Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:04 AM

How To Build An International Career...step by step approach - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Build An International Career...step by step approach (15090 Views)

How To Look For Another Job Without Your Boss Finding Out ( Step-by-step Method) / Start Your International Career With Easy Pass International / Opportunity To Create An International Career Is Here: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by Marxxx: 10:54pm On Feb 04, 2016
As an undergraduate there are so many things going through your mind, you read about the economy and the frequent lose of job, mass sacking and all that then you tell yourself "I can't kill myself" the yoruba's have a funky way of saying it.
Let me tell you even at the height of US economic recession, when the manufacturing sector was at its nadir of misery, firms were still hiring so don't panic.
Building an International career requires discipline and determination. Your course of study doesn't matter much but a numerate discipline will always give you an edge. Let's see how we can build an International career from the scratch

1. Get a foreign work experience before you graduate. How is this possible? When your department organises a FUN TRIP please endeavour to attend if you don't have money go and borrow. Are You going there to have fun? No but it is an avenue for you to gain international work experience. Before the trip, browse any local agency or NGO around that part of the country where you guys will reside temporarily, volunteer to work with agency or NGO even if it is just for 5days....you can keep in touch with them later online. This is where your CV begins.... you will continually update your CV with the activities of the organisation even you didn't participate actively you are part of them at the end you can claim a 1 or 2 years Volunteering with them....(you have a foreign experience; even if it's Togo)

2 Strive to finish with a good grade. No matter the opposition a (1.1) is good but if you can get it, don't let the (2.1) slip away. Study like your life depends on it (of course it does), avoid distractions as much as possible. Study smart if the discipline doesn't interest you and you are hoping to seek another career path please read just to pass the exams with flying colours. (Study with past questions even when exam is not around the corner cram as much as possible; I knew I won't be a good fish farmer hence from day one I started cramming...the earlier the better)

3. Ensure you get a good internship position in a structured environment. This might be difficult but like I said you have to be DETERMINED "In Kanu's voice". There are organisations that I know that have internship slots almost all through the year...(SCB, P&G, KPMG, Oil and Gas etc). Don't wait until you graduate before you start hunting internship positions. Use your long vacations and SIWESfor internship not roaming about. If you successful spend 2-3 months on internship, in a structured environment, that is another 1 year work experience... tongue...We add that to our CV.....How do we get internship positions? Envisage when your long vacation will probably fall, start applying 2 months before that period. Send both Soft and Hard copies. Send the hard copy through courier services or Nipost. (I still use Nipost... cheesy,..yeah! go to the post office use it. That is why your parents are paying taxes. You can list all the addresses of companies you want take them to nipost and start sending as many times as you wish....it is far cheaper) This way your application goes to the Hr unit and the appropriate person is viewing it. You might be lucky and get a call.

4. Learn a foreign Language. If you have like minds around 4 or 5 of you can tax yourselves raise a small amount of money (5-20k) hire a french teacher from one of the secondary schools around ( I got a diploma while serving and it's really giving me an edge at the office). Take it with passion. Or you can wait, while serving enrol for a french course and get a diploma. Bottom line, Ensure you learn french before pulling the khaki.

5. Participate in school activities. Join an NGO, or the Sport club (football, tennis, volley ball etc), quiz club etc....also join any reasonable association (state association etc)...Why are we joining? You are joining not because you love to (although it depends on the individual) undecided, but because we need the leadership experience so Ensure you become an exco preferably the president. Even if it's a church activity. Now that is a section in our CV building. Ensure you get involved in at least 4 groups hold leadership position in at least two. Get the certificates and document properly.

6 Try to win a scholarship no matter how paltry the sum is. Even if it is baba ijebu scholarship. Registered or unregistered. At least get MTN scholarship (it's easier compared to shell et al) ....We will also incude this in our CV building....

7. If you are in a non numerate discipline you can register for the ATS stuff. ATS 1 & 2, is ok just to sharpen your business skill and get you familiar with business terms and basic management principles. (I got 1,2 and 3) while still in school or you get a software certification depends on your interest.....This will also be in your CV...

8. Finally, while serving ensure you get as many certification as possible no matter how useless the certification seems....Nim, HSE, pmp, Customer service....everything just ensure you get as much as possible.....(i used poly bag to carry my certification after Nysc undecided)..pls just select some and include in your CV...if you put all, your may enter the 5th page lool...

With this CV you can apply to almost any international graduate programme. You can come to us ********, Mckinsey, SCB, you can go to the oil and gas, Heineken, IBM, BAT, Ericsson, Telecomms These are some of the places that can reward your hard work appropriately....before you start eyeing IMF, World Bank,Microsoft, Google, AFDB, UN, CBN et al.....

Now with all these imagine if an interviewer should ask you tell me about yourself?....he/she will be amazed....

Vinmayo, I don't know if you are still in school? this is how best I think I can Advise....!!!!

Cc: Davide470

45 Likes 15 Shares

Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by gossipgirlie: 11:06pm On Feb 04, 2016
This is such an eye opener. Wish someone told me this while i was an undergraduate.Any 'late' advice for a graduate?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by Marxxx: 11:28pm On Feb 04, 2016
gossipgirlie:
This is such an eye opener. Wish someone told me this while i was an undergraduate.Any 'late' advice for a graduate?
it depends on your present experience, discipline and your interest.
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by gossipgirlie: 11:59pm On Feb 04, 2016
Marxxx:
I don't have much experience.I studied history and international studies.I love helping people alot,don't like seeing people in pain.This thread has rekindled my interest.I'd like to volunteer and i have the prefect place in mind though I'm still in favour market.Thanks.

1 Like

Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by SSpeter(m): 1:29pm On Feb 05, 2016
I wish I had seen this few years ago.....truly I would have graduated a better me...Thanks Marxxx.....
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by Gerrard59(m): 5:48pm On Feb 05, 2016
Marxxx:

I do appreciate the advise and tip-bits. This is where I so much thank Jarushub and Co. I am studying Genetics and Biotechnology; although I love the course, I see myself more as a business analyst/consulting/investment-banking individual(intend writing my ICAN later on CIS, CFA etc, this would definitely come after work experiences) .

I was criticized by a colleague of not being interested in practicals as the course entails practicals; issue is I'm more interested in the business of things. I would rather work in the business development unit of Syngenta( say hi to Chemchina) than be in its labs, work in Vetiva Capital than Astrazeneca(Nigeria branch oh) .

Nonetheless, I'm doing very well, recently saw my results and I was elated and motivated(currently on a First Class). The problem with learning a foreign language(tried Duolingo) is the lack of fellow speakers to help hone one's skill. Intend following the plan of learning the language before/during service; preferably French or Chinese.

To further add, students should watch stations like Bloomberg, CNN, BBC. Read newspapers like The Economist, Wall Street Journal, Financial times, Straits Times of Singapore, SCMP(spend half of my pocket money on subscriptions) to hone their business and spoken English skills.
Follow individuals like Naga Munchetty, Mark Barton, Anna Edwards, Caroline Hyde. Chei! I'm a Bloomberg fanatic. grin

Leadership skills is my weakness. I have been accused of being self centered(how would I love someone more than myself?). Intended going for the departmental president, was advised by close colleagues to shelve the idea as I would lose woefully.
So I ask, is the leadership skill that necessary? How did you get such skills if you didn't/don't like talking to people or addressing a crowd?

I went through your posts and I discovered you're a serious and disciplined fellow. Would mind if I follow your posts and topics?

Thanks a lot. Learnt a lot.

10 Likes

Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by obiaguna(m): 1:38pm On Feb 06, 2016
Hi Maxx. Thanks for the write up. I wish I had seen this in school. I'm sure I would have performed better. I narrowly missed out on a 2'1, I have completed nysc and I'm currently working as an junior accounting associate at an average firm(definitely not my dream job yet). I studied finance and I would be sitting for the next diet of ICAN. How do I take it up from there? what are the extra soft skills or general skills you think can help me stand out in the long term and at least get a shot at those ivy-league organizations you mentioned up there. Hoping to hear from you. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by Gerrard59(m): 3:31pm On Feb 06, 2016
obiaguna:
Hi Maxx. Thanks for the write up. I wish I had seen this in school. I'm sure I would have performed better. I narrowly missed out on a 2'1, I have completed nysc and I'm currently working as an junior accounting associate at an average firm(definitely not my dream job yet). I studied finance and I would be sitting for the next diet of ICAN. How do I take it up from there? what are the extra soft skills or general skills you think can help me stand out in the long term and at least get a shot at those ivy-league organizations you mentioned up there. Hoping to hear from you. Thanks.

Your questions would be well dissected by Jarushub. Google Jarushub.

2 Likes

Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by vinmayo(m): 3:35pm On Feb 06, 2016
It is well-appreciated and very educative.

I'm still in school. 200l.

Lucky me, I have this information at hand.

I have been opportune to do a 3 months internership in one of the Big 4 accounting firm and my CGP is 3.9, in total I have like 3 years experience already and I am still pushing myself to greatness.

Now that I have this blueprint I will keep striving to achieve more. Because, of my course of study I get exemptions for professional certification and I believe it is best to get certified after I am through in the University.

Others in the list will done before the completion of the Bsc although I finance myself and I know getting it all done will be tough, but, it will be done!

I'm grateful Marxxx

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by kingzx0(m): 9:27pm On Feb 06, 2016
Very insightful would recommend for freshman to digest.
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by DisGuy: 1:09am On Feb 07, 2016
Gerrard59:

I do appreciate the advise and tip-bits. This is where I so much thank Jarushub and Co. I am studying Genetics and Biotechnology; although I love the course, I see myself more as a business analyst/consulting/investment-banking individual(intend writing my ICAN later on CIS, CFA etc, this would definitely come after work experiences) .

I was criticized by a colleague of not being interested in practicals as the course entails practicals; issue is I'm more interested in the business of things. I would rather work in the business development unit of Syngenta( say hi to Chemchina) than be in its labs, work in Vetiva Capital than Astrazeneca(Nigeria branch oh) .

Nonetheless, I'm doing very well, recently saw my results and I was elated and motivated(currently on a First Class). The problem with learning a foreign language(tried Duolingo) is the lack of fellow speakers to help hone one's skill. Intend following the plan of learning the language before/during service; preferably French or Chinese.

To further add, students should watch stations like Bloomberg, CNN, BBC. Read newspapers like The Economist, Wall Street Journal, Financial times, Straits Times of Singapore, SCMP(spend half of my pocket money on subscriptions) to hone their business and spoken English skills.
Follow individuals like Naga Munchetty, Mark Barton, Anna Edwards, Caroline Hyde. Chei! I'm a Bloomberg fanatic. grin

Leadership skills is my weakness. I have been accused of being self centered(how would I love someone more than myself?). Intended going for the departmental president, was advised by close colleagues to shelve the idea as I would lose woefully.
So I ask, is the leadership skill that necessary? How did you get such skills if you didn't/don't like talking to people or addressing a crowd?

I went through your posts and I discovered you're a serious and disciplined fellow. Would mind if I follow your posts and topics?

Better concentrate on your First Class project than justling for that president campaign- In nigerian university student union and the likes are akin to agberoism - I don't even know which HR sees that as a positive thing- Join sports- even Table Tennis be the coordinator of the weekly tournament or organise Marathons!!
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by Nobody: 10:04pm On Feb 11, 2016
Marxxx:
As an undergraduate there are so many things going through your mind, you read about the economy and the frequent lose of job, mass sacking and all that then you tell yourself "I can't kill myself" the yoruba's have a funky way of saying it.
Let me tell you even at the height of US economic recession, when the manufacturing sector was at its nadir of misery, firms were still hiring so don't panic.
Building an International career requires discipline and determination. Your course of study doesn't matter much but a numerate discipline will always give you an edge. Let's see how we can build an International career from the scratch

1. Get a foreign work experience before you graduate. How is this possible? When your department organises a FUN TRIP please endeavour to attend if you don't have money go and borrow. Are You going there to have fun? No but it is an avenue for you to gain international work experience. Before the trip, browse any local agency or NGO around that part of the country where you guys will reside temporarily, volunteer to work with agency or NGO even if it is just for 5days....you can keep in touch with them later online. This is where your CV begins.... you will continually update your CV with the activities of the organisation even you didn't participate actively you are part of them at the end you can claim a 1 or 2 years Volunteering with them....(you have a foreign experience; even if it's Togo)

2 Strive to finish with a good grade. No matter the opposition a (1.1) is good but if you can get it, don't let the (2.1) slip away. Study like your life depends on it (of course it does), avoid distractions as much as possible. Study smart if the discipline doesn't interest you and you are hoping to seek another career path please read just to pass the exams with flying colours. (Study with past questions even when exam is not around the corner cram as much as possible; I knew I won't be a good fish farmer hence from day one I started cramming...the earlier the better)

3. Ensure you get a good internship position in a structured environment. This might be difficult but like I said you have to be DETERMINED "In Kanu's voice". There are organisations that I know that have internship slots almost all through the year...(SCB, P&G, KPMG, Oil and Gas etc). Don't wait until you graduate before you start hunting internship positions. Use your long vacations and SIWESfor internship not roaming about. If you successful spend 2-3 months on internship, in a structured environment, that is another 1 year work experience... tongue...We add that to our CV.....How do we get internship positions? Envisage when your long vacation will probably fall, start applying 2 months before that period. Send both Soft and Hard copies. Send the hard copy through courier services or Nipost. (I still use Nipost... cheesy,..yeah! go to the post office use it. That is why your parents are paying taxes. You can list all the addresses of companies you want take them to nipost and start sending as many times as you wish....it is far cheaper) This way your application goes to the Hr unit and the appropriate person is viewing it. You might be lucky and get a call.

4. Learn a foreign Language. If you have like minds around 4 or 5 of you can tax yourselves raise a small amount of money (5-20k) hire a french teacher from one of the secondary schools around ( I got a diploma while serving and it's really giving me an edge at the office). Take it with passion. Or you can wait, while serving enrol for a french course and get a diploma. Bottom line, Ensure you learn french before pulling the khaki.

5. Participate in school activities. Join an NGO, or the Sport club (football, tennis, volley ball etc), quiz club etc....also join any reasonable association (state association etc)...Why are we joining? You are joining not because you love to (although it depends on the individual) undecided, but because we need the leadership experience so Ensure you become an exco preferably the president. Even if it's a church activity. Now that is a section in our CV building. Ensure you get involved in at least 4 groups hold leadership position in at least two. Get the certificates and document properly.

6 Try to win a scholarship no matter how paltry the sum is. Even if it is baba ijebu scholarship. Registered or unregistered. At least get MTN scholarship (it's easier compared to shell et al) ....We will also incude this in our CV building....

7. If you are in a non numerate discipline you can register for the ATS stuff. ATS 1 & 2, is ok just to sharpen your business skill and get you familiar with business terms and basic management principles. (I got 1,2 and 3) while still in school or you get a software certification depends on your interest.....This will also be in your CV...

8. Finally, while serving ensure you get as many certification as possible no matter how useless the certification seems....Nim, HSE, pmp, Customer service....everything just ensure you get as much as possible.....(i used poly bag to carry my certification after Nysc undecided)..pls just select some and include in your CV...if you put all, your may enter the 5th page lool...

With this CV you can apply to almost any international graduate programme. You can come to us ********, Mckinsey, SCB, you can go to the oil and gas, Heineken, IBM, BAT, Ericsson, Telecomms These are some of the places that can reward your hard work appropriately....before you start eyeing IMF, World Bank,Microsoft, Google, AFDB, UN, CBN et al.....

Now with all these imagine if an interviewer should ask you tell me about yourself?....he/she will be amazed....

Vinmayo, I don't know if you are still in school? this is how best I think I can Advise....!!!!

Thanks Marxxx. This is an eye opener for me especially. I'm a serving Corp member and while in school I was able to do some of the things you mentioned above. Immediately I graduated from school, I applied for a graduate internship vacancy at McKinsey while awaiting NYSC. I was qualified until the fourth stage where I was dropped during the recruitment process.
Working in any Fortune 500 company in the world isn't a joking matter seriously and I've got great respect for those who have made it through.
I want to achieve alot of things during this period of my service year but I require some amount of guidance and wouldn't mind ur assistance. U can help by viewing my Cv for a start and suggesting to me things I should add or remove. Kindly send me a mail via anne.ojumu@gmail.com
Thanks

3 Likes

Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by temiprinciple(m): 10:55am On Feb 12, 2016
this is a lovely write up, may God continue to strengthen u, in some months now I will be a graduate, pls can u send me format for written CV and also can u tell me NGO in ekiti state? send me on temitopeprinciple@yahoo.com
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by ogunsinamayowa(m): 6:51pm On Feb 12, 2016
Marxxx:

Thanks for this. God bless you sir.

1 Like

Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by olaisababs(m): 7:29am On Feb 13, 2016
You're so on point. Had all these in mind though it wasn't structured like this. I'm in my finals too,currently on a 2.1. I'm finishing next month and I've been trying all my best to get an internship position which I'd love to start work immediately after my final paper early April because mobilization for service takes about a year in this University. I feel there's no time to waste time at all. Probably, I need anyone that can suggest companies or organizations I can forward my details to. @Marxxx, God bless you abundantly.
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by jamanuka: 11:26am On Feb 13, 2016
olaisababs:
You're so on point. Had all these in mind though it wasn't structured like this. I'm in my finals too,currently on a 2.1. I'm finishing next month and I've been trying all my best to get an internship position which I'd love to start work immediately after my final paper early April because mobilization for service takes about a year in this University. I feel there's no time to waste time at all. Probably, I need anyone that can suggest companies or organizations I can forward my details to. @Marxxx, God bless you abundantly.

You can check this out http://www.myjobmag.com/readjob/22201/jobs/2016-graduate-trainee-program-at-accenture
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by Gerrard59(m): 1:28pm On Feb 13, 2016
olaisababs:

Start Google-ing about companies in your line of discipline. Small, medium big sized any one. Even if it needs you to leave your current place, you leave. Stay informed, because at this stage information is power. New media or old media format, all join.
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by olaisababs(m): 2:17am On Feb 17, 2016
jamanuka:

You can check this out http://www.myjobmag.com/readjob/22201/jobs/2016-graduate-trainee-program-at-accenture
Thanks a lot ! I've been trying to apply actually, their internal server is usually a problem. Do yu know anyone who has completed the application online? Once again, thanks a lot.
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by olaisababs(m): 2:18am On Feb 17, 2016
Gerrard59:

Start Google-ing about companies in your line of discipline. Small, medium big sized any one. Even if it needs you to leave your current place, you leave. Stay informed, because at this stage information is power. New media or old media format, all join.
That's the spirit. God bless you. I'm on it already, may God give us victory. smiley
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by sodiquisty(m): 11:46am On Feb 17, 2016
how do i make best out of this am a 200l biochemistry but neva been involve in any internship programme
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by Icon4(m): 12:12pm On Feb 17, 2016
tnks broh
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by olaisababs(m): 1:55pm On Feb 17, 2016
sodiquisty:
how do i make best out of this am a 200l biochemistry but neva been involve in any internship programme

It all depends on what you want.Try as much as possible to make and maintain good grades in school. You can make judicious use of yur break in school by enrolling for internship/training at relevant organizations around where you stay.Such organizations should be relevant to your field of study. Mind yu, you may not be paid. Like someone said earlier, yu can google such organizations.All the best!

1 Like

Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by Marxxx: 8:17pm On Apr 06, 2016
Oooh So many questions raised...I am sorry I did not help out. I have been busy. I can see some smart guys helping out, you guys are doing a great job.

2 Likes

Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by TheAsegun(m): 12:07am On Apr 11, 2016
Gerrard59:

sent series of private messages to you. but none was acknowledged. kindly drop a mail to itzlabode@outlook.com .its important.
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by Gerrard59(m): 10:46am On Apr 11, 2016
TheAsegun:

sent series of private messages to you. but none was acknowledged. kindly drop a mail to itzlabode@outlook.com .its important.

Apologies. I will acknowledge it later.
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by ftai: 6:12pm On Apr 24, 2016
Good day my Maxx.
Please sir i just completed my NYSC program and i need serious advice and update from you ( career wise ).
My email is
fatai2ibrahim@gmail.com
Thanks
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by lilreese: 6:55am On Apr 25, 2016
Good experience
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by TheEvilPriest(m): 7:02am On Apr 25, 2016
Ok
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by kobonaire(m): 7:07am On Apr 25, 2016
Excellent write up OP
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by Alabitrends01: 7:23am On Apr 25, 2016
for better traveling, internationally while in school. just join AIESEC

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Make Bathing Soap [bar: Antisceptic & Medicated] / Dana Pharmaceutical Workers In Minna Protest Over Poor Working Conditions (Pics) / Choosing To Stay And Lobby For A Federal Job Or Travel Abroad For Studies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.