Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,175 members, 7,821,982 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:33 PM

My Experience Trying To Scan A Hyundai Accent - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Experience Trying To Scan A Hyundai Accent (1038 Views)

Man Crashed A 3-wheeled Car With A Gyrocopter While Trying To Make It Fly / What The Warning Symbols Flashing On Your Car's Dashboard Is Trying To Tell You / Where Can I Scan A 1996 Toyota Camry? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience Trying To Scan A Hyundai Accent by Piyke: 1:57pm On Feb 13, 2016
So I was at my mechanic quite recently and he asked me to help him scan one 2010 Accent which was having an occasional vibration at idle. The Car would also hesitate sometimes when the throttle is called upon.

Well, the car had no CEL and since I had confirmed the CEL bulb wasn't removed, I decided to run livedata to take a look at fuel trims and at least try to rule out fuel supply issues, vacuum leak etc.

Fastfoward. I hook up my scanner, run a manufacturer level scan as expected no codes. I then proceeded to take a look at STFT and LTFT but the car remained in Open loop. I just started the car, so I felt it's still warming up but alas it remained so after 5-10mins. This was odd to me as my Accord would hit closed loop at the blink of an eye after startup.

I then decided we should take it for a spin to help it "heat up" . Holding the scanner while the mechanic drove, it still refused to come out of open loop. We drove maybe almost about a km, but I was on a schedule and had to move on.

Bottom line I didn't read the fuel trims.

This was quite surprising to me, but my plausible explanation is that the car probably does not use heated O2 sensors thus requiring a long warm up time before the the O2 sensors become active and then provide the data for the car to enter closed loop.

Any thoughts?
Re: My Experience Trying To Scan A Hyundai Accent by MrImole: 2:15pm On Feb 13, 2016
Are you sure this story was never written by anyone?
Re: My Experience Trying To Scan A Hyundai Accent by kakameks: 2:32pm On Feb 13, 2016
It could be a case of a "lazy" oxygen sensor. It is not bad enough to throw-up a CEL but not sending the right reading for the right fuel-air mix.

Try reading the sensor voltage to rule this possibility out.
Re: My Experience Trying To Scan A Hyundai Accent by Piyke: 3:38pm On Feb 13, 2016
MrImole:
Are you sure this story was never written by anyone?

I don't plagiarise. You are free to google and search for this all over the web
Re: My Experience Trying To Scan A Hyundai Accent by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:17pm On Feb 13, 2016
Piyke:
So I was at my mechanic quite recently and he asked me to help him scan one 2010 Accent which was having an occasional vibration at idle. The Car would also hesitate sometimes when the throttle is called upon.

Well, the car had no CEL and since I had confirmed the CEL bulb wasn't removed, I decided to run livedata to take a look at fuel trims and at least try to rule out fuel supply issues, vacuum leak etc.

Fastfoward. I hook up my scanner, run a manufacturer level scan as expected no codes. I then proceeded to take a look at STFT and LTFT but the car remained in Open loop. I just started the car, so I felt it's still warming up but alas it remained so after 5-10mins. This was odd to me as my Accord would hit closed loop at the blink of an eye after startup.

I then decided we should take it for a spin to help it "heat up" . Holding the scanner while the mechanic drove, it still refused to come out of open loop. We drove maybe almost about a km, but I was on a schedule and had to move on.

Bottom line I didn't read the fuel trims.

This was quite surprising to me, but my plausible explanation is that the car probably does not use heated O2 sensors thus requiring a long warm up time before the the O2 sensors become active and then provide the data for the car to enter closed loop.

Any thoughts?

kia, hyundai from Korea up to 2010 (what iv noticed) do not come with O2 sensors Just a simulation. Funny thing is they have great fuel economy. Another crapy thing is the check light is very useless, you can unhook a major electrical part and it will not turn on the check light. Strange manufacturer.
Re: My Experience Trying To Scan A Hyundai Accent by Piyke: 6:13pm On Feb 13, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

kia, hyundai from Korea up to 2010 (what iv noticed) do not come with O2 sensors Just a simulation. Funny thing is they have great fuel economy. Another crapy thing is the check light is very useless, you can unhook a major electrical part and it will not turn on the check light. Strange manufacturer.

No wonder! Thanks Boss. Quite surprising and good to know. Thanks again.
Re: My Experience Trying To Scan A Hyundai Accent by mayor2013: 6:50pm On Feb 13, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

We should also consider that there are majority of difference btw the foreign manufactured Hyundai and kia vs the naija assembled ones.

Number 1 - lambda sensor

Number 2 - catalytic converter

Numbe 3 - immobiliser

Feel free to add more
Re: My Experience Trying To Scan A Hyundai Accent by sultaan(m): 7:30pm On Feb 13, 2016
O2 for the car I checked are heated

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/hyundai,2010,elantra,2.0l+l4,1444686,emission,oxygen+(o2)+sensor,5132

I might be one of those skeleton models made for Nigerian market so it might have CEL but you don't know if it has that capability unless you trigger one by disconnecting a cylinder to cause misfire.

Case sounds like a misfire, but if the CEL actually works it is a case of either air or fuel starvation if there is spark.

Start with air first looking for vacuum leaks spray some aerosol(hairspray) around vacuum lines and listen for sound/idle change

If none tell mech to check fuel pressure at injector rail read it at idle and WOT to see if it maintains pressure if theat fails replace filter first(not wash) the fuel pump

I know it is not your car but this diagnosis applies to a lot of users
Re: My Experience Trying To Scan A Hyundai Accent by Piyke: 8:20pm On Feb 13, 2016
sultaan:
O2 for the car I checked are heated

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/hyundai,2010,elantra,2.0l+l4,1444686,emission,oxygen+(o2)+sensor,5132

I might be one of those skeleton models made for Nigerian market so it might have CEL but you don't know if it has that capability unless you trigger one by disconnecting a cylinder to cause misfire.

Case sounds like a misfire, but if the CEL actually works it is a case of either air or fuel starvation if there is spark.

Start with air first looking for vacuum leaks spray some aerosol(hairspray) around vacuum lines and listen for sound/idle change

If none tell mech to check fuel pressure at injector rail read it at idle and WOT to see if it maintains pressure if theat fails replace filter first(not wash) the fuel pump

I know it is not your car but this diagnosis applies to a lot of users

This happened about a month ago sef and I didn't really have the time to spend on the car. I'm leaning more towards Gazzuzz's explanation as the rockauto inventory for Hyundai only stocks American, Canadian and European specs and not Korean. I think the emission laws in America would not allow a car to run without O2 sensors (not sure though).
Would have been nice to have had more time with the car.

(1) (Reply)

Woman Who Killed Abuja Biker And Alleged Cover Up By Nigeian Police. / How Much Does A Brand New Car Cost? / Cars Needed For Daily Hiring

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.