Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,153 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:36 AM

Why Do Africans Like To To Imitate The Western Culture? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Africans Like To To Imitate The Western Culture? (15032 Views)

Adopted Western Culture That You Dislike. / Western Culture Vs African Culture / What Does 'Have A Drink' Mean In The Western Society? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Africans Like To To Imitate The Western Culture? by sweetpie23: 3:53pm On Jul 06, 2009
Hello
people I lived outside Africa,  but I love my country and my culture. In the last decade or so, I've noticed that Africans  try so hard to be like the westeners. Why is that? We never dated before, why have guys and girls begun to do that sort of thing?
We used to dress moderately, now girls wear sleeveless shirts and short skirts. why try to imitate the western world? it looks horrible.( angry angry angry angry
Don't call me old fashioned, because I'm not. We're Africans, and we live a certain way. We're not supposed to try to be like the people from the west, its insulting to our culture.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Africans Like To To Imitate The Western Culture? by Nobody: 5:40am On Jul 07, 2009
Spelling can be hard sha.

A-F-R-I-C-A
Re: Why Do Africans Like To To Imitate The Western Culture? by Nobody: 5:42am On Jul 07, 2009
oh and sweetiepie, who ever LIED to you that Africans used to dress "modestly/moderately" is a very wicked person.

We wore very minimal clothing before the European bitches came and started making noise about nudity. It's hot in Africa, so no need for so many clothes.

So my dear, you are not old-fashioned, you are actually NEW-fashioned because your moderate dressing is actually AGAINST your culture.

Thanks, I just had to point that out.

A lot of Africans think that European culture is THEIR culture and then they start making noise about dressing. I'm sorry, but you're mistaken.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Africans Like To To Imitate The Western Culture? by shotster50(m): 11:20pm On Jul 07, 2009
Imitating the West is not just an African thing. It is universal go and check for yourself.
Re: Why Do Africans Like To To Imitate The Western Culture? by JustGood(m): 12:48pm On Jul 08, 2009
sugabelly:

oh and sweetiepie, who ever LIED to you that Africans used to dress "modestly/moderately" is a very wicked person.

We wore very minimal clothing before the European bitches came and started making noise about nudity. It's hot in Africa, so no need for so many clothes.

So my dear, you are not old-fashioned, you are actually NEW-fashioned because your moderate dressing is actually AGAINST your culture.

Thanks, I just had to point that out.

A lot of Africans think that European culture is THEIR culture and then they start making noise about dressing. I'm sorry, but you're mistaken.

Oh okay.

so when they told us to wear clothes, we did. Now that they are dressing almost nude, we should also follow suit.

There will always be a reason for doing ANYTHING at all
Re: Why Do Africans Like To To Imitate The Western Culture? by Nobody: 5:58pm On Jul 08, 2009
@ poster

It's called the law of survivor. When you are in Rome behave like the Romans. How many Nigerians back home really live like westerners? Abeg all this is caused by an incurable inferiority complex.
Re: Why Do Africans Like To To Imitate The Western Culture? by chiogo(f): 6:09pm On Jul 08, 2009
I totally agree with Sugabelly, Nigerians always have this delusion that they're more 'decent' compared to westerners. The truth is, they're really not. The only difference is that westerners can be 'indecent' and get away with it where as, a Nigerian/African can not due to the ridicule s(he) will receive from the society. Hence many of them tend to live false lives and hide their dirty laundries, which will still be aired sooner or later.

@poster, you did not make much sense when you say that "We never dated before, why have guys and girls begun to do that sort of thing?", what's that supposed to mean? Even in the bible, it's called 'courting'. Really don't see anything wrong with dating so long as you don't do things you're not supposed to do. Yes, Nigerians used to date even in the olden days, most of them just hid it from their parents. watch one of those 'way back' naija movies and you'll be sure to find a scene where a boy and a girl are sneaking up to meet behind a tree or in the bush.

And you bearing sweetpie23 don't seem so patriotic either. Last time I checked, pie is a western food. J/K tongue

1 Like

Re: Why Do Africans Like To To Imitate The Western Culture? by Beaf: 6:22pm On Jul 08, 2009
michelin89:

@ poster

It's called the law of survivor. When you are in Rome behave like the Romans. How many Nigerians back home really live like westerners? Abeg all this is caused by an incurable inferiority complex.

Exactly! If Barak Obama had been Nigerian maybe he would have changed his name to Micky Jack, still be washing dishes and talking with an invented accent.
Re: Why Do Africans Like To To Imitate The Western Culture? by Nobody: 1:35am On Jul 09, 2009
JustGood:

Oh okay.

so when they told us to wear clothes, we did. Now that they are dressing almost nude, we should also follow suit.

There will always be a reason for doing ANYTHING at all

We didn't have to and we shouldn't have. It is effing HOT in Nigeria, why should we have to cover up when it is so hot? The Europeans obviously had no sense and that's why so many of them died of heat stroke because the idiots were busy wearing long sleeve in the middle of the African sun. Our ancestors were even more foolish because they saw them dying of heat stroke and stupidly followed them to wear their nonsense hot clothes.

Please Nigerians should stop deceiving themselves. It has never been our culture to wear so-called modest clothes. Can you imagine in Nigeria a girl walking down the street in a miniskirt is harassed meanwhile some of our traditional wear is basically the same as a miniskirt.

Or a girl wearing a belly showing top is harassed meanwhile Fulani traditional wear exposes your belly everyday.

Abeg jo, all these over righteous people should go and sit down. Culture ni tradition ko.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Africans Like To To Imitate The Western Culture? by Epiphany(m): 11:27am On Jul 09, 2009
Its called GLOBALISATION and like an earlier poster said, it is not only Africans that are imitating. The Asians, South Americans and most others are doing the same. It comes with whoever drives the world economy - they eventually influence the local cultures.

We all watch films made in the US, drive cars made in Europe, wear clothes made in the Far East (who are also imitators of the West), read books and magazines written by all these people put together, etc. How will we not be affected by the west?

Mind you the west is also influenced, in varying degrees, by those from these countries they are supposedly influencing. People in the US and Europe love to eat native foods: like Indian Curry, Thai and Chinese dishes etc. They wear native 'charms' and accessories from these places: bangles and jewellry from Africa and Asia, they drive cars made and imported from countries like Korea, Japan, china, india,

My conclusion is that we all influence eath other - even though we may claim that we are more influenced by the west than they are by us!

One last question: what are we doing to stop being influenced by the west or what are we doing to influence them back? NOTHING. WE IMPORT EVERYTHING AND EXPORT NOTHING. Even our crude which is collected locally is sent abroad and sold back to us as refined products. Shame!
Re: Why Do Africans Like To To Imitate The Western Culture? by iice(f): 1:59pm On Jul 09, 2009
Interesting read.
Re: Why Do Africans Like To To Imitate The Western Culture? by sweetpie23: 2:01pm On Jul 09, 2009
Epiphany:

Its called GLOBALISATION and like an earlier poster said, it is not only Africans that are imitating. The Asians, South Americans and most others are doing the same. It comes with whoever drives the world economy - they eventually influence the local cultures.
that make sense

Epiphany:

One last question: what are we doing to stop being influenced by the west or what are we doing to influence them back? NOTHING. WE IMPORT EVERYTHING AND EXPORT NOTHING. Even our crude which is collected locally is sent abroad and sold back to us as refined products. Shame!
undecided undecided undecided
Re: Why Do Africans Like To To Imitate The Western Culture? by eddy1977(m): 4:20am On Aug 25, 2009
At least thank the westerners for teaching us their languages. imagine if we never learned english? how would we have been able to communicate across Africa?
also thank them for Computers. had they not invented it, you wouldnt have been on this forum.
had they not showed the proper bathroom and toilet paper you would have been defecating in the bush and using straw to wipe yourself.
blacks in micronesia and polynesia still walk around naked or with their joysticks tucked in a horn, at least the westerners showed you underwears.
some of you ladies who are outraged by westerners, still wear thongs, g-strings and kinky stuff for your men; you should thank westerners for it at least.some of you have dildos and vibrators. our ancestors never gave blowjobs and never sucked vaginas, thank the westerners at least for showing it to us.

some of you live in western countries and have changed your nationalities.thank westerners for it at least.

how about we love each other, immitate what is good and resist what is bad?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Africans Like To To Imitate The Western Culture? by davidif: 4:51am On Aug 25, 2009
At least thank the westerners for teaching us their languages. imagine if we never learned english? how would we have been able to communicate across Africa?
also thank them for Computers. had they not invented it, you wouldnt have been on this forum.
had they not showed the proper bathroom and toilet paper you would have been defecating in the bush and using straw to wipe yourself.
blacks in micronesia and polynesia still walk around naked or with their joysticks tucked in a horn, at least the westerners showed you underwears.
some of you ladies who are outraged by westerners, still wear thongs, g-strings and kinky stuff for your men; you should thank westerners for it at least.some of you have dildos and vibrators. our ancestors never gave blowjobs and never sucked vaginas, thank the westerners at least for showing it to us.

some of you live in western countries and have changed your nationalities.thank westerners for it at least.

how about we love each other, immitate what is good and resist what is bad?

Omo, cool down na. ha ha ha ha ha ha grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Africans Like To To Imitate The Western Culture? by Nobody: 12:19pm On Aug 26, 2009
sweetpie23:

Hello
people I lived outside African, but I love my country and my culture. In the last decade or so, I've noticed that Africans try so hard to be like the westeners. Why is that? We never dated before, why have guys and girls begun to do that sort of thing?

do you know the meaning of love? angry
Re: Why Do Africans Like To To Imitate The Western Culture? by Magz(m): 6:21am On Aug 28, 2009
Why imitate savages? Glutonous, hypocritical infidels? Study the history of the World, and you'll see that it is not wise to follow the ways of the so-called "West".
Re: Why Do Africans Like To To Imitate The Western Culture? by sexyLeamon(f): 1:19pm On Aug 28, 2009
sweetpie23:

In the last decade or so, I've noticed that Africans try so hard to be like the westeners. Why is that? We never dated before, why have guys and girls begun to do that sort of thing?

bloody nonsense. No kidding. This is just dumb. What ever happened to falling inlove with a person for who they are and not letting outer appearance cloud your judgement? These are words that human beings especially u need to meditate on to be wise in picking someone to love. love is not a matter of colour but a matter of feeling
Re: Why Do Africans Like To To Imitate The Western Culture? by girl22(f): 2:29am On Aug 29, 2009
when africa was the superpower pre-colonial times people looked to africa for guidance.

people just copy off the superpowers.
Re: Why Do Africans Like To To Imitate The Western Culture? by sweetpie23: 12:30pm On Aug 29, 2009
rokiatu:

do you know the meaning of love? angry
I sure do
Re: Why Do Africans Like To To Imitate The Western Culture? by TheSeeker(m): 11:05pm On Aug 29, 2009
You could have led by an example; say when you wanted to start this thread, type in your native language and translate it to English language afterwards.
Re: Why Do Africans Like To To Imitate The Western Culture? by eddy1977(m): 11:41pm On Aug 29, 2009
TheSeeker:

You could have led by an example; say when you wanted to start this thread, type in your native language and translate it to English language afterwards.

I agree with your comment.
Re: Why Do Africans Like To To Imitate The Western Culture? by Magz(m): 1:52am On Aug 30, 2009
sexyLeamon:

bloody nonsense. No kidding. This is just dumb. What ever happened to falling inlove with a person for who they are and not letting outer appearance cloud your judgement? These are words that human beings especially u need to meditate on to be wise in picking someone to love. love is not a matter of colour but a matter of feeling

No disrespect to you, but this is a foolish and/or ignorant statement.

Study history. Study ourstory. Then maybe you will understand.
Re: Why Do Africans Like To To Imitate The Western Culture? by sweetpie23: 6:50am On Aug 30, 2009
sexyLeamon:

angry

Magz:

No disrespect to you, but this is a foolish and/or ignorant statement.

Study history. Study ourstory. Then maybe you will understand.
thank you very much
Re: Why Do Africans Like To To Imitate The Western Culture? by oyinda3(f): 7:35am On Aug 30, 2009
i totally understand where you're coming from n your point of view, sweetpie.
like somebody already mentioned, it's globalization and it's not affecting just africa. It's affecting countries all over the world asia, india and whatnot.
i won't say one culture is better than the other though. there are good and bad points in every culture and the best case is if we copy the good and ignore the bad. but this is not realistic unless we have a sort of filtering tool (govt regulated media in china, language police in france etc). trust me many countries are trying to control the US influence on their country. lol

do you know the meaning of love? Angry

what is the meaning of love? 
Re: Why Do Africans Like To To Imitate The Western Culture? by No2Atheism(m): 8:00am On Aug 30, 2009
@topic

Maybe you are meeting the wrong african men.

- i for one am proud to be african and i don't joke around with it. Infact i make it a point of pride to wear as much african clothes in a this cold western weather as much as it is practically possible.

- And i look good in them grin grin grin so much so that grin
Re: Why Do Africans Like To To Imitate The Western Culture? by TheSeeker(m): 8:02am On Aug 30, 2009
I'll give you an example to think about. From where and who did these westerners learn tattooing from? Africa was the first place where tattoos were found -- that's where it originated from. They only modernized it and now people think it's their trademark.
Re: Why Do Africans Like To To Imitate The Western Culture? by eddy1977(m): 8:09am On Aug 30, 2009
TheSeeker:

I'll give you an example to think about. From where and who did these westerners learn tattooing from? Africa was the first place where tattoos were found -- that's where it originated from. They only modernized it and now people think it's their trademark.

i would have to respectfully disagree with you here dear. mayas and incas had tatoes as well, did they copy that from africans?

also, i have never heard of any westerner claiming that tatooes originated from them, not in a book not on tv not anywhere. so, would you kindly tell me where you learned your wonderfull infos from? i would be very honored to double check. thank you.
Re: Why Do Africans Like To To Imitate The Western Culture? by oyinda3(f): 8:10am On Aug 30, 2009
TheSeeker:

lipsrsealed ummm tattooing is practiced world wide and is not native to any particular place
it's practiced all over asia, europe etc. from years BC lol

even on the topic we were both on recently, the nazis marked the jews with identification tattoos in the concentration camps. don't think that idea came from africa either lol
Re: Why Do Africans Like To To Imitate The Western Culture? by eddy1977(m): 8:19am On Aug 30, 2009
No2Atheism:

@topic

- i for one am proud to be african and i don't joke around with it. Infact i make it a point of pride to wear as much african clothes in a this cold western weather as much as it is practically possible.

first of all brother, thank you for staying original in your outwear. i salute your patriotism.
i have just one question: does wearing african outwears a sign of being proud to be african? can i wear american outfits and still keep my african dignity and pride? dont you think if you didnt live in a western country and stayed back in your native african nation and never spoke any english would have made you an even more prouder african? please help me out i am just trying to understand better. thank you.
Re: Why Do Africans Like To To Imitate The Western Culture? by sweetpie23: 8:26am On Aug 30, 2009
No2Atheism:

@topic

if only most of them were like you
Re: Why Do Africans Like To To Imitate The Western Culture? by TheSeeker(m): 9:21am On Aug 30, 2009
eddy1977:

i would have to respectfully disagree with you here dear. mayas and incas had tatoes as well, did they copy that from africans?

also, i have never heard of any westerner claiming that tatooes originated from them, not in a book not on tv not anywhere. so, would you kindly tell me where you learned your wonderfull infos from? i would be very honored to double check. thank you.
oyinda.:

lipsrsealed ummm tattooing is practiced world wide and is not native to any particular place
it's practiced all over asia, europe etc. from years BC lol

even on the topic we were both on recently, the nazis marked the jews with identification tattoos in the concentration camps. don't think that idea came from africa either lol
I read a book that said something about that. I'll have to remember the title or the author and get back to you. I don't know where the author got that information from but for the most part of the book, everything is informative. I'll try if I can remember the book; but I am very sure it was first found in Africa, and its origin is from there --- I was just stating that the book had some great facts apart from it stipulating tattoo was from Africa.

There are facts which I can't verify to be true but still makes a lot of sense. Like there's an article I read last year that mentioned that people were black before and they migrated from Africa (I don't know how true that is) but Egypt did exist in the Bible and it sure is an African country.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Africans Like To To Imitate The Western Culture? by TheSeeker(m): 9:29am On Aug 30, 2009
[Quote][b]The origin from tattoos isn't really known. It's said that the art of tattooing first started in about 12,000 BC. In recorded history, tattoos began in Egypt during the time of the construction of the great pyramids. [/b]Other countries like Greece, Crete, Persia, and Arabia picked up on tattooing around the same time. Later on, around 2,000 BC, tattooing spread to China.Tattooing did get to the West for a while after than, but was banned in 787 AD by a pope. It then reappeared in the early 18th century by a sailor who traveled throughout the South Seas and brought back a Polynesian who was covered in tattoos. He became an attraction for London. Even with this attraction, tattoos didn't make their mark in the west until about a hundred years later. Then in the late 1700's, another sailor brought another heavily tattooed man, another Polynesian, this man stuck with the British public and soon people were getting tattoos, but in very discreet areas. At last, the art of tattooing finally came to America in the early 1900's in New York. After the depression on the late 1920's and early 1930's, the center for tattooing was in New Jersey in Coney Island. Now in our day of age, tattooing is everywhere and is rapidly gaining speed for being an actual artform.[/Quote]

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Can Some One Translate The Following Words From English To Edo/ Bini Language / Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. / African Woman Living In American

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.