Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,137 members, 7,818,425 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:13 PM

Any Architects In The House? - Properties (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Any Architects In The House? (23004 Views)

Architects In The House: Draw Near / Architects In D House, Drawing Of A Four Bedroom Duplex Please! / Architects In Nigeria? (For Industrial Construction) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any Architects In The House? by larez(m): 8:55pm On Sep 14, 2009
Note that the topography is exaggerated (X3) to clearly see the water flow. A real topography map of this area is necessary for micro analysis. Let's do macro for now.

Re: Any Architects In The House? by larez(m): 8:57pm On Sep 14, 2009
Can you spot the catchment areas? Jibowu, Onipan, Palm Grove.

Re: Any Architects In The House? by larez(m): 8:59pm On Sep 14, 2009
do you see how those catchment areas (flood zones) cut across Ikorodu Road?

Re: Any Architects In The House? by larez(m): 9:03pm On Sep 14, 2009
My Target area NE of this picture

Re: Any Architects In The House? by larez(m): 9:04pm On Sep 14, 2009
Can you see the basins clearly?

Re: Any Architects In The House? by larez(m): 9:06pm On Sep 14, 2009
See where all the water from Fadeyi and most of Anthony goes?

Re: Any Architects In The House? by larez(m): 9:08pm On Sep 14, 2009
See the trough that cuts between Maryland and Ojota, which continues to surround Opebi?

Re: Any Architects In The House? by larez(m): 9:11pm On Sep 14, 2009
Ikeja GRA to Opebi, Have you been spotting the issues? I'll wait for your analysis, but don't give it all away. Talked codedly.

Re: Any Architects In The House? by larez(m): 9:22pm On Sep 14, 2009
Oh, One more thing, Solutions after the fact of all this overbuilding will be very expensive, and may include tunneling. Can you believe that I have seen many gutters being built down valleys and back uphill without any pipes to move the water at the bottom? Like these contractors think water will also flow uphill, lol. Keep your eyes open and you will find many like that in Lagos. I just shake my head when I see these and hope that one day, we will overcome. About the project that I was suggesting, It is very doable for me, but it will surely be a disaster for an idea thief.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by topup: 10:29pm On Sep 14, 2009
Re: Any Architects In The House? by dblock(m): 8:13am On Sep 21, 2009
dblock - those renders show good progress, though they are a little fuzzy. Did you use indigo?? I use indigo renderer and it fuzzes things up. Were they designed using sketchup??

I used Indigo for those, yeah it does get fuzzy, but the longer you render it for the better it gets. I have rendered some that turned out good, the ones I posted here turned out worse than they normally do.

And Yeah I designed it in Sketchup.

Vray is a better renderer but my trial has expired now. sad
Re: Any Architects In The House? by dblock(m): 8:19am On Sep 21, 2009
Something I Rendered with Vray

Do you know what's the cheapest software that can give me good rendering quality?
Re: Any Architects In The House? by topup: 3:26am On Nov 23, 2009
dblock:

Something I Rendered with Vray

Do you know what's the cheapest software that can give me good rendering quality?

Sorry, I'm still looking for the answer to that question myself.

This is a nice render, doesn't say too much about its context though, but I'm sure you were just trying things out.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by larez(m): 11:06am On Nov 25, 2009
Pov-Ray is an excellent fast, and free ray tracing software. You can get more information and download at http://www.povray.org/
Re: Any Architects In The House? by zydo(m): 12:41am On Dec 20, 2009
thumbs up to all who have contributed. it has been a while since a topic on nl made sense. it was educational reading all your posts. looking forward to reading and contributing to discussions on this noble profession.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by topup: 4:31am On Jan 28, 2010
In response to Larez, it seems by you exaggerating the topography of the site, it seems all the water will gather in that valley that the major road has been built in (I can't see the road name), this indicates that that major road is in danger of being flooded, not just during a freak weather incident, but repeatedly because of bad planning, if there isn't adequate drainage placed in this area, it'll be the norm. Thanks for the exercise.

What projects are you doing at the moment, I would like to read them to see if they are suitable for the site.

As for other posters, there is always a chance to become published onto the 'nigerian architecture' blog, with your idea and scheme towards a 'better' Nigeria. Engineering solutions are also welcome. Please check out the blog if you are unfamiliar with it.

http://nigerianarchitecture..com
Re: Any Architects In The House? by larez(m): 8:53pm On Jan 31, 2010
topup:

In response to Larez, it seems by you exaggerating the topography of the site, it seems all the water will gather in that valley that the major road has been built in (I can't see the road name), this indicates that that major road is in danger of being flooded, not just during a freak weather incident, but repeatedly because of bad planning, if there isn't adequate drainage placed in this area, it'll be the norm. Thanks for the exercise.

What projects are you doing at the moment, I would like to read them to see if they are suitable for the site.

As for other posters, there is always a chance to become published onto the 'nigerian architecture' blog, with your idea and scheme towards a 'better' Nigeria. Engineering solutions are also welcome. Please check out the blog if you are unfamiliar with it.

http://nigerianarchitecture..com

Hi and long time!! Yes , that was the point of the excercise to know from exagerating the terrain, where low areas are. Been spending a lot of time on Nigerian Geology. I believe mining will change the paradigm in Nigeria if people will take time out to learn to do it properly. Just completed a preliminary feasibility study for mining and producing Barite. Would you like to buy shares in the company that will be setup for this? lol. Still going to places like Makurdi, Jalingo etc and climbing mountains and stuff to find mine-able minerals. This could be exciting you know?

This project will employ 248 Nigerians directly and probably at least 100 indirectly. They will be well compensated and the company will prove it cares. Can you shift from Architecture to mining? Industrial process planning could be fun too. You get to learn about all kinds of Mills, jigs etc, lol. Hope all is well with you. Cheers, my Friend.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by topup: 6:58pm On Feb 04, 2010
Mining? I don't see why not, architects have been said as being 'fellows who know a little about everything' (whilst engineers have been said to be 'fellows who know a lot about one thing.')

I don't see why you can't branch out, though since you have seen the trials and tribulations of the industry you are able to have extra insight as to the best ways to accomplish this.

More jobs for Nigerians is definitely a plus, but we should be working towards, sustainable jobs, what is the time frame predicted for this project?

Oh yes, since Nigeria is slightly behind on the mining front, there will be plenty of precedents to look at and use, issues that need to be considered is how the mining will affect the terrain, surrounding areas, locals, and workers.

But I believe with perseverance you can achieve it.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 3:45pm On May 05, 2010
Heeeeyyyyyy!!! what happened to this thread?
Re: Any Architects In The House? by topup: 10:53pm On May 08, 2010
mahal:

Heeeeyyyyyy!!! what happened to this thread?

It got un-stickied sad,

Hello Mahal, we've discussed more things since the last time you visited.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by harpo(m): 2:29pm On Nov 11, 2010
pls house i have a 1st degree in archy and i just finishd serving how easy is it to get a job would i treated fairly like those with thier bsc in engineering or i will have to still go back and do my MASTERS part of the schooling, thankx
Re: Any Architects In The House? by topup: 2:23am On Nov 12, 2010
harpo:

pls house i have a 1st degree in archy and i just finishd serving how easy is it to get a job would i treated fairly like those with thier bsc in engineering or i will have to still go back and do my MASTERS part of the schooling, thankx

First of all where are you studying, secondly, I would advise that you open up your search to countries abroad, there is a lot of development occuring in Dubai and in Hong Kong, and they are currently facing the boom phase.

In terms of how you will be treated, that completely depends on where you are applying, how you present yourself, and did you mean you graduated with a first, or did you complete the first part of your degree. If you graduated with a first, congratulations, it shouldn't be too hard to get your foot in the door, and make contacts and network, join recruitment websites and get updates sent directly to your email alerting you to new jobs.

It all depends on how much you want a job, if you want to improve your prospects, why don't you do an internship, you may not get paid a lot but you'll accumulate a good CV which will speak of experience, and experience is the key to getting more jobs.

All the best.

Please check my other topic at: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-532199.0.html#msg6942982 And let me know what you think, it would be much appreciated.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by joshua112: 2:41pm On Nov 12, 2010
topup,
i really appreciate your effort towards speaking about this topic cos it has been an issue disturbing to me.presently i have decided to diversify into project management.Architecure as a course or profession is a night mere.while you are in school, you have lecture who want to victimize you so it will be hard for you to plan,when you graduate,then you have some top members of the NIGERIAN INSTITUTE OF ARCHITECTS(NIA) who wants to frustrate your effort of being a registered architect in nigeria because you graduated from a polytechnic etc.Well im a victim of this circumstance,i tried to get the NIA form and i was told it will take me 6yrs to become registered because i graduated from a polytechnic whereas a masters holder will just do it under a year.

As for me i have decided to combine my architecture with project managment so when i can't any archy job then i will do PM or rather go into full time construction.

Architecture as a career is quiet frustrating in nigeria because a client would rather spend thousands and millions buying materials (blocks,cement) etc for their housing project than rather paying an architect for doing their house designs for them.what clients dont know is that consulting an architect to do their house designs saves them alot of money and gives the engineer or builder ease while building the client's house.The most painful part of the issue is that most educate client allow themselves to be decieved by briclayers and artisans into believeing they dont need an architect that they can use their experience to design a building for the client since they have been building for the past 20yrs(i called them the baba Risika's).

Well i won't let the situations of things to hinder me from being an architect so i have been able to establish my own company(ARCHCRETE LIMITED) registered with C.A.C and i'm into construction,architecture,projectmanagement and interiors.
I also do 3 dimensional drawings.my number is 08023327879
Re: Any Architects In The House? by topup: 3:17am On Nov 13, 2010
joshua112:

topup,
i really appreciate your effort towards speaking about this topic cos it has been an issue disturbing to me.presently i have decided to diversify into project management.Architecure as a course or profession is a night mere.while you are in school, you have lecture who want to victimize you so it will be hard for you to plan,when you graduate,then you have some top members of the NIGERIAN INSTITUTE OF ARCHITECTS(NIA) who wants to frustrate your effort of being a registered architect in nigeria because you graduated from a polytechnic etc.Well im a victim of this circumstance,i tried to get the NIA form and i was told it will take me 6yrs to become registered because i graduated from a polytechnic whereas a masters holder will just do it under a year.

As for me i have decided to combine my architecture with project managment so when i can't any archy job then i will do PM or rather go into full time construction.

Architecture as a career is quiet frustrating in nigeria because a client would rather spend thousands and millions buying materials (blocks,cement) etc for their housing project than rather paying an architect for doing their house designs for them.what clients dont know is that consulting an architect to do their house designs saves them alot of money and gives the engineer or builder ease while building the client's house.The most painful part of the issue is that most educate client allow themselves to be decieved by briclayers and artisans into believeing they dont need an architect that they can use their experience to design a building for the client since they have been building for the past 20yrs(i called them the baba Risika's).

Well i won't let the situations of things to hinder me from being an architect so i have been able to establish my own company(ARCHCRETE LIMITED) registered with C.A.C and i'm into construction,architecture,projectmanagement and interiors.
I also do 3 dimensional drawings.my number is 08023327879

So you have graduated and completed your degree and you can legally work as an architect, but are unable to obtain a membership to the NIA?

That is terribly unfortunate, and highlights the faults within the Nigerian system, don't get me wrong, Architecture is faulty in every country. I will say though that perseverence is key. I also believe you need to be able to network in such an environment and try your hardest to become acquainted with architects all around the world, possibly when you are able, you can make friends in other countries, and invite them or be invited to view their work (and vice versa). Networking is the bond between architects, there's really no other reason to do it, since the competition is fierce.

In a way I do understand your situation, people will always look down upon a polytechnic, especially if you are unable to show proof in the forms that they are used to of the quality of your education.

Have you established a large portfolio, have you an e-portfolio too? If so post the link on this page, if I find anything intersting I will ntofiy you, and if you wish I could post some things on my website.

The future of Nigeria NEEDS architects, I see faulty 'engineered' buildings everywhere. It takes more than maths to construct an amazing building.

I think Nigerians are still suffering when it comes to thinking into the future, we hoard 'materials' and create fortresses to protect our families, but there is something in our culture which can still be tapped into. And it is our need to be unique, to stand out, to show off, once you have been commissioned for a house (maybe a relatives), then I am sure you will get more customers and work.

If possible consider taking part in competitions, global ones, and find something authentic. I would also advise that when you are more stable to do research into the climate, and to encourage low energy and more efficient building. This combination along with a beautiful design will be more than enough to woo the Nigerian fellow.

I hope this helps. (Also if you wish you can send me a sample of a reply which you believe is; "The Nigerian house of the Future" the post can be found here : https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-532199.0.html#msg6942982
Re: Any Architects In The House? by joshua112: 7:47am On Nov 15, 2010
thanks topup.i have a profile of the works i have done in hardcopy(a booklet).but concerning the e- prtfolio can u enlighten me on that.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by topup: 12:53am On Nov 16, 2010
joshua112:

thanks topup.i have a profile of the works i have done in hardcopy(a booklet).but concerning the e- prtfolio can u enlighten me on that.

For example, you may have an online version of your portfolio viewable via the internet. Maybe you've uploaded it on the various sites that host portfolios, or maybe you upload it on flickr, youtube etc.

So that you can send a link to the page of your works very easily to several people, instantly all around the world.

It is not a technical term, it's just a term I use to describe online portfolios, do you have one?
Re: Any Architects In The House? by topup: 12:36pm On Feb 08, 2011
If you would like your work/practice featured in the site, just visit there are contact details on the blog.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by yamakuza: 4:57pm On Jan 10, 2012
Re: Any Architects In The House? by Dharmmieojo(m): 6:44pm On Sep 03, 2012
⌣̊┈̥-̶̯͡»̶̥A̶̲̥̅♏ a̶̲̥̅̊ 2nd year architecture Student would like †̥Ơ̴̴̴͡ know which fields or profession -̶̯͡»̶̥A̶̲̥̅♏ i allowed †̥Ơ̴̴̴͡ do my masters degree
Re: Any Architects In The House? by Akadaworld(m): 8:59pm On Feb 17, 2013
We supply granite:

Stone Dust
1/2" Granite
3/4 Granite
Hardcore

Akada World Trade International Limited
6, Olusegun Obasanjo Way, Beside DHL Office, Ita-Eko, Abeokuta, Ogun State.
Tel: 08037226372 & 08085196184
Email: akadaworldtrade@yahoo.com
Re: Any Architects In The House? by nulohomes(m): 3:58pm On May 15, 2015
There is an architect here!
Re: Any Architects In The House? by nulohomes(m): 4:10pm On May 15, 2015
3d printing 3d renders and architectural model making is now in Nigeria!
at nulohomes.com we do all of the above and also create designs.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Lagosians Rendered Homeless After Ambode Destroyed Their Houses In Ajah(pics) / Can ₦2M Finish The Construction Of A 2-Bedroom Flat? / Why Do People Behave Very Wicked Like This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.