Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,200 members, 7,953,741 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 02:15 AM

How To Build An International Career...step by step approach - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Build An International Career...step by step approach (15219 Views)

How To Look For Another Job Without Your Boss Finding Out ( Step-by-step Method) / Start Your International Career With Easy Pass International / Opportunity To Create An International Career Is Here: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by iamlimitless: 7:26am On Apr 25, 2016
Another good thing you can add to all this is Paper Presentation in various Conference by organizations related to your course. You can search online for any conference organized by a NGO or Government Agency that is related to your course i.e any NSE conference for engineering students.
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by MrHackmed1(m): 8:15am On Apr 25, 2016
Sorry...you forgot to add "prayer"... angry

1 Like

Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by Meklex(m): 8:17am On Apr 25, 2016
I am currently serving Nigeria (through their NYSC scheme) and I don't even know the career path to follow afterwards. I graduated with 2:1, studied Marketing and I've not even written my CV.
Please I will appreciate all the help I can get.
Meklex1@gmail.com
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by abbeyman1798: 8:25am On Apr 25, 2016
gossipgirlie:

I don't have much experience.I studied history and international studies.I love helping people alot,don't like seeing people in pain.This thread has rekindled my interest.I'd like to volunteer and i have the prefect place in mind though I'm still in favour market.Thanks.
I will recommend you to join a local NGO to participate in local activities. This will go a long way to shape your career bro. You can join Slum Achievers Foundation on www.slumachieversfoundation.org . They deal with children (Educationally) in the slum areas in Africa and they are based in Lagos. I am Part of them. http://slumachieversfoundation.org/blog/top-ten-reasons-be-volunteer. All the best. grin grin shocked cool cool
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by free37: 8:44am On Apr 25, 2016
Nice.
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by horladmejy(m): 9:04am On Apr 25, 2016
nice one Op
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by Lisaint(m): 9:06am On Apr 25, 2016
Thanks alot for dis writeup

Am a geography and planning science student

100lv to be precise

Is dere any internship tranning for geography/planning science??

Is dere any professional course dat I can start pursuing at dis intial stage??

Also my discipline is considered not to be an hot cake in Nigeria...how can I boost up myself before getting to d labour market

Thanks
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by horladmejy(m): 9:09am On Apr 25, 2016
nice
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by DanielGb(m): 9:22am On Apr 25, 2016
thank you @OP.

I still have the passion to learn French. I have always see my self going international. funny enough, I was thought simple part of French in sec. school but was too sturborn to listen anyway. As God will do it: I finish in Poly with a v.good grade. thanks to those who He use to better my life. Currently in University(almost tru) with a good grade. I am a member of some social groups. was made the drama cord for my Student Campus Fellowship. Travelling up and down. thinking ahead. This open my eyes to leadership. I swear. Have don Marketing and Sales during my I.T. days. I was made an asst. marketing group head. I believe what u said, infact I just passed a professional exam.

May God Bless Our Hustle

1 Like

Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by Peterpan222(m): 9:45am On Apr 25, 2016
Weldone Marxxxx.....Kudos!

I'm an aspiring student seeking to enter a Nigerian University via Direct Entry.

I just completed my OND in the Engineering filed - precisely Petroleum Engineering. Now, I want to seek for an admission in the university via Direct Entry and switch over to a Science course - Either Geophysics or Industrial Chemistry or Pure Chemistry.

I believe this your write up will serve as a weiger for me, but will still like to hear your say on these questions below:

Q1. What is your say about me switching from Engineering to Science?

Q2. The labor market today - which of the above listed courses is most sweetable to fit into the Nigerian Labor market easily?

Thank you very much as u attempt the above questions. Please any other person in the house can also help me out.

Thanks and God bless
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by blaze612(m): 11:12am On Apr 25, 2016
Alabitrends01:
for better traveling, internationally while in school. just join AIESEC
How can one join AIESEC
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by Alabitrends01: 11:38am On Apr 25, 2016
blaze612:
How can one join AIESEC

most higher institutions have aisec. just like rotaract and among others. u can seek for enquiry in ur school if Thiers any. cos its really fun
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by Nobody: 12:28pm On Apr 25, 2016
Marxxx:
As an undergraduate there are so many things going through your mind, you read about the economy and the frequent lose of job, mass sacking and all that then you tell yourself "I can't kill myself" the yoruba's have a funky way of saying it.
Let me tell you even at the height of US economic recession, when the manufacturing sector was at its nadir of misery, firms were still hiring so don't panic.
Building an International career requires discipline and determination. Your course of study doesn't matter much but a numerate discipline will always give you an edge. Let's see how we can build an International career from the scratch

1. Get a foreign work experience before you graduate. How is this possible? When your department organises a FUN TRIP please endeavour to attend if you don't have money go and borrow. Are You going there to have fun? No but it is an avenue for you to gain international work experience. Before the trip, browse any local agency or NGO around that part of the country where you guys will reside temporarily, volunteer to work with agency or NGO even if it is just for 5days....you can keep in touch with them later online. This is where your CV begins.... you will continually update your CV with the activities of the organisation even you didn't participate actively you are part of them at the end you can claim a 1 or 2 years Volunteering with them....(you have a foreign experience; even if it's Togo)

2 Strive to finish with a good grade. No matter the opposition a (1.1) is good but if you can get it, don't let the (2.1) slip away. Study like your life depends on it (of course it does), avoid distractions as much as possible. Study smart if the discipline doesn't interest you and you are hoping to seek another career path please read just to pass the exams with flying colours. (Study with past questions even when exam is not around the corner cram as much as possible; I knew I won't be a good fish farmer hence from day one I started cramming...the earlier the better)

3. Ensure you get a good internship position in a structured environment. This might be difficult but like I said you have to be DETERMINED "In Kanu's voice". There are organisations that I know that have internship slots almost all through the year...(SCB, P&G, KPMG, Oil and Gas etc). Don't wait until you graduate before you start hunting internship positions. Use your long vacations and SIWESfor internship not roaming about. If you successful spend 2-3 months on internship, in a structured environment, that is another 1 year work experience... tongue...We add that to our CV.....How do we get internship positions? Envisage when your long vacation will probably fall, start applying 2 months before that period. Send both Soft and Hard copies. Send the hard copy through courier services or Nipost. (I still use Nipost... cheesy,..yeah! go to the post office use it. That is why your parents are paying taxes. You can list all the addresses of companies you want take them to nipost and start sending as many times as you wish....it is far cheaper) This way your application goes to the Hr unit and the appropriate person is viewing it. You might be lucky and get a call.

4. Learn a foreign Language. If you have like minds around 4 or 5 of you can tax yourselves raise a small amount of money (5-20k) hire a french teacher from one of the secondary schools around ( I got a diploma while serving and it's really giving me an edge at the office). Take it with passion. Or you can wait, while serving enrol for a french course and get a diploma. Bottom line, Ensure you learn french before pulling the khaki.

5. Participate in school activities. Join an NGO, or the Sport club (football, tennis, volley ball etc), quiz club etc....also join any reasonable association (state association etc)...Why are we joining? You are joining not because you love to (although it depends on the individual) undecided, but because we need the leadership experience so Ensure you become an exco preferably the president. Even if it's a church activity. Now that is a section in our CV building. Ensure you get involved in at least 4 groups hold leadership position in at least two. Get the certificates and document properly.

6 Try to win a scholarship no matter how paltry the sum is. Even if it is baba ijebu scholarship. Registered or unregistered. At least get MTN scholarship (it's easier compared to shell et al) ....We will also incude this in our CV building....

7. If you are in a non numerate discipline you can register for the ATS stuff. ATS 1 & 2, is ok just to sharpen your business skill and get you familiar with business terms and basic management principles. (I got 1,2 and 3) while still in school or you get a software certification depends on your interest.....This will also be in your CV...

8. Finally, while serving ensure you get as many certification as possible no matter how useless the certification seems....Nim, HSE, pmp, Customer service....everything just ensure you get as much as possible.....(i used poly bag to carry my certification after Nysc undecided)..pls just select some and include in your CV...if you put all, your may enter the 5th page lool...

With this CV you can apply to almost any international graduate programme. You can come to us ********, Mckinsey, SCB, you can go to the oil and gas, Heineken, IBM, BAT, Ericsson, Telecomms These are some of the places that can reward your hard work appropriately....before you start eyeing IMF, World Bank,Microsoft, Google, AFDB, UN, CBN et al.....

Now with all these imagine if an interviewer should ask you tell me about yourself?....he/she will be amazed....

Vinmayo, I don't know if you are still in school? this is how best I think I can Advise....!!!!

Cc: Davide470

In Nigeria of today, this does not carry water. All that matters is knowing someone. How many Northerners have done all these you've written above and yet they get all the juicy jobs just by knowing someone. The most important thing is go to school, get good grades (this is relative), keep your self busy even if it's a teaching job till you get somewhere better, upgrade your qualifications while praying to God to hook you up divinely to a position that will change your story.

1 Like

Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by Nobody: 12:28pm On Apr 25, 2016
Marxxx:
As an undergraduate there are so many things going through your mind, you read about the economy and the frequent lose of job, mass sacking and all that then you tell yourself "I can't kill myself" the yoruba's have a funky way of saying it.
Let me tell you even at the height of US economic recession, when the manufacturing sector was at its nadir of misery, firms were still hiring so don't panic.
Building an International career requires discipline and determination. Your course of study doesn't matter much but a numerate discipline will always give you an edge. Let's see how we can build an International career from the scratch

1. Get a foreign work experience before you graduate. How is this possible? When your department organises a FUN TRIP please endeavour to attend if you don't have money go and borrow. Are You going there to have fun? No but it is an avenue for you to gain international work experience. Before the trip, browse any local agency or NGO around that part of the country where you guys will reside temporarily, volunteer to work with agency or NGO even if it is just for 5days....you can keep in touch with them later online. This is where your CV begins.... you will continually update your CV with the activities of the organisation even you didn't participate actively you are part of them at the end you can claim a 1 or 2 years Volunteering with them....(you have a foreign experience; even if it's Togo)

2 Strive to finish with a good grade. No matter the opposition a (1.1) is good but if you can get it, don't let the (2.1) slip away. Study like your life depends on it (of course it does), avoid distractions as much as possible. Study smart if the discipline doesn't interest you and you are hoping to seek another career path please read just to pass the exams with flying colours. (Study with past questions even when exam is not around the corner cram as much as possible; I knew I won't be a good fish farmer hence from day one I started cramming...the earlier the better)

3. Ensure you get a good internship position in a structured environment. This might be difficult but like I said you have to be DETERMINED "In Kanu's voice". There are organisations that I know that have internship slots almost all through the year...(SCB, P&G, KPMG, Oil and Gas etc). Don't wait until you graduate before you start hunting internship positions. Use your long vacations and SIWESfor internship not roaming about. If you successful spend 2-3 months on internship, in a structured environment, that is another 1 year work experience... tongue...We add that to our CV.....How do we get internship positions? Envisage when your long vacation will probably fall, start applying 2 months before that period. Send both Soft and Hard copies. Send the hard copy through courier services or Nipost. (I still use Nipost... cheesy,..yeah! go to the post office use it. That is why your parents are paying taxes. You can list all the addresses of companies you want take them to nipost and start sending as many times as you wish....it is far cheaper) This way your application goes to the Hr unit and the appropriate person is viewing it. You might be lucky and get a call.

4. Learn a foreign Language. If you have like minds around 4 or 5 of you can tax yourselves raise a small amount of money (5-20k) hire a french teacher from one of the secondary schools around ( I got a diploma while serving and it's really giving me an edge at the office). Take it with passion. Or you can wait, while serving enrol for a french course and get a diploma. Bottom line, Ensure you learn french before pulling the khaki.

5. Participate in school activities. Join an NGO, or the Sport club (football, tennis, volley ball etc), quiz club etc....also join any reasonable association (state association etc)...Why are we joining? You are joining not because you love to (although it depends on the individual) undecided, but because we need the leadership experience so Ensure you become an exco preferably the president. Even if it's a church activity. Now that is a section in our CV building. Ensure you get involved in at least 4 groups hold leadership position in at least two. Get the certificates and document properly.

6 Try to win a scholarship no matter how paltry the sum is. Even if it is baba ijebu scholarship. Registered or unregistered. At least get MTN scholarship (it's easier compared to shell et al) ....We will also incude this in our CV building....

7. If you are in a non numerate discipline you can register for the ATS stuff. ATS 1 & 2, is ok just to sharpen your business skill and get you familiar with business terms and basic management principles. (I got 1,2 and 3) while still in school or you get a software certification depends on your interest.....This will also be in your CV...

8. Finally, while serving ensure you get as many certification as possible no matter how useless the certification seems....Nim, HSE, pmp, Customer service....everything just ensure you get as much as possible.....(i used poly bag to carry my certification after Nysc undecided)..pls just select some and include in your CV...if you put all, your may enter the 5th page lool...

With this CV you can apply to almost any international graduate programme. You can come to us ********, Mckinsey, SCB, you can go to the oil and gas, Heineken, IBM, BAT, Ericsson, Telecomms These are some of the places that can reward your hard work appropriately....before you start eyeing IMF, World Bank,Microsoft, Google, AFDB, UN, CBN et al.....

Now with all these imagine if an interviewer should ask you tell me about yourself?....he/she will be amazed....

Vinmayo, I don't know if you are still in school? this is how best I think I can Advise....!!!!

To me this does not carry water. All that matters is knowing someone. How many Northerners have done all these you've written above and yet they get all the juicy jobs just by knowing someone. The most important thing is go to school, get good grades (this is relative), keep your self busy even if it's a teaching job till you get somewhere better, upgrade your qualifications while praying to God to hook you up divinely to a position that will change your story.
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by blaze612(m): 1:31pm On Apr 25, 2016
Alabitrends01:

most higher institutions have aisec. just like rotaract and among others. u can seek for enquiry in ur school if Thiers any. cos its really fun
I have graduated, and my school don't have such thing,(Anambra state uni). How can i join now am on my own.
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by brixton: 4:50pm On Apr 25, 2016
Booked
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by GreatManBee: 6:21pm On Apr 25, 2016
Marxxx:

Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by Orioner(m): 11:00pm On Apr 25, 2016
blaze612:
I have graduated, and my school don't have such thing,(Anambra state uni). How can i join now am on my own.

Go to internships.aiesec.org
or
opportunities. aiesec.org

follow the link provided

All the best
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by superstr: 11:41pm On Apr 25, 2016
You can also read: 38 career tips you must know if you want to be successful in life on www.careerlinko.com
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by Marxxx: 6:55pm On May 15, 2016
Peterpan222:
Weldone Marxxxx.....Kudos!

I'm an aspiring student seeking to enter a Nigerian University via Direct Entry.

I just completed my OND in the Engineering filed - precisely Petroleum Engineering. Now, I want to seek for an admission in the university via Direct Entry and switch over to a Science course - Either Geophysics or Industrial Chemistry or Pure Chemistry.

I believe this your write up will serve as a weiger for me, but will still like to hear your say on these questions below:

Q1. What is your say about me switching from Engineering to Science?

Q2. The labor market today - which of the above listed courses is most sweetable to fit into the Nigerian Labor market easily?

Thank you very much as u attempt the above questions. Please any other person in the house can also help me out.

Thanks and God bless

I don't know if my response is coming in late but please do not switch to science I beg you. Rather continue with Mechanical Engineering. Petroleum is too narrow...A mechanical engineer will perform well in the oil sector as well as the manufacturing sector. Even slumberger will accept you just like a petroleum graduate. But you will not attract manufacturing firms like PG, coca cola, FrieslandCampina etc if you are a petrol major...I hope you get it...Sciences is a no go area...
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by ericanex(f): 7:24pm On May 15, 2016
Marxxx:
I don't know if my response is coming in late but please do not
switch to science I beg you. Rather continue with Mechanical Engineering. Petroleum is too narrow...A mechanical engineer will perform well in the oil sector as well as the manufacturing sector. Even slumberger will accept you just like a petroleum graduate. But you will not attract manufacturing firms like PG, coca cola, FrieslandCampina etc if you are a petrol major...I hope you get it...Sciences is a no go area...
so in terms of mechanical and chemical engineering which is preferable?
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by Gerrard59(m): 7:30pm On May 15, 2016
Marxxx:
I don't know if my response is coming in late but please do not switch to science I beg you. Rather continue with Mechanical Engineering. Petroleum is too narrow...A mechanical engineer will perform well in the oil sector as well as the manufacturing sector. Even slumberger will accept you just like a petroleum graduate. But you will not attract manufacturing firms like PG, coca cola, FrieslandCampina etc if you are a petrol major...I hope you get it...[/b]Sciences is a no go area[b]...

I might be ignorant, but why? @bolded.

ericanex:

Chemical. Anytime anyday. It's excessively broad.
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by SlimHan(f): 8:02pm On May 15, 2016
Nice write ups @marxxx. Am asking for permission to post this on my blog www.farjetbest. ( its a site basically meant for students and I feel your write up would be of help to those still in school.) Don't worry, I dnt intend to steal your post as neccessary recognition would be done. Thanks in anticipation to your reply. Pls you can visit the blog and give your advise and suggestions on development. Thanks once again sir
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by Marxxx: 11:14pm On May 15, 2016
ericanex:

they are both fantastic but go for mechanical engineering. If you ever have to choose between them. Mechanical gives you more chances of being hired. In the manufacturing and oil services both are needed. Recently you will discover there are car assemblage factories springing up in Nigeria you may not need a chemical engineer in such field....i hope you get the logic
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by Marxxx: 11:19pm On May 15, 2016
Gerrard59:

I might be ignorant, but why? @bolded.

Chemical. Anytime anyday. It's excessively broad.
Looking at the situation it is not advisable to switch. Engineering gives you more chances of being hired...sciences is also cool...but the market is not too favourable for pure sciences. Chemical Engineering is great but we are looking at chances of being hired...
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by Marxxx: 11:22pm On May 15, 2016
SlimHan:
Nice write ups @marxxx. Am asking for permission to post this on my blog www.farjetbest. ( its a site basically meant for students and I feel your write up would be of help to those still in school.) Don't worry, I dnt intend to steal your post as neccessary recognition would be done. Thanks in anticipation to your reply. Pls you can visit the blog and give your advise and suggestions on development. Thanks once again sir
You are free don't bother about recognition. It's yours now just share...How is the blogging business? I can see you are en entrepreneur ryt? You are the real you
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by SlimHan(f): 1:25am On May 16, 2016
Marxxx:
You are free don't bother about recognition. It's yours now just share...How is the blogging business? I can see you are en entrepreneur ryt? You are the real you
woooow. Am really greatful for this. Well blogging business is not an easy thing. Am not seeing it as a business sha. I just want to help in creating awareness for Nigeria students about things they need to know and to also develop myself hence blogging. Yes, you are right. Am an entepreneur and still want to further my education cos I want to go international too cheesy Thanks once again. God bless you

1 Like

Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by ajosegabriel(m): 1:24pm On May 16, 2016
Mr Marxxx, i would be very happy if you can enlighten me better..im a student of Unibadan currently studying sociology.im aware of the rotaract club but not yet a member... sir, what kind of internship or ngo do you think can be helpful to my career?? Won't mind if answers comes from others too...thanks in advance...
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by chaiks: 6:32am On Jun 04, 2016
This thread is an educative one. Wish I found it earlier on. I studied history and international studies and I v completed my NYSC. Please are there local NGOs in anambra or any rural Africa where I can intern even if they pay peanut or nothing? i learnt volunteering can upgrade ones chances of getting a masters scholarship abroad. Please forumites, help me you know any ngo willing to accept me for intern. I can volunteer in areas like environmental issues, gender and sustainable development, hiv/aids, poverty eradication, fundraising, or any community development related field.
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by Marxxx: 11:50am On Jun 21, 2016
MrHackmed1:
Sorry...you forgot to add "prayer"... angry
The truth is most people do not understand the concept of prayer...subconsciously everyone prays...
Re: How To Build An International Career...step by step approach by Nobody: 11:04pm On Jul 08, 2016
Marxxx:
The truth is most people do not understand the concept of prayer...subconsciously everyone prays...

Marxx, are you partial to private messages?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Leaving A Toxic Boss/work For Unknown Skill. / 5 Things To Do Before You Quit The Job You Hate / 11 Things That Will Make You A Superstar Employee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.