Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,831 members, 7,810,197 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:08 PM

Valentine:vibes From A Vanishing World - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Valentine:vibes From A Vanishing World (346 Views)

Valentine Day's Message To Lovely Christian Friends / Pentecostals Bash Catholics Yet They Celebrate Valentine The Most / Uebert Angel Buys Lamborghini For His Wife For Valentine (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Valentine:vibes From A Vanishing World by poik(m): 3:26pm On Feb 11, 2016
So its approaching February 14. There is love in the air. the radio, television, the internet and mass media are all awash with adverts and promos and the slogan is always 'in the spirit of the Valentine season'. Opportunistic ladies put on their best garb of behaviour, ostensibly to hook a partner down to 'be their Val'. Guys with the same labelling perfect their baits  and charm and wit for a nice good hunting and happy landing. The period is usually an interesting piece of entertainment, there being no end to the drama that is wont to unfold.

I do not want to believe that the lion share of the enlightened population have not cared to inquire after the origin of this commemoration. One can easily understand with those who are only content with general proclamation of February 14 as Valentine's day as the only cue they need to indulge. Afterall, the information on almost anything one needs is there for the asking- at the touch of a button.

In the Nigerian parlance, I  will not be wrong to say that the population is equally skewed between Christians and Muslims, which are the principal religions that make up our demography. but the hue and hype of the Valentine produces mostly Christian vibes... at least to the best of my knowledge.

In all the accounts that chronicle the origin of Valentine's day, there has been one constant feature: sexual deviance and debauchery, or at best inordinate sexual relations outside of marriage, which is the Biblically prescribed visa into the foray of sexual adventure. While it is still debatable the veracity and truth of any of these accounts, that is a lesser evil compared to the glaring fact that a commemoration stuffed to the throat with such maverick show of depravity and impunity is attractive to people, Christians in particular!

While i see nothing wrong with married people taking time out to reaffirm their vows and unwind a little, which does not have to be on a special day anyway, the level of moral decadence that characterizes this period each year is simply appaling. A ten year old girl told me today they were organising a prom night in their primary school to mark Valentine's day!

In summary, Valentine has no godly or religious significance or benefit to a Bible-believing, heaven-minded Christian. If anything, it is nothing more than an avenue to promote and market lasciviousness and lust and clandestine sex, if we want to be sincere about it. This may sound leftist and harsh, but sweet truth is usually not truth. Truth will only be sweet to those connected to the Truth- Jesus Christ.

Christians, take note.

(1) (Reply)

Angels And The Apostles / Don't Let... / Today Is Holy Thursday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.