Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,652 members, 7,809,474 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:10 AM

Some Nigeria Christian Practices That White People Don’t Do - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Some Nigeria Christian Practices That White People Don’t Do (28142 Views)

34th National Conference Of The Nigeria Christian Corpers’ Fellowship / Nigeria’s Christian Association, CAN, Elects New President / What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Nigeria Christian Practices That White People Don’t Do by abdulwastecx(m): 2:20pm On Jan 31, 2016
Okies27:
. Have read through many comments and non seem to say anything as regards how the Bible admonish us to conduct ourselves both in worship and our everyday life. No where is it written in the Bible that medicament is bad. The Bible talks about plants being for the healing of the world and most drugs are from plants. As for discipline with, I'm sure a lot of here can say the cane corrected some ills in us but everything should be done in moderation. Spare the rod and spoil the child the Bible said, don't ask me where is in it, search it out yourself cos that's why the Internet(e-bible) is there. No fan or ac in church isn't a practice OP. Some of your writeups are without proper checking of facts. Don't deceive people please, and of your reading this, read the Bible yourself and make reference to the book whenever you feel uncomfortable with a teaching.

I don't need Bible to tell me to be of good conduct, to be peace loving or to respect authority.

The Bible was written when for centuries other civilization have perfected the use of herbs and people have the knowledge of Medicine and believe they were from plants. The Greek, the Roman, the Egyptian, the Chinese and India practice medicine using plants predating Christianity.

European, North America (Canada and usa) and far east Asians are the least religious people on earth and at the same time the most developed religion.
They don't run to pastors when there is a flood, or epidemic. They go to the lab and research centers to get solutions to their problem.

During ebola outbreak no Nigeria pastor travel to guinea or Liberia to heal people

1 Like

Re: Some Nigeria Christian Practices That White People Don’t Do by ttmacoy: 2:21pm On Jan 31, 2016
You are right some people (minority do this due to beliefs. It i illegal though if you prevent someone getting medical attention due to belief eg a parent not allowing his child to be treated. If that child dies you will be charged with manslaughter.

There is a case that happened recently in Spain and the parents are in custody.

NaLaugh:

Actually, people out here do.

I find it to be a silly practice, but to each his own, I guess.
Re: Some Nigeria Christian Practices That White People Don’t Do by mmsen: 2:27pm On Jan 31, 2016
abdulwastecx:

I disagree with you on your last point. Television is good for children when they watch good contents. Good contents like adventure, news channel, education Channels, foreign affairs and rated movies, but things like African magic, all music channels and religious channels destroy their ability to think critically.
I don't want my daughter to end up looking up to Tina savage as her role model but I want her to see the world around her, to understand stock market, global politics, her history etc

If you want your child to come to know the world around her then the internet is the greatest resource that mankind has ever known.

Television is an old, outdated medium, the only time I turn on my television is to watch sporting events.

The news is programming - they do not tell you all the facts. just parts of the story to reinforce particular stereotypes and fears.

1 Like

Re: Some Nigeria Christian Practices That White People Don’t Do by ministeriallist: 2:33pm On Jan 31, 2016
henrydadon:
nigerian are just blinded by religion in General..it high time we wake up...who religion don help? not to talk of the amount of income these pastor generate nowadays ..every big shot pastor is now a private jet owner..whereas Jesus during his day all he had was a donkey..holier than thou attitude killing us big time
Jesus didn't even own a donkey. He borrowed one when he needed it.
Well, I don't blame this self-centered "men of god". Their followers love being cheated. They like to be deceived. It's like when a business man is giving his customers what they want.

1 Like

Re: Some Nigeria Christian Practices That White People Don’t Do by ttmacoy: 2:37pm On Jan 31, 2016
Firstly not beating a child does not mean that child will be spoilt. I know many children who were not beaten but who turn out well and vice versa, and many who were beaten in Nigeria and still ended up bad.

The point is you can Spank and punish but not the Nigerian way of just hitting and flogging anyhow with belt or whatever while raining curses and abuses. Also there is an emphasis on communication with your child.

Secondly you say the level of moral decadence in white countries. Are you telling me countries like Nigeria have higher moral values? No we don't. We pretend to, and like to claim we do but no we don't.

Go to our universities and see what is going on? Is it this same country where bosses sleep with female workers everyday and no consequence? Same country where every single sector has been destroyed by selfish materialistic corruption? Same country where tribalism and culture overrides common sense and doing good for the nation? Same country where churches who should look after the poor have become businesses to take money from both the rich and needy?

No we are not morally better.

When they say do no hit in western countries they are not saying do not correct or punish. I know many white families that are very strict without beating same as those who are not, and this applies to Nigeria as well. What they are saying is use other methods to punish and correct your child.

Eromsboy:
Concerning number one, I hope you are aware of the current moral decadence in some of these white countries? I hope you can also equate the level of immorality in those countries to the absolute freedom granted a child once he or she is born? For me, I believe in correcting a child to make him great later in life. Period. However, I am not saying a child must be spanked for every offence.

2 Likes

Re: Some Nigeria Christian Practices That White People Don’t Do by Gazzy88(m): 2:42pm On Jan 31, 2016
Christianity isn't a religion but a way of life. It all boil down to common sense.

2 Likes

Re: Some Nigeria Christian Practices That White People Don’t Do by ttmacoy: 2:47pm On Jan 31, 2016
No the UK government has not taken children away for spanking. They have taken children away for abuse. When you beat children in a harmful way leaving marks all over their body.

You are allowed to Spank and punish but there is a difference between spanking and beating anyhow.

The reason the government step in is to avoid the many cases of children who have been caused harm or even death aka baby P.

aiksneffects:
White Christians actually practice all the above except the weird "no fan or no medicine ". The problem of not applying those biblical practice is not because white Christians are ignorant of it but because of stupid and crazy government political correctness. Like here in the UK or other western countries, government through the child support services have invade families and take away their children because of spanking or biblical disciplining of their children.

Spanking children is a clear biblical instruction as a way to discipline the kids. It is well all over the book of proverbs. Look at stupid spoiled children who never got spanked or disciplined and compare to those of us who got spanked both by our parents or school teachers.

Proverbs 13:24
He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

Proverbs 23:13
Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die.

Note: Bible does not recommended toture of a child as many wicked parents do.

Television today is filled with nudity and a lot of anti God programme including witchcraft, Hollywood brainwashing movies, sodomy, adultery etc.

Psalm 101:3 (KJV)

3 I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me.

Re: Some Nigeria Christian Practices That White People Don’t Do by kalufelix(m): 3:10pm On Jan 31, 2016
mmsen:

The news is programming - they do not tell you all the facts. just parts of the story to reinforce particular stereotypes and fears.
you made a lot of sense buh ah kinda love this part the most...
Re: Some Nigeria Christian Practices That White People Don’t Do by kalufelix(m): 3:26pm On Jan 31, 2016
We all grew up in the zoo you know...

The street is military you gotta be a soldier...

You can be civilised all you want but definately not in this part of the world...
Re: Some Nigeria Christian Practices That White People Don’t Do by sparkleboy(m): 4:59pm On Jan 31, 2016
Op is a jobless human being
I thought I would see a sensible article self. MTcheeeeeeew
Re: Some Nigeria Christian Practices That White People Don’t Do by sparkleboy(m): 4:59pm On Jan 31, 2016
Op is a jobless human being
I thought I would see a sensible article self. MTcheeeeeeew tongue tongue
Re: Some Nigeria Christian Practices That White People Don’t Do by oz4real83(m): 5:33pm On Jan 31, 2016
6. Calling out all the single ladies to be prayed for. 7. Calling out names of those people that have paid church levies and those that havent paid.
Re: Some Nigeria Christian Practices That White People Don’t Do by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jan 31, 2016
Re: Some Nigeria Christian Practices That White People Don’t Do by FarmTech(m): 8:13pm On Jan 31, 2016
Page 0 seemed to be full of antichrists. If u think christianity destroyed Africa, think again. Compare it to Africa's stupidity of killing of twins, tagging whatever they don't understand witch etc. Christianity have really helped us in many ways. However as the bible have always warned, there are Satans in the church, wolves in sheep clothings that made the church look bad.
Don't judge the church base on those pastors that worship wealth at the expense of gospel truth.
Spanking a child is biblical. To cut story short, read the strategy satan has used to destroy christianity in advanced countries. The link below will tell u why same sex marriage was legalized, why parents can no longer correct their children and many more. It was an organized plan: https://mobile.facebook.com/notes/pastor-david-ogbueli/the-10-point-plan-by-alice-bailey-and-the-new-world-order-for-the-destruction-of/10151669226247539/.
Re: Some Nigeria Christian Practices That White People Don’t Do by FarmTech(m): 8:28pm On Jan 31, 2016
ttmacoy:
No the UK government has not taken children away for spanking. They have taken children away for abuse. When you beat children in a harmful way leaving marks all over their body.

You are allowed to Spank and punish but there is a difference between spanking and beating anyhow.

The reason the government step in is to avoid the many cases of children who have been caused harm or even death aka baby P.

It is a step by step thing. Very soon they might place a total ban. See http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/un-urges-uk-create-laws-banning-parents-hitting-their-children-1512470
Re: Some Nigeria Christian Practices That White People Don’t Do by gemale(m): 9:06pm On Jan 31, 2016
henrydadon:
nigerian are just blinded by religion in General..it high time we wake up...who religion don help? not to talk of the amount of income these pastor generate nowadays ..every big shot pastor is now a private jet owner..whereas Jesus during his day all he had was a donkey..holier than thou attitude killing us big time
Donkey dt he borrowed just 2 enter Jerusalem on palm Sunday.
Re: Some Nigeria Christian Practices That White People Don’t Do by gemale(m): 9:45pm On Jan 31, 2016
FarmTech:
Page 0 seemed to be full of antichrists. If u think christianity destroyed Africa, think again. Compare it to Africa's stupidity of killing of twins, tagging whatever they don't understand witch etc. Christianity have really helped us in many ways. However as the bible have always warned, there are Satans in the church, wolves in sheep clothings that made the church look bad.
Don't judge the church base on those pastors that worship wealth at the expense of gospel truth.
Spanking a child is biblical. To cut story short, read the strategy satan has used to destroy christianity in advanced countries. The link below will tell u why same sex marriage was legalized, why parents can no longer correct their children and many more. It was an organized plan: https://mobile.facebook.com/notes/pastor-david-ogbueli/the-10-point-plan-by-alice-bailey-and-the-new-world-order-for-the-destruction-of/10151669226247539/.
Nyc 1 bt as u enact violence on ur child in line wt scripture, dont 4gt 2 do wt Jesus said in d gospel "if ur ryt hand causes u 2 sin, CUT IT OFF"............ If ur eye causes u 2 sin, GOUGE IT OUT". Failure 2 carry out dis act literally makes u a hypocrite. Foolish naija pple! Always blindly following wteva dey r told wt out reasoning on d rationality of their actions & Neva pausing 2 ask demselves y. Y do d western world frown @ hitting their kids? Simple ansa. because children wld more likely follow wt dey c u do than follow wt u tell dem. So wt moral standing wld u have as a parent 2 instruct ur child 2 solve wteva difference he/she has wt odas amicably & wt out resorting 2 violence when @ d slightest provocation u feel, u r quick 2 settle it wt violence telling ur self it's 'discipline' & quoting scripture 2 back ur actions? Wake up it's d 21st century & such archaic practices r fast losing their usefulness. U can't use D exact method u were brought up wt on ur children; u need 2 evolve. If d chief means of disciplining ur child is beating, somtn must b fundamentally wrong.
Re: Some Nigeria Christian Practices That White People Don’t Do by ayodara77(f): 10:22pm On Jan 31, 2016
it is wrong to believe that there are no serious xtians in d developed countries, in fact there are are very many born again xtians there, it depend on which side of d road you are walking on, if you are a true xtians you will be more interested in d things of God so u will know that they are serving the Lord, watch tbn on dstv, there are many xtians films made by whites dat will make u cry and I don't mean bible films, books nko, pastors such as Joyce mayer and Paula white are just a few of their great pastors, if u listen to micheal smith songs u will be converted by d presence of God and he is white, what about women of faith, look for emilly Barnes books she write on being organised and you will feel God through her writing, many of these developed countries practice d principle of God which is embedded in their laws, which produce results even if they are not actually all in church, they started from knowing the person of God which makes dem learn his principle, it is what u sow dat you will reap regardless if u are born again or not, loving your neighbours as yourself will make your neighbour love you back, getting to heaven is another story,God is as real as d nose on your face, government will never replace Him and dat was why Americans rushed to church after9/11, the trick is knowing him for yourself and dis can only be achieved through intimacy with him constantly and going to d right church, as for d false prophets, they are to be pitied because it is better they were never born.
Re: Some Nigeria Christian Practices That White People Don’t Do by vislabraye(m): 4:34pm On Feb 02, 2016
Mrdecent:
SOME NIGERIA CHRISTIAN PRACTICES THAT WHITE PEOPLE DON’T DO

It’s amazing how we have taking Christianity to a very funny stage in Nigeria or let me say Africa at large. The white men brought the religion with a free gift of the bible as a guide in our day to day activities. Funny enough with the present situation in the developed world right now, whites had moved far away from what is written in there, in fact, they will soon release another Bible if care is not taken which will be entirely different from the initial one. We can say their advancement is as a result of asking questions even from the things written in the bible (age of enlightenment ) which has enabled them to experience unimaginable development especially advancement in technology. Though some of their advancement (enlightened level) shows they are very close to the devil’s position (homosexuality legalization for instance). As for Africa , Nigeria in particular , we are still at the level of the Europeans during the mediaeval period . Those were the period when the papacy were using religion to exploit the Europeans. They moved from that that stage immediately they started asking questions. History for another day.
Let me share some Christians practices that we engage in Nigeria but whites never practice.

1. (1) CHILD SPANK
African Christian parents justify beating their wards by quoting the Bible verse that says "madness is in the heart of a child and only cane can dissolve it" Bible scholars should help reconstruct the verse and find it for us in the bible. Meanwhile, in the developed world if u beat your child anyhow and your child reports you or your neighbor gets to know ,you may face jail term and lose that child to the government. I never reach airport before but I was told. People abroad could shed more lights pls. My people is this not funny? What do we call this? When you see some Christian mums beating their children and at the same time quoting that particular passage in the bible ,you may be tempted to curse who put that passage their . The benefit or otherwise of such actions is a debate for another day .

2. TELEVISION SET
Some churches in Nigeria term television set as instrument of the devil. Imagine! Meanwhile the giver of this religion produce and distribute these gadgets to all parts of the world and they still server the same God they introduce to us. I learnt they are now buying it but always well kept at the inner room from the view of visitors.

3) NO FAN, NO AC IN CHURCH
I was invited to a church one day and I discovered that as big as the church was there was no single fan their and no AC. As soon as you enter, they will hand you a hand fan . The church in actually fact was well ventilated -door like windows. Another time I was invited to same church in another town, I saw the same thing. so , I asked my friend my observation , she told me that they design the church that way so that church members wouldn’t feel so comfortable under the fan to the extent of sleeping . I was like is that the practice all over the world? she said no , that it only affects churches in most part of Africa . I was like “je-su! Funny enough this church is rich and you only have one in a town. why do we have to suffer ourselves this much ?

4) NO MEDICINE
Some churches will never use drug. Using of drug to them is a sin. One of my friends lost her two sisters to this doctrine. My friends and I had the thought of kidnaping her and take her to a doctor sometimes ago when she was almost giving up the ghost when she had measles . Also ,its forbidden to purse a health related carrier in that church . I am sure nobody dare to do this in the western world . people abroad please we need your opinion here .

5) add yours …

Mrdecent

The quote, no. 4. Is very common amongst Jehovah witnesses.
No. 2 is an outdated practice by just one church and not Nigerian churches as a whole.
No. 3 is grin cheesy . I'm yet to see any church that forbids fans and Ac
Re: Some Nigeria Christian Practices That White People Don’t Do by KoloOyinbo(m): 9:40pm On Mar 27, 2016
Mhizizzy:
We love to overhype things in Africa...every area of our existence is overhyped .
We call it our culture.
The white oversimplifies tins...
They love to make tins easier for themselves...
Dats d difference

Well pretty little Missy - sorry Mhizizzy, there is nothing wrong with making things easier! Life throws enough problems our way so lets do away with ones that can be made simple!
Re: Some Nigeria Christian Practices That White People Don’t Do by KoloOyinbo(m): 9:43pm On Mar 27, 2016
ayodara77:
it is wrong to believe that there are no serious xtians in d developed countries, in fact there are are very many born again xtians there, it depend on which side of d road you are walking on, if you are a true xtians you will be more interested in d things of God so u will know that they are serving the Lord, watch tbn on dstv, there are many xtians films made by whites dat will make u cry and I don't mean bible films, books nko, pastors such as Joyce mayer and Paula white are just a few of their great pastors, if u listen to micheal smith songs u will be converted by d presence of God and he is white, what about women of faith, look for emilly Barnes books she write on being organised and you will feel God through her writing, many of these developed countries practice d principle of God which is embedded in their laws, which produce results even if they are not actually all in church, they started from knowing the person of God which makes dem learn his principle, it is what u sow dat you will reap regardless if u are born again or not, loving your neighbours as yourself will make your neighbour love you back, getting to heaven is another story,God is as real as d nose on your face, government will never replace Him and dat was why Americans rushed to church after9/11, the trick is knowing him for yourself and dis can only be achieved through intimacy with him constantly and going to d right church, as for d false prophets, they are to be pitied because it is better they were never born.

Thank you so much for some very sensible comments. And you have read some very appropriate works also. I tend to share your opinion on the false prophets!
Re: Some Nigeria Christian Practices That White People Don’t Do by KoloOyinbo(m): 9:28pm On Mar 28, 2016
Salex007:
It was the introduction of ReLigiOn to Africa that turns Africa to be what it is today ...

History would not agree. Even hundreds of years before the evils of colonialisation Africa was behind the rest of the world. Tribalism may be entirely or partially to blame (must bear SOME responsibility for that) but I am very unsure exactly how much. As mankind came out of Africa originally it should have had a head start on everywhere else. And dont forget some bright exceptions in the second millenium of very sophisticated African empires. Yet overall by then Africa was lagging in development.

Outside influences were at first very few and limited to the coastal regions which seems to indicate an internal cause. Tribalism seems obvious but perhaps too obvious. If we go down the religion route the period of least development was when traditional religions were rife with many gods/spirits/juju etc. So religions of any sort are unlikely to be the cause.

This is a fascinating question that could be explored further but I suspect would degenerate into an anti religious or anti western crusade instead of dispassioned reasoning debate.

(A thought. Africa is rich in resources. Was the distribution, or type of those resources influencial? I have not considered that but am open to thoughts)

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Leke Adeboye & Wife, Rachel Celebrate 10th Wedding Anniversary (Photos) / Your January Salary Is For Me And Not The Church — Pastor Anosike (video) / Forbes: The Five Richest Pastors In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.