Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,149 members, 7,818,452 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:11 PM

Any Architects In The House? - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Any Architects In The House? (23005 Views)

Architects In The House: Draw Near / Architects In D House, Drawing Of A Four Bedroom Duplex Please! / Architects In Nigeria? (For Industrial Construction) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any Architects In The House? by chrixto: 8:39am On Jul 04, 2009
first degree in architecture,its an interesting career and with time we will get there.i will stick with it.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by DisGuy: 11:21am On Jul 04, 2009
are there typical nigerian/African houses anymore?
most (not all) house I see have this 'foreign' influence
in a hot country like nigeria you'd think the weather will be taking into consideration but no
some houses are straight from Washington D.C
so many money miss roads and lack of creativity in the system!
Re: Any Architects In The House? by lekside44(m): 7:08pm On Jul 04, 2009
i do CAD drawings and write programs for engineers/archi. i also organise seminars/ trainning on cad systems. if anybody is interested, please contact lekside44@yahoo.co.uk. thanks
Re: Any Architects In The House? by Michael13(m): 7:59pm On Jul 04, 2009
i am not an architect and not even planning to be one (I intend being a Computer Scientist) but my younger brother is studying arch, , hanging around with you guys, i guess, is more fun than others
cool
Re: Any Architects In The House? by kamuzu(m): 1:28pm On Jul 05, 2009
You have another architect here. Though am more into engineering and project management at the moment
Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 7:29pm On Jul 05, 2009
I know there's a real craze to turn Abuja FCT to a mega city comparable to J'burg and others
it is obvious the western influence seems to have placed everyone on his/her feet.
I still try to unravel the concept and architecture behind on this new FCT buildings; the NCC building,
especially in its roof design, Is that meant to be an antenna or sumtin
I still cannot trace the firm/architect behind this. Can any architect in the house help me unravel this? i need
to understand this building better than i do presently.

Re: Any Architects In The House? by DisGuy: 12:18pm On Jul 06, 2009
mahal, i think its just a show off really, chances are it was design by a foreigner
very little considerations to the functionality though it would be interesting to get the views of people that
actually use the building-workers and visitors

another thing i notice, most govt building are not being used to capacity, they are not rented out to make money
and they(MDAs) all want to own a building of their own undecided
Re: Any Architects In The House? by yoruba: 12:21pm On Jul 06, 2009
@mahal
So who design that building then?
Re: Any Architects In The House? by Tmoni(m): 12:33pm On Jul 06, 2009
Gosh, am sooooo impressed by the NCC building

Someone once spoke about it on another thread and i was wondering what the whole gist was about but now i understand
Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 2:44pm On Jul 06, 2009
yoruba:

@mahal

I still don't know
Re: Any Architects In The House? by Fredique(m): 3:35pm On Jul 06, 2009
yoruba:

@mahal

It was done  by CCECC (A chinese design and buildconstruction firm based in Abuja) in conjustion with H.abitat As.soci.ates. The involvement of a Nigerian firm from the Working drawing stage ensured that local building regulations and functionality standards were adhered to.

Dis Guy:

mahal, i think its just a show off really, chances are it was design by a foreigner
very little considerations to the functionality though it would be interesting to get the views of people that
actually use the building-workers and visitors

another thing i notice, most govt building are not being used to capacity, they are not rented out to make money
and they(MDAs) all want to own a building of their own undecided

Why do you think so? What do you mean by 'functionality'? Note that developments in building technology, and the move towards a postmodernism has pushed the boundaries of 'functionality'. We need to change the mentality that suggests that if a buidling is not square or rectangluar in form, then it is not functional. That is the lie we were made to believe in our school of architecture.

People have different opinions about functionality, but on a balance, I think that the NCC building is functional. In terms of energy efficiency, it has a courtyard, which ensures that the occupants can choose not to depend on mechanical ventilation. The glazed circular areas of the facade are  stairwells, well, one is a stairwell and the other accomodates circular conference rooms on different floors, which I think is perfect.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 4:23pm On Jul 06, 2009
It seems Fredique is right, I just confirmed from their weblink.
http://www.ccecc.com.cn/english/2006-3/200633090711.htm

well, i still haven't gotten an explanation for the roof, sad
a mate told me it's a sun filter, to welcome the Vitm. D laden early morning sun
from the violent rays of the afternoons,
Re: Any Architects In The House? by Fredique(m): 5:18pm On Jul 06, 2009
mahal:

well, i still haven't gotten an explanation for the roof

I'm not sure what the roof was for. Whether it is symbolic or of specific function, I can safely assume that the reason must have been justified before the client considering the money that must have been spent on it.

I think another weekness in the architectural profession in Nigeria, is the lack of publications that critique structures. In the UK for example, Architecture Review, Building Quarterly and 'Planning' are published regularly to evaluate developments in the Built Environment. If such was available, probably the idea behind the roof (whether symbolic or functional) would be in the public domain. As it is now, only the architect knows, and maybe the clients and the other consultants involved.

I can confirm later from a reliable source what the roof was intended for. In case it is symbolic, I dont think there is anything wrong with it. it wont be the first time. An example is the roof of this hotel in Cardiff bay, UK

Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 6:14pm On Jul 06, 2009
Fredique:

I'm not sure what the roof was for. Whether it is symbolic or of specific function, I can safely assume that the reason must have been justified before the client considering the money that must have been spent on it.

I think another weekness in the architectural profession in Nigeria, is the lack of publications that critique structures. In the UK for example, Architecture Review, Building Quarterly and 'Planning' are published regularly to evaluate developments in the Built Environment. If such was available, probably the idea behind the roof (whether symbolic or functional) would be in the public domain. As it is now, only the architect knows, and maybe the clients and the other consultants involved.

I can confirm later from a reliable source what the roof was intended for. In case it is symbolic, I dont think there is anything wrong with it. it wont be the first time. An example is the roof of this hotel in Cardiff bay, UK

Well, the truth is, I kinda like it,
Nigerian clients ask a lot of question and may want to know the reason for everythin.
It seem this "innovative" or "symbolic" has become a trend especially in the 3 arm cities of Nigeria
Abj, lagos and PH. I intend to use it one of these days, but one have to be prepared with a line
or perhaps words of defense when it's queried, less my Boss would ask me his usual
mischievous question;"do you intend to fund that part of the project with your salary?"
The JBN main office is a good example too.

Re: Any Architects In The House? by Fredique(m): 6:31pm On Jul 06, 2009
@ Mahal.

You are right. The trick is that whilst you may have a 'symbolic' agenda, when it comes to clients, you have to use a 'functional' justification for that. That would also ensure that it will not be a part of the project that the contractor will strike out during construction in order to maximise profit.

mahal:

It seem this "innovative" or "symbolic" has become a trend especially in the 3 arm cities of Nigeria
Abj, lagos and PH.

Dont you think that is one of the reasons those places are the places where architecture is practiced? It is the symbolic that makes architecture transcend beyond 'building'. the use of symbol and meaning (sometimes abtract) is one of the things that makes the architect the 'creative' professional, different from the technician or draughtman.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 7:25pm On Jul 06, 2009
lovestorm:

Why would a client be prepared to pay more for the services of an architect that cannot prove him./herself better
than a cheaper draughtsman?

in this sense i totally disagree with @Mahal.
it is not the architects that have refused to proof themselves better than a draughtsman but the client that have refused to see the architect beyond the principle of just drawing lines!

Fredique:

@ Mahal.

the use of symbol and meaning (sometimes abtract) is one of the things that makes the architect the 'creative' professional, different from the technician or draughtman.

Good word!!, i was made to eat my words earlier, it's quite clear that a lot of Nigerian architects have failed to prove themselves more useful or better than the Draughtsmen. the Trained architect should be required to do things that would make the draughtsman run away with his third leg in his pocket, maybe then, clients would see us beyond the principle of just drawing lines.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 7:32pm On Jul 06, 2009
Fredique:

@ Mahal.

,,,,,,,, you have to use a 'functional' justification for that. That would also ensure that it will not be a part of the project that the contractor will strike out during construction in order to maximise profit.

grin
do i really have to justify my concept or design to the contractor even after convincing the client?
does he have the powers to strike out any part(s) of the work without the consent of the architect?
Re: Any Architects In The House? by Fredique(m): 8:54pm On Jul 06, 2009
mahal:

do i really have to justify my concept or design to the contractor even after convincing the client?
does he have the powers to strike out any part(s) of the work without the consent of the architect?

Actually, he doesn't have such powers, professionally speaking. But in the Nigerian context (in many cases), people don't follow the rules. An example easily comes to mind is a project in a top Architectural firm I worked with. They are the consultants in a top federal government project (the project is ongoing). Because of bugdet overrun and constraints, the client (FCDA)was looking for a way to cut cost. The contractor, also looking for a way to maximize profit pushed for the architect's fenestration design to be struck out, I dont know how it finally went before I left but I know that the contractor had political clout to get what they want. The architect had to resort to 'connection' in order to insist on the design as well as justifying it on 'functionality' basis?

Do you see what I mean? If things are done strictly professionally, they dont have the powers to stike it out. But in Nigeria things are not always done stictly professionally. Contractors like Julius Berger, have been known to use their political weight to make clients sack architects. I can give examples of projects that this has happened, except that I dont want to post it on this forum.

In smaller projects, where the architect may not be engaged for the supervision, it is easy for the contractor to do what he wants.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by moag(m): 1:41pm On Jul 07, 2009
I belong to the noble profession!ARCHITECTURE is a noble profession ,if you want to confirm this try attend site meetings of a big projects comprising other the Architect AND other professionals or ask sincere builders,Engineers e.tc.Desse and other posters are right.
NIA has a long way to go!The body is the culprit of the bane of young architects headache ,i once worked with an architectural firm which happened to be one of the leading firms in this country considering the years of Establishment,profiles of architects in NIA and the projects on -going.The firm offers close to nothing to a fresh architects that i and other colleagues just have to leave.
I remember a colleague that left for the film industry,he was the brain behind one of Nigeria edifice of pride(I DON'T WANT TO MENTION THE NAME)in Abuja.
I am currently with an oil servicing company with a relatively better pay ,but i cant wait to return to architectural practice!I architecture the ogas takes ALL.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by moag(m): 1:48pm On Jul 07, 2009
I belong to the noble profession!ARCHITECTURE is a noble profession ,if you want to confirm this try attend site meetings of a big projects comprising other the Architect AND other professionals or ask sincere builders,Engineers e.tc.Desse and other posters are right.
NIA has a long way to go!The body is the culprit of the bane of young architects headache ,i once worked with an architectural firm which happened to be one of the leading firms in this country considering the years of Establishment,profiles of architects in NIA and the projects on -going.The firm offers close to nothing to a fresh architects that i and other colleagues just have to leave.
I remember a colleague that left for the film industry,he was the brain behind one of Nigeria edifice of pride(I DON'T WANT TO MENTION THE NAME)in Abuja.
I am currently with an oil servicing company with a relatively better pay ,but i cant wait to return to architectural practice!I N architecture the ogas take ALL.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 1:56pm On Jul 07, 2009
moag:

I am currently with an oil servicing company with a relatively better pay ,but i cant wait to return to architectural practice!I N architecture the ogas take ALL.

Don't you think it would be difficult?
Re: Any Architects In The House? by Fredique(m): 3:07pm On Jul 07, 2009
moag:

I am currently with an oil servicing company with a relatively better pay ,[b]but i cant wait to return to architectural practice![/b]I N architecture the ogas take ALL.

mahal:

Don't you think it would be difficult?

Like Mahal rightly pointed out. I know a number of classmates and colleagues who left architecture for better pay in other sectors, hoping to come back later to architecture. I've not seen one person return back. Switching jobs sectors like that is not easy. The most some of them do is to land jobs from their contacts and give their colleagues to execute on their behalf (while they still take credit for it). If you love architecture that much, you would stick with it, complete you professional registration and become an 'Oga' someday rather than 'cutting out'.

There is nothing wrong with changing careers, though.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by lekside44(m): 7:32pm On Jul 07, 2009
can anybody yell me hich is the best software around to creat architectural drawings? autocad, archicad, autocad for architecture, e.t.c
Re: Any Architects In The House? by kaypinchi(m): 9:52pm On Jul 07, 2009
justkunmi:

Architecture.in.Nigeria.is.starting.to.make.a.headway. Its.very.slow.but. .with.time.and.effort. .we'll.get.there.

Plenty.clients.are.starting.to.appreciate.Architects. They.now.know.that.professionals.are.better.than.the.common.roadside.draughtsman.

But.my.biggest.problem.with.Architecture.in.Nigeria.is.the.body.itself. NIA.is.a.backward.body. The.body.filled.with.old.men.with.old.values. .old.techniques.of.doing.things.and.old.ways.of.solving.problems.
They've.formed.a.clique.so.strong.that.no.young.and.upcoming.Architect.can.break.in. They.get.all.the.government.contracts. .all.the.money.spinning.projects.
I.was.at.the.last.NIA.Colloquim.at.ICC.Abuja.and.all.I.saw.a.reunion.party.of.old.money.bags!.
They.need.to.free.up.these.spaces.for.younger.people.to.grow. .

True talk.

moag:

Another true talk.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 10:52am On Jul 08, 2009
lekside44:

can anybody yell me hich is the best software around to creat architectural drawings? autocad, archicad, autocad for architecture, e.t.c

I think They are all Good, it all depends on how well you know them.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by Fredique(m): 10:56am On Jul 08, 2009
lekside44:

It depends, I use all three. You ommitted Revit Architecture, which in my opinion is the 'end of discussion' in the autodesk family. Archicad is also as good as revit, but I use more of autodesk products.

Unlike AutoCAD which is a CAD software, ArchiCAD and Revit Architecture are BIM softwares (BIM means Building Information modelling). BIM should be your best bet since in the final analysis you would want make your life easier and generate architectural drawings, schedule and rendering automatically from a building model.

1 Like

Re: Any Architects In The House? by yoruba: 11:19am On Jul 08, 2009
Fredique:

It depends, I use all three. You ommitted Revit Architecture, which in my opinion is the 'end of discussion' in the autodesk family. Archicad is also as good as revit, but I use more of autodesk products.

Unlike AutoCAD which is a CAD software, ArchiCAD and Revit Architecture are BIM softwares (BIM means Building Information modelling). BIM should be your best bet since in the final analysis you would want make your life easier and generate architectural drawings, schedule and rendering automatically from a building model.
Ive used Revit for a short while but I thought in terms of precision especially when doing details (i.e spiral staircase, ramps, customized design)BIM softwares arent as flexible and precise as Autocad 2d but generally I think BIM software gets the job done alot faster. For 3Ds I use sketchup and render the model with Vray. What I like about sketchup is, it is quick and easy and there is alot of plugins that you can add to make the model look photo realist(but at the moment Im currently learning 3Dmax).
Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 11:27am On Jul 08, 2009
yoruba:

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t(but at the moment Im currently learning 3Dmax).

It seem every i know is in the process of Learning 3D max, haven't really come across anyone with "I know 3D max" tag.
I also have been learning 3D max for the past 5 years without much luck.
I guess i remain stuck with ArchiCAD 12 and Artlantis Studio 2.1
Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 11:36am On Jul 08, 2009
yoruba:

, For 3Ds I use sketchup and render the model with Vray. What I like about sketchup is, it is quick and easy and there is alot of plugins that you can add to make the model look photo realist,

How flexible is Sketch up??, it's a good thing it's compatible with Vray.
What's graphisoft waiting for? haven't they heard bout Vray?
Re: Any Architects In The House? by yoruba: 11:36am On Jul 08, 2009
I must admit it is very technical but there is some tutorials in the net that you can download and they have helped me alot.
As I said, Ive tried Revit but Im a huge fan of Autocad 2d and Im not willing to let go. grin
Re: Any Architects In The House? by yoruba: 11:41am On Jul 08, 2009
mahal:

How flexible is Sketch up??, it's a good thing it's compatible with Vray.
What's graphisoft waiting for? haven't they heard bout Vray?
Sketchup is very easy, I say it is flexible in terms of presentations, components, materials and export/imports.
You can download it for free on Google.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 2:47pm On Jul 08, 2009
yoruba:

Sketchup is very easy, I say it is flexible in terms of presentations, components, materials and export/imports.

Would sketch up do sumting like this?
I saw this presentation online

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Lagosians Rendered Homeless After Ambode Destroyed Their Houses In Ajah(pics) / Can ₦2M Finish The Construction Of A 2-Bedroom Flat? / Why Do People Behave Very Wicked Like This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.