Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,851 members, 7,813,901 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:05 PM

Start Own Rice Business Today - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Start Own Rice Business Today (855 Views)

Join The Tractor Hire Business Today And Smile To Bank / Start Meat Processing Business Today Is Profitable / Open A Meat Market Business Today The Best'check This! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Start Own Rice Business Today by adetunjiyomi(m): 11:03am On Feb 02, 2016
When I started, I thought it was a difficult thing. First, I went to Takum Local government in Taraba state to learn rice processing, because it was hard to find a large processing or milling enterprise in the southwest and most were not ready to teach. After my two weeks training in Taraba, I went to Benue state to make more findings. These two states are part of the largest rice farming states in Nigeria, and they are known to have a lot of small mills. Armed with the knowledge of rice processing and business from other states, I came to Ado Ekiti to establish a medium scale rice processing unit which has been thriving ever since. It was, as matter of fact, arguably the largest processing unit in Ekiti state. With this three years of ever increasing success in rice processing, packaging and marketing, I thought of sharing my knowledge, showing you how you can also profit by being a rice processor.

Business is business. It has no other name for it. Call it agribusiness or what have you, it is still business. To start you own rice business, you need a minimum capital of 60k. Well, as a startup you are not getting a processing unit with 60k. For records sake, you'll need about 100million to install an average of 20tons per day processing unit. Lets leave the quantity aside and focus on the small, I mean really really small scale rice business. Which you can start with 60k.

Step 1: Get your capital.
I don't know how. Just get your capital. Don't steal it cause you might end up in jail. You can ask a friend, tell your family, or just save it. I don't really advice borrowing, but if you can get it at 1 digit interest rate, why not?

Step 2: Decide your rice variety.
You really need to investigate all kinds of rice varieties in Nigeria. At least the popular ones. Usually always location determined. If you are from the North NERICA and Farrow should be your best bet. If you are in the sourhtwest, Ofada is most popular. The choice is yours.

Step 3: Decide your market
Better still, look for one. Your market is your business and not the product. Yes the product is the value you offer for money. But the people in your market are the ones that will pay. No pay no business.

Step 4: Look for a Your miller
This is where your work really starts. You need to go to the rural areas where there are local rice millers. Look for a miller with "near modern" equipment and excellent perboiling and drying techniques. Also look out for high level of hygiene. ADVICE: Make a call to a friend in such areas before you started out.

Step 5: Packaging! Packaging!! Packaging!!!
After all the work has been done. You must present yourself, your product in the right package to attract the best buyers.

Budget:
Transport and carriage 10k
Initial rice 21k
packaging 20k
misc. 8k

Abayomi 08107000957
Re: Start Own Rice Business Today by PapaBrowne(m): 2:44am On Feb 03, 2016
I will call you up today for some knowledge tips. Thanks a lot for the info.
Re: Start Own Rice Business Today by ekamavictor(m): 2:50pm On Feb 03, 2016
Thankss for d insight. I will be in Ekiti on. Sunday. Can I locate you
Re: Start Own Rice Business Today by adetunjiyomi(m): 11:11am On Feb 05, 2016
sure... My business is in Ekiti, we can always meet

(1) (Reply)

Qatar To Fly In 4,000 Cows In 60 Flights Via Qatar Airways / Get Commission From Farmland Sales In Ogbomosho / The Millionaire Farmer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.