Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,460 members, 7,830,288 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:14 PM

The Making Of Global Leader In A Time Of Rapid Change - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Making Of Global Leader In A Time Of Rapid Change (628 Views)

Nigerian Man In Ghana Poses With Bundles Of Money: My First Time Of Seeing Money / How To Become A Thought Leader In Your Industry / Tomato Millionaires In The Making... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Making Of Global Leader In A Time Of Rapid Change by zemellive: 8:29pm On Feb 06, 2016
The World Economic Forum conducted an annual “Global Shapers Community Survey” in which more than 1,000 Millennials—a term used specifically for people born between 1977 and 1994, from 125 countries participated in a brainstorming session. Here is one of the main findings of the survey: “the higher your function, the more opportunities you have to make a difference in your community”. Of course since millennials are predominantly people in their 20s and 30s—uppermost in their priorities would be career advancement.
But here is the crux of the matter: what skills are needed to get you to the point where you function at a higher level and then have opportunities to make significant contributions? We have answers below:
People Skills and People Knowledge
The Stanford Research Institute, Harvard University and Carnegie Foundation in a one million dollars study spanning 5 years, proved that 85% of the reason you get a job, will keep that job, and move ahead in that job has to do with people skills and people knowledge. The other 15% is accounted for by technical skills and knowledge. Zig Ziglar intones, “Managing people--starting with yourself, becomes a high priority if we are to become successful.” Moreover, Zoltan Merszel of Occidental Petroleum argues that “people make business--technology is a distant second”.
Open up Options for Yourself with an Education
Peter Vanham, a Global Leadership Fellow at the World Economic Forum, interviewed Andrew Likierman, dean of London Business School, last year and he drew on his personal experience to provide useful insights. Likierman said he studied politics, philosophy and economics in college but that didn’t give him the flexibility he needed to rise to significance. There was a missing link and in the early 70s in Europe, Accounting was exactly what an MBA is today. He adds “Today I would recommend people to get an MBA. The fact that people that graduate from an MBA do so many different things, is an indication of that.”
Learn to Communicate Effectively
Likierman’s also highlighted the importance of effective communication skills as you ascend the rungs of the career ladder. In his opinion, “You can have brilliant ideas, but you cannot do anything with them unless you communicate them well. Early in my career as an accountant, I saw that certain people were really good, better than me, but because they couldn’t communicate well, they didn’t advance in their career.” The importance of effective communication cannot be overemphasized regardless of your profession.
Other skills could be found on:
http://zemellive.com/the-making-of-a-global-leader-in-a-time-of-rapid-change/

(1) (Reply)

Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush For Children (pics) / 33,000 Litres Of PMS Available. / Nigerian Government Agencies: Rejecting The Naira As Legal Tender!,skc Ogbonnia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.