Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,060 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:10 AM

How To Pray In A Distracting World - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How To Pray In A Distracting World (1076 Views)

Muslims Block Road In Victoria Island To Pray, Causing Traffic Jam / Dear Christians, Muslims Only Pray In The Name Of God / Oyedepo & Kumuyi Meet At Abuja Stadium To Pray For Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Pray In A Distracting World by DharmyYinks: 6:37pm On Feb 07, 2016
I remember lying in bed when I was 7 years old praying for everything and everyone. With my chin propped up on my hands, I’d pray for my sisters, parents, uncles, aunts, cousins, grandparents, friends, people from church, people in my town, in my state, in my country and all around the world. I’d even pray for people in heaven and hell. Then I would fall asleep and do it again the next night.

With that kind of childhood prayer life, one might think I grew up to be a passionate prayer warrior who sees God answer my requests in awesome ways.

But the truth is that I’ve sometimes gone weeks without faithfully going to the Lord in personal prayer. My excuses range from being busy to tiredness to a downright lack of self-discipline.
The worst part is, I know I’m not alone.

Paul Miller, author of A Praying Life , writes how America is the worst place in the world for a believer in Christ to cultivate a quality prayer life:
We are so busy that when we slow down to pray, we find it uncomfortable. We prize accomplishments, production. But prayer is nothing but talking to God. It feels useless, as if we are wasting time. Every bone in our bodies screams, “Get to Work.”

So how do we turn to the Lord in prayer when so many other things are pulling at our attention? How do we pray without the anxiety that we are wasting our time?

1. Understand Why We Pray
Prayer is a mysterious gift from God that connects us to our Creator in an intimate way. Jesus constantly sought out quiet places to pray to the Father, most notably on the eve of His crucifixion in Gethsemane. (Mark 14:32-46; John 22:39-49)

We worship a sovereign God, meaning that He is in control of all things. And He invites us to pray for Him to intercede in our lives and the lives of others in the world. We don’t know how He does it—it’s a mystery—but we do know that He responds.

"Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened.” (Matthew 7:7-cool

We pray because we need God to make a difference in our lives.

2. Learn How to Pray
This may sound like a trite point, but Jesus gives us the perfect example of how to pray in the gospels. Not only does he offer the Lord’s Prayer, we see examples of how He prays to the Father. This gives us a window into the heart of God and how we can communicate with Him in our own lives.

Pray then like this:

“Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name.
Your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil." (Matthew 6:9-13)

Heed Jesus' warning to pray humbly and honestly before the Lord. Before telling the disciples how to pray, He said, “When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.” (Matthew 6:5)

3. Pray Constantly
"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.” (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18)

This admonition to the Thessalonians was Paul's way of communicating the importance of daily dependence on the Lord. Many of us only turn to the Lord when we are worried or in trouble. Sometimes we pray out of habit before meals. Other times we pray corporately at church or in small groups. But to leave it there would be a mistake.

We need a daily communion with God, and the only way that will happen is if we understand the importance of prayer and act on it.
Whether you pray on a regular basis or you’re struggling to keep Christ at the center of your life, we can all benefit from a more vibrant prayer life

Source: www.haventoday.org/mobile.php?blog=252.html

lalasticlala

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Pray In A Distracting World by Wenebadu(f): 7:47pm On Feb 07, 2016
Prayer works
Re: How To Pray In A Distracting World by DharmyYinks: 2:45pm On Feb 09, 2016
Wenebadu:
Prayer works
D Master Key!
Re: How To Pray In A Distracting World by PilotDevotional: 2:59pm On Feb 09, 2016
see #The Lost Art of Meditation www.thepilotdevotionals..com
Re: How To Pray In A Distracting World by PilotDevotional: 3:07pm On Feb 09, 2016
see #The Lost Art of Meditation www.thepilotdevotionals..com
Re: How To Pray In A Distracting World by SweetieConstie(f): 1:04am On Feb 10, 2016
Very nice post! Indeed, God is ever-willing to answer us whenever we call upon Him by faith in prayers... JEREMIAH 33:3... Thumbs up DharmyYinks!
Re: How To Pray In A Distracting World by SweetieConstie(f): 8:48pm On Jun 08, 2016
DharmyYinks:
D Master Key!

Sorry, does ur PM work?
Re: How To Pray In A Distracting World by DharmyYinks: 8:50pm On Jun 08, 2016
SweetieConstie:

Sorry, does ur PM work?
Yes it does! U sent a message??
Re: How To Pray In A Distracting World by SweetieConstie(f): 9:24pm On Jun 08, 2016
DharmyYinks:
Yes it does! U sent a message??

Yes actually!
Re: How To Pray In A Distracting World by DharmyYinks: 9:52pm On Jun 08, 2016
SweetieConstie:

Yes actually!
Replied!
Re: How To Pray In A Distracting World by SweetieConstie(f): 5:10pm On Jun 20, 2016
DharmyYinks:
Replied!

DharmyYinksssssssssss!!
Re: How To Pray In A Distracting World by DharmyYinks: 6:20pm On Jun 20, 2016
SweetieConstie:

DharmyY inksssssssssss!!

Yes baby grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: How To Pray In A Distracting World by SweetieConstie(f): 6:40pm On Jun 20, 2016
DharmyYinks:

Yes baby grin cheesy

Lol... I'm fine... grin

Just ermm....
Re: How To Pray In A Distracting World by SweetieConstie(f): 8:30pm On Jun 21, 2016
DharmyYinks

Thank you so much Dami... I did see the vote! I'm very much delighted and grateful...cheesy

grin
Re: How To Pray In A Distracting World by DharmyYinks: 9:11pm On Jun 21, 2016
SweetieConstie:

Thank you so much Dami... I did see the vote! I'm very much delighted and grateful...cheesy

grin
U are welcome cheesy

Hope the 'ish' is settled nd you are back??

1 Like

Re: How To Pray In A Distracting World by SweetieConstie(f): 9:26pm On Jun 21, 2016
DharmyYinks:
U are welcome cheesy

Hope the 'ish' is settled nd you are back??

Yes exactly! grin Thanks for your concern.

You currently online?
Re: How To Pray In A Distracting World by SweetieConstie(f): 8:57am On Jun 25, 2016
.....Sorry for derailing your thread!

(1) (Reply)

Wow!!! What Is Ifa? (must See) / Photos: SA Pastor Commands Young Woman To Sleep Inside Deep Freezer / Any Healing Minister Here?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.