Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,838 members, 7,820,919 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:04 AM

Calling An Unmarried Man Baba Somebody - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Calling An Unmarried Man Baba Somebody (763 Views)

Pregnant And Unmarried To An Igbo Nigerian Man / Shahida Sanusi, Abdul Baba Ahmed, Her Husband And Their Daughter (Photos) / Asiri Ogun Awon Baba Wa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Calling An Unmarried Man Baba Somebody by layin: 5:43am On Feb 15, 2016
Here's my question: Is it yoruba culture to call an unmarried man by the name of a child that was born out of wedlock? Also, when the guy gets married to someone other than the mother of the child, is it polite to refer to him as baba lagbaja while speaking to his wife?
Re: Calling An Unmarried Man Baba Somebody by layin: 3:07pm On Feb 15, 2016
Common guys, I know you guys are reading the question. can someone be kind enough to answer? Please...pretty please... just need to know
Re: Calling An Unmarried Man Baba Somebody by Cuddlebugie(f): 5:50pm On Feb 15, 2016
A quick question for you
Are you yoruba?
Re: Calling An Unmarried Man Baba Somebody by layin: 2:53am On Feb 16, 2016
Partly. I was born and raised in the north though.
Re: Calling An Unmarried Man Baba Somebody by Cuddlebugie(f): 12:04pm On Feb 17, 2016
There is nothing like "partly". It's either you're yoruba or not

Back to your question, it's not a yoruba thing to attach to unmarried men the names of their babies. I don't know where you got that from

Even if the names of their "bastards" are attached to theirs, what's the big deal?
Re: Calling An Unmarried Man Baba Somebody by layin: 11:56am On Feb 21, 2016
Thank you for taking time to respond. My mum is Yoruba so I am partly Yoruba. My dad is Igala and I embrace that as well. I thought it was strange to refer to a young unmarried man as "babaa someone" but I also thought it was insensitive and disrespectful to do so while addressing his new bride. That's why I asked the question to get a sense of where the lady was coming from. Also, while I appreciate your time and response, I just want to point out that there is no need for name calling. The young child didn't need to be referred to as a bastard. But thanks again.

(1) (Reply)

10 Signs To Know You Are Wasting Life / Pls Be Prayerful. They Are Everywhere Even On Logos / 10 Reasons Why Tribalism Will Never Cease On Nairaland! (NCAN)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.