Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,662 members, 7,959,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 09:04 AM

Can You Be Jailed If You Shoot An Armed Robber For Trying To Rob You? - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Can You Be Jailed If You Shoot An Armed Robber For Trying To Rob You? (2124 Views)

Doctor Fights Policeman Who Called Him An Armed Robber / Man Fights Armed Robber For Stealing Girlfriend’s Phone, Collects His Gun / Policeman Enters Inside A Gutter To Kill An Armed Robber In Port-harcourt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Be Jailed If You Shoot An Armed Robber For Trying To Rob You? by Nobody: 11:33pm On Feb 13, 2016
Nairalanders please help me answer this:

Assuming I have an unlicensed shotgun.

And an armed robber (a thief with a loaded gun) comes to my house at night and I shoot him to death for trying to rob me and rape my wife and daughters.

And also I have the whole incidence recorded with my security camera (or ordinary camera)...

And also the moment I notice that the armed robber was entering my house, I called the police but as you know Nigerian police they arrived 45 minutes after I placed the distressed call...

Would I go to jail for shooting an armed robber or for having an unlicensed gun? Please taking into consideration that the armed robber might have killed me and raped my wife and daughters in my presence.

Lawyers in the house please what are your opinions on this?
Re: Can You Be Jailed If You Shoot An Armed Robber For Trying To Rob You? by ichommy(m): 11:48pm On Feb 13, 2016
So OP, you don kill one Thief? Back to topic.

Am not a lawyer, but::::::::

1. You have an Unlicense gun.

2. I think the CCTV will be your witness, which shows the Ole cheesy trying to climb Madam.

3. I think its Self defence.

*Drop Mic*
Re: Can You Be Jailed If You Shoot An Armed Robber For Trying To Rob You? by lurex2rhyme(m): 11:51pm On Feb 13, 2016
is d any law or license in Nigeria dat permits u to carry or hv a gun is u r nt an arm force agent. on ur question it depends on ur counsel try olanikpeun san or Joseph duada san d jxt find a way n label it on self defense.

tankz to my nl follower my story teller n all d mods I dedicate d ftc to u guyz
Re: Can You Be Jailed If You Shoot An Armed Robber For Trying To Rob You? by Kenzico(m): 12:04am On Feb 14, 2016
The case will be tried but you won't be jailed
Re: Can You Be Jailed If You Shoot An Armed Robber For Trying To Rob You? by Nobody: 12:05am On Feb 14, 2016
For now, the IG of police has stopped issuing gun licenses... but that has not stopped armed robbers from wrecking serious havoc. The evidence is that:

1.) I placed a call when the armed robber was entering - phone log.
2.) I have the whole thing recorded on security camera
3.) The robber in question was armed with a loaded gun

lurex2rhyme:
is d any law or license in Nigeria dat permits u to carry or hv a gun is u r nt an arm force agent. on ur question it depends on ur counsel try olanikpeun san or Joseph duada san d jxt find a way n label it on self defense.

tankz to my nl follower my story teller n all d mods I dedicate d ftc to u guyz
Re: Can You Be Jailed If You Shoot An Armed Robber For Trying To Rob You? by lurex2rhyme(m): 12:16am On Feb 14, 2016
teeowl:
For now, the IG of police has stopped issuing gun licenses... but that has not stopped armed robbers from wrecking serious havoc. The evidence is that:

1.) I placed a call when the armed robber was entering - phone log.
2.) I have the whole thing recorded on security camera
3.) The robber in question was armed with a loaded gun

toh I grab d gist bt d interpretation might not be wat it seems according to d prosecuting counsel. law sometimes is funny. sha depending on wat u r being charge 4 weda murder or illegal possession of fire arm
Re: Can You Be Jailed If You Shoot An Armed Robber For Trying To Rob You? by Nobody: 12:31am On Feb 14, 2016
is there not something like a fundamental right to preserve my life or something... when some clearly has the intention and the means to kill me and my family... i wonder why the police would even take it to court?
lurex2rhyme:

toh I grab d gist bt d interpretation might not be wat it seems according to d prosecuting counsel. law sometimes is funny. sha depending on wat u r being charge 4 weda murder or illegal possession of fire arm
Re: Can You Be Jailed If You Shoot An Armed Robber For Trying To Rob You? by bloodykiller: 12:48am On Feb 14, 2016
@ op am not a lawyer but you'll only be charged for one case which may land you to jail and it's illegal possession of arms and ammunition punishable by law but with a good lawyer like that Wike's lawyer your jail term or bail amount will be shorter.

but as for killing the thief there's no case here you don't even need that CCTv because it's a typical kill or get killed (self defense)

I'll advice you to also go illegal with the case meet the DPO one and one narrate your incident and show him proof to convince him, submit your gun to them since e don cast by shooting and killing the bastard thief.

or
as for the bastard thief you can frame him up since he's dead just say that you killed him with his gun after overpowering him and you'll be believed since he attacked your home
just forget about the CCTv camera because it will complicate the whole issue
Re: Can You Be Jailed If You Shoot An Armed Robber For Trying To Rob You? by DIKEnaWAR: 12:53am On Feb 14, 2016
You will be charged for illegal possession of firearms shikinan!

One is permitted to kill in defence of life or property.

1 Like

Re: Can You Be Jailed If You Shoot An Armed Robber For Trying To Rob You? by omanzo02: 1:02am On Feb 14, 2016
The police will charge u for unlawful possession of firearm, with a good defence u can get away with it.
The armed robber is trespasser into your property or property u rented, he threaten to terminate your life and threat to your personal property, in defence u can use anything available to u to defend yourself and eventually kill him in the process. U don't need recording proof to defend yourself in such case, document of your property, rent receipt or proof residence can prove he is trespasser.

grin grin
Re: Can You Be Jailed If You Shoot An Armed Robber For Trying To Rob You? by theshaderoom: 3:14am On Feb 14, 2016
DIKEnaWAR:
You will be charged for illegal possession of firearms shikinan!

One is permitted to kill in defence of life or property.

Gbam!
Re: Can You Be Jailed If You Shoot An Armed Robber For Trying To Rob You? by apeda73(m): 6:11pm On Feb 14, 2016
I don't think there is any law in nigeria,if there is,it only on poor people,if u have ur money,if u kill somebody infrount of police station,they will say it is a mistake,but if u don't have ur money,if u mistakely slap somebody,they will begin speaking english not found in dictonary,if care is not taking.jail is awaitting.they say no gun,but big man are using it,but if they see local made from old man using for hunting.they will arrest him

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Young Man Goes Nak£d After Using His Clothes To Bet (video) / Twitter User Comes After A Hookup Girl Who Stole His 6 Million Naira Watch / POLICE BRUTALITY : Young Man's Head Busted With A Baseball Bat By The Police!! B

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.