Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,634 members, 7,809,376 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:27 AM

Samsung Drops Out Of Top 5 In China - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Samsung Drops Out Of Top 5 In China (2347 Views)

(video) Hands On With The Infinix Note 5 In Dubai / Anticipate The Infinix Note 5 In 2 Days / Infinix Note 5 In A Bit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Samsung Drops Out Of Top 5 In China by gustav25: 2:43pm On Feb 01, 2016
How the giants have fallen!!Dropping from the Chinese market is no joke for any company.

Samsung has made no secret of the fact that its mobile business is struggling. Time and again the company has pointed towards increased competition from Chinese vendors as one of the reasons why it’s mid-range and low-end devices aren’t performing as well as they used to. The effect is visible in Samsung’s position in China’s smartphone market as it no longer ranks on the list of top 5 smartphone vendors in the country.

Data from Strategy Analytics shows that in Q4 2015 Huawei was the top smartphone vendor in China with 15.2% market share. Xiaomi came second with 14.8% and Apple bagged third place with 13.1% of the market. Vivo and Oppo close out the top 5 with 10% and 9.2% of the market respectively. Samsung ranked fifth in Q3 2015 but that position has now been taken by Oppo and Apple remains the only non-Chinese vendor in the top 5 list. Samsung was leading the field as recently as 2014 but the meteoric rise of local vendors has shrunk its market share as Huawei, Xiaomi, Vivo and Oppo alone now account for almost 46% of China’s smartphone market.
This calls for a reshuffling of ideas in the Samsung camp to hit the ever dynamic market.

Visit http://ogatech..com for more tech news daily

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Samsung Drops Out Of Top 5 In China by abatically(m): 3:10pm On Feb 01, 2016
This does not surprise me at all. Chinese people will always choose their products, especially now that top Chinese phone makers are now releasing premium phones at affordable prices. It was only a matter if time before Samsung goes down the pecking order in china, it doesn't mean Samsung phones are not good, but if oppo or hauwei or xioami can give u almost the same thing Samsung offers at cheaper price, then it is expected they will patronize their own products.

As for Apple, they are just unique and they will always sell their iPhone no matter what they do. Apple phones are premium, they get timely updates and the os is very optimized, moreover no other company offer iOS except Apple. Apple still sell their I phones in china even though their phones never come with double sim whereas every other phones sold in china are dual Sim. This is why I respect iphones.

3 Likes

Re: Samsung Drops Out Of Top 5 In China by gustav25: 3:23pm On Feb 01, 2016
Egbon Apple is number 3 because of the sole reason that it is not a diverse os ......Samsung fell flat because of their ability to dish out 3-⁴ phones same time and also because xiaomi and huawei can give any brand globally a run for their money.
With the android ecology, people in China have the choice to make unlike iPhone that you have no option except you want to switch os or buy a new or old model .
With the way you are talking someone will expect apple to be at the summit but alas the are in number 3 and contribute like only 15-24℅ of the pie.
For this past year ,Samsung bossed all brands in global sales and revenue and I hope you are awell of that?

1 Like

Re: Samsung Drops Out Of Top 5 In China by gustav25: 3:23pm On Feb 01, 2016
cool cool
Re: Samsung Drops Out Of Top 5 In China by abatically(m): 4:06pm On Feb 01, 2016
gustav25:
Egbon Apple is number 3 because of the sole reason that it is not a diverse os ......Samsung fell flat because of their ability to dish out 3-⁴ phones same time and also because xiaomi and huawei can give any brand globally a run for their money.
With the android ecology, people in China have the choice to make unlike iPhone that you have no option except you want to switch os or buy a new or old model .
With the way you are talking someone will expect apple to be at the summit but alas the are in number 3 and contribute like only 15-24℅ of the pie.
For this past year ,Samsung bossed all brands in global sales and revenue and I hope you are awell of that?

For Apple to be in no 3 in china says a lot about how much work Apple has put into iOS. Let's look at it this way. Assuming apple owns windows and iphobes run windows like the lumia phones, u think they will even be in the top 10 smartphones in China? Really? For a phone that comes with just 1 Sim, expesinve with lots of limitation yet it is no 3 in China.
Re: Samsung Drops Out Of Top 5 In China by Orator2383: 8:03pm On Feb 01, 2016
For what I know Huawei and xiaomi produce some of the very best androids phones in the world today. Samsung phones are unnecessary overpriced

1 Like

Re: Samsung Drops Out Of Top 5 In China by abatically(m): 9:02pm On Feb 01, 2016
Orator2383:
For what I know Huawei and xiaomi produce some of the very best androids phones in the world today. Samsung phones are unnecessary overpriced

Um... Huawei top end phones are not cheap either. The huawei mate s costs almost the same as galaxy s6. Galaxy s6 edge plus is more expensive of course because of the edge. And huawei mate 8 is also a very expensive phone. Premium products are not cheap in any part of the world. Problem is we Nigerians want quality for cheap, that is why those Chinese companies would rather sell their mid range phones here because they know people would run when they hear the prices of the high end ones.

2 Likes

Re: Samsung Drops Out Of Top 5 In China by mosjames: 9:23pm On Feb 01, 2016
So Tecno, Gionee and Infinix didn't make the list? Adonbilivit sad
Re: Samsung Drops Out Of Top 5 In China by gustav25: 7:21am On Feb 02, 2016
mosjames:
So Tecno, Gionee and Infinix didn't make the list? Adonbilivit sad
kid can't you read ? When recognised brands are reviewed you are here shouting nonsense .....grow up
Re: Samsung Drops Out Of Top 5 In China by mosjames: 12:17pm On Feb 02, 2016
gustav25:
kid can't you read ? When recognised brands are reviewed you are here shouting nonsense .....grow up
So those brands i just mention aint recognised. Cmon!
Re: Samsung Drops Out Of Top 5 In China by gustav25: 1:06pm On Feb 02, 2016
mosjames:

apart from gionee ,others are not recognised in the global scene
Re: Samsung Drops Out Of Top 5 In China by abatically(m): 2:29pm On Feb 02, 2016
Re: Samsung Drops Out Of Top 5 In China by abatically(m): 2:29pm On Feb 02, 2016
mosjames:

Boy do u know tecno have stopped selling their phones in china because they are not relevant? Now they release most of their phones for the African market. Google is ur friend.

Re: Samsung Drops Out Of Top 5 In China by Nobody: 3:27pm On Feb 02, 2016
abatically:

For Apple to be in no 3 in china says a lot about how much work Apple has put into iOS. Let's look at it this way. Assuming apple owns windows and iphobes run windows like the lumia phones, u think they will even be in the top 10 smartphones in China? Really? For a phone that comes with just 1 Sim, expesinve with lots of limitation yet it is no 3 in China.

Dude quit these so much work u have been shouting on every thread. The only device that runs iOS is iphone and to use it, u ve gotta pick up one
Re: Samsung Drops Out Of Top 5 In China by abatically(m): 4:11pm On Feb 02, 2016
ollah1:

Dude quit these so much work u have been shouting on every thread. The only device that runs iOS is iphone and to use it, u ve gotta pick up one

Dude if iOS is not so good trust me they wouldn't sell. Forget the fact that only iphones run iOS. How many devices run tizen? Why are Microsoft lumia windows phones not making wave allover the world? At least windows have come a long way. How many devices run on blackberry OS? So why is BlackBerry not in the top 10 selling brands? And how many devices ran on webOS before they died?

1 Like

Re: Samsung Drops Out Of Top 5 In China by Nobody: 4:14pm On Feb 02, 2016
abatically:

Dude if iOS is not so good trust me they wouldn't sell. Forget the fact that only iphones run iOS. How many devices run tizen? Why are Microsoft lumia windows phones not making wave allover the world? At least windows have come a long way. How many devices run on blackberry OS? So why is BlackBerry not in the top 10 selling brands? And how many devices ran on webOS before they died?

Nobody is disputing the fact that iOS is good but the only thing that give Apple an edge is still iOS.

Apps, apps and apps is the reason why Android and iOS dominates. Windows and BB10 are very powerful and great OS. Very smooth too
Re: Samsung Drops Out Of Top 5 In China by abatically(m): 4:22pm On Feb 02, 2016
ollah1:

Nobody is disputing the fact that iOS is good but the only thing that give Apple an edge is still iOS.

Apps, apps and apps is the reason why Android and iOS dominates. Windows and BB10 are very powerful and great OS. Very smooth too

Good that u admit iOS is good , now we can shake hands. Just one question though, why do u think developers don't make apps for windows and blackberry. If BlackBerry is so good why are they switching entirely to android? Why is it difficult for Microsoft to figure out what is wrong with windows phones even though they have been in the business for so long?
Re: Samsung Drops Out Of Top 5 In China by Nobody: 4:34pm On Feb 02, 2016
abatically:

Good that u admit iOS is good , now we can shake hands. Just one question though, why do u think developers don't make apps for windows and blackberry. If BlackBerry is so good why are they switching entirely to android? Why is it difficult for Microsoft to figure out what is wrong with windows phones even though they have been in the business for so long?

Dude pls just stop this talk, if you are a developer would you crack your brains to design apps for operating systems that doesn't have a market share??
Re: Samsung Drops Out Of Top 5 In China by abatically(m): 5:03pm On Feb 02, 2016
ollah1:

Dude pls just stop this talk, if you are a developer would you crack your brains to design apps for operating systems that doesn't have a market share??

Guy no be fight. So why do they not have a market share? In ur previous post u said apple has large market share because of apps apps apps. Now u are saying developers make apps for iOS and android because of their market share? Why are u contradicting urself? There must be a reason for that market share don't u think? The same reason that attracts developers to making apps for them.

BlackBerry for example have been available since 1998 that is 10 years older than android and 9 years older than iOS yet their market share is nothing to write home about.

1 Like

Re: Samsung Drops Out Of Top 5 In China by Nobody: 5:22pm On Feb 02, 2016
abatically:

Guy no be fight. So why do they not have a market share? In ur previous post u said apple has large market share because of apps apps apps. Now u are saying developers make apps for iOS and android because of their market share? Why are u contradicting urself? There must be a reason for that market share don't u think? The same reason that attracts developers to making apps for them.

BlackBerry for example have been available since 1998 that is 10 years older than android and 9 years older than iOS yet their market share is nothing to write home about.

Bro, relax ready and understand lines completely. I said Android and iOS dominates and it's all thanks to the apps . Now i will ask you these

When did bb10 debut?
When did Microsoft woke up from their slumber??

You as a developer have Ben making apps for the two dominating platforms and making cool cash. And all of a sudden two platforms debuted, would you start writing lines of codes for those platforms knowing fully well they don't have market share??

Why was MTN dominating the market till porting of number was made possible??
Re: Samsung Drops Out Of Top 5 In China by abatically(m): 5:48pm On Feb 02, 2016
ollah1:

Bro, relax ready and understand lines completely. I said Android and iOS dominates and it's all thanks to the apps . Now i will ask you these

When did bb10 debut?
When did Microsoft woke up from their slumber??

You as a developer have Ben making apps for the two dominating platforms and making cool cash. And all of a sudden two platforms debuted, would you start writing lines of codes for those platforms knowing fully well they don't have market share??

Why was MTN dominating the market till porting of number was made possible??

I get ur point. But Microsoft still haven't gotten it right even with windows 10 mobile. Just look at the OS, icons are too big and it is not attractive, if I'm a developer I won't bother making apps for it because only few people will buy the phones. So we are back to square one... The os is still not good enough and that is why it keeos losing market share and why developers ain't making apps for it.

Same thing with bb10. I mean if bb10 was that good BlackBerry wouldn't switch to android. I love bb10 but the ecosystem is not as sleek as android and iOS. Microsoft are just lazy , if they employ better engineers and work harder they will make windows 10 mobile great. If microsoft were apple do u think they would where they are today in time of mobile OS? Just admit it, Steve jobs did winders with iOS.
Re: Samsung Drops Out Of Top 5 In China by Nobody: 5:57pm On Feb 02, 2016
abatically:

I get ur point. But Microsoft still haven't gotten it right even with windows 10 mobile. Just look at the OS, icons are too big and it is not attractive, if I'm a developer I won't bother making apps for it because only few people will buy the phones. So we are back to square one... The os is still not good enough and that is why it keeos losing market share and why developers ain't making apps for it.

Same thing with bb10. I mean if bb10 was that good BlackBerry wouldn't switch to android. I love bb10 but the ecosystem is not as sleek as android and iOS. Microsoft are just lazy , if they employ better engineers and work harder they will make windows 10 mobile great. If microsoft were apple do u think they would where they are today in time of mobile OS? Just admit it, Steve jobs did winders with iOS.

I haven't seen windows 10 phone so I don't know about it. Bb10 is a very good os. It's very smooth and very sleek. BB made a phone on android cos that was the way out. They don't wanna pull a Nokia hence the move.

If all these platforms debuted almost the same time, don't u think it will be evenly shared market wise. And it would have been more fun and great rather than an Android and iOS thing which is already becoming boring

iOS is a basic OS. More like a launcher
Re: Samsung Drops Out Of Top 5 In China by abatically(m): 6:10pm On Feb 02, 2016
ollah1:

I haven't seen windows 10 phone so I don't know about it. Bb10 is a very good os. It's very smooth and very sleek. BB made a phone on android cos that was the way out. They don't wanna pull a Nokia hence the move.

If all these platforms debuted almost the same time, don't u think it will be evenly shared market wise. And it would have been more fun and great rather than an Android and iOS thing which is already becoming boring

iOS is a basic OS. More like a launcher

U got to give it to Apple bro, no matter how much u try to counter. Apple did not make the first touchscreen phone, but the iPhone was the cornerstone of touchscreen smartphone which other OEMS try to beat. Apple did not make the first tablet, but when apple released the iPad in 2010, people laughed and said it is an overblown iPhone. But today the iPad is the tablet every other tablet try to beat. Whenever a new tablet is released, they compare it with an iPad and when people start comparing their products with a particular product, u know the initial product is doing something right. Apple did not create the first app store, but the apple appstore is the cornerstone of all appstores. What Apple did was make their own home made apps to be top quality thereby making it a cornerstone for all all developers. Microsoft also have some good apps like office, one note etc but lots of default apps in windows 10 mobile are still not up to par, so how do u expect developers to have interest when windows can't even make their own apps good.

Apple did not create the first streaming media, but when they released the Apple TV, every other streaming media companies had to buckle up. Apple did not make the first mp3 player but the iPod was a revolutionary product which killed most of the other mp3 players. Where is Sony Walkman today? It was murdered by the iPod.

There are lots of smart TV in the market today, but watch out when apple release their own smart TV then u will watch how every other TV makers will try to make the Apple TV a product to beat.

2 Likes

Re: Samsung Drops Out Of Top 5 In China by mosjames: 6:29pm On Feb 02, 2016
gustav25:
apart from gionee ,others are not recognised in the global scene
Says who
Re: Samsung Drops Out Of Top 5 In China by Nobody: 6:31pm On Feb 02, 2016
abatically:

U got to give it to Apple bro, no matter how much u try to counter. Apple did not make the first touchscreen phone, but the iPhone was the cornerstone of touchscreen smartphone which other OEMS try to beat. Apple did not make the first tablet, but when apple released the iPad in 2010, people laughed and said it is an overblown iPhone. But today the iPad is the tablet every other tablet try to beat. Whenever a new tablet is released, they compare it with an iPad and when people start comparing their products with a particular product, u know the initial product is doing something right. Apple did not create the first app store, but the apple appstore is the cornerstone of all appstores. What Apple did was make their own home made apps to be top quality thereby making it a cornerstone for all all developers. Microsoft also have some good apps like office, one note etc but lots of default apps in windows 10 mobile are still not up to par, so how do u expect developers to have interest when windows can't even make their own apps good.

Apple did not create the first streaming media, but when they released the Apple TV, every other streaming media companies had to buckle up. Apple did not make the first mp3 player but the iPod was a revolutionary product which killed most of the other mp3 players. Where is Sony Walkman today? It was murdered by the iPod.

There are lots of smart TV in the market today, but watch out when apple release their own smart TV then u will watch how every other TV makers will try to make the Apple TV a product to beat.

By your logic, Apple is the best in everything.
Re: Samsung Drops Out Of Top 5 In China by abatically(m): 6:38pm On Feb 02, 2016
ollah1:

By your logic, Apple is the best in everything.

I didn't say that. But Apple put in s lot of work before releasing their products, they seldom release a half baked product. Apple don't have to release tons of products at once, they take their time to build 1 or 2 products of top quality and that is why they are where they are today. Its like they see the future. I remembered when they released the first iPod and they said it will kill the Walkman and discman, people laughed that how can a device without a disc drive sell... Now see the result.
Re: Samsung Drops Out Of Top 5 In China by mosjames: 6:43pm On Feb 02, 2016
abatically:

Boy do u know tecno have stopped selling their phones in china because they are not relevant? Now they release most of their phones for the African market. Google is ur friend.
But they are doing well in Africa and i think thats enough.
Re: Samsung Drops Out Of Top 5 In China by Nobody: 6:45pm On Feb 02, 2016
abatically:

I didn't say that. But Apple put in s lot of work before releasing their products, they seldom release a half baked product. Apple don't have to release tons of products at once, they take their time to build 1 or 2 products of top quality and that is why they are where they are today. Its like they see the future. I remembered when they released the first iPod and they said it will kill the Walkman and discman, people laughed that how can a device without a disc drive sell... Now see the result.

Of course they would. But they released half baked os. iOS 8 comes to mind. Btw, Steve Jobs was an insane guy. What has Apple done since its demise?
How is Apple fairing? Yes, they are making money but from what, mainly iPhones.
Re: Samsung Drops Out Of Top 5 In China by abatically(m): 7:12pm On Feb 02, 2016
mosjames:

It is not enough. They sell cheap phones in Africa (not whole Africa but some parts) and the population of Africa is not even up to the population of china alone. The number of people that can afford a phone in Africa is not up to 1/3rd of the number of people that can afford to buy phones in china alone.
Re: Samsung Drops Out Of Top 5 In China by 3rdlegxxx(m): 7:50pm On Feb 02, 2016
Quite an educative thread i must say, i have read and learnt a few things, a lot of people fail to realize that Tecno, Infinix and Innjoo are just dumping sub standing products on us, cheaper which is their selling point, fake or never lasting specs, poor camera, screen quality has a 8 months quality max and then you begin to see their true colors, i always respect iphones, Samsung, Iphones have stayed relevant, never settled for less and i doubt if only Steve Jobs was the brain at Apple, he mus t have colleagues, he obviously would have a team, a following, people who emulate him, who learn from him and who are constantly working better to better Apple, Samsung dropping out is a big blow, they have tried to remain relevant but the likes of xiaomi and Huawei are great phone makers, delivering quality, same specs, slightly lower price as this products are made in China so would cost lesser to produce .
Re: Samsung Drops Out Of Top 5 In China by 3rdlegxxx(m): 7:52pm On Feb 02, 2016
mosjames:

The Nigerian mentality, that's enough, manage everything, quality and peace of mind gadgets are out there and we are being fed with low end phones, which after 6-10 months look worn out and faded and you are happy managing in 2016 where the rest of the world are getting more intelligent, demanding for better technology, better gadgets, Naija i hail oo
Re: Samsung Drops Out Of Top 5 In China by gustav25: 11:14pm On Feb 02, 2016
Bro you should understand that all those your points are valid but the factor behind it is simply apple is good like any other os but it gets lots of hype because of the situation of the US in world affairs ......it is seen as a status symbol at least in Nigeria here ....I would still take a sony,lg or Samsung oled smart TV over apple TV ....ask your self why the apple TV is not selling well then you will understand .....
Xiaomi outgrew other competitors because it is homegrown in China like apple in USA and lg in Korea ....each of these oiems have different markets

(1) (2) (Reply)

Poor Samsung Mobile's Warranty Service / How Is GLO Network Services In You Area? / Our Recommended Infinix Phones For Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.