Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,966 members, 7,825,023 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 12:07 AM

This Is Exactly What We Do When We Feel Tired, Drowsy Or Just Waking Up - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / This Is Exactly What We Do When We Feel Tired, Drowsy Or Just Waking Up (479 Views)

Teacher Styles Her Hair Like Her Student's Hair To Make Her Feel Better (photo) / What Exactly Are We University Engineering Students Doing In School? / I Feel Bad About My Jamb Score (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

This Is Exactly What We Do When We Feel Tired, Drowsy Or Just Waking Up by tutorng: 2:05pm On Feb 09, 2016
There is a simple movement we all do whenever we feel fatigued due to assuming a particular position for a long time or feel drowsy (just before going to bed) or after waking up from a nap. it is nature's "reset" button aimed at restoring full muscle function and length.

It is called PANDICULATION

Pandiculation is the act of stretching and stiffening the muscles of the trunk, arms and legs often accompanied by a deep yawn. It usually succedes a long period of being in a particular position or posture and is typically depicted by the arms up over the head, making fists and arching the back like a not-well-formed number 7. We are actually tightening and stretching the muscles out from contraction caused by being in a position for a long time, i.e. we are actively stretching the muscles and not passively (like when you stretch your musclesw to get something)

Pandiculation helps our brains reset what it thinks is a resting muscle and a contracted muscle. It also helps our muscles get out of bad habits. For example, if we sit at a computer all day with our arm lifted to hold and operate the mouse, our muscles develop a habit of holding the arm in that position. By pandiculating, we contract the muscle fully, even past the point where the habit started, then by lengthening out from that full contraction, the brain resets the possible length, allowing full range instead of getting “stuck” in the habit of holding the pattern of operating that mouse when we are no longer sitting at the computer.

Re: This Is Exactly What We Do When We Feel Tired, Drowsy Or Just Waking Up by jinha(m): 2:10pm On Feb 09, 2016
noted....
Re: This Is Exactly What We Do When We Feel Tired, Drowsy Or Just Waking Up by tutorng: 2:27pm On Feb 09, 2016
jinha:
noted....

thanks for stopping by

(1) (Reply)

Jamb Opportunities / Help Me #jamb / Nigeria LNG Limited Post-graduate Scholarship Scheme 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.