Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,273 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:16 AM

How To Take Good Care Of Your Tires - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Take Good Care Of Your Tires (12287 Views)

4 Warning Signs That You Need New Tires / Must Car Tires Be Black? / FRSC Pulled Me Over Twice Today To Check My Tires (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Take Good Care Of Your Tires by Kenmatt(m): 11:13am On Jan 31, 2016
Greetings!!!
I just want to bring to your notice some tips on how to take good care of your vehicle tires.

What makes a sound vehicle are; good body, good engine and a good tires. Tires are very important because they are hitting the ground and gets hot and hotter as you drive by.

Many of the accidents on our roads are as a result of bad tires. Some people like "managing" tires with out knowing that such is suicidal. Some like going for the so called fairly used tires thinking it is cheap with out knowing that in a real sense, it is more expensive, considering how many times you will end up changing it from time to time.

1 check the validity of your tires. Every tire has its expiration date. Please put this into consideration because most of the so called new tires that end up bursting on the road are expired tires.

2 Pump all your tires at a particular level of percentage. If it is 60, let it all be 60. So as to maintain a good vehicle balancing.

3 Avoid overloading, over loading your vehicle will amount an extra or too much pressure which your tires might find difficult to withstand.

Check your tire sizes. Your vehicle manufacturer recommended your tire sizes which are in the owner's manual. If you do not have this manual, you can find it in different places like;
1 driver's side door jamb.
2 inside your glove box door.
3 with in your gas tank hatch.

5 Check your tire pressure. You can use your TPMS in doing this. When air pressure in one or more tires drops 25 percent or more below the correct pressure, a warning indicator alerts the driver through one or two types of warning lights on the dashboard. What is TPMS?
TPMS- Tire Pressure Monitoring System. Is an electronic system that monitors tire air pressure. To know if your car has it, check owner's manual.

6 Tire alignment. This refers to an adjustment of a vehicle's suspension. It is also a system that connects a vehicle to its wheel for a proper balancing as well.

How to know if your vehicle needs a tire alignment;
1 Uneven tread wear.
2Vehicle pulling to the left or right.
3 Steering wheel vibration.

Please take this measures seriously let's reduce the accidents rate to the nearest minimum this year and hence forth.

34 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How To Take Good Care Of Your Tires by toyeoye(m): 12:00pm On Jan 31, 2016
very important tips, I noticed the uneven thread wears on both rear tyres, will go do my alignment tomorrow. thanks op

1 Like

Re: How To Take Good Care Of Your Tires by Kenmatt(m): 9:30pm On Jan 31, 2016
toyeoye:
very important tips, I noticed the uneven thread wears on both rear tyres, will go do my alignment tomorrow. thanks op
you are welcome.
Re: How To Take Good Care Of Your Tires by ShutdownBrown24(m): 5:26am On Feb 01, 2016
Good one
Re: How To Take Good Care Of Your Tires by lonelydora: 5:27am On Feb 01, 2016
Nice job.
Re: How To Take Good Care Of Your Tires by Abudu2000(m): 5:32am On Feb 01, 2016
nice one..
Re: How To Take Good Care Of Your Tires by okoocheche(m): 5:33am On Feb 01, 2016
Tanks boss

1 Like

Re: How To Take Good Care Of Your Tires by Nobody: 5:34am On Feb 01, 2016
Once your tire picks up a nail, prepare for a replacement.

No amount of glue will do the magic as you'll keep going back to the vulcanizer

1 Like

Re: How To Take Good Care Of Your Tires by Abdullateeflawal(m): 5:37am On Feb 01, 2016
Really need to do d allingment.... eseun

1 Like

Re: How To Take Good Care Of Your Tires by RichDad1(m): 5:42am On Feb 01, 2016
Kenmatt:
Greetings!!!
I just want to bring to your notice some tips on how to take good care of your by.
Many of the accidents on our roads are as a result of bad tires. Some people like "managing" tires with out knowing that such is suicidal. Some like going for the so called fairly used tires thinking it is cheap with out knowing that in a real sense, it is more expensive, considering how many times you will end up changing it from time to time.
1 check the validity of your tires. Every tire has its expiration date. Please put this into consideration because most of the so called new tires that end up bursting on the road are expired tires.
2 Pump all your tires at a particular level of percentage. If it is 60, let it all be 60. So as to maintain a good vehicle balancing.
3 Avoid overloading, over loading your vehicle will amount an extra or too much pressure which your tires might find difficult to withstand.
Check your tire sizes. Your vehicle manufacturer recommended your tire sizes which are in the owner's manual. If you do not have this manual, you can find it in different places like;
5 Check your tire pressure. You can use your TPMS in doing this. When air pressure in one or more tires drops 25 percent or more below the correct pressure, a warning indicator alerts the driver through one or two types of warning lights on the dashboard. What is TPMS?
TPMS- Tire Pressure Monitoring System. Is an electronic system that monitors tire air pressure. To know if your car has it, check owner's manual.
6 Tire alignment. This refers to an adjustment of a vehicle's suspension. It is also a system that connects a vehicle to its wheel for a proper balancing as well.
1 Uneven tread wear.
Please take this measures seriously let's reduce the accidents rate to the nearest minimum this year and hence forth.
Wheel Balancing not alignment. coolcool

1 Like

Re: How To Take Good Care Of Your Tires by Jobabori(m): 6:01am On Feb 01, 2016
Teach us how to discover a tyre expiring date please.

1 Like

Re: How To Take Good Care Of Your Tires by Trapnews: 6:20am On Feb 01, 2016
RichDad1:

Wheel Balancing not alignment. coolcool
Stop smoking!

Re: How To Take Good Care Of Your Tires by bishop4life(m): 6:25am On Feb 01, 2016
Jobabori:

Exactly what I was gonna ask. A bus that was conveying my load was booked by road safety for expired tires. My only annoyance was that those touts were not able to tell me how to know an expired tire even when I kindly pleaded to be taught that.
I even saw their emergency bus and all its four tires are all worn out leaving no trace of a single thread, that was when I gave up.

1 Like

Re: How To Take Good Care Of Your Tires by unphilaz(m): 6:39am On Feb 01, 2016
Kenmatt:
Greetings!!!
I just want to bring to your notice some tips on how to take good care of your vehicle tires.

What makes a sound vehicle are; good body, good engine and a good tires. Tires are very important because they are hitting the ground and gets hot and hotter as you drive by.

1 Uneven tread wear.

thanks
Re: How To Take Good Care Of Your Tires by lemon10(m): 6:41am On Feb 01, 2016
Space reserved
Re: How To Take Good Care Of Your Tires by lemon10(m): 6:42am On Feb 01, 2016
Another space
Re: How To Take Good Care Of Your Tires by lemon10(m): 6:42am On Feb 01, 2016
Space 4 sale
Re: How To Take Good Care Of Your Tires by sammyms: 6:44am On Feb 01, 2016
Thanks for the tips and well noted on the issue of tires.
Re: How To Take Good Care Of Your Tires by lemon10(m): 6:45am On Feb 01, 2016
» Campus Editors, Journalists Gather For Summit At UNILAG « » The Three Most Important Aspects Of Digital Marketing - Kyemite « » Which Professional Skill Will Be In Hot Demand In 2016? « » 7 Things To Consider Before Taking Up That Job « » Why You Should Not Register MTN With Your BVN Details - Habeeblai244 « » What Is The Best Way To Build A Fence On This Marshy Land? « » How To Take Good Care Of Your Tires « » Funny Names Nigerians Give Cars « » Four Nigerian Banks Among World’s Top 500 « » An Unknown Agege Bread Seller Walks Into Fame, All Thanks To TY Bello (Photo) « » TY Bello Shares Lovely Photos Of Her Twin Boys « » Governor Udom Celebrates Best Nigerian Student In Imperial College, London (Photos) « » Photos: President Buhari Arrives Nigeria Following His Official Trip To Ethiopia « » Nigeria Requests $3.5 Billion Loan From World Bank - Financial Times « » Ambode Replaces 58-Year Old Transformer In Palmgroove (Photos) « » Photo: You Might Learn To Mind Your Business After Reading This « » FG Declares French Compulsory For All Students « » Photo: Lil Kesh & His Brother Step Out In Matching Outfit « » When Did You Stop Bed Wetting? « » Governor Wike And Wife At Thanksgiving Service Today - Photos « » Buhari Raises Alarm, Says Terrorists Returning To Embarrass Government « » "I Switched From Android To Iphone For Two Months. Here's What I Learned" « » See Nnamdi Kanu’s Facial Expression When He Was Denied Bail (Photos) « » Nairaland Interschool Debate: Futminna Vs Delsu « » Photo Of Olamide With Ooni Of Ife & Oba Saheed Elegushi « » See How You Chill In The VIP Lounge As A Vegetarian (Hilarious Photo) « » Photo: James Ibori May Have Married This Lady As A Second Wife - The Capital « » Buhari Has Achieved Only One Of His 222 Campaign Promises – Buharimetre « » Cute Couple! Joseph Yobo And Wife Adaeze Step Out In Style (Pictured) « » Watch Osinachi (Remix) - Humblesmith Ft. Davido (Official Video) « » What A Man Can Rock, A Woman Can Rock: See What Actress Mercy Aigbe Wore On A Sunday « » Davido To Give N2 Million To His Most Loyal Fan (Snapshot) « » Anti-Corruption War: 'Judiciary Is My Main Headache' - Says Buhari « » Amara And Kanu Nwankwo With Former Teammate, Thierry Henry Pictured Together « » 'I Control Over N200 Billion But Can’t Build A House'' - CBN Director Laments « » South East APC Kicks As Enugu Catholic Diocese Transfers Mbaka « » Aftermath Of The Boko Haram Terror In Borno Yesterday (Warning: Graphic Photos) « » ''See Why The Naira May Fall To The Dollar At N1000/$'' « » ''The Six Kinds Of People You Will Find In A Church In Naija'' « » ''Job Seekers, Take A Cue From Lionel Messi'' « » '100 People Killed As Boko Haram Burned Children Alive In Bornu' - TheEagleOnline « » “My Harlot Wife Beats Me Every Day” - Man Cries For Divorce « » Photos: When Your Boss Wants Proof That You Are In The Hospital « » Pics: Peterside & APC Rivers Hold Thanksgiving Service Over Supreme Court's Judgement « » Jim Iyke's Ex, Actress Nadia Buari & Her Man Play With Their Twin Girls (Photo) « » ''How To Survive In This Era Of End-Time Churches & End-Time Pastors'' « » Imagine You Own This Ride & Your Pastor Asks You To Sow A Seed With It, Will You? « » Actress Yvonne Jegede Rocks Bum Short, Flaunts Cleavage (Photo) « » "Ladies And Cleavage Revealing Photos; Stop Calling The Name Of God In Vain" « » Pics: Idris Elba Wins SAG Award For Uzodinma Iweala's Movie, 'Beasts Of Nation' « » What You Learnt In Church Today? « » Why Do Ladies Act Surprised When Men Propose To Them? « » Pic: Wives Of Olowu Of Owu Sitting Next To Him At An Event In Complete Hijab « » Ice Prince Loved Up With Another Woman In Panties & Bra (Photos) « » ''My Fiance Cheated And Now Has A Child. What Do I Do?'' « » New Petrol Price: A Shift From Subsidy To Profit Making - The Guardian « » El-Rufai Receives The Obi Of Onitsha In Kaduna State House (Photos) « » A Nigerian Professor Wins $100,000 AU Award (See His Photo With Buhari) « » Is This What Loyalty In A Relationship Truly Is? (Snapshot) « » UNIMAID Dental Best Graduating Student Dies 3 Days After Oath-Taking (Photo) « » Groomsmen Vs Bridesmaids At Toolz Wedding Yesterday (Photos) « » Photos: Five Things You Need To Know About The Zika Virus « » Lagos Civil Service 2016 Recruitment For Fire Service « » Zaria Shiite-Army Clash: See Photo Of Amina That Was Shot In Her Private Part « » ''Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried'' «
Re: How To Take Good Care Of Your Tires by lemon10(m): 6:47am On Feb 01, 2016
» Campus Editors, Journalists Gather For Summit At UNILAG « » The Three Most Important Aspects Of Digital Marketing - Kyemite « » Which Professional Skill Will Be In Hot Demand In 2016? « » 7 Things To Consider Before Taking Up That Job « » Why You Should Not Register MTN With Your BVN Details - Habeeblai244 « » What Is The Best Way To Build A Fence On This Marshy Land? « » How To Take Good Care Of Your Tires « » Funny Names Nigerians Give Cars « » Four Nigerian Banks Among World’s Top 500 « » An Unknown Agege Bread Seller Walks Into Fame, All Thanks To TY Bello (Photo) « » TY Bello Shares Lovely Photos Of Her Twin Boys « » Governor Udom Celebrates Best Nigerian Student In Imperial College, London (Photos) « » Photos: President Buhari Arrives Nigeria Following His Official Trip To Ethiopia « » Nigeria Requests $3.5 Billion Loan From World Bank - Financial Times « » Ambode Replaces 58-Year Old Transformer In Palmgroove (Photos) « » Photo: You Might Learn To Mind Your Business After Reading This « » FG Declares French Compulsory For All Students « » Photo: Lil Kesh & His Brother Step Out In Matching Outfit « » When Did You Stop Bed Wetting? « » Governor Wike And Wife At Thanksgiving Service Today - Photos « » Buhari Raises Alarm, Says Terrorists Returning To Embarrass Government « » "I Switched From Android To Iphone For Two Months. Here's What I Learned" « » See Nnamdi Kanu’s Facial Expression When He Was Denied Bail (Photos) « » Nairaland Interschool Debate: Futminna Vs Delsu « » Photo Of Olamide With Ooni Of Ife & Oba Saheed Elegushi « » See How You Chill In The VIP Lounge As A Vegetarian (Hilarious Photo) « » Photo: James Ibori May Have Married This Lady As A Second Wife - The Capital « » Buhari Has Achieved Only One Of His 222 Campaign Promises – Buharimetre « » Cute Couple! Joseph Yobo And Wife Adaeze Step Out In Style (Pictured) « » Watch Osinachi (Remix) - Humblesmith Ft. Davido (Official Video) « » What A Man Can Rock, A Woman Can Rock: See What Actress Mercy Aigbe Wore On A Sunday « » Davido To Give N2 Million To His Most Loyal Fan (Snapshot) « » Anti-Corruption War: 'Judiciary Is My Main Headache' - Says Buhari « » Amara And Kanu Nwankwo With Former Teammate, Thierry Henry Pictured Together « » 'I Control Over N200 Billion But Can’t Build A House'' - CBN Director Laments « » South East APC Kicks As Enugu Catholic Diocese Transfers Mbaka « » Aftermath Of The Boko Haram Terror In Borno Yesterday (Warning: Graphic Photos) « » ''See Why The Naira May Fall To The Dollar At N1000/$'' « » ''The Six Kinds Of People You Will Find In A Church In Naija'' « » ''Job Seekers, Take A Cue From Lionel Messi'' « » '100 People Killed As Boko Haram Burned Children Alive In Bornu' - TheEagleOnline « » “My Harlot Wife Beats Me Every Day” - Man Cries For Divorce « » Photos: When Your Boss Wants Proof That You Are In The Hospital « » Pics: Peterside & APC Rivers Hold Thanksgiving Service Over Supreme Court's Judgement « » Jim Iyke's Ex, Actress Nadia Buari & Her Man Play With Their Twin Girls (Photo) « » ''How To Survive In This Era Of End-Time Churches & End-Time Pastors'' « » Imagine You Own This Ride & Your Pastor Asks You To Sow A Seed With It, Will You? « » Actress Yvonne Jegede Rocks Bum Short, Flaunts Cleavage (Photo) « » "Ladies And Cleavage Revealing Photos; Stop Calling The Name Of God In Vain" « » Pics: Idris Elba Wins SAG Award For Uzodinma Iweala's Movie, 'Beasts Of Nation' « » What You Learnt In Church Today? « » Why Do Ladies Act Surprised When Men Propose To Them? « » Pic: Wives Of Olowu Of Owu Sitting Next To Him At An Event In Complete Hijab « » Ice Prince Loved Up With Another Woman In Panties & Bra (Photos) « » ''My Fiance Cheated And Now Has A Child. What Do I Do?'' « » New Petrol Price: A Shift From Subsidy To Profit Making - The Guardian « » El-Rufai Receives The Obi Of Onitsha In Kaduna State House (Photos) « » A Nigerian Professor Wins $100,000 AU Award (See His Photo With Buhari) « » Is This What Loyalty In A Relationship Truly Is? (Snapshot) « » UNIMAID Dental Best Graduating Student Dies 3 Days After Oath-Taking (Photo) « » Groomsmen Vs Bridesmaids At Toolz Wedding Yesterday (Photos) « » Photos: Five Things You Need To Know About The Zika Virus « » Lagos Civil Service 2016 Recruitment For Fire Service « » Zaria Shiite-Army Clash: See Photo Of Amina That Was Shot In Her Private Part « » ''Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried'' «
Re: How To Take Good Care Of Your Tires by Nobody: 6:55am On Feb 01, 2016
Kenmatt:
Greetings!!!

1 Uneven tread wear.

nice one
Re: How To Take Good Care Of Your Tires by Kreamie(m): 7:07am On Feb 01, 2016
Correct info
Re: How To Take Good Care Of Your Tires by eluquenson(m): 7:21am On Feb 01, 2016
Thank you @op
Re: How To Take Good Care Of Your Tires by Kenmatt(m): 7:23am On Feb 01, 2016
Jobabori:
Carefully observe and you will see a stamp with a caption like this; *0815* or 0815. Meaning, the manufactured date was on 8th month in the year 2015. The validity of this tire is 5 years.
Re: How To Take Good Care Of Your Tires by dapraiz(m): 7:44am On Feb 01, 2016
Jobabori:
you'll find it in the tyre's body
Re: How To Take Good Care Of Your Tires by RichDad1(m): 7:48am On Feb 01, 2016
Trapnews:

Stop smoking!
If you know better, can you prove me wrong?
I doubt.
Re: How To Take Good Care Of Your Tires by tete7000(m): 7:49am On Feb 01, 2016
Kenmatt:
Carefully observe and you will see a stamp with a caption like this; *0815* or 0815. Meaning, the manufactured date was on 8th month in the year 2015. The validity of this tire is 5 years.

What was put on tire is manufactured date. As per the validity period no research has ever been carried out here in Nigeria. The research carried out abroad from all I have read online had never conclusively agreed that tire expires. No manufacturer ever agreed on the fact that their tires expires. Only conclusive information is that a tire life depends on how well maintained it is used. A new tire underpressured, overpressured, misalligned or unbalanced poses the same risk as a worn out tire while meticulous people at some other end have been able to maintain their tires in service for a relatively long period of time.
My problem with our safety officers is that because of their greed for money, they leave important factors and dwell on those that fetch them easy money. If I may ask how many new tires being sold out there have not spent part of their so called 'useful lives' on shelf? Do I now buy a new tire and while it is still relatively good discard it after two years because it has expired most especially when all I do is commute intra city in places like Ibadan? Discretion should be exercised when enforcing these laws.

6 Likes

Re: How To Take Good Care Of Your Tires by Trapnews: 7:52am On Feb 01, 2016
RichDad1:

If you know better, can you prove me wrong?
I doubt.
shocked

Re: How To Take Good Care Of Your Tires by Kenmatt(m): 8:23am On Feb 01, 2016
tete7000:

What was put on tire is manufactured date. As per the validity period no research has ever been carried out here in Nigeria. The research carried out abroad from all I have read online had never conclusively agreed that tire expires. No manufacturer ever agreed on the fact that their tires expires. Only conclusive information is that a tire life depends on how well maintained it is used. A new tire underpressured, overpressured, misalligned or unbalanced poses the same risk as a worn out tire while meticulous people at some other end have been able to maintain their tires in service for a relatively long period of time.
My problem with our safety officers is that because of their greed for money, they leave important factors and dwell on those that fetch them easy money. If I may ask how many new tires being sold out there have not spent part of their so called 'useful lives' on shelf? Do I now buy a new tire and while it is still relatively good discard it after two years because it has expired most especially when all I do is commute intra city in places like Ibadan? Discretion should be exercised when enforcing these laws.
I have been expecting some one to come up with this argument. Years back, someone imported a vehicle from abroad, it was covered with a tapoulin. Years later, the brand new vehicle was uncovered, the very first day it hit the road, two tires bursted. The chemical components through which tires are made, have expiration date. When it does, the elasticity is gone, so therefore, the tire is expired.

1 Like

Re: How To Take Good Care Of Your Tires by tete7000(m): 8:41am On Feb 01, 2016
Kenmatt:
I have been expecting some one to come up with this argument. Years back, someone imported a vehicle from abroad, it was covered with a tapoulin. Years later, the brand new vehicle was uncovered, the very first day it hit the road, two tires bursted. The chemical components through which tires are made, have expiration date. When it does, the elasticity is gone, so therefore, the tire is expired.

That tire expired because it was under a dead load for long. Even as humans we are designed not to remain for a long tire time under the weight of our body acting through the same spot. We involuntarily role even in our sleep because of that. The outcome for us as human doing that is pressure sore.
This argument is valid for car parked on the same spot for a long time, tires develop pressure sore and burst when eventually put to use or even spoilt if it remains on that spot for long enough. It has nothing to do with age of tire, it is a natural phenomenon. Do it for new tire and it won't live out its even the so called design-life.
It is why I emphasise good maintenance culture. Roll your tire around regularly well gauged, balanced and aligned and you will be surprised how long it can go. You definitely can't argue that what I wrote are outcomes of research. Extensive documentation on it abounds online.

1 Like

Re: How To Take Good Care Of Your Tires by BTT(m): 8:51am On Feb 01, 2016
Ok

(1) (2) (Reply)

See How Much Water Is Trapped In Your Car After Driving Through Flooded Areas / This Video Tells How Important A Fire Extinguisher Is In Your Car / Why Do People Hate Ford So Much?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.