Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,111 members, 7,818,316 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:28 PM

The Youth Of Today in Relation to Their Mother Tongue - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Youth Of Today in Relation to Their Mother Tongue (1773 Views)

Use Your Mother Tongue In All Social Gatherings – Ohanaeze Tells Ndigbo / Igbo Children's Inability To Speak The Mother Tongue / Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Youth Of Today in Relation to Their Mother Tongue by AyamConfidence(m): 8:21pm On Feb 09, 2016
Uhm my name is Confidence Uzoma...i am Igbo BUT i cannot speak the language. Why? I have spent most of my life in Lagos and my parents didnt bother to teach me but I asked myself "what legacy will i pass to my children? Will they grow up not able to understand their language? I said NO and so i decided to learn to speak (i already understand but not 100% ) and even though neigbhours mock I AM DETERMINED...I know most of us can speak fluently but with the way we are going in this generation, over the next 2 or 3 generations our languages would be lost and our children will forget their roots...this should not happen.....THERE IS POWER IN LANGUAGE....we are often drawn and feel comfortable with people who can communicate with us in our mother tongue....lots of fights have been quelled as a result of discovering that a particular person is your brother or sister....i have seen many...so please i believe we all should be proud of our languages....speak them and pass them to the next generation....I HOPE I'VE BEEN ABLE TO MAKE COMMON SENSE...cc Ronald4life , MrCork , CaroLyner , Decker , Laveda , Ishilove , Lalasticlala etc

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Youth Of Today in Relation to Their Mother Tongue by onstelly(f): 10:08pm On Apr 06, 2016
AyamConfidence:
Uhm my name is Confidence Uzoma...i am Igbo BUT i cannot speak the language. Why? I have spent most of my life in Lagos and my parents didnt bother to teach me but I asked myself "what legacy will i pass to my children? Will they grow up not able to understand their language? I said NO and so i decided to learn to speak (i already understand but not 100% ) and even though neigbhours mock I AM DETERMINED...I know most of us can speak fluently but with the way we are going in this generation, over the next 2 or 3 generations our languages would be lost and our children will forget their roots...this should not happen.....THERE IS POWER IN LANGUAGE....we are often drawn and feel comfortable with people who can communicate with us in our mother tongue....lots of fights have been quelled as a result of discovering that a particular person is your brother or sister....i have seen many...so please i believe we all should be proud of our languages....speak them and pass them to the next generation....I HOPE I'VE BEEN ABLE TO MAKE COMMON SENSE...cc Ronald4life , MrCork , CaroLyner , Decker , Laveda , Ishilove , Lalasticlala etc
I can't reply you in romance section cos I was ban there, still don't understand what happened
Re: The Youth Of Today in Relation to Their Mother Tongue by AyamConfidence(m): 10:13pm On Apr 06, 2016
onstelly:

I can't reply you in romance section cos I was ban there, still don't understand what happened
lol...now you've been banned after 6 years....wetin you do?
Re: The Youth Of Today in Relation to Their Mother Tongue by onstelly(f): 10:18pm On Apr 06, 2016
[quote author=AyamConfidence post=44472353] lol...now you've been banned after 6 years....wetin you do?[quote]
Funny it wasn't by a mod
Am a very peaceful person
It's says I was ban by anti-spam bot cos of this post
It indicated the post n is just a simple, how r u that I replied am fine
Re: The Youth Of Today in Relation to Their Mother Tongue by AyamConfidence(m): 11:21pm On Apr 06, 2016
[quote author=onstelly post=44472479][/quote] lol...it has happened to me before...i was just mad at the bots
Re: The Youth Of Today in Relation to Their Mother Tongue by onstelly(f): 6:43am On Apr 07, 2016
AyamConfidence:
lol...it has happened to me before...i was just mad at the bots
Its frustrating
Re: The Youth Of Today in Relation to Their Mother Tongue by AyamConfidence(m): 6:51am On Apr 07, 2016
onstelly:
Its frustrating
ehyah...dont cry too much sha...how was your night na
Re: The Youth Of Today in Relation to Their Mother Tongue by onstelly(f): 10:59am On Apr 07, 2016
AyamConfidence:
Very fine and urs
Re: The Youth Of Today in Relation to Their Mother Tongue by olaitoro(m): 11:24am On Apr 07, 2016
AyamConfidence:

op you have succeeded in derailing your own thread.

Jisie ike, e ku se, weldone
Re: The Youth Of Today in Relation to Their Mother Tongue by AyamConfidence(m): 8:52pm On Apr 07, 2016
olaitoro:

op you have succeeded in derailing your own thread.

Jisie ike, e ku se, weldone
lol...na Onstelly cause am plus una wey no gree coment before
Re: The Youth Of Today in Relation to Their Mother Tongue by AyamConfidence(m): 8:57pm On Apr 07, 2016
onstelly:

Very fine and urs
its long gone...again...have the bots finally realeased you?
Re: The Youth Of Today in Relation to Their Mother Tongue by onstelly(f): 10:02pm On Apr 07, 2016
AyamConfidence:
its long gone...again...have the bots finally realeased you?
Lol yes am free now
Re: The Youth Of Today in Relation to Their Mother Tongue by AyamConfidence(m): 12:33pm On Apr 08, 2016
onstelly:
Lol yes am free now
congrats...how far na
Re: The Youth Of Today in Relation to Their Mother Tongue by onstelly(f): 3:39pm On Apr 08, 2016
AyamConfidence:
congrats...how far na
Am good dear and you
Re: The Youth Of Today in Relation to Their Mother Tongue by AyamConfidence(m): 5:26pm On Apr 08, 2016
onstelly:

Am good dear and you
i'm okay o...work is working me out jare...how is school?
Re: The Youth Of Today in Relation to Their Mother Tongue by onstelly(f): 9:26pm On Apr 08, 2016
AyamConfidence:
i'm okay o...work is working me out jare...how is school?
School is schooling me out oh
Lmao
School is fine
Re: The Youth Of Today in Relation to Their Mother Tongue by AyamConfidence(m): 9:34pm On Apr 08, 2016
onstelly:
School is schooling me out oh Lmao School is fine
ndo...when are you people vacating?
Re: The Youth Of Today in Relation to Their Mother Tongue by yinkeey26(m): 9:44pm On Apr 08, 2016
onstelly:
School is schooling me out oh Lmao School is fine
you look more of a working class
Re: The Youth Of Today in Relation to Their Mother Tongue by Nobody: 11:30am On Apr 11, 2016
op, na only you dey carry hand derail your thread .. nawa ooo.. kwantinue, u hear..
Re: The Youth Of Today in Relation to Their Mother Tongue by AyamConfidence(m): 10:31pm On Apr 11, 2016
namedonfinish:
op, na only you dey carry hand derail your thread .. nawa ooo.. kwantinue, u hear..
as una no gree comment put nko?

1 Like

Re: The Youth Of Today in Relation to Their Mother Tongue by AyamConfidence(m): 10:48pm On Apr 21, 2017
onstelly:

School is schooling me out oh
Lmao
School is fine
nnwuye MrCork...you still dey Nairaland?? Longest time ooo

(1) (Reply)

Similarities Between Igbo Age Grade Tradition And Jewish Bar Mitzvah / Celebration Of The "Uwaji",coronation Of Chiefs By Eze Okpoko 1 Of "Obi Eziokwu" / Urgent! Igbo Soap Script Wanted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.