Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,199 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:24 AM

New Study Suggests That People Who Don't Drink Alcohol Are Likely To Die Young - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / New Study Suggests That People Who Don't Drink Alcohol Are Likely To Die Young (372 Views)

6 Groups Of People Most Likely To Contract HIV In Nigeria / 5 Types Of People You Are Likely To Meet At A Lagos Gym / Study Suggests That People Who Don't Drink Alcohol Are More Likely To Die Young (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Study Suggests That People Who Don't Drink Alcohol Are Likely To Die Young by EOOJ(m): 5:51pm On Feb 06, 2016
A newly released studyshows that regular drinkers are less likely to die prematurely than people who have never indulged in alcohol. You read that right: Time reportsthat abstaining from alcohol altogether can lead to a shorter life than consistent, moderate drinking.
Surprised? The tightly controlled study, which looked at individuals between ages 55 and 65, spanned a 20-year period and accounted for variables ranging from socioeconomic status to level of physical activity. Led by psychologist Charles Holahan of the University of Texas at Austin, it found that mortality rates were highest for those who had never had a sip, lower for heavy drinkers, and lowest for moderate drinkers who enjoyed one to three drinks per day.
Of the 1,824 study participants, only 41 percent of the moderate drinkers died prematurely compared to a whopping 69 percent of the nondrinkers. Meanwhile, the heavy drinkers fared better than those who abstained, with a 60 percent mortality rate. Despite the increased risks for cirrhosis and several types of cancer, not to mention dependency, accidents, and poor judgment associated with heavy drinking, those who imbibe are less likely to die than people who stay dry.
A possible explanation for this is that alcohol can be a great social lubricant, and strong social networks are essential for maintaining mental and physical health. Nondrinkers have been shown to demonstrate greater signs of depression than their carousing counterparts, and in addition to the potential heart health and circulation benefits of moderate drinking (especially red wine), it also increases sociability.
While it’s always important to drink responsibly, this is one study that warrants raising a glass.

http://www.businessinsider.com/abstaining-from-alcohol-significantly-shortens-life-2013-12
Re: New Study Suggests That People Who Don't Drink Alcohol Are Likely To Die Young by Greatzeus(m): 5:59pm On Feb 06, 2016
And those who drink are likely to die youngest tongue
Re: New Study Suggests That People Who Don't Drink Alcohol Are Likely To Die Young by toyeoye(m): 6:15pm On Feb 06, 2016
what about someone who used to drink heavily but stopped
Re: New Study Suggests That People Who Don't Drink Alcohol Are Likely To Die Young by missKiffy(f): 6:20pm On Feb 06, 2016
It's a big, fat lie
Re: New Study Suggests That People Who Don't Drink Alcohol Are Likely To Die Young by uboma(m): 6:32pm On Feb 06, 2016
missKiffy:
It's a big, fat lie

Lol.

You sound so sure!

@topic, I just had 1 bottle of my usual brand. 3 more bottles to follow tonight.
Re: New Study Suggests That People Who Don't Drink Alcohol Are Likely To Die Young by hopeforcharles(m): 6:40pm On Feb 06, 2016
missKiffy:
It's a big, fat lie
How sure are u that this is a lie, anyway I don't drink, I only drink Amaroula, best and maybe a little Orijin would It be classified as I drink?. My people answer me.

(1) (Reply)

Woman Develops 'buffalo' Hump Back And Arm Lumps After 40 Years Of Drinking / Why You Need To Exercise / Seminar On Hepatitis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.