Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,879 members, 7,817,590 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:06 PM

What Is Prayer??? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Prayer??? (295 Views)

What You Need Is Prayer / Is Prayer The Solution To Nigeria's Problems? / Is Prayer Effective? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Is Prayer??? by ValentineMary(m): 4:19pm On Feb 03, 2016
One would think the act of praying presumes a divine being is a) listening, b) cares and c) will, or at least might, respond in some way. In other words, prayer should actually DO something, right? Not necessarily. Some Christians, (I think in an attempt to explain why prayer doesn’t “work”) have explained that prayer is a discipline intended to improve the spiritual life of the person. God might hear your prayers but they don’t actually accomplish anything outside of the individual. Even the studies conducted about prayer seem to indicate that prayer can be an effective tool for stress relief and connecting with others but there is not much to indicate efficacy in an intercessory role. In other words, it doesn’t seem that prayer changes things outside of the role of “placebo effect”, positive thinking, and the role of a nurturing care team (which is actually quite fascinating). I found great freedom the day I was able to excuse myself from the responsibility of prayer. In the end, I see prayer as a potentially useful tool that can make certain people feel better about their situation and I’m only concerned about it when it extends to refusing medical care to children or those who are unable to make those decisions on their own. If people want to pray for me, I’m totally fine with that as long as they don’t expect me to be present for it. God help them if they try to lay hands on me.

(1) (Reply)

Prayer Points On Today's Open Heavens / If Jonah Knew Pastorial Job Would Pay. / Bestiarius Show Killed Himself

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.