Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,014 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:30 AM

Would You Risk Your Life For Another Like This Man? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Would You Risk Your Life For Another Like This Man? (627 Views)

When Was The Scariest Moment Of Your Life? / 2 Things To Check In Your Life, If Things Are Not Going Well / Man Fetches Water With Baskets: How Would You Describe This Man? (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Would You Risk Your Life For Another Like This Man? by Slytee(m): 3:44pm On Feb 08, 2016

There are lots of stories about people who risk there life to save another. The story of William Kyle Carpenter is one of them.

William Kyle Carpenter better known as Kyle Carpenter, was 19 years old when he enlisted in the Marine Corps delayed entry program. In July 2010 at the age of 21 and rank of Lance Corporal, he was deployed to Afghanistan.

November 21st was the day Carpenter would show immense courage in the face of death by staring at his fears right in the face and taking them with faith. Carpenter threw himself on a live enemy grenade to protect the life of fellow marine Lance Corporal Nick Eufrazio.

[img] [/img]
William Kyle Carpenter and his comrade Lance Corporal Nick Eufrazio
Eufrazio whom he tried to save, suffered a traumatic brain injury in the explosion. His skull had to be rebuilt and there was damage to his frontal lobe. Doctors told him he would never speak again but two years after the injury, he is now talking.

As for Carpenter who was the hero of the day, his injuries covered a more extensive range of his body. The explosion left Carpenter with broken bones in his face, a missing right eye, damage to his right arm, shrapnel wounds, a depressed skull fracture that required brain surgery, a collapsed right lung, and the loss of a third of his lower jaw.

This is what Carpenter said after the incedence:

“My body was torn apart by an enemy hand grenade … upon arriving at Camp Bastion, I was labeled P.E.A. — patient expired on arrival. I flat-lined at Walter Reed. The enemy killed me. I came back.”
After spending two and a half years in the hospital and 40 surgeries later, Carpenter’s condition was on the way to recovery.

He was recognized by recieving the Purple Heart Medal, “awarded to members of the armed forces who are wounded by an instrument of war at the hands of the enemy.” He also received the highest military honor in the USA.

Kyle Carpenter receiving Medal of Honor presented to him at the White House by President Obama
On June 19th, Carpenter became the eighth living recipient of the Medal of Honor presented to him at the White House by personally by President Obama. This is awarded to those who showed personal acts of valor above and beyond the call of duty.

Carpenter was just getting started on his journey of recovery five years after the incident. Being a man of honout, he has run marathons in honor of fellow veterans and those who have given their lives for others. He’s gone skydiving and is spending time with family and friends. He was given a second chance at life and he isn’t letting any of it go to waste.

Carpenter enrolled in school at the University of South Carolina for International Studies after retiring as corporal due to his wounds. He has transformed since the accident, not only physically, but with life experiences and moments he gets to cherish after he was so close to death.

Carpenter has become an advocate for wounded servicemen and women, as well as a motivational speaker.

“I’m still here and kicking and, you know, I have all my limbs so you’ll never hear me complain.”
Carpenter continues to live his life to its absolute fullest, and touching lives.

YOU SEE
There are many ways we show bravery and courage. It could be by standing up for yourself or another person or by fighting for what you believe in. Like this young man who showed bravery AND courage by putting his life on the line to save that of a comrade.

Yeah…Some would be saying “its his duty as a marine”

The question is, whatever situation you are in, duty or not, can you knowingly put yourself in a position that could humiliate you, torture you, or even kill you to save another persons life?

Bravely is staring at your fears right in the face and taking them on with the faith that you will come out on top is true courage and bravery.

Read More @[url]SlyteeBlog.Com[/url]
Re: Would You Risk Your Life For Another Like This Man? by Nobody: 5:39am On Feb 09, 2016
Nothing special. Happens a lot in the military, infact so much it's heavily depicted in war films.

(1) (Reply)

Lawyer Dies In Lagos Court While Defending Clients / See How A Trailer Load Of Sand Cut A Fine Car Into Two In Abuja Car Crash (pics) / Photo: How Akin Alabi Gave 1m Naira To Ayodele Dada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.