Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,325 members, 7,954,312 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 04:28 PM

Igbos And Their Unafrican Way Of Marginalizing Their Women - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbos And Their Unafrican Way Of Marginalizing Their Women (1091 Views)

Opinion Poll: Are Igbos And Igbo Towns Complying With The Sit-at-home Order / We Are The Largest Ethnic Group, Stop Marginalizing Us, Tor Tiv Tells Fed Gov. / Beautiful People Of Igala Land And Her Unique Traditional Way Of Dressing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbos And Their Unafrican Way Of Marginalizing Their Women by peacengine(m): 5:13pm On Feb 10, 2016
As an Efik man from CRS we value our women and accord them equal rights as men. Women have the right to inheritance traditionally, they can also own land and property, we value every child irrespective of gender. As such, it is surprising for me to hear that a recent bill to promote gender equality in Enugu state was dismissed on the excuse that it is Unafrican.

We the Efiks/Akwa Ibomites are also Africans yet women are valued here.
Re: Igbos And Their Unafrican Way Of Marginalizing Their Women by chriskosherbal(m): 5:20pm On Feb 10, 2016
I don't think they disvalue women, but it's just their norms and tradition.

1 Like

Re: Igbos And Their Unafrican Way Of Marginalizing Their Women by peacengine(m): 5:40pm On Feb 10, 2016
@Chriskosherbal, then why didn't they pass the law. I hope you know their women do not have the right to own land or property? One of my guys who is the last son of the family said he is entitled to all his mother's property instead of his sisters, I didn't even bother asking him about his father's property after hearing this.
Re: Igbos And Their Unafrican Way Of Marginalizing Their Women by tpiar: 8:51pm On Feb 10, 2016
peacengine:
As an Efik man from CRS we value our women and accord them equal rights as men. Women have the right to inheritance traditionally, they can also own land and property, we value every child irrespective of gender. As such, it is surprising for me to hear that a recent bill to promote gender equality in Enugu state was dismissed on the excuse that it is Unafrican.

We the Efiks/Akwa Ibomites are also Africans yet women are valued here.

Is your thread based on particular people or what exactly?
Re: Igbos And Their Unafrican Way Of Marginalizing Their Women by Nobody: 2:14pm On Feb 11, 2016
no culture is superior to the other....a woman's place in Igboland is beside her husband whatever the husband inherits from his own side belongs to him and his wife. take for instance in my own case,when my paternal grandmother died automatically my mother inherited her lands not her clothes and kitchen utensils which belonged to the first or last daughter. I am the last son in my house when my mother goes to be with her maker (I pray it doesn't come soon) her things become mine which eventually are my wife's own so I dont understand what you people mean by Igbos not allowing their women to inherit things...again in Igboland we practice a patrilineal society except in places like Ohafia, therefore lands are owned according to patrilineal ancestry. when a woman is married her husband's inheritance (in this case land) belongs to her ,her husband and her male children. This does not mean that when a father dies that the female children cannot inherit his money, they can but they can't inherit ancestral lands because they already have an inheritance in their husband's place
Re: Igbos And Their Unafrican Way Of Marginalizing Their Women by tpiar: 2:38pm On Feb 11, 2016
I have never heard of a man's inheritance belonging to or being jointly shared with his wife?

That seems strange imo.
Re: Igbos And Their Unafrican Way Of Marginalizing Their Women by Nobody: 3:18pm On Feb 12, 2016
so the man is now different from his wife?? your opinion like u rightly said

2 Likes

Re: Igbos And Their Unafrican Way Of Marginalizing Their Women by peacengine(m): 10:28pm On Feb 13, 2016
ovadozes:
no culture is superior to the other....a woman's place in Igboland is beside her husband whatever the husband inherits from his own side belongs to him and his wife. take for instance in my own case,when my paternal grandmother died automatically my mother inherited her lands not her clothes and kitchen utensils which belonged to the first or last daughter. I am the last son in my house when my mother goes to be with her maker (I pray it doesn't come soon) her things become mine which eventually are my wife's own so I dont understand what you people mean by Igbos not allowing their women to inherit things...again in Igboland we practice a patrilineal society except in places like Ohafia, therefore lands are owned according to patrilineal ancestry. when a woman is married her husband's inheritance (in this case land) belongs to her ,her husband and her male children. This does not mean that when a father dies that the female children cannot inherit his money, they can but they can't inherit ancestral lands because they already have an inheritance in their husband's place

If you inherit your mother's things which ones will your sister inherit? Does a wife share the inheritance of her husband if she does not have a son? In your culture the property of the man goes to his sons and not his wife, if he has no son then it goes to his brothers. Women are nothing in Igbo culture
Re: Igbos And Their Unafrican Way Of Marginalizing Their Women by peacengine(m): 10:31pm On Feb 13, 2016
tpiar:
I have never heard of a man's inheritance belonging to or being jointly shared with his wife?

That seems strange imo.

Don't mind him, dude thinks he's talking to moro.nns

(1) (Reply)

/ Know How This Great Kingdom (BENIN) Was Looted By The British. / Please, Help Me Translate This To English

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.