Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,782 members, 7,810,041 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:10 PM

African-american Come And Show Your Proverbs Skills - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African-american Come And Show Your Proverbs Skills (1840 Views)

Nigeria Pidgin Proverbs & Their Meanings / Igbos come show your proverbs skills / Why Am I Often Approached By African Men? (An African-American Woman) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

African-american Come And Show Your Proverbs Skills by Hero(m): 12:39pm On Jul 01, 2008
Yes, if you're AA, come here and speak your stuff.
Re: African-american Come And Show Your Proverbs Skills by tpia: 2:56pm On Jul 01, 2008
I'm confused.

Is African American now a separate tribe in Nigeria?

There's a thread saying Igbos come and show your proverb skills.

Another one saying Yorubas come and show your proverb skills.

Now we have hero opening thread for African Americans to come and show their proverb skills. The other tribes never even open them own yet, hero dey jump in.

na competition?

Couldnt you at least have given the thread a different title?

African Americans have their own distinct culture of proverbs and the like, why are you trying to make them an African subgroup?

hero don turn colloquial/local finish. You're sure you're African American? Everyday you seem more and more like a naija dude who somehow got disconnected from his Nigerian roots and now fronts as an AA guy.

like maybe he or one of his parents is actually Nigerian. His story gets more suspicious by the day.

Dont get me wrong- I like learning about AA culture. But even this word "proverb" you used here- how often is it found in AA lingo?
Re: African-american Come And Show Your Proverbs Skills by grafikdon: 3:07pm On Jul 01, 2008
lmao!!!! cheesy grin
Re: African-american Come And Show Your Proverbs Skills by otele(m): 4:07pm On Jul 01, 2008
what's up gee grin grin
Re: African-american Come And Show Your Proverbs Skills by naijadiva2(f): 11:37pm On Jul 01, 2008
@ tpia

its not that serious. let the guy open his own thread. we could all learn from AA proverbs.
Re: African-american Come And Show Your Proverbs Skills by lucabrasi(m): 12:13am On Jul 02, 2008
cant think of any aa proverbs how r bou

i have a dream-m.l king grin
Re: African-american Come And Show Your Proverbs Skills by OrumbaS89(f): 3:09am On Jul 02, 2008
I'm not AA but I do like this quote from Paul Rooney.

"Everyone want to be a nigga but no one want to be a nigga."
Re: African-american Come And Show Your Proverbs Skills by omoge(f): 4:16pm On Jul 02, 2008
didnt yo momma told u she brought yo into this world and could send yo back?

meaning i born you and i fit kill you grin
Re: African-american Come And Show Your Proverbs Skills by lazy(m): 8:31pm On Jul 02, 2008
1) The Blacker the College, the Sweeter the Knowledge
- Black people can educate you as well as anyone else

2) Crabs in a barrel
- Black people need to stop pulling each other down and work together

I could go on, but I will stop with those,

Some quotes:

Education is the passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today. Malcolm X

I freed a thousand slaves I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves. Harriett Tubman
Re: African-american Come And Show Your Proverbs Skills by CH3COO(m): 9:06pm On Jul 02, 2008
OrumbaS89:

I'm not AA but I do like this quote from Paul Rooney.

"Everyone want to be a nigga but no one want to be a nigga."

If nor be say you fyne and you live close by I for don yawa you.  The title says proverbs.
Re: African-american Come And Show Your Proverbs Skills by origina9ja(f): 9:10pm On Jul 02, 2008
omoge:

didnt yo momma told u she brought yo into this world and could send yo back?

meaning i born you and i fit kill you grin

gud AA skill
i like your da way u take interp*
Re: African-american Come And Show Your Proverbs Skills by NubianQ(f): 10:49pm On Jul 02, 2008
*hahahheheeheheehahahahaeheheeh* moving this thread to an AA forum, going, going, gone grin[b][/b]
Re: African-american Come And Show Your Proverbs Skills by SeanT21(f): 2:03am On Jul 03, 2008
"God makes three requests of his children: Do the best you can, where you are, with what you have, now”

“Tell me whom you love, and I'll tell you who you are”

"Jealous? Hate the game and not the player.”

"God can do anything but fail.”

“Once you go Black, you never go back.”

“Money talks - everything else walks”

“Mama's baby, Papa's maybe.”

"If you have only one smile in you, give it to the people you love. Don't be surly at home, then go out in the street and start grinning 'Good morning' at total strangers."

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song."

"Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly."
Re: African-american Come And Show Your Proverbs Skills by lazy(m): 3:00am On Jul 03, 2008
God don't come when you need him, but he right on time
Re: African-american Come And Show Your Proverbs Skills by Memi(f): 5:41am On Jul 03, 2008
"Who's your daddy?" in other words who's your man/boyfriend, "Sporting" in other words dressing up to look for girls/men,  "No ends" in other words you have no money, "My pockets stay long" in other other words you always have money. Thats just a few I can think of. Oh yes "God is just a pray away"
Re: African-american Come And Show Your Proverbs Skills by CH3COO(m): 5:58am On Jul 03, 2008
The talk here is about proverbs, not slangs.
Re: African-american Come And Show Your Proverbs Skills by youngies(m): 11:30am On Jul 03, 2008
CH3COO:

The talk here is about proverbs, not slangs.

I wonder o shocked I guess AA has more of slangs, catch phrases and quotable quotes, but rarely proverbs tongue
Re: African-american Come And Show Your Proverbs Skills by BigSis(f): 9:47pm On Jul 03, 2008
You can hear a rat piss on cotton(people get real quiet, not a sound)

A hit dog hollers the loudest(when truth is spoken, the person who is guilt makes the most noise)

The rooster makes more noise then the hen dat laid de egg(the person who suffers the least makes the most complaints.)
Pretty is as pretty does

You can put out the fire, but what you gonna do with the spoke(for example you lie that you ain't having no sex, but your stomach is getting bigger)

Empty wagon maks a lot of noise(people who ain't got nothing much to say and got no sense, as James Brown said "Talkin' Loud Ain't Saying Nothin')
Re: African-american Come And Show Your Proverbs Skills by Hero(m): 10:10pm On Jul 03, 2008
Humm, these are phrases, but o well.

Fools don't believe fat means greasy. smiley

If you can't take the head, get your ass on out the kitchen. smiley
Re: African-american Come And Show Your Proverbs Skills by drrionelli(m): 1:52am On Jul 04, 2008
Years ago, when interracial dating and marriage were becoming fashionable, it was suggested that:

The blacker the berry, the sweeter the juice.

This, of course, meant that there were many truly exceptional black women (and men) who were worthy of one's attentions and affections.
Re: African-american Come And Show Your Proverbs Skills by onyinye2(f): 1:54am On Jul 04, 2008
@drrionelli

i use that saying all the time. cheesy
Re: African-american Come And Show Your Proverbs Skills by drrionelli(m): 2:46am On Jul 04, 2008
Indeed!   wink

Incidentally, I rather like your "signature."
Re: African-american Come And Show Your Proverbs Skills by onyinye2(f): 3:43am On Jul 05, 2008
oh thanks, i guess in a sense it sort of describes how i feel about relationships.
Re: African-american Come And Show Your Proverbs Skills by pleep(m): 10:04pm On Jul 26, 2011
grin haha funny thread, I had a vauge sense if deja-vu.

Anyway my favorite a.a proverb is : check yo' self before you wreck yourself. cool

On a more serious note Lois farrakhan: one man cannot rise above the condition of his people.

(1) (Reply)

Zulus, Ashantis, Ibos N Yorubas, Who Are The Greatests? / Misconceptions And Realities About The Usage Of The Expression ' Hausa-fulani' / Deji Of Akure Vs Eze Ndigbo Crisis Deepens

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.