Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,195 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:06 AM

Kissing The Popes Ring, Why? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Kissing The Popes Ring, Why? (2011 Views)

See How Proceeds From The Popes Soon To Be Auctioned Lamborghini Will Be Shared / Popes Worship A Black Jesus In Private - Shocking Picture Evidence. / The Popes And Saint Peter: Separating Facts From Fiction!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kissing The Popes Ring, Why? by antispexish(m): 5:23pm On Jan 29, 2016
Was watching CNN this afternoon and noticed an American actor named Leonardo dicaprio kissing the ring on the popes hand.
Why do people do this and why does the pope allow it.?
Is it biblical or just a ritual observed by Catholics.?

Personaly I think its unhygienic, what do you think ?

1 Like

Re: Kissing The Popes Ring, Why? by wtfCode: 5:28pm On Jan 29, 2016
ritual.
catholics are good at shits like that

1 Like

Re: Kissing The Popes Ring, Why? by antispexish(m): 5:35pm On Jan 29, 2016
wtfCode:
ritual. catholics are good at shits like that
Are they trying to copy the monarchy or what!
Re: Kissing The Popes Ring, Why? by wtfCode: 5:38pm On Jan 29, 2016
antispexish:

Are they trying to copy the monarchy or what!
i dont know, the ritual has been there since time immemorial.
Re: Kissing The Popes Ring, Why? by kossyablaze(m): 6:10pm On Jan 29, 2016
Calling Adeboye n Oyedepo Daddy...why?

1 Like

Re: Kissing The Popes Ring, Why? by Amberon: 6:53pm On Jan 29, 2016
its just a way of exchanging friendly pleasantries. I don't think he was kissing his ring tho - even if the pope wasn't wearing a ring, Leonardo would've still kissed his hand. Its a sign of respect to a highly revered person.

1 Like

Re: Kissing The Popes Ring, Why? by Amberon: 6:53pm On Jan 29, 2016
What is wrong with that? don't you call older people daddy too? that's not an issue pls.
kossyablaze:
Calling Adeboye n Oyedepo Daddy...why?
Re: Kissing The Popes Ring, Why? by antispexish(m): 8:48pm On Jan 29, 2016
Amberon:
its just a way of exchanging friendly pleasantries. I don't think he was kissing his ring tho - even if the pope wasn't wearing a ring, Leonardo would've still kissed his hand. Its a sign of respect to a highly revered person.
People kiss the ring on the popes hand.

Re: Kissing The Popes Ring, Why? by Ishilove: 2:46am On Jan 30, 2016
antispexish:
Was watching CNN this afternoon and noticed an American actor named Leonardo dicaprio kissing the ring on the popes hand.

Lol. I think so too cheesy

Lord knows how many germs hanging on that ring
Re: Kissing The Popes Ring, Why? by Nobody: 7:52am On Jan 30, 2016
antispexish:

Not only the Pope's ring is kissed but every bishop. Its just a way of showing respect. Remember Christianity arose from the Middle East to Europe. Perhaps it was their way of greeting dignitaries just like in Africa we kneel to greet elders.

1 Like

Re: Kissing The Popes Ring, Why? by Nobody: 7:53am On Jan 30, 2016
antispexish:

Not only the Pope's ring is kissed but every bishop. Its just a way of showing respect. Remember Christianity arose from the Middle East to Europe. Perhaps it was their way of greeting dignitaries just like in Africa we kneel to greet elders. And it does not need to be in the Bible.
Re: Kissing The Popes Ring, Why? by antispexish(m): 11:36am On Jan 30, 2016
Papist:

Not only the Pope's ring is kissed but every bishop. Its just a way of showing respect. Remember Christianity arose from the Middle East to Europe. Perhaps it was their way of greeting dignitaries just like in Africa we kneel to greet elders. And it does not need to be in the Bible.

Is it a way of showing respect or a way of forcing respect out of the people. Well I think this depends on who initiated it, if its the people or the bishops.
Personaly I think that even if its a practise by the middle east people, it does not mean that they should practise it, moreover, I've not heared that the Jews did such, so where did it come from.

I've heard it was done by absolute monarchs and despot rulers, not a good habit to copy I might say,since you now say its not in the bible.
Unhygienic human rituals in church activities?
Re: Kissing The Popes Ring, Why? by antispexish(m): 11:44am On Jan 30, 2016
Ishilove:
Lol. I think so too cheesy
Lord knows how many germs hanging on that ring
Hepatitis B, herpes, gradula fever?
Re: Kissing The Popes Ring, Why? by Ishilove: 11:57am On Jan 30, 2016
antispexish:

Hepatitis B, herpes, gradula fever?
That one that causes mouth sores, shey?

*shudder*

I don't think it is mandatory to kiss the ring. We don't do it here in Africa (I think). If I were to meet the pope today, I will greet him like an African woman. On my knees! cheesy

(1) (Reply)

The True Meaning And Essence Of The Lenting Season & Ash Wednesday / Answer This And I Will Stop Being An Atheist / Why Do Most Pastors Children Don't Live To Up To Their Fathers' Names?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.