Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,584 members, 7,837,199 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:51 PM

Why I Didn't Go To The University: Comedian I Go Dye Reveals - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Why I Didn't Go To The University: Comedian I Go Dye Reveals (759 Views)

Comedian I Go Dye Shades Fayose Over Tear Gas Incident / Tekno: "I Didn't Go To School But Have Millions" (Video) / 'Who Are The Real Herdsmen?': Comedian I Go Dye Calls Out Powers That Be (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Didn't Go To The University: Comedian I Go Dye Reveals by Kenneth10110(m): 11:04pm On Feb 04, 2016
Nigerian comedian Francis Agoda more popularly referred to as I Go Dye has revealed that he once turned down an offer to go abroad for studies.
In an exclusive chat with Punch, the comedian said he once had an opportunity to go study Structural Engineering at the University of New York but he turned it down.
He joked about it saying he probably could have died if he had followed that path.
He said: “I probably could have died by now if I decided to become a Structural Engineer .”
He shed some light on his past saying he was once part of the Junior Engineering Technical Society which helped him express himself in aspects of creativity.
In those early years, as young as 12, he claimed he used the chance the engineering group gave him to build little gadgets and machines like a radio transmitter, a hovercraft, a mini helicopter and a battery table fan among other things.
These ingenuity helped him secure a scholarship to travel abroad in 1992, a move he refused to pursue.
But the entertainer said he chose comedy over a formal education because of the fulfillment he draws from it.
He said: “Academic pursuit depends on personal interest. I am still acquiring knowledge on a daily basis. There is no limit to educational quest. The truth of the matter is that life is a choice. Until you do things you love, you cannot really be happy. Those things I built at the time are still part of my life today. But I chose comedy because that is where my love lies.
“I started building things at the young age of about 12. At a point, I was no longer really comfortable with that path of life.”
He also talked about leaving the village to the city in search of greener pastures and how to better the lives of his family members.
This was the point where he took up comedy and developed the craft.
He said: “When I left the village and came to the city, I imagined how to make life easier for my people. At a point, I realised that my heart was in comedy and decided to tow that path.
“When I declined that scholarship, I had started becoming interested in having an impact on the lives of people. When I left the village, and got to the city, Comedy became a platform through which I could give hope to people. I am happy with the choice I made.
“I have now spent 20 years on stage. I was first featured on A Night of a Thousand Laugh in 2000 and I started doing variety shows when I was in Class Three in the secondary school. People only know you when you become successful. They don’t really know the roads you passed through until you tell stories like this.”

Re: Why I Didn't Go To The University: Comedian I Go Dye Reveals by Kenneth10110(m): 11:07pm On Feb 04, 2016
Re: Why I Didn't Go To The University: Comedian I Go Dye Reveals by khristals(m): 11:16pm On Feb 04, 2016
eiya, just when the witches in your village thought they had pushed you away from your destiny..
Re: Why I Didn't Go To The University: Comedian I Go Dye Reveals by yaqq: 11:20pm On Feb 04, 2016
Agoda "I go die"
Re: Why I Didn't Go To The University: Comedian I Go Dye Reveals by Chanchit: 11:23pm On Feb 04, 2016
I would love to know the real reason he didn't take the scholarship cos his reason no hold water. For his kinda background, its impossible to turn down such offer.
Re: Why I Didn't Go To The University: Comedian I Go Dye Reveals by Smellymouth: 11:25pm On Feb 04, 2016
Thank God u didn't..

Jobless graduates everywhere undecided
Re: Why I Didn't Go To The University: Comedian I Go Dye Reveals by Chicagoesontop: 11:45pm On Feb 04, 2016
Kenneth10110:
Nigerian comedian Francis Agoda more popularly referred to as I Go Dye has revealed that he once turned down an offer to go abroad for studies.
In an exclusive chat with Punch, the comedian said he once had an opportunity to go study Structural Engineering at the University of New York but he turned it down.
He joked about it saying he probably could have died if he had followed that path.
He said: “I probably could have died by now if I decided to become a Structural Engineer .”
He shed some light on his past saying he was once part of the Junior Engineering Technical Society which helped him express himself in aspects of creativity.
In those early years, as young as 12, he claimed he used the chance the engineering group gave him to build little gadgets and machines like a radio transmitter, a hovercraft, a mini helicopter and a battery table fan among other things.
These ingenuity helped him secure a scholarship to travel abroad in 1992, a move he refused to pursue.
But the entertainer said he chose comedy over a formal education because of the fulfillment he draws from it.
He said: “Academic pursuit depends on personal interest. I am still acquiring knowledge on a daily basis. There is no limit to educational quest. The truth of the matter is that life is a choice. Until you do things you love, you cannot really be happy. Those things I built at the time are still part of my life today. But I chose comedy because that is where my love lies.
“I started building things at the young age of about 12. At a point, I was no longer really comfortable with that path of life.”
He also talked about leaving the village to the city in search of greener pastures and how to better the lives of his family members.
This was the point where he took up comedy and developed the craft.
He said: “When I left the village and came to the city, I imagined how to make life easier for my people. At a point, I realised that my heart was in comedy and decided to tow that path.
“When I declined that scholarship, I had started becoming interested in having an impact on the lives of people. When I left the village, and got to the city, Comedy became a platform through which I could give hope to people. I am happy with the choice I made.
“I have now spent 20 years on stage. I was first featured on A Night of a Thousand Laugh in 2000 and I started doing variety shows when I was in Class Three in the secondary school. People only know you when you become successful. They don’t really know the roads you passed through until you tell stories like this.”

Chaiii, Structural Engineer .. You get luck ooo... just thank your GOD because by now you for the fix speakers and microphones where basket mouth, bovi and gordons and others dem dey do show !!
Re: Why I Didn't Go To The University: Comedian I Go Dye Reveals by micfoley: 11:47pm On Feb 04, 2016
Interesting
Re: Why I Didn't Go To The University: Comedian I Go Dye Reveals by Kowalskii(m): 11:59pm On Feb 04, 2016
well to me a Structural Engineer and a Comedian would be a massive combo.
Still one of the best.

(1) (Reply)

History In The Making : The Nigeria Rebirth Project / Celebrity Blogger Noble Igwe Appoints As Brand Ambassador For Casper & Gambini / Tupac’s 1988 Love Letter To High School Crush Sold For $34,000 At Auction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.