Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,992 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:27 AM

Major Things To Consider When Shopping For A Laptop - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Major Things To Consider When Shopping For A Laptop (1307 Views)

Useful Tips To Consider Before Buying A Second-hand Laptop / 6 Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop In Nigeria / What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Major Things To Consider When Shopping For A Laptop by shawlxAk(m): 7:11pm On Jan 27, 2016
With these few tips of mine, you can never go wrong when shopping for a laptop, I assure you! Read on..

CPU

The CPU handles the essential computation tasks. The speed of a processor, measured in MHz or GHz, determines how fast the CPU can process instructions. Technically, you will get the most performance at processor speeds of 2.0GHz or higher.

Another important aspect of the CPU is its number of cores. A core is a single processing unit. The more cores that a CPU has, the more instructions that can be processed at a time. It is advisable to buy a laptop with at least two cores.

Intel or AMD?

Intel and AMD are the two known CPU manufacturers. Intel-based systems are generally faster and more power efficient, albeit expensive.

AMD-based systems are relatively less expensive. Nonetheless, they tend to consume more power and produce more heat. AMD offers better integrated graphics, but all in all, Intel is superior because of its great speed. Go for an Intel-based PC.

RAM

At least 4GB of physical RAM, short and simple. RAM is where data is temporarily held while in use. If you will be doing a lot of multi-tasking (multiple applications running simultaneously), or multimedia-related tasks like audio/photo/video editing, then you will benefit from having more physical RAM.

STORAGE

Nowadays, there are two types of PC storage drives – Hard Disk Drive (HDD) and Solid State Drive (SSD). SSDs are faster, produce no noise and consume less power than the traditional HDDs. Nonetheless, SSDs are relatively more expensive and as such, most laptops still come with HDDs.

If you will be storing lots of data (videos, photos, music, etc), look for a laptop with as large a hard drive as possible. This shouldn't be a priority though, because you can always use an external storage drive.

GRAPHICS

Graphics units are either integrated or dedicated. If you will be playing 3D games a lot, consider getting a laptop with a dedicated graphics processing unit (ATI/AMD or Nvidia).

And there you have it! Good luck.

Source: http://sholadaitman.com/2016/01/major-things-to-consider-when-shopping-for-a-laptop/

1 Like

Re: Major Things To Consider When Shopping For A Laptop by Mrjo(m): 1:18pm On Jan 28, 2016
Thak u for that info.
Re: Major Things To Consider When Shopping For A Laptop by shawlxAk(m): 7:44pm On Jan 28, 2016
You're welcome. More interesting tips @ www.sholadaitman.com

Mrjo:
Thak u for that info.
Re: Major Things To Consider When Shopping For A Laptop by shawlxAk(m): 4:00pm On Feb 03, 2016
More interesting tips @ www.sholadaitman.com

Re: Major Things To Consider When Shopping For A Laptop by Nobody: 11:07pm On Feb 03, 2016
Hey dude, can you recommend a budget laptop for graphic design? I'd like one to be 15' Full HD display, slim & lightweight design, good battery life. Maybe decent graphics card but I need that battery life.
Re: Major Things To Consider When Shopping For A Laptop by shawlxAk(m): 12:58pm On Feb 04, 2016
What is your budget?

HP 250 | 4GB RAM | 500GB HDD | Intel Pentium | Dual core or Quad core | Processor speed greater than 2.0GHz -- I bought the quad core type last year for 75k. Current price range is 78k to 90k.

Kazna69:
Hey dude, can you recommend a budget laptop for graphic design? I'd like one to be 15' Full HD display, slim & lightweight design, good battery life. Maybe decent graphics card but I need that battery life.
Re: Major Things To Consider When Shopping For A Laptop by Nobody: 5:38pm On Feb 04, 2016
shawlxAk:
What is your budget?

HP 250 | 4GB RAM | 500GB HDD | Intel Pentium | Dual core or Quad core | Processor speed greater than 2.0GHz -- I bought the quad core type last year for 75k. Current price range is 78k to 90k.

70-120k MAX. Need something with very good battery life, 15' FHD display, processor speed over 2.0 prefarably one of the newer generations, Win 10 OS
Re: Major Things To Consider When Shopping For A Laptop by shawlxAk(m): 11:36am On Feb 05, 2016
Great budget. Just arm yourself with the tips above, while shopping for a laptop online or at a reputable local store.

Kazna69:

70-120k MAX. Need something with very good battery life, 15' FHD display, processor speed over 2.0 prefarably one of the newer generations, Win 10 OS

(1) (Reply)

Gaming And Graphics Design Laptop For Sale / Lets Talk About: Quick Ways To Speed Up Your Slow PC Running Windows 7, 8, Or 10 / Where Can I Buy Neatly Used Laptop In Aba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.