... with all specifications above..

the problem here is when trying to record videos, it doesn't make sound....
note: I DIDNT USE IT WITH A HEAR PIX ND IT IS HAVING SEPARATE PORT FOR MAC/PHONE

secondly how can i upgrade the ram from 4gb to 8gb

thanks in anticipation,,,,
you should get 2 pieces of 4gb ram to replace it, but make sure your system is 64 bit...
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by mokoshalb(m): 7:15am On Jul 08, 2016
Lalasticlala Dominique Mynd44
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by prdeal: 12:33am On Apr 14, 2018
Looking for good user PC, user notebook? then visit this site, they have the best user notebook.
https://www.ricondizionatogarantito.it/
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by chidiogo123(f): 4:14pm On Apr 14, 2018
WhatsApp: 08172568455 for quality USA used laptops at affordable prices.
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by Mofetemi(m): 2:45pm On May 19, 2018
I am T.A, a JUMIA CONSULTANT. I assist people to make orders on Jumia-nigeria mall, www., without glitch for brand new items ranging: ALL ELECTRONICS- Smart Tvs, Led, Home theatres with Tv screen,stabilizers, and so on, ALL SHOES- MaleS, Kids and Female sneakers, trainers, formal, loafers, and so on, ALL CLOTHING-Males, Kids and Females shirts,polos, gowns,tops,shirts,boxers,pyjamas, and so on, ALL PHONES AND TABLETS- Different OS sizes, rams,roms, and so on, ALL HEALTH AND BEAUTY- Colognes,roll on,deodourants,make ups,and so on, ALL COMPUTING- Different Laptops,sizes,Rams,Processors, ALL HOME AND OFFICE GADGETS- hard nuts breakers blenders,warmers,microwaves, washing machines,irons,last longing standing rechargeable fans, generators, and so on, BABIES NECESSITIES- Diapers,toys, gadgets,floaters,seaters, walkers and so on, ALL BOOKS- From best sellers, CARs/SUVs/TRUCKs ACCESSORIES- Giant Tyres Inflator with light, Bluetooth car player with screen, and so on, AND ANYTHING THAT YOU CAN EVER THINK OF. I search them out for you!

SIX (6) Reasons Why You Should Place Your Orders Through Me:

1. YOU WILL ALWAYS RECEIVE DISCOINTS WHENEVER I PLACE ORDER FOR YOU WHETHER PROMO / DISCOUNT IS ON OR NOT! Sounds good!

2. You will receive your ordered item in any chosen address of yours within the country! Fast and reliable!

3. WHERE YOU RECEIVED AN ITEM THAT YOU ARE NOT SASTIFIED WITH, NOTIFY ME IMMEDIATELY AND THE ITEM SHALL BE RETREIVED FROM YOU WITHIN 7DAYS FROM DATE OF DELIVERY AND YOU SHALL BE REFUNDED YOUR FULL CASH POST 7DAYS OF RETRIEVER OF THE UNSATISFIED ITEM FROM YOU! So Simple!

4. I AM 24/7 AVAILABLE FOR ENQUIRIES AND GUIDELINES

5. With T.A, your ITEM and MONEY are continually safe!

6. YOU WILL LIVE TO RECOMMEND T.A ALWAYS!

OFFICE ADDRESS 1:
Marcia Pharmacy, Shop 21,22 & 29 Bukries Mall,
Omoleye Bus Stop, Ogijo, Ogun State.

OFFICE ADDRESS 2:
18, Nuga Lane,
Behind Satina Hotel,
Ijebu Ode,Ogun State.

FOR ENQUIRIES:
Whatsapp / Call: 08055793741,
Mail: mofemine@gmail.com

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is Your System Too Slow? Here's The Help You Need / Dell Inspiron 600m Ethernet Controller/lan Driver / Common Issues After Installing Windows 10 And Solutions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.