Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,229 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:06 AM

Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition (19875 Views)

NCC Stops MTN From Acquiring Visafone / Col. Umar To Sue MTN Over Fraudulent Deductions / Etisalat Drags MTN To Court Over Visafone Acquisition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by Seequadry(m): 12:24pm On Feb 08, 2016
Joke
Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by cardoctor(m): 12:31pm On Feb 08, 2016
Two elephants want to fight. See me running for cover.
Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by omogidi234(m): 12:32pm On Feb 08, 2016
SmartMugu:
Dear Lord,
2016 is full of legal issues for MTN, I bind any evil spirit that keeps MTN going to court not to notice me this year.
Amen.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Why is it that Nigerians always bring comic relief from every hard situation? In the thread for Bread Seller turned model, the prayer points there can wake the dead, including the 'by fire' prayer.

1 Like

Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by Nobody: 12:41pm On Feb 08, 2016
Like seriously?
Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by Irore: 12:41pm On Feb 08, 2016
Sijo01:
cheesy
If the bid was not made open, how's that the fault of MTN? Visa phone should be blame for that na.

No. Nigerian govt shuld be blamed na.
Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by Handsome4real(m): 12:42pm On Feb 08, 2016
excellencyabia1:
Good. Not that i celebrate peoples down fall but mtn has killed me
Lmao, after they dealt with me I ported to glo immediately porting was enabled.
Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by Mrlekan07034617: 12:47pm On Feb 08, 2016
Lolz etisalat should go and sit down jare..... If they feel pain they should look around for a staggering network and purchase too now.

This is business and its an open atmosphere, the fittest SURVIVES and the WEAK smoke off with time.

1 Like

Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by martineinstein(m): 12:50pm On Feb 08, 2016
This is what they call' anti-competition ' and ' monopoly'. Monopolizing CDMA technology or any other products is an offence in many countries, especially Europe.

1 Like

Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by mamaafrik(m): 12:58pm On Feb 08, 2016
Make dem buy multilinks too now....

1 Like

Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by Lafimo: 1:16pm On Feb 08, 2016
Better days for the LAWYERS...... Make una dey enjoy joooooo.
Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by excellencyabia1: 1:22pm On Feb 08, 2016
Handsome4real:

Lmao, after they dealt with me I ported to glo immediately porting was enabled.
thank God for option if not mtn would have finish us

1 Like

Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by kcplay: 1:40pm On Feb 08, 2016
Is it a crime to be a dominant player in your industry? Is Indomie brand not a dominant player in the noodles industry? Is Always brand not dominant in the sanitary pad industry? Is Dangote cement not a dominant player in the cement industry?

1 Like

Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by shogz89: 1:46pm On Feb 08, 2016
It is not good for any organisation to have too much competitive advantage, we are in Ann hyper competitive situation in the telecommunications sector now where everybody has no clear cut chances over one another which is good for consumers. What mtn is trying to do is called anti competition which will not benefit the masses on the long run..
Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by shogz89: 1:51pm On Feb 08, 2016
kcplay:
Is it a crime to be a dominant player in your industry? Is Indomie brand not a dominant player in the noodles industry? Is Always brand not dominant in the sanitary pad industry? Is Dangote cement not a dominant player in the cement industry?
It's not bad to be dominant, it's bad to have too much dominance, dangote is an indigenous company, all others you mentioned have stronger competitor than what mtn presently has..
Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by hyelhira: 1:56pm On Feb 08, 2016
The owner(s) of Visafone, for whatever reasons, decided to sell and MTN offered them the best bargain. Standard M & A. It's not as if it was a hostile acquisition from what we have read. So what is the crime in that? Would it have been better if Visafone also went under like Multilinks, Starcomms, etc?

martineinstein:
This is what they call' anti-competition ' and ' monopoly'. Monopolizing CDMA technology or any other products is an offence in many countries, especially Europe.

1 Like

Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by hyelhira: 2:04pm On Feb 08, 2016
When MTN was putting solid structures in place to run its business, what were the others look at? Is it now a crime to run your business well? MTN and Airtel started at the same time. In fact, Airtel started first. Was MTN the architect of their numerous corporate governance issues? A lot of Nigerian businessmen/businesses are undisciplined and they still want to reap the same reward as the disciplined entities. If the rewards don't come they start fighting the successful guy. I am talking from experience having been a victim of this.

shogz89:
It's not bad to be dominant, it's bad to have too much dominance, dangote is an indigenous company, all others you mentioned have stronger competitor than what mtn presently has..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by Booyakasha(f): 2:51pm On Feb 08, 2016
Fućking Etisalat!! Dumb skulls... MTN is the best network in Nigeria!!
Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by Akanaz(m): 2:53pm On Feb 08, 2016
Etisalat you rock jare. I salute ur couragious move. Other network providers knew they will be affected by the aquisition but chosed to turn deaf ears. Nawao
Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by shogz89: 2:57pm On Feb 08, 2016
hyelhira:
When MTN was putting solid structures in place to run its business, what were the others look at? Is it now a crime to run your business well? MTN and Airtel started at the same time. In fact, Airtel started first. Was MTN the architect of their numerous corporate governance issues? A lot of Nigerian businessmen/businesses are undisciplined and they still want to reap the same reward as the disciplined entities. If the rewards don't come they start fighting the successful guy. I am talking from experience having been a victim of this.

Guy we are not talking about structures here we are talking about healthy competition, in the UK no company is allowed to have more than 25% control of an industry. You will be the one to bear the burden of monopoly. Dstv will give you an idea of what am saying.
Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by charlsecy(m): 3:21pm On Feb 08, 2016
shogz89:
...in the UK no company is allowed to have more than 25% control of an industry.
I think MTN already has about 50% or even more!
Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by hyelhira: 3:28pm On Feb 08, 2016
Oga, don't talk about what you don't know.

1. The statement that, "... in the UK no company is allowed to have more than 25% control of an industry", is simply not true. British Telecoms, the Post Office and Microsoft are deemed "monopolies" in their own right in the UK and the government has not disallowed them.

2. What governments (the UK government in this case) look out for is usually anti-competition practices. This is specifically covered by the UK Competition Act 1998 which has three (3) main tasks viz:

- prohibiting agreements or practices that restrict free trading and competition between business entities. This includes in particular the repression of cartels.
- banning abusive behaviour by a firm dominating a market, or anti-competitive practices that tend to lead to such a dominant position. Practices controlled in this way may include predatory pricing, tying, price gouging, refusal to deal and many others.
- supervising the mergers and acquisitions of large corporations, including some joint ventures. Transactions that are considered to threaten the competitive process can be prohibited altogether, or approved subject to "remedies" such as an obligation to divest part of the merged business or to offer licences or access to facilities to enable other businesses to continue competing.

[i]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_competition_law

Read more at https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/284428/oft911.pdf

3. If the overnment wanted competition, it should have licensed more telcos at the beginning of deregulation. By your definition, MTN, Econet (Airtel) and MTEL would have been monopolies from the start assuming they all had equal market shares (33.3% each) at the beginning. Is that right?

Thank you.

shogz89:
Guy we are not talking about structures here we are talking about healthy competition, in the UK no company is allowed to have more than 25% control of an industry. You will be the one to bear the burden of monopoly. Dstv will give you an idea of what am saying.

1 Like

Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by OBAGADAFFI: 4:16pm On Feb 08, 2016
Etisalat will also have to sue GLOBACOM, because Glo have the same advantage as a National carrier.

I suggest ETISALAT use that money to improve their network or buy over a CDMA telco.

2 Likes

Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by shogz89: 5:20pm On Feb 08, 2016
hyelhira:
Oga, don't talk about what you don't know.

1. The statement that, "... in the UK no company is allowed to have more than 25% control of an industry", is simply not true. British Telecoms, the Post Office and Microsoft are deemed "monopolies" in their own right in the UK and the government has not disallowed them.

2. What governments (the UK government in this case) look out for is usually anti-competition practices. This is specifically covered by the UK Competition Act 1998 which has three (3) main tasks viz:

- prohibiting agreements or practices that restrict free trading and competition between business entities. This includes in particular the repression of cartels.
- banning abusive behaviour by a firm dominating a market, or anti-competitive practices that tend to lead to such a dominant position. Practices controlled in this way may include predatory pricing, tying, price gouging, refusal to deal and many others.
- supervising the mergers and acquisitions of large corporations, including some joint ventures. Transactions that are considered to threaten the competitive process can be prohibited altogether, or approved subject to "remedies" such as an obligation to divest part of the merged business or to offer licences or access to facilities to enable other businesses to continue competing.

[i]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_competition_law

Read more at https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/284428/oft911.pdf

3. If the overnment wanted competition, it should have licensed more telcos at the beginning of deregulation. By your definition, MTN, Econet (Airtel) and MTEL would have been monopolies from the start assuming they all had equal market shares (33.3% each) at the beginning. Is that right?

Thank you.

Definition of a Monopoly, UK case, Monopolies and Mergers Commission

In the UK, since it is market dominance which poses the threat to competition, (1) a monopoly is deemed to exist when one company controls at least 25% of the market; (2) An investigation by the Monopolies and Mergers Commission can be conducted where two companies together control at least 25% of the market; (3) Mergers resulting of gross assets in excess of �30m or in control of at least 25% of the market can be investigated; (4) The Director General of Fair Trading working from the Office of Fair Trading has responsibility for overseeing competition policy http://www.blacksacademy.net/content/3328.html
dont say what you dont know as well.,... and check your writeup to see the part in bold. Does it not confirm what i said, does is not tell you its the same thing that happened here. if not that we are not in a sane country that deal should not have occured period.

2} it seems yoyu just see a link and you post it without reading,, please go through you second link, i did the reading for you. .. go to mergers and this is what i saw
Mergers
When two businesses merge or form a joint venture, it may
reduce competition. Mergers that could substantially lessen
competition can be prohibited or have certain conditions
imposed.
The OFT is responsible for investigating mergers in the first
instance. If we believe a merger might result in a substantial
lessening of competition, we can refer it to the Competition
Commission for an in-depth inquiry.
Mergers can only be investigated if they meet certain criteria.
Crucially, either the business being taken over must have
a turnover in the UK of at least £70 million, or the merged
entity would have to have a share of 25 per cent or more of
the supply of a particular category of goods or services in a
substantial part of the UK. As a result, many mergers between
smaller businesses are not subject to investigation.

now who is right here?
Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by muba4huss(m): 6:14pm On Feb 08, 2016
Whatever...i stand with glo no matter what....glo dey lash my phone with huge bonus to call, 3gig data at a cheaper rate then what am i still looking for. I hate mtn so much
Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by kkfox(m): 11:43pm On Feb 08, 2016
Etisalat is a Nigerian company (EMTS) with trading in its technical partner's name (Etislat)
Lilimax:
I won't celebrate this cos both are foreign network provider. embarassed
...I will only say something meaningful if this is coming from GLO an indigenous Nigerian company. smiley
Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by mceze(m): 12:06am On Feb 09, 2016
Sijo01:
cheesy
If the bid was not made open, how's that the fault of MTN? Visa phone should be blame for that na.

SCAM! Please run away from such..Guy, you are a scammer
Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by Sijo01(f): 7:07am On Feb 09, 2016
mceze:

SCAM! Please run away from such..Guy, you are a scammer
Did you skip your medications
Re: Etisalat Sues MTN Over Visafone Acquisition by donhils: 2:15pm On Feb 09, 2016
Whether they acquired visaphone or not, Etisalat will not even see mtn's back in years to come. Instead of them to up their game they're here yarning opata.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Regret Spending 40k On This Phone / MTN Begins 4G LTE Internet Services Trial In Nigeria / Why You Should Put Password On Your Phone - Techknowng.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.