Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,652 members, 7,809,467 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:05 AM

Ways To Keep Your Tech Swag Despite High Electricity Tariffs - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Ways To Keep Your Tech Swag Despite High Electricity Tariffs (13076 Views)

See Power Innovations That Can Solve The Electricity Supply Problem In Nigeria / 5 Ways Your Tech Gadgets May Be Affecting Your Health / Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ways To Keep Your Tech Swag Despite High Electricity Tariffs by Exponental(m): 5:11pm On Feb 12, 2016
get a good job so u can pay your bills...
Re: Ways To Keep Your Tech Swag Despite High Electricity Tariffs by afm4ever(m): 7:10pm On Feb 12, 2016
jpphilips:
The power companies need money to invest in the sector no doubt about that, power generation cost money, that does not still justify the increment at least till we all get meters.

The Honorable Minister Fashola should explain to Nigerians how companies that lack the Financial muscle to invest in the electricity sector won those bids, It wasn't his administration but the realities on ground have necessitated a total probe of the bidding process.

it's like selling an airline to a cab company then turn around and ask the passengers to pay more so that the cab company can buy a plane when it was pretty obvious ab initio that the cab company lacked the capacity to manage an airline.
These companies were allegedly sold to cronies of former president Jonathan in a very dubious process, companies that lack the expertise and financials to run anything were given critical national assets to manage, the process was so shoddy that reputable world class companies like Manitoba was knocked off in favour of companies that had no idea the difference between + & -, are we still surprised why Barth Nnaji was eased out during the Alibaba process. The Acquisition process must be probed!!

Before Nigerians are forced to pay more for services they never get, we need to look at two money spinning areas for the electricity companies.

1) Estimated billing
2) Fixed charge.

Nigerians were charged a fixed charge of 750 naira from 2013 to the last day of 2015, if we take a DISCO like EEDC for example, EEDC monopolized 5 states (Anambra,Imo,Abia,Ebonyi and Enugu states), if we estimate an average of 50 million flats in these states, EEDC makes
750 X 50,000,000.that is a whooping 37.5b naira monthly or 900bn naira for 2yrs.
If you have a bad substation (transformer), they will never spend 2m to replace it rather they will Refurbish it in 20cycles from one street to the other.

KEPCO completed a 200MW power plant in the Philippines for $450m, with exchange rate of 155naira to a dollar (2013 when the DISCOS took over) that amounts to 69.7b naira. This has clearly shown us that a DISCO like EEDC has made enough money in 2yrs to build 13, 200MW power plant from fixed charge alone.

Estimated Billing;

A flat in my neighborhood pays 25k as monthly charge, an area that suffers 4hrs of electricity a day, now, if you do the maths with the worst type of electronics on earth, you will agree with me that a flat in my neighborhood should not consume more than 7k in a month.
Subtract that amount from the 25k we pay, the DISCO is making another killing of 18k per flat, I am sure that it is the same with most estimated flats.

Suppose half of EEDC customers are on estimated billing, on this fraud they make another 18k X 25m= 450b per month or 10.8T in 2yrs, let us give recurrent expenditure half of that amount, EEDC as a DISCO made 6.3T in two years, an amount that can build 78nos 200MW power plant.

How can fashola convince me that they do not have the funds to invest in the sector to guarantee steady electricity for consumers?

One of the least Power assets is a meter, a three phase meter retails in China for $80 quantity price, yet fashola thinks that a company sitting on 6.3T could not provide an $80 meter to justify the said increment?
If at 6.3T they can not provide ordinary meter, how much more do we need to pay before a transmission line is replaced?

Is this change??
good analysis is like your familiar with the company from your analysis
Re: Ways To Keep Your Tech Swag Despite High Electricity Tariffs by adewasco2k(m): 7:59pm On Feb 12, 2016
TeOwl:
how many watts does you TV, Laptop and DSTV consume in total?

i dont really know but its below 500Watt

because i was using the 500W mini inverter initially and it was working fine before i just willingly upgraded to a 1000W
Re: Ways To Keep Your Tech Swag Despite High Electricity Tariffs by adewasco2k(m): 8:03pm On Feb 12, 2016
9japrof:

You mean 48ah battery, that should be a car battery or something right ?

that's cute bro, desperate times calls for desperate measures

its not a car battery, its a LifePo4 rechargeable battery

Re: Ways To Keep Your Tech Swag Despite High Electricity Tariffs by videografi2015: 3:57am On Feb 13, 2016
jpphilips:
The power companies need money to invest in the sector no doubt about that, power generation cost money, that does not still justify the increment at least till we all get meters.

The Honorable Minister Fashola should explain to Nigerians how companies that lack the Financial muscle to invest in the electricity sector won those bids, It wasn't his administration but the realities on ground have necessitated a total probe of the bidding process.

it's like selling an airline to a cab company then turn around and ask the passengers to pay more so that the cab company can buy a plane when it was pretty obvious ab initio that the cab company lacked the capacity to manage an airline.
These companies were allegedly sold to cronies of former president Jonathan in a very dubious process, companies that lack the expertise and financials to run anything were given critical national assets to manage, the process was so shoddy that reputable world class companies like Manitoba was knocked off in favour of companies that had no idea the difference between + & -, are we still surprised why Barth Nnaji was eased out during the Alibaba process. The Acquisition process must be probed!!

Before Nigerians are forced to pay more for services they never get, we need to look at two money spinning areas for the electricity companies.

1) Estimated billing
2) Fixed charge.

Nigerians were charged a fixed charge of 750 naira from 2013 to the last day of 2015, if we take a DISCO like EEDC for example, EEDC monopolized 5 states (Anambra,Imo,Abia,Ebonyi and Enugu states), if we estimate an average of 50 million flats in these states, EEDC makes
750 X 50,000,000.that is a whooping 37.5b naira monthly or 900bn naira for 2yrs.
If you have a bad substation (transformer), they will never spend 2m to replace it rather they will Refurbish it in 20cycles from one street to the other.

KEPCO completed a 200MW power plant in the Philippines for $450m, with exchange rate of 155naira to a dollar (2013 when the DISCOS took over) that amounts to 69.7b naira. This has clearly shown us that a DISCO like EEDC has made enough money in 2yrs to build 13, 200MW power plant from fixed charge alone.

Estimated Billing;

A flat in my neighborhood pays 25k as monthly charge, an area that suffers 4hrs of electricity a day, now, if you do the maths with the worst type of electronics on earth, you will agree with me that a flat in my neighborhood should not consume more than 7k in a month.
Subtract that amount from the 25k we pay, the DISCO is making another killing of 18k per flat, I am sure that it is the same with most estimated flats.

Suppose half of EEDC customers are on estimated billing, on this fraud they make another 18k X 25m= 450b per month or 10.8T in 2yrs, let us give recurrent expenditure half of that amount, EEDC as a DISCO made 6.3T in two years, an amount that can build 78nos 200MW power plant.

How can fashola convince me that they do not have the funds to invest in the sector to guarantee steady electricity for consumers?

One of the least Power assets is a meter, a three phase meter retails in China for $80 quantity price, yet fashola thinks that a company sitting on 6.3T could not provide an $80 meter to justify the said increment?
If at 6.3T they can not provide ordinary meter, how much more do we need to pay before a transmission line is replaced?

Is this change??
Re: Ways To Keep Your Tech Swag Despite High Electricity Tariffs by videografi2015: 4:00am On Feb 13, 2016
Transfer your analog audio/video cassettes,LP gramophone records, reel-to-reel tapes, VHS, Betamax, U-matic, V8 etc to any digital format.
-Transmit your LIVE event to your nearest TV station.
Also available are
-Herakles 4-input virtual set vision mixer,and other vision mixers
-SDI cards,
-High end computer graphic cards,

Is it not better to model the power sector after the transport sector where there is no guaranteed monopoly for cronies.
Re: Ways To Keep Your Tech Swag Despite High Electricity Tariffs by Nobody: 9:57am On Feb 13, 2016
Make more money

Simple.
Re: Ways To Keep Your Tech Swag Despite High Electricity Tariffs by Nobody: 11:22am On Feb 13, 2016
Please help my monthly electricity bill is 12,000 Naira this is really bitting hard, what can i do ?
Re: Ways To Keep Your Tech Swag Despite High Electricity Tariffs by 9japrof(m): 11:59am On Feb 13, 2016
adewasco2k:

its not a car battery, its a LifePo4 rechargeable battery

Dude I have that kinda of battery that I got from INEC back in the days used for elections, tho the circuit is dead but the battery very much alive, how do I roll with it to do that kind of connection
Re: Ways To Keep Your Tech Swag Despite High Electricity Tariffs by adewasco2k(m): 8:48pm On Feb 13, 2016
9japrof:

Dude I have that kinda of battery that I got from INEC back in the days used for elections, tho the circuit is dead but the battery very much alive, how do I roll with it to do that kind of connection

by the circuit you mean the Dc distribution box for laptop?

all you will need since you gat the battery already are:

(am assuming you have the battery charger too)
1. DC distrubition box (this is for your laptop (no very necessary but makes it efficient)
2. small 1000W inverter (you can just collect an extension wire to this to power your appliances, i dont use it to power my laptop though, i prefer the DC box.)

This solution is awesome
Re: Ways To Keep Your Tech Swag Despite High Electricity Tariffs by spyglaxx: 6:48am On Feb 14, 2016
they removed the light from town claiming 33million indebtedness so i got a 200 watts solar panel powering my house now. Electricity bill is out of my budget.
Re: Ways To Keep Your Tech Swag Despite High Electricity Tariffs by iguita: 4:22pm On Feb 14, 2016
Ogbeni, you have exposed the secrets of these guys oo. father inlaw and I were discussing these issue just an hour ago and I told him that the increment in tariff will not improve generation or supply, rather what we will see is another increment by this time next year. I should show the old man your post, it made all my arguments since morning simple. What I do not understand is why the honorable (or horrorable minister in this case supported them, I told daddy he must have collected brown envelope but daddy is a devoted Buhari/ Fashola follower.
jpphilips:

1) Estimated billing
2) Fixed charge.

Estimated Billing;

Is this change??
Re: Ways To Keep Your Tech Swag Despite High Electricity Tariffs by jpphilips(m): 9:12am On Feb 16, 2016
iguita:
Ogbeni, you have exposed the secrets of these guys oo. father inlaw and I were discussing these issue just an hour ago and I told him that the increment in tariff will not improve generation or supply, rather what we will see is another increment by this time next year. I should show the old man your post, it made all my arguments since morning simple. What I do not understand is why the honorable (or horrorable minister in this case supported them, I told daddy he must have collected brown envelope but daddy is a devoted Buhari/ Fashola follower.

Fashola is busy insulting common sense, give us meter then increase your tariff, if I can afford just 10hrs of your expensive electricity daily, so be it, if i can afford 24hrs, then so be it.
Re: Ways To Keep Your Tech Swag Despite High Electricity Tariffs by iguita: 7:59pm On Feb 17, 2016
#Gbam. I thought this common sense is simple.
jpphilips:

Fashola is busy insulting common sense, give us meter then increase your tariff, if I can afford just 10hrs of your expensive electricity daily, so be it, if i can afford 24hrs, then so be it.
Re: Ways To Keep Your Tech Swag Despite High Electricity Tariffs by joehis2013: 7:42am On Feb 27, 2016
spyglaxx:
they removed the light from town claiming 33million indebtedness so i got a 200 watts solar panel powering my house now. Electricity bill is out of my budget.

Lolz 33million, pls how much and where did you get your 200 watts solar panel

1 Like

Re: Ways To Keep Your Tech Swag Despite High Electricity Tariffs by Nobody: 5:37pm On Feb 29, 2016
adewasco2k:
with my 48ah battery + DC distribution box + 1000w/Dc12V to AC220V with a USB 5V i have my self covered for almost the whole day on my laptop + TV + DSTV

This was my greatest discovery in 2015.
how much did this setup cost u
Re: Ways To Keep Your Tech Swag Despite High Electricity Tariffs by adewasco2k(m): 6:03pm On Feb 29, 2016
radiokilla:
how much did this setup cost u
Re: Ways To Keep Your Tech Swag Despite High Electricity Tariffs by Nobody: 7:28am On Mar 01, 2016
adewasco2k:
please can i get ur contact.... I'm working on something like that and i need guidance.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ways To Keep Your Tech Swag Despite High Electricity Tariffs by adewasco2k(m): 7:46am On Mar 01, 2016
Khaynet:

please can i get ur contact....
I'm working on something like that and i need guidance.
just send me a PM via Nairaland

(1) (2) (Reply)

Discover How You Can Easily Convert Any Generator's Engine To Run On Water And D / Cdn Af Feednews Com: The Unrivaled Opera News Hub / Near-death Experiences "Explained"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.