Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,464 members, 7,816,087 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:44 AM

Yorubas And Slave Trade - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yorubas And Slave Trade (5258 Views)

Do Yorubas And Hausas Do Masqurades Like The Igbos/Ibibios? / Islamic Slave Trade In Africa (pics) / How Many Of You Know About The Somali Slave Trade Of Blacks? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yorubas And Slave Trade by peacengine(m): 7:19am On Feb 15, 2016
Can someone explain why slave trade thrived in Yoruba land more than any where else in the country? Why did they sell their people to the whites so easily?
Re: Yorubas And Slave Trade by funmijoyb(f): 7:41am On Feb 15, 2016
peacengine:
Can someone explain why slave trade thrived in Yoruba land more than any where Nigeria else in the country? Why did they sell their people to the whites so easily?
can somone tell me why ur tribe are d new modern slave in the southwest region looking for opportunity to invade. changing their name to yoruba names and stealing yoruba culture?

5 Likes

Re: Yorubas And Slave Trade by crazyabbey(m): 7:42am On Feb 15, 2016
They are crazy! angry

1 Like

Re: Yorubas And Slave Trade by Nobody: 7:47am On Feb 15, 2016
funmijoyb:

can somone tell me why ur tribe are d new modern slave in the southwest region looking for opportunity to invade. changing their name to yoruba names and stealing yoruba culture?

Do you mind him?? And who told him that his tribe his excluded?

Don't mind him, he is suffering from lack of knowledge.
Re: Yorubas And Slave Trade by akuracy(m): 10:50am On Feb 15, 2016
funmijoyb:

Thank you. The op is suffering from lack of information. He just wants to talk and talk
Re: Yorubas And Slave Trade by bigfrancis21: 11:01pm On Feb 16, 2016
peacengine:
Can someone explain why slave trade thrived in Yoruba land more than any where Nigeria else in the country? Why did they sell their people to the whites so easily?

On the contrary, the Yorubas did not send the most number of slaves of all tribes during the Atlantic slave trade. From figures obtained so far, Yorubas were among the least number of slaves sold, totalling about 600,000 slaves sold, under 1 million. Therefore, why the prominence of Yoruba culture in the diaspora? 2 major factors have been identified. First, slave trade involving the Yorubas did not peak until towards the ending of the slave trade. Figures show that Yorubas were bought more around the late 1700s and early 1800s, just at about the abolishment of the slave trade. Thus, the Yoruba slaves sold at this time arrived the Caribbean to meet earlier sold slaves, many who were native-born already, who had been acculturated in name, language, customs etc. to their new environment and had lost ties to their African origin. The Yorubas still being fresh from Africa and very much in tune with their traditions were able to establish their religion, and being the last of African traditions to be established, this ensured the survival of Yoruba elements more than other tribes. The other tribes willingly participated in Yoruba religions as a way of connecting back to 'mama africa'. Second, the Yorubas, Ewes, Fon etc. from the Gold Coast were preferred more by the Portuguese and taken especially to Latin America (Brazil, Cuba etc.) and the Portuguese slave traders were known to be more lenient towards their slaves than the English (who preferred Congolese, Igbo, Angolese slaves etc.) in allowing the slaves to practice their respective traditions, in sharp contrast to the English slave traders who made every attempt acculturate their slaves to the culture of the new world and wipe out their connection to Africa. Thus, time and chance conditions were favourable for Yoruba slaves in the diaspora to hold on to their culture. Also after the abolishment of the slave trade, a good percentage of Yoruba slaves returned to Africa, since they were still aware of where they came from. Many were able to make it back to Africa (Sierra Leone and Nigeria). Some Yoruba ex-slaves first returned to Sierra Leone and made it finally back to Nigeria. An example of returnee families like this are the Desmond Elliot family, Femi Ransome-Kuti family etc. These returnees settled mainly in Lagos state and can be easily known by their foreign family last name. Some Yoruba ex-slaves remained behind in Sierra Leone and many still bear a Yoruba first or middle name, in addition to English and Portuguese names.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yorubas And Slave Trade by absoluteSuccess: 11:48pm On Feb 16, 2016
Second time I'm hearing exotic history of the ransome kuti's.

My aunt told me another baffling one just of recent about the kuti's.

She said the name is Ransome kute, meaning 'death is hidden in the horns'.

I was dazed, really. She claimed fela's family were originally from Egun stock.

I've not confirmed that, but then fela's family were cousins with the Soyinkas.

Thanks bigfrancis. And what about radoillo? It's been a while folks.
Re: Yorubas And Slave Trade by musicwriter(m): 2:28am On Feb 17, 2016
peacengine:

First of all, nobody sold anybody. The tales of Africans selling our children is a face-saving excuse that white man implanted in the history books to justify slavery. It's normal that whenever someone commit a crime he need as an excuse why he did it. Whiteman needed an excuse as to why he engaged in slavery.

That's what mental slavery is all about and I get pissed that even so called African scholars fall for this!!. They want to get you to blame yourself for a crime they committed!!. Don't you think we would have also been wealthy, if indeed we sold people and collected cash for 400 years?. What part of Africa was developing as a result of revenue from slave trade?. Tell me.

It's un-natural for a human being to sell his/her children. Nobody gives birth to a child and start selling them in mass!. If it was a natural thing to do, then slavery would have happened all over the continents of the world and not just in Africa. Stop believing made-up history fed you by western education to justify crimes committed by Europe in Africa.

Here's a brief history of the true story of slavery.

Whiteman came to Africa for trade, and as matter of fact we've been trading with them since 1200 AD. However, our relationship took a negative turn afterwards, and under the guise of doing business white people started luring Africans to give up their children for a better life in the new world (Caribbeans and US). This's so because (the new world) America had then just been discovered and was flooded by Europeans who needed laborers to work the fields. We were told to release our children as hired laborers, and that they would be back after awhile.

Africans resisted to give up their children and tension set in between European traders and Africans. Whiteman henceforth, began pitching neighboring African communities against one another by exploiting land disputes to cause war between communities. Then, they will promise to support one community to fight their enemy. They'll then supply gun and powder, axe, e.t.c that we didn't have, because we didn't fight one another on the scale of what was known to be war in Europe then. Granted, a community may have had skirmishes with the neighboring community, but aside shooting bows and arrows, no serious war happened.

White people are still supplying arms and ammunition to nations today!. They are still directly or indirectly responsible for war happening in any country in the world today!.

War descended all over Africa and they encouraged each warring community to capture people as prisoners of war (POW). Within a short while, prisoners started pilling from tens to hundreds to thousands to millions. The slaves were prisoners of war who would be shipped directly to the Caribbean. More weapons and gifts (wine, cloth, sugar, mirror, cloth) would be supplied to the kings and elites to encourage young men to go to war with their neighbors so they could capture more prisoners of war. More wars meant more POWs and more POWs meant more slaves. Get it?. Security was promised to co-operating communities, their kings and elites was also promised more gifts. And if they refused they'll be blackmailed into doing their bidding by sheer threats like not providing them arms to protect themselves or getting your neighboring community invade you. This strategy is still being used today and has consummated into what I call ''elite brainwashing" whereby western nations get our elites to serve western interests in various African countries, even if it's at the detriment of an African nation.

Nobody was paid a dime!. There wasn't even a currency!!. All trade at that point in time was trade by barter. Otherwise, let me know what currency they paid?.

Long story short, eventually the whole of Africa turned into a war zone where one community always found themselves perpetually needing more and more arms to fight off invaders. It continued that way for over 400 years, and over time created the ethnic tensions still present in Africa today!.

And to answer your question, Yorubas are situated along the coastal region (near the sea) so it was easier to ship slaves from the nearby port just as it's still today. Also note that Yoruba wasn't just only a Nigerian geographical area then, but it extended to parts of Togo republic and Benin republic at that time, all located along the coast. Every other part of Africa suffered over time, but as you can see it's more likely those nearer the sea/shipping ports would've suffered more.

Unfortunately, geography didn't help us a lot, cause Africa is nearly surrounded by oceans. So, they pursued us no matter what direction we ran to. Specifically, South west, South South, and South East were the worst hit in Nigeria, cause as I said they're the nearest to sea.

Check out attached map of Africa and you can figure out for yourself what part of each African country was worst hit.

Map of Africa

I have spent a lot of research time looking into these things and what I'm telling you here is literally what western education don't want you to know. You can even study it with me below to be sure.

I was researching the relationship between language and learning when I stumbled upon the below youtube video. I wanted to know how learning occur when I came across the video. It was a goldmine for me finding the video. Please note that this video is not about slavery but about some marooned blackmen meeting an outsider for the first time in their lives. It didn't happen in Africa. It happened in Papua New Guinea, in Asia Pacific, and for researchers there's a lot to learn from the video.

Please watch the video below. Though they nearly killed the whiteman, but you can see how vulnerable they were after they became friends with him. You'll then begin to figure out for yourself ''why'' and ''how'' slavery happened. As I said this video isn't about slavery, but if you have a brain you'll do the maths.

Marooned men meeting someone from outside for the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd0I1xAICOc

See the true history of slavery and slave acquisition in Africa www.africason.com/2016/03/the-true-history-of-slavery-and-slave.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yorubas And Slave Trade by bigfrancis21: 2:04pm On Feb 17, 2016
absoluteSuccess:
Second time I'm hearing exotic history of the ransome kuti's.

My aunt told me another baffling one just of recent about the kuti's.

She said the name is Ransome kute, meaning 'death is hidden in the horns'.

I was dazed, really. She claimed fela's family were originally from Egun stock.

I've not confirmed that, but then fela's family were cousins with the Soyinkas.

Thanks bigfrancis. And what about radoillo? It's been a while folks.

I should have been more specific. Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti's father is a returnee from Sierra Leone.

Unfortunately, Radoillo has deactivated his account about 2 weeks ago. cry
Re: Yorubas And Slave Trade by absoluteSuccess: 5:21pm On Feb 17, 2016
bigfrancis21:

I should have been more specific. Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti's father is a returnee from Sierra Leone.

Unfortunately, Radoillo has deactivated his account about 2 weeks ago. cry

That's so bad,

he's one of the best we have here, intelligent, resourceful and hardly bias.

I will miss him.

Come back radoillo, no one can take your place brother. Think about it.

Hm, I don't know that much about the kutis o, good to know. You know so much, biggy.

2 Likes

Re: Yorubas And Slave Trade by blueAgent(m): 5:01pm On Feb 18, 2016
musicwriter:

First of all, nobody sold anybody. The tales of Africans selling our children is a face-saving excuse that white man implanted in the history books to justify slavery. It's normal that whenever someone commit a crime he need as an excuse why he did it. Whiteman needed an excuse as to why he engaged in slavery.

That's what mental slavery is all about and I get pissed that even so called African scholars fall for this!!. They want to get you to blame yourself for a crime they committed!!. Don't you think we would have also been wealthy, if indeed we sold people and collected cash for 400 years?. What part of Africa was developing as a result of revenue from slave trade?. Tell me.

It's un-natural for a human being to sell his/her children. Nobody gives birth to a child and start selling them in mass!. If it was a natural thing to do, then slavery would have happened all over the continents of the world and not just in Africa. Stop believing made-up history fed you by western education to justify crimes committed by Europe in Africa.

Here's a brief history of the true story of slavery.

Whiteman came to Africa for trade, and as matter of fact we've been trading with them since 1200 AD. However, our relationship took a negative turn afterwards, and under the guise of doing business white people started luring Africans to give up their children for a better life in the new world (Caribbeans and US). This's so because (the new world) America had then just been discovered and was flooded by Europeans who needed laborers to work the fields. We were told to release our children as hired laborers, and that they would be back after awhile.

Africans resisted to give up their children and tension set in between European traders and Africans. Whiteman henceforth, began pitching neighboring African communities against one another by exploiting land disputes to cause war between communities. Then, they will promise to support one community to fight their enemy. They'll then supply gun and powder, axe, e.t.c that we didn't have, because we didn't fight one another on the scale of what was known to be war in Europe then. Granted, a community may have had skirmishes with the neighboring community, but aside shooting bows and arrows, no serious war happened.

White people are still supplying arms and ammunition to nations today!. They are still directly or indirectly responsible for war happening in any country in the world today!.

War descended all over Africa and they encouraged each warring community to capture people as prisoners of war (POW). Within a short while, prisoners started pilling from tens to hundreds to thousands to millions. The slaves were prisoners of war who would be shipped directly to the Caribbean. More weapons and gifts (wine, cloth, sugar, mirror, cloth) would be supplied to the kings and elites to encourage young men to go to war with their neighbors so they could capture more prisoners of war. More wars meant more POWs and more POWs meant more slaves. Get it?. Security was promised to co-operating communities, their kings and elites was also promised more gifts. And if they refused they'll be blackmailed into doing their bidding by sheer threats like not providing them arms to protect themselves or getting your neighboring community invade you. This strategy is still being used today and has consummated into what I call ''elite brainwashing" whereby western nations get our elites to serve western interests in various African countries, even if it's at the detriment of an African nation.

Nobody was paid a dime!. There wasn't even a currency!!. All trade at that point in time was trade by barter. Otherwise, let me know what currency they paid?.

Long story short, eventually the whole of Africa turned into a war zone where one community always found themselves perpetually needing more and more arms to fight off invaders. It continued that way for over 400 years, and over time created the ethnic tensions still present in Africa today!.

And to answer your question, Yorubas are situated along the coastal region (near the sea) so it was easier to ship slaves from the nearby port just as it's still today. Also note that Yoruba wasn't just only a Nigerian geographical area then, but it extended to parts of Togo republic and Benin republic at that time, all located along the coast. Every other part of Africa suffered over time, but as you can see it's more likely those nearer the sea/shipping ports would've suffered more.

Unfortunately, geography didn't help us a lot, cause Africa is nearly surrounded by oceans. So, they pursued us no matter what direction we ran to. Specifically, South west, South South, and South East were the worst hit in Nigeria, cause as I said they're the nearest to sea.

Check out attached map of Africa and you can figure out for yourself what part of each African country was worst hit.

Map of Africa

I have spent a lot of research time looking into these things and what I'm telling you here is literally what western education don't want you to know. You can even study it with me below to be sure.

I was researching the relationship between language and learning when I stumbled upon the below youtube video. I wanted to know how learning occur when I came across the video. It was a goldmine for me finding the video. Please note that this video is not about slavery but about some marooned blackmen meeting an outsider for the first time in their lives. It didn't happen in Africa. It happened in Papua New Guinea, in Asia Pacific, and for researchers there's a lot to learn from the video.

Please watch the video below. Though they nearly killed the whiteman, but you can see how vulnerable they were after they became friends with him. You'll then begin to figure out for yourself ''why'' and ''how'' slavery happened. As I said this video isn't about slavery, but if you have a brain you'll do the maths.

Marooned men meeting someone from outside for the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd0I1xAICOc

come on Shut up their liar. the same Africans that spend more money visting native doctor against their on blood brother or kinsman becos of envy. Africans will sharply sell their brother for as little as a snuff.

it took the white man 100more years after slavary was outlawed in European and white countries to convince and stop Africans from selling themselves into slavary .

look blacks are just wicked to themselves and that is what is playing out now in our villages kinsmen wahala. politics (selfish politicians) and also part of what inspired slave trade.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Oladunwo Masquerade Of Okemesi Ekiti - Ekiti State Of Nigeria / How The Igbos Falsely Claimed Olaudah Equaino / Looking For A Calabar Translator

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.