Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,964 members, 7,821,383 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:16 PM

Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS); Causes, Symptoms And Treatment - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS); Causes, Symptoms And Treatment (709 Views)

4-Year-Old Girl Suffers Nephrotic Syndrome In Kaduna. Photo / Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment / Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS) Is In Nigeria, Kills One, Another Hospitalized (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS); Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by janzguy: 8:12am On Feb 14, 2016
Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS); Causes, Symptoms And Treatment

A week or two before your menstruation begins, you may notice bloating, headaches, mood swings or other physical and emotional changes. These monthly symptoms are known as premenstrual syndrome or P.M.S.
Premenstrual syndrome is a medical condition which symptoms affect many women of child bearing age.

P.M.S can cause a variety of physical and psychological symptoms that occur just before your menstrual period.

The American college of obstetrics and cynecology defines P.M.S as "the cyclic occurrence of symptoms that are sufficiently severe to interface with some aspects of life and that appear with consistent and predictable relationships to the menses (menstrual period).

WHAT CAUSES P.M.S?
The exact cause of PMS is unknown but it seems to be related to the fluctuating levels of hormones, including estrogen and progesterone, that occur in preparation for menstruation.

WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF P.M.S?
There are many PMS symptoms. The number and severity of symptoms vary from woman to woman. In addition, the severity of the symptom can vary from each month.

Common PMS symptoms includes:
*Bloating
*Breast tenderness
*Waist and abdominal pain
*Diarrhea
*Aggression
*Sensitivity to light or sound
*Trouble with concentrating
*Changes in sleeping pattern
*Headaches
*Back aches
*Joint aches
*Food craving (over eating)
*Crying spells
*Fatigue
*Irritability
*Anxiety
*Mood Swing and or depression.

Up to 85% of menstruating women experience some of these symptoms related to their period, while only 2% - 10% experience severe symptoms.

IS THERE A TREATMENT FOR P.M.S?
P.M.S treatment is based on relieving symptoms. Treatment begins with a thorough assessment of your symptoms and their impact on your daily life. Treatments for P.M.S include the following:

1. Exercise Regularly: Each week you should get.
*Two hours and thirty minutes intensive physical activity.
*Muscle-strengthening activities on two or more days.
*Plenty of exercise helps to decrease bloating and improve your mental health.

2. Nutrition: Eating balanced diet helps to improve your overall health and energy level. Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains as they help reduce or avoid the intake of sugar, salt, caffeine and alcohol, especially when you are having P.M.S symptoms.

3. Get enough rest: Try to get at least eight hour each night to improve fatigue.

4. Drink plenty of fluids to ease abdominal bloating.

5. Talk about it with family, friends or partner: It may help them to understand how you are feeling. It may be best to do this after your period when symptoms have eased.
Find healthy ways to cope with stress, write in a journal. Some women also find yoga massage helpful.

6. Don't smoke

7. Take supplements such as folic acid, vitamins B6, calcium and magnesium to reduce tommy cramps and mood swings.

Over the counter pain relieves may help ease physical symptoms such as tommy cramps, headaches, backaches
and breast tenderness. These includes:

*Asprin

*Ibuprofen (eye-byu-proit-fuhn) (for instance Advil motion, midol cramp)

*Ketroprofen (key-ton-proh-fuhny (for instance, Drudis KT)

*Naproken (Nah-prok-suh-) (For instance Aleve)

In more cases severe cases of pain, prescription of medicine may be used to ease Symptoms. One approach has been to use drugs that skip ovulation such as birth control pills.

Women on the pill report fewer P.M.S symptoms as well as lighter periods.

Researchers continue to search for new ways to treat P.M.S.

Source: www.divineloveudorji..co.ke/2016/02/premenstrual-syndrome-pms.html?m=1
Re: Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS); Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by katerinalia: 2:36pm On Mar 15, 2016
Why men can not understand that it is not like a poor excuse of our irritability or annoyance. PMS really exits, and do they really think that we are happy to suffer from it to have a reason to cry at them? I always quarrel with my loved ones diring this period, and moreover headache and low blood preassure aggravate my condition even more. It is so saaad(((

(1) (Reply)

Help Please, I Do Know It's A Dream When I'm Dreaming / Is This A Health Challenge? / I Am Pregnant,can I Take Alcohol?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.