Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,159 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:25 AM

Proof That Specs Don't Mean Anything - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Proof That Specs Don't Mean Anything (7560 Views)

The Samsung Galaxy A8 Series Full Specs & Price / Tecno Spark K7 Full Review: Cheap Does Not Always Mean Crab!!! / Spark K7: The Latest Smartphone By TECNO Mobile, See Specs And Price (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Proof That Specs Don't Mean Anything by Nobody: 4:31pm On Feb 02, 2016
abatically:

Lol. Yes it just works..more ram is added when needed, camera is improved when needed (even at that the 8mp of the iPhone 6 still takes better photos than 13mp of many android phones ). Android on the other hand just bump up specs just for bumping sake. At least u can see a huge performance difference between an iPhone 6s and an iPhone 6, but u can hardly see performance difference between an HTC one m9 and HTC one m8 even though the m9 has 3gb of ram and octacore vs quad core and 2gb of ram in the m8

You can confusing yourself. If it just works, then specs shouldn't be bumped up. Do u know iPhone 6 has better camera than iPhone 6s? Some android yes, the are gazillion android phones out there. IPhone 6s isn't even in the top 5 best camera phone.

Regarding performances, the problem of the M9 wasn't the ram but the chipset. Everybody but u knew SD810 was problematic hence ruining so many android phones last year. Only Samsung was diff but thanks to Sammy for not completing the job with the heavily skinned TW.
Re: Proof That Specs Don't Mean Anything by abatically(m): 4:57pm On Feb 02, 2016
ollah1:

You can confusing yourself. If it just works, then specs shouldn't be bumped up. Do u know iPhone 6 has better camera than iPhone 6s? Some android yes, the are gazillion android phones out there. IPhone 6s isn't even in the top 5 best camera phone.

Regarding performances, the problem of the M9 wasn't the ram but the chipset. Everybody but u knew SD810 was problematic hence ruining so many android phones last year. Only Samsung was diff but thanks to Sammy for not completing the job with the heavily skinned TW.

Nexus 6p also runs on snapdragon 810 and performance is not hindered. And yes I know snapdragon 810 has heating issues and that was why LG didn't bother using it in their LG v10. And like I said, it works, and when it doesn't work so much anymore bump up the specs when necessary , that is what Apple did with the iPhone 6s.

Now about camera, I didn't bother to mention that because it is subjective. Different reviewers with different views. But of all the reviewers, I rate CNET very highly and I think u will also agree with me. Now in CNET's rating for best camera phones, no 1 is LG v10 while iPhone 6s plus stays at number 2. Hey I thought u said that camera ain't good?

See link.

http://www.cnet.com/topics/phones/best-phones/camera/

Another website placed iPhone 6s plus as the best overall camera phone.

Re: Proof That Specs Don't Mean Anything by Nobody: 5:14pm On Feb 02, 2016
abatically:

Nexus 6p also runs on snapdragon 810 and performance is not hindered. And yes I know snapdragon 810 has heating issues and that was why LG didn't bother using it in their LG v10. And like I said, it works, and when it doesn't work so much anymore bump up the specs when necessary , that is what Apple did with the iPhone 6s.

Now about camera, I didn't bother to mention that because it is subjective. Different reviewers with different views. But of all the reviewers, I rate CNET very highly and I think u will also agree with me. Now in CNET's rating for best camera phones, no 1 is LG v10 while iPhone 6s plus stays at number 2. Hey I thought u said that camera ain't good?

See link.

http://www.cnet.com/topics/phones/best-phones/camera/

Another website placed iPhone 6s plus as the best overall camera phone.

Camera is now subjective but it wasn't when u said iPhone 6 had better camera than most android phones..

SD810 hindered so many things, OEMS couldn't put some some certain things into their flagships cos of the heat shi. Back to the camera thing. Dxomark is the number one site that tests camera fully and they aren't comprised like some tech sites

Check attached
N.B Higher is better.

You would realise only 6s plus has a better camera, while iPhone 6 , 6s and 6 plus turned out same thing

Re: Proof That Specs Don't Mean Anything by abatically(m): 5:35pm On Feb 02, 2016
ollah1:

Camera is now subjective but it wasn't when u said iPhone 6 had better camera than most android phones..

SD810 hindered so many things, OEMS couldn't put some some certain things into their flagships cos of the heat shi. Back to the camera thing. Dxomark is the number one site that tests camera fully and they aren't comprised like some tech sites

Check attached
N.B Higher is better.

You would realise only 6s plus has a better camera, while iPhone 6 , 6s and 6 plus turned out same thing

Like I said, different websites have different views about camera. Testing a camera is dependent on lots of factors and only professionals can truly rate the best cameras. Even the website u showed me iPhone 6s plus is still no 3. I know iphones don't have the best cameras but whenever u call the top 5 camera phones, iphone 6s plus will be named. Samsung galaxy s6, s6 edge, note 5, nexus 6p, lg v10, iPhone 6s plus are among the best camera phones available right now. If u notice people don't even mention the blackberry priv even though it has an 18mp camera, that is to tell u specs is not everything, what matters is the software.

Oh, and yes iPhone 6 with 8mp camera takes better pictures than lots of higher mp android phones. Or do u wanna put techno L5 (13mp), infinix zero 2 (13mp) or even techno canon c8 against the iPhone 6 in terms of camera? Fear no dey catch u.
Re: Proof That Specs Don't Mean Anything by Nobody: 5:48pm On Feb 02, 2016
abatically:

Like I said, different websites have different views about camera. Testing a camera is dependent on lots of factors and only professionals can truly rate the best cameras. Even the website u showed me iPhone 6s plus is still no 3. I know iphones don't have the best cameras but whenever u call the top 5 camera phones, iphone 6s plus will be named. Samsung galaxy s6, s6 edge, note 5, nexus 6p, lg v10, iPhone 6s plus are among the best camera phones available right now. If u notice people don't even mention the blackberry priv even though it has an 18mp camera, that is to tell u specs is not everything, what matters is the software.

Oh, and yes iPhone 6 with 8mp camera takes better pictures than lots of higher mp android phones. Or do u wanna put techno L5 (13mp), infinix zero 2 (13mp) or even techno canon c8 against the iPhone 6 in terms of camera? Fear no dey catch u.

There are 4 different phones right before iphones 6s and iphones 6s position is also shared by 2 other phones. Regarding the test, some tech sites are compromised and will give you false reviews. Yes, that's the fact. But all thanks to this site which isn't compromised and would tell you exactly how it is.. their strength are cameras, displays and chipset. Not like other tech sites that just post news and general reviews
Re: Proof That Specs Don't Mean Anything by abatically(m): 5:49pm On Feb 02, 2016
ollah1:

There are 4 different phones right before iphones 6s and iphones 6s position is also shared by 2 other phones. Regarding the test, some tech sites are compromised and will give you false reviews. Yes, that's the fact. But all thanks to this site which isn't compromised and would tell you exactly how it is.. their strength are cameras, displays and chipset. Not like other tech sites that just post news and general reviews

Dude CNET are one of the most trusted review sites.
Re: Proof That Specs Don't Mean Anything by Nobody: 5:51pm On Feb 02, 2016
abatically:

Dude CNET are one of the most trusted review sites.

Yes, what are their strengths?? Dxomark isn't jack of all trades like other tech sites. They talk mainly on their strengths

Cameras
Displays
Chipset
Re: Proof That Specs Don't Mean Anything by abatically(m): 6:20pm On Feb 02, 2016
ollah1:

Yes, what are their strengths?? Dxomark isn't jack of all trades like other tech sites. They talk mainly on their strengths

Cameras
Displays
Chipset

I will not argue with u on this. I never said iphones have the best camera, but their cameras are up there among the best.
Re: Proof That Specs Don't Mean Anything by Nsonaso(m): 7:27pm On Feb 02, 2016
abatically:

Dude do u just like to contradict urself ? Why was this thread created in the first place? To tell u that apps run better on iPhones with lower specs than android phones with monster specs. So thank u for letting me know opera mini is way better on iOS than androids (as if I don't already know).

Just like I said, I don't use opera mini because no matter how good it is, its still a mini designed to compress data. U can spend 10 times the data u use to open a page on opera mini if u open the same page on safari. Safari is a full blown browser. Ur argument was that iPhone 6s cannot open 25 pages on opera mini without refreshing, and I just showed u that it can open that amount of pages on safari without refreshing. Common sense should tell u that since it can do that with safari which is a heavier browser, then doing so on opera mini should be a piece of cake. Even phones with 1gb of ram can hold 20 pages on opera mini without problems. Now I don't know the purpose of ur argument because all u have done is prove me right. The main purpose of creating opera mini is to compress, compress and compress.
This is your statement "On paper android is the clear winner, but it is not so in real world. This is where I respect Apple for creating an os that is well optimized and runs perfectly with lilimited power"

I now tell you that, the reason why apps runs faster on iOS is not because of iOS optimization....(So no need to say you rep apple cos is not Apple that did the work. the people that actually did the work is app developers that optimize their apps to work flawlessly with iOS)

All those apps you see on iOS except the basic apps are not developed by Apple it is third party app developers that developed it.

..... App developers are different from OS developer.

OS developers are:
1. Apple the developer of iOS for iPhone/iPad/iPod and Mac OSx for Apple PC
2. Google the developer of Android OS for Android phone/Tablet and Chrome OS for PC
3. Microsoft the developer of Windows OS for PC and Windows OS for phone/Tablet
..... Though Microsoft all developer apps (software) e.g Microsoft Office etc and Google also develope apps like Chrome browser etc to name a few....

While
App developers are independent thirty part (could be individual or corporate) people like you and me who develops app (software) that runs on different platform of their choice.. This is not Apple but a company on it's own

So when I made an example that OPERA MINI on iOS is better than Opera mini on other platforms, it was not Apple that developed opera mini for iOS

1 Like

Re: Proof That Specs Don't Mean Anything by abatically(m): 7:44pm On Feb 02, 2016
Nsonaso:

This is your statement "On paper android is the clear winner, but it is not so in real world. This is where I respect Apple for creating an os that is well optimized and runs perfectly with lilimited power"

I now tell you that, the reason why apps runs faster on iOS is not because of iOS optimization....(So no need to say you rep apple cos is not Apple that did the work. the people that actually did the work is app developers that optimize their apps to work flawlessly with iOS)

All those apps you see on iOS except the basic apps are not developed by Apple it is third party app developers that developed it.

..... App developers are different from OS developer.

OS developers are:
1. Apple the developer of iOS for iPhone/iPad/iPod and Mac OSx for Apple PC
2. Google the developer of Android OS for Android phone/Tablet and Chrome OS for PC
3. Microsoft the developer of Windows OS for PC and Windows OS for phone/Tablet
..... Though Microsoft all developer apps (software) e.g Microsoft Office etc and Google also develope apps like Chrome browser etc to name a few....

While
App developers are independent thirty part (could be individual or corporate) people like you and me who develops app (software) that runs on different platform of their choice.. This is not Apple but a company on it's own

So when I made an example that OPERA MINI on iOS is better than Opera mini on other platforms, it was not Apple that developed opera mini for iOS

Really? Seriously? Oh i forgot I'm a noob and I don't known the difference between OEM and 3rd party app developers. Apps made for phones depend on the architecture of the OS and how OEMS want the app to look and run. If u look at Apple's default apps for the I phones, they follow a particular trend, hey are high quality apps which is what 3rd party developers follow to make apps for Iphones. For example the clock app, the music app, contacts, messaging, etc. There is a high level of consistency. This is what Google is trying to do with android by introducing material design and u can see that lots of 3rd party developers are now updating their apps to material design. Google even introduced bouncer to delete any app that is not built up to standard... This has been on iOS for a long time.

I have used different phones than I can remember, all high end. It took android up to 2015 to eradicate lag on their high end phones... I'm not even talking about mid range here. Galaxy s5, note 4, LG g3, HTC one m8 even the nexus 6 all lag after a few months of usage, whearas lag is very very minimal on the iPhone. I used an iPhone 5s (2013 flagship) for 8 months and I never experienced any lag. My lg g3 was a lag magnet. As much as I love that phone, I can't deny I hated the terrible lag and performance issues it gave me. But I must confess the lag has disappeared after I updated to marshmallow recently. My galaxy s6 does not lag and I've tried a few 2015 high end android phones and I can tell u Google finally got rid of the lag but it took them 7 years to get it right.

Windows on the other hand have a terrible architecture , even some windows apps are ugly with their oversized icons that cover half of the screen in apps. Tell me how do u expect 3rd party developers to make solid apps when the OEM's guidelines are nothing to write home about. I have used a lumia 930 and had to sell it after 6 months to buy an lg g3. While I love the snoig performance of the OS, the architecture was not well built. I missed many notifications and the drop down quick toggle is limited to only a few toggles. Tell me how can developers make good apps for such is with bad architecture. Just look at how the twitter app looks on windows 10 mobile vs android.

1 Like

Re: Proof That Specs Don't Mean Anything by Impulse80(m): 8:43pm On Feb 02, 2016
abatically:

Guy use ur common sense. Specs doesn't mean anything doesn't necessarily mean OEMS should release phones whom internals cannot handle tasks flawlessly. Apple know how to make the best out of their phones with less power, something android is lacking.
I-madness!
Re: Proof That Specs Don't Mean Anything by Nsonaso(m): 9:05pm On Feb 02, 2016
abatically:

Apps made for phones depend on the architecture of the OS and how OEMS want the app to look and run
mind the bold sentence.... Does that bold sentence has anything to do with the OS optimization? CAPITAL NO.
that is OEM policy which I stated earlier in my first message that Apple has full and complete control over apps published on Apple store... That you must meet their standard or you get kicked out of Apple App Store (this is company policy and not any OS optimization)

Google on the other hand has little or less policy on apps published on Google play store so anybody can post half baked junk apps. Does this also mean OS optimization? CAPITAL NO
It's Google policy it has nothing to do with the OS being optimize or not.

I.e if your OS is optimized to run on 0.0byteHz processor and 0.000byte RAM, junk apps will still run like a creeple on it even if the device itself has 1PB of RAM and 3.7PBHz of processor
So is this also OS fault? CAPITAL NO

So it's never Android OS fault that apps run faster on iOS and run slower on Android despite it high CPU, is as the cause of the app itself not being optimized to run flawlessly on Android.....

Again if spec didn't matter: 1. why do older idevices lag when new iOS is released?
2. Why that is only iPad Air and later version supports true multi tasking (I.e split screen)?
3. Why that only iPhone 6s and 6s plus can set video as wallpaper?
4. Etc

In conclusion :

If spec doesn't really translate performance as you said, pick the same platform (let say iDevice older vs new device) since the OS itself is written with the same language, it's apps also is written with the same language and runs with the same mechanism. so their only difference will be their hardware, then compare their real life performance. And write your testimony here.

And Not comparing different platform that has nothing in common with each other, and also run their things differently in a way that is far beyond your scope.

1 Like

Re: Proof That Specs Don't Mean Anything by Mcbussy(m): 8:49am On Feb 03, 2016
abatically:

U just buttress my point that apps run flawlessly on less powerful ecosystem like IOS than on Android. This means Apple put in a lot to make it work that way. Android on the other hand is power hungry and requires high cpu and ram to make apps run as fast (not even as fast) as in IOS. The android phone in the video is a Google Nexus phone, that is supposed to be the benchmark of android phones.

Actually only Google apps run faster on Android, every other apps are more optimized on Iphones

It seems you don't get what he's saying. He is saying that Apple will never officially lunch and distribute ur app on their store until they have tested it and seen that it is fully optimized to work flawlessly on IOS. On the other hand, you can push just about anything into Google play store, whether it's optimized or full of bugs. This is thesame reason why there are some apps filled with bugs u download on playstore.

The only way Apple can prove this superiority over android is if they start allowing developers push just anything into their app market. That's when u'll know the power of specs. The apps that would slow down a 2Ghz Octacore android would totally crash on a 1.8ghz dual core IOS.

So the difference is that nothing that is unoptimized is allowed on IOS, while most of the time, applications on Android are just designed to run, not necessarily optimized.
Re: Proof That Specs Don't Mean Anything by jiggar(m): 1:15pm On Feb 03, 2016
Mcbussy:

It seems you don't get what he's saying. He is saying that Apple will never officially lunch and distribute ur app on their store until they have tested it and seen that it is fully optimized to work flawlessly on IOS. On the other hand, you can push just about anything into Google play store, whether it's optimized or full of bugs. This is thesame reason why there are some apps filled with bugs u download on playstore.
The only way Apple can prove this superiority over android is if they start allowing developers push just anything into their app market. That's when u'll know the power of specs. The apps that would slow down a 2Ghz Octacore android would totally crash on a 1.8ghz dual core IOS.

So the difference is that nothing that is unoptimized is allowed on IOS, while most of the time, applications on Android are just designed to run, not necessarily optimized.
I have been following this creative argument, from page 1,and I must confess, I appreciate all contributions made.

I like the way you summarised it all and made it very simple and straight to the point. Thanks to all the contributors, I really learnt so much here, regardless of the phones or OS being used.

1 Like

Re: Proof That Specs Don't Mean Anything by Nobody: 4:11pm On Feb 03, 2016
abatically:

I will not argue with u on this. I never said iphones have the best camera, but their cameras are up there among the best.

Yes, the recent one is but not amongts the top 4

(1) (2) (Reply)

Etisalat Gaga: An Andriod 2.2 Smartphone From Etisalat For Just 19,000 / Can You Do Without Your Phone For 20 Minutes / Root Any Android Phone Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.