Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,307 members, 7,954,233 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 03:06 PM

Why Do Yorubas Practice Voodoo? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Yorubas Practice Voodoo? (2992 Views)

Where Do Yorubas Fit In The Middle East? / Why Do Yorubas Not Care? / Do Yorubas And Hausas Do Masqurades Like The Igbos/Ibibios? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Yorubas Practice Voodoo? by thiagocrush: 1:07pm On Feb 09, 2016
I wanna know why yorubas practice voodoo. Even when they are muslims or christains, there is always one juju god they run to for instant help.
Why do the white garment churches and Muslim alfas practise voodoo all in the name of serving God.

Its just a question and I need sincere answers

No bashing please.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Practice Voodoo? by ziccoit: 1:12pm On Feb 09, 2016
Yorubas or wetin I dey hear from una mouth. I've never seen where sorcery is being promoted as in plateau state. Those people abandoned their children to suffer in the name of bewitching.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Practice Voodoo? by thiagocrush: 1:15pm On Feb 09, 2016
Ive noticed in nigeria's Christian community, the easterners (old eastern region) practice christainity in truth and in spirit unlike the yorubas, most times I fear eating anything frm my yoruba friends house or going to white garments on visit because I don't want any spiritual issues.

I just wanna know why in this 21st century some nigerians still practice voodoo knowing fully well that nothing good comes from the devil.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Practice Voodoo? by chynie: 1:22pm On Feb 09, 2016
Is everywhere yoloba, awusa, yebo all practice juju

It was and may still be African religion for some of us

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Practice Voodoo? by thiagocrush: 1:31pm On Feb 09, 2016
chynie:
Is everywhere yoloba, awusa, yebo all practice juju

It was and may still be African religion for some of us

For you and who?

If its a religion on its own why then do some mix christainity and voodoo / muslim and voodoo eg: white garment churches a.k.a celestial church and cerubuim&seraphim / southwest islam.

Hypocrites!!!

Truth be told, It is what I call deceit, when their followers die thinking they worshiped God rather it was the devil they served and sang praises to.

Little wonder the average igboman is well off than a yoruba man

The devil gives ten and take a thousand

Abi y'all agreed when buhari call err one a criminal, nw masturbate on the truth
Re: Why Do Yorubas Practice Voodoo? by georjay(m): 1:32pm On Feb 09, 2016
thiagocrush:
Ive noticed in nigeria's Christian community, the easterners (old eastern region) practice christainity in truth and in spirit unlike the yorubas, most times I fear eating anything frm my yoruba friends house or going to white garments on visit because I don't want any spiritual issues.

I just wanna know why in this 21st century some nigerians still practice voodoo knowing fully well that nothing good comes from the devil.

in truth and spirit
okija shrine and co nko
yeye
everybody practise voodoo
its even worse in some other regions

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Practice Voodoo? by talktimi(m): 1:36pm On Feb 09, 2016
I'm back again after an undeserved and meaningless ban by our favorite nairaland terrorist tongue you know na M***4*

On to the matter, op you're just being mischievous by half or deliberately trying to cause ethnic tensions here.
Voodoo worship is synonymous with ALL traditional African societies especially in the sub Saharan regions. So don't claim

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Practice Voodoo? by thiagocrush: 1:36pm On Feb 09, 2016
georjay:

in truth and spirit
okija shrine and co nko
yeye
everybody practise voodoo
its even worse in some other regions

I disagree, if there are 100 igbos practising voodoo there are 100,000 yorubas practising voodoo it is 1: 1000

We all know the truth, answer my question and stop calling shrine names
Re: Why Do Yorubas Practice Voodoo? by thiagocrush: 1:38pm On Feb 09, 2016
talktimi:
I'm back again after an undeserved and meaningless ban by our favorite nairaland terrorist tongue you know na M***4*

On to the matter, op you're just being mischievous by half or deliberately trying to cause ethnic tensions here.
Voodoo worship is synonymous with ALL traditional African societies especially in the sub Saharan regions. So don't claim

Nope, it is 'more than more' in some regions EG: southwest
Re: Why Do Yorubas Practice Voodoo? by chynie: 1:44pm On Feb 09, 2016
thiagocrush:

For you and who?

If its a religion on its own why then do some mix christainity and voodoo / muslim and voodoo eg: white garment churches a.k.a celestial church and cerubuim&seraphim / southwest islam.

Hypocrites!!!

Truth be told, It is what I call deceit, when their followers die thinking they worshiped God rather it was the devil they served and sang praises to.

Little wonder the average igboman is well off than a yoruba man

The devil gives ten and take a thousand

Abi y'all agreed when buhari call err one a criminal, nw masturbate on the truth

Nna ahu adi gi
i bu ozi onye ara
i schooled in anambra and i saw more juju in Awkwuzu, ntege, Nnadothan i have seen in any yoruba land
a bu m ezigbo nwa afo and am telling you that averagely the yorubas are doing better than we igbos that enrich ourselves through ogwu ego

mara ife unu aju

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Practice Voodoo? by vtsouthpaw(m): 1:47pm On Feb 09, 2016
I don't knw why some people can't see beyond ethnicity in their Opinions!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Practice Voodoo? by thiagocrush: 1:55pm On Feb 09, 2016
chynie:

Nna ahu adi gi
i bu ozi onye ara
i schooled in anambra and i saw more juju in Awkwuzu, ntege, Nnadothan i have seen in any yoruba land
a bu m ezigbo nwa afo and am telling you that averagely the yorubas are doing better than we igbos that enrich ourselves through ogwu ego

mara ife unu aju

I dont agree with you even if you are half correct, my own is do not add christainity and voodoo, it defies the purpose of serving christ jesus, you cannot serve two masters at a time my brother.

I hope you agree with me on this
Re: Why Do Yorubas Practice Voodoo? by chynie: 2:11pm On Feb 09, 2016
thiagocrush:

I dont agree with you even if you are half correct, my own is do not add christainity and voodoo, it defies the purpose of serving christ jesus, you cannot serve two masters at a time my brother.

I hope you agree with me on this

yeah but don't shift it to one tribe, cos even here in the east there are cherubim and Sabbath, and all sorts of white garment churches, some pastors who mix Christ with juju

u just have to pray God give discerning spirit

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Practice Voodoo? by thiagocrush: 2:20pm On Feb 09, 2016
chynie:

yeah but don't shift it to one tribe, cos even here in the east there are cherubim and Sabbath, and all sorts of white garment churches, some pastors who mix Christ with juju

u just have to pray God give discerning spirit

Dont get me wrong, I like the yorubas but I noticed the younger generations visit white garment and it needs to change. Infact 80% of my yoruba friends attend white garments.... Nna we no get 9 lives like cat, na only one.

Im sorry if I made some people angry but do not attend any white garment church, I repeat do not! They are wolves in sheep's clothing.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Practice Voodoo? by chynie: 2:27pm On Feb 09, 2016
thiagocrush:

Dont get me wrong, I like the yorubas but I noticed the younger generations visit white garment and it needs to change. Infact 80% of my yoruba friends attend white garments.... Nna we no get 9 lives like cat, na only one.

Im sorry if I made some people angry but do not attend any white garment church, I repeat do not! They are wolves in sheep's clothing.

i am not getting u wrong
your mentality is wrong
nwanne u need upgrade

some pastors are worst than white garment church, pray God open your eyes to see what some pastors do behind after all those miracles

as for fetish yoruba friends leave their cycle. cos show me your friends and i will tell u who you are
make good christian friends not minding their tribe. if you are not comfortable with any tribe avoid them if u can

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Practice Voodoo? by thiagocrush: 2:35pm On Feb 09, 2016
chynie:

i am not getting u wrong
your mentality is wrong
nwanne u need upgrade

some pastors are worst than white garment church, pray God open your eyes to see what some pastors do behind after all those miracles

as for fetish yoruba friends leave their cycle. cos show me your friends and i will tell u who you are
make good christian friends not minding their tribe. if you are not comfortable with any tribe avoid them if u can

My mentality is not wrong, I was pushed to attend white garment full time till God saved me as for pastors who do voodoo, it is not new story. Like the saying goes "shine ya eyes well well" quick miracle, quick death

I'm only educating those who plan on visiting white garments to solve their issues, at least we all know white garments when we see them but do u knw the numerous christain churches practising voodoo? No

So mister im not wrong.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Practice Voodoo? by OmoOsanyin: 6:53pm On Feb 09, 2016
Apparently because it works for them!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Practice Voodoo? by yeanka007: 9:09pm On Feb 09, 2016
thiagocrush:
I wanna know why yorubas practice voodoo. Even when they are muslims or christains, there is always one juju god they run to for instant help.
Why do the white garment churches and Muslim alfas practise voodoo all in the name of serving God.

Its just a question and I need sincere answers

No bashing please.

My question to the Op is that why is it that many Igbo fear traveling to their state?

I have seen an Igbo man saying he didn't want to his home town because of the fear of Juju and another who vows to go back to his home town because of fear of him be attached spiritually.

Another reason why most Igbos give for not building houses in their home town is also because of spiritual attack.

The difference between Yoruba and Igbo in terms of voodoo is that Yoruba don't hide it unlike the Igbo.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Practice Voodoo? by ashjay001(m): 10:27pm On Feb 09, 2016
thiagocrush:

Are u serious? D easterners practice christianity in truth? I realised u'r IPOB looking for trouble once I read dat. With all d ritual killings in Okija or d recent news of pastors burying tins on crusade grounds or using humans as building foundation in Enugu? Juju is all over Africa! Dnt discriminate abeg!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Practice Voodoo? by OmoOsanyin: 6:56am On Feb 10, 2016
Apparently because it works for them.

FYI, on the issue of 'mixing' christianity with voodoo...
Moses, Solomon, David the psalmist, Jesus all in the bible, were great magicians (eh...oops...'miracle workers') of their time. What some then likely termed and today may perceive as voodooism.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Here’s 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria Today; Is Your King Among? / Spiritual Healer And Spell Caster Mama Hawa +27736842646 / The Meaning Of Eriwo Ya

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.