Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,626 members, 7,820,214 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:32 AM

Explain This! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Explain This! (854 Views)

Hahha.. This Is How You Explain Sex To Nigerian Children. PICTURES / How Do I Explain This To My Little Child / Doctor Explain How Black Nigerian Couple Give Birth To White Baby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Explain This! by gen2genius(m): 9:51pm On Jun 29, 2009
If a woman is not to be "owned" by her husband, why the need for bride PRICEshocked

And some cultures have turned it into a lucrative business. Why won't the man feels he "owns" the woman at the end of the whole "bargain"? grin grin
Re: Explain This! by mamagee3(f): 1:21am On Jun 30, 2009
cool
Re: Explain This! by Nobody: 4:52am On Jun 30, 2009
Answer this: Who collects the bride price and who maintains it must be paid?
Re: Explain This! by gen2genius(m): 7:44am On Jun 30, 2009
grin

You don't know who collects the bride price? Are you from space? shocked
Re: Explain This! by benedictac(f): 9:03am On Jun 30, 2009
@ Poster, who owns ur wife, your father or her father?
Re: Explain This! by Fhemmmy: 12:58pm On Jun 30, 2009
Wonderful question.
This is part of the culture that i kinda question. lipsrsealed
Re: Explain This! by Nobody: 5:08pm On Jun 30, 2009
gen2genius:

grin

You don't know who collects the bride price? Are you from space? shocked

The problem, the root of the problem and the one complaining are all one. What a nuisance!
Re: Explain This! by ifyalways(f): 12:27am On Jul 01, 2009
I guess an average Indian wife owns the husband as they pay grooms price right?
Re: Explain This! by gen2genius(m): 1:51pm On Jul 02, 2009
The problem, the root of the problem and the one complaining are all one. What a nuisance!

@ Poster, who owns ur wife, your father or her father?

I just wonder why people make much ado over nothing. Is it not better to admit ignorance than to get bitter and hysterical over a simple question? The question is, what is the significance of the bride price? I stated my view, based on what "price" denotes, and I expected you to provide a better explanation if you have any. Instead, it's all rants! Na waoh shocked

Anyone with a reasonable explanation, please? wink
Re: Explain This! by Fhemmmy: 3:17pm On Jul 02, 2009
ifyalways:

Good point.
Re: Explain This! by gen2genius(m): 3:29pm On Jul 02, 2009

Doesn't she? Isn't that why she can practise polyandry?

But the question is still not answered. What's the significance of the bride "price" wink
Re: Explain This! by bikokwe(m): 3:58pm On Jul 02, 2009
well just simply tradition probably a way of showin u will care n love her.My own opinion is dat it shudnt be 2 much. "if hand shake pass elbow na mean somethinf dey wrong o"
Re: Explain This! by Sissy3(f): 6:58am On Jul 03, 2009
gen2genius:

If a woman is not to be "owned" by her husband, why the need for bride PRICEshocked

And some cultures have turned it into a lucrative business. Why won't the man feels he "owns" the woman at the end of the whole "bargain"? grin grin

they pay it so that fathers can belly full their stomachs! tongue

seriously, i think the whole issue of bride price is just another indirect way of telling the women you are nothing but a "property" undecided undecided
Re: Explain This! by gen2genius(m): 9:53am On Jul 03, 2009
That's my opinion too ooo, sister. Seriously, even though I don't see a woman as a property, I still don't get the rationale behind bride price. I guess it originated from the time when women were viewed as properties, and sadly, the practice persists undecided
Re: Explain This! by Romeo4real(m): 5:55pm On Jul 03, 2009
@ezinnine1212 - You can just ans a simple question, or refuse - No need for juvenile insults.

This is a complex issue, that goes much deeper then the question itself.
ALL societies have etiquette, principles and values that entrench the belief that Men own their Women in some way, shape or form,and vice versa; and before the Femministas start foaming at the mouth, do remember that ALL societies are made up of Men and Women. Also, women buy into this with their behaviour, expectations and demands as much as the Men.

As a man, u are expected to love, cherish, protect, and provide for ur woman. You can only do this properly if there is a subconscious belief of ownership.

Women also have perceived ownership of their men. It is just more subtly expressed than a man's. It shows up in how they take care of him, cooking, cleaning, etc. After all that is the point of responsibility - You cannot be responsible for something you dont accept ownership of.

Women accept, promote and condone the "ownership" thing, as long as they are getting the benefits. It is a cycle, with both genders creating and contributing to the perception.
Re: Explain This! by gen2genius(m): 6:05pm On Jul 03, 2009
I agree with your points romeo.

But the reality is that the idea of ownership does not always bring about the positive results you mentioned. Don't forget that it's this same notion that make some people think they have the right to maltreat and abuse their spouse, afterall, the "purchase" has been made wink
Re: Explain This! by Romeo4real(m): 6:25pm On Jul 03, 2009
@gen2genius - I agree, but accepting ownership of your spouse, does not necessarily lead to maltreatment.
Every coin has an opposite side. E.g, If woman wants a strong man with leadership skills, then she has to accept there is a possibility of domineering behaviour sometimes.
If a woman wants a man to accept total responsibility for her feelings, emotions and welfare, a man must believe there is some degree of ownership to do that, and as such, will sometimes make decisions she will not agree with.

(1) (Reply)

bosom Feeding / What You Would'nt Do With Ur Spouse. / Photo: Femi & Yeni Kuti Celebrate Their Grandma As She Turns 93

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.