Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:48 AM

10 Fascinating Facts About The Moon You Probably May Not Know!!! - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / 10 Fascinating Facts About The Moon You Probably May Not Know!!! (31388 Views)

Fascinating Images Captures The Power And Scale Of Sea Vessels Around The World / What Will The Sky Look Like If Planets Were As Close To Us As The Moon? / Extreme Military Engineering: Fascinating Facts About Aircraft Carriers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Fascinating Facts About The Moon You Probably May Not Know!!! by madidi(m): 7:33pm On Feb 16, 2016
nice up pal,I have learnt alot
Re: 10 Fascinating Facts About The Moon You Probably May Not Know!!! by Nobody: 7:54pm On Feb 16, 2016
Psylas:
I love science

I love God more.
Re: 10 Fascinating Facts About The Moon You Probably May Not Know!!! by johnydon22(m): 8:23pm On Feb 16, 2016
LoJ:

I think we shoud stop bashing the mods. Yes the vast majority of FP topics are celebrities and gossip oriented. Still, They are gradually trying to get some relevant scientific topics to the FP. Bashing them relentlessly won't help our cause, but rather may upset them. The ball is now in our court to create more and more instructive topics, written and elaborated in a way that appeals to the common individual, not just those accustomed to the scientific jargon/lexicon.

And that's what Johnydon22 is trying to do. We should join in and team up with the mods to promote science in nairaland and Africa.

Greetings.
Yes my brother you are correct, this is what i want to do.. i want to promote science here on NL and every other platform available.

we Africans are being too nonchalant towards science and so it seems the rest of the world is leaving us behind.

we need all the help we can get to promote scientific knowledge and thirst in Africa.. i thank the mods for the attention they are beginning to accord the science section.

I implore Seun lalasticlala UjSizzle mynd44 and others to help us archive this.

make the section a very interesting an rich section in terms of the enlightenment it will offer and as such steer more people to this section.

I intend to dabble into topics on Biology, Chemistry and theoretical physics not just astronomical physics and even a bit of mathematics...

But astronomy keeps things colourful and fun actually

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Fascinating Facts About The Moon You Probably May Not Know!!! by Liljeez(m): 8:36pm On Feb 16, 2016
johnydon22:

But astronomy keeps things colourful and fun actually
infact..u got it right dere
Re: 10 Fascinating Facts About The Moon You Probably May Not Know!!! by BrightEye(m): 8:43pm On Feb 16, 2016
antispexish:

you think we are tiny? Go read about the "pillars of creation" and u'll see that that tiny is too big a word to use for our size

lol.... that's funny.
Re: 10 Fascinating Facts About The Moon You Probably May Not Know!!! by Abukc(m): 9:13pm On Feb 16, 2016
I hate science and fiction,coz they are base on lie lie things.moreover they tress pass beyond ALMIGHTY boundryy.
Re: 10 Fascinating Facts About The Moon You Probably May Not Know!!! by merxi55(f): 9:29pm On Feb 16, 2016
johnydon22:
Yes she is one of the most popular celestial objects in the sky, graces our night sky like a patch of glowing ball.

Lunar is the name of the Earth's only natural satellite called a Moon.

She is so important to us that we have a day specially named after it. Monday (Moon day).

She is deified as a Goddess to many cultures, one of the determining clock hands of our time measurement and a very fascinating celestial neighbour she is to us.

All of us have seen the moon, in fact we have spent countless nights mopping at it and imagining what actually that is, it has been a subject of our imaginations and lores as children.

Now let us quickly run through several facts about our dear Lunar to get to know her more
this is not for the children of God...
Re: 10 Fascinating Facts About The Moon You Probably May Not Know!!! by johnydon22(m): 9:40pm On Feb 16, 2016
merxi55:
this is not for the children of God...
God has a thing against science?
Re: 10 Fascinating Facts About The Moon You Probably May Not Know!!! by Osirimononaye(m): 10:35pm On Feb 16, 2016
johnydon22:
No sir. . Explorer is a different person, i deal specifically on Science topics
Bro u're awesome...is there any book i can buy that'll enlighten me on this astro voodoo weirdoo stuff?? Am intrested.
Re: 10 Fascinating Facts About The Moon You Probably May Not Know!!! by johnydon22(m): 10:45pm On Feb 16, 2016
Osirimononaye:

Bro u're awesome...is there any book i can buy that'll enlighten me on this astro voodoo weirdoo stuff?? Am intrested.
Voodoo? Naaaah i don't know about that and i am sceptical on things like voodoo, spirits and all other claims of SUPERnatural. .

But if you mean books on Astronomical knowledge then there's a lot of them you can buy or download
Re: 10 Fascinating Facts About The Moon You Probably May Not Know!!! by Osirimononaye(m): 11:10pm On Feb 16, 2016
johnydon22:
Voodoo? Naaaah i don't know about that and i am sceptical on things like voodoo, spirits and all other claims of SUPERnatural. .

But if you mean books on Astronomical knowledge then there's a lot of them you can buy or download
lol i mean astro books...pls can u name'em few?
Re: 10 Fascinating Facts About The Moon You Probably May Not Know!!! by johnydon22(m): 11:14pm On Feb 16, 2016
Osirimononaye:

lol i mean astro books...pls can u name'em few?
Hahahaha you got me there..

Space Encyclopedia ..
Re: 10 Fascinating Facts About The Moon You Probably May Not Know!!! by Osirimononaye(m): 11:59pm On Feb 16, 2016
johnydon22:
Hahahaha you got me there..
Space Encyclopedia ..
*Mouth Opens*.....Space En-Cy-Clo-Pe-Dia bet why na
Re: 10 Fascinating Facts About The Moon You Probably May Not Know!!! by johnydon22(m): 12:04am On Feb 17, 2016
Osirimononaye:
*Mouth Opens*.....Space En-Cy-Clo-Pe-Dia bet why na
You can download e-books online too
Re: 10 Fascinating Facts About The Moon You Probably May Not Know!!! by Psylas(m): 12:07am On Feb 17, 2016
NORAD:

I love God more.
But God does not love you

think about it
Re: 10 Fascinating Facts About The Moon You Probably May Not Know!!! by Psylas(m): 12:11am On Feb 17, 2016
johnydon22:

is it the same with PDF Reader
Re: 10 Fascinating Facts About The Moon You Probably May Not Know!!! by johnydon22(m): 1:07am On Feb 17, 2016
Psylas:
is it the same with PDF Reader
Yeah.. PDF, Doc etc are all formats of e-book
Re: 10 Fascinating Facts About The Moon You Probably May Not Know!!! by Nobody: 8:36am On Feb 17, 2016
Psylas:
But God does not love you

think about it

Speak for yourself. undecided
Re: 10 Fascinating Facts About The Moon You Probably May Not Know!!! by CltrAltDelicious(m): 8:52am On Feb 17, 2016
Abukc:
I hate science and fiction,coz they are base on lie lie things.moreover they tress pass beyond ALMIGHTY boundryy.
Amd yourr holy book has the facts
Re: 10 Fascinating Facts About The Moon You Probably May Not Know!!! by Psylas(m): 9:30am On Feb 17, 2016

Speak for yourself. undecided
that's just the truth,
Re: 10 Fascinating Facts About The Moon You Probably May Not Know!!! by Osirimononaye(m): 10:07am On Feb 17, 2016
johnydon22:
Aiit Thank You... God bless
Re: 10 Fascinating Facts About The Moon You Probably May Not Know!!! by ODUBEZE: 11:32am On Feb 17, 2016
johnydon22:
[b]2. The moon is as bright as Coal

WTFshocked!!!

Did i hear you say that? Yeah thats what we all are supposed to say to this one..
I mean we all see this glowing ball brightly throwing down silvery rays of a shadowy beam.

But in actuality the moon is a very very very Dark object not even brighter than a Coal.

The light we get from the moon has nothing to do with the moon, the moon has no light at all but rather acts as a reflective plate for the sunlight it gets from the sun..

You must have noticed that during a crescent or half moon you can see the remaining outline of the full moon but it remains pitch dark, that is because that side is shielded from direct sunlight.

Or during an eclipse the moon becomes a fully mean ominous dark opaque object to us.

So without light from the sun hitting the moon, it is just one pitch black piece of coal..

Even with as much sunlight as it gets the moon has a very poor reflective ability that it only reflects 12% maximum of all the light it gets from the sun, compare this with Venus that reflects almost 75%.

If Venus was as close to us as the moon, our nights would just be like evening because Venus is way too bright no wonder it is called the morning sun, when do we get to sleep if that was the case?grin

The earth is by far brighter than the moon, the earth reflects more than 55% of the sun light it gets.. so the earth is more than 7times brighter than the moon.

So the moon is not a light and so doesn't shine it only reflects a very poor amount of sunlight it gets..
[/b]
very informative
Re: 10 Fascinating Facts About The Moon You Probably May Not Know!!! by Abukc(m): 2:00pm On Feb 17, 2016
CltrAltDelicious:

Amd yourr holy book has the facts
. Which of the holy book
Re: 10 Fascinating Facts About The Moon You Probably May Not Know!!! by Dawdy(m): 2:36pm On Feb 17, 2016
Nobody has ever been to the moon. NASA has not been able to capture the earth, just animated photos have been shown to you. Gravity remains unproven theory. Earth is not spinning around the sun. All are lies By Nasa.
Re: 10 Fascinating Facts About The Moon You Probably May Not Know!!! by merxi55(f): 3:28pm On Feb 17, 2016
I checked my result and computed my Gp,it was 4.0925...am so so happy. Please thank God with me
Re: 10 Fascinating Facts About The Moon You Probably May Not Know!!! by Liljeez(m): 7:15pm On Feb 18, 2016
Dawdy:
Nobody has ever been to the moon. NASA has not been able to capture the earth, just animated photos have been shown to you. Gravity remains unproven theory. Earth is not spinning around the sun. All are lies By Nasa.
u must be in the 10th century
Re: 10 Fascinating Facts About The Moon You Probably May Not Know!!! by fayahsoul: 6:27pm On Feb 20, 2016
Neither the op nor any commentator have been to the moon so it's quite amusing how information propagated by nasa and co are generally accepted as fact. How do we prove the conventional theory of the origin of the moon as stated by the op? has man really been to the moon? is the moon actually a natural celestial body or a spaceship? if gravity is constant then why should the moon be drifting apart? what's on the dark side of the moon? what is the story behind the asteriod belt? are humans autochthonous to earth or are we aliens from another planet? why does most of african oral tradition mention an extraterrestial origin of our founding populations? yea too many questions. We all need to thread with caution when dealing with information that is not part of our experience. To know is to experience. Peace to the gods of the earth.
Re: 10 Fascinating Facts About The Moon You Probably May Not Know!!! by Culin(f): 11:35pm On Dec 12, 2016
wow! educative..and scary
Re: 10 Fascinating Facts About The Moon You Probably May Not Know!!! by johnydon22(m): 12:57pm On Jan 26, 2017
Culin:
wow! educative..and scary
there is something ominously scary about nature herself
Re: 10 Fascinating Facts About The Moon You Probably May Not Know!!! by mojeer678: 8:55pm On Jan 26, 2017
Tenison96:
Epic Thread

What's epic about a regurgitated narrative full of errors and plain untruths.

What manned mission went to the moon? How NASA mooned the US has been dealt with on NL several times. Maybe you're only a nwebie, sorry then grin

FYI, the moon was towed here from elsewhere and it's completely hollow, et.c.

But what would you do with these info?

smh
Re: 10 Fascinating Facts About The Moon You Probably May Not Know!!! by johnydon22(m): 9:01pm On Jan 26, 2017
mojeer678:

What's epic about a regurgitated narrative full of errors and plain untruths.

What manned mission went to the moon? How NASA mooned the US has been dealt with on NL several times. Maybe you're only a nwebie, sorry then grin

FYI, the moon was towed here from elsewhere and it's completely hollow, et.c.

But what would you do with these info?

smh
dont make your points which so much condescension, i am interested in this theory of yours - please tell me more.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Black 555.55-carat Formed 2 Billion Years Ago Sells For $4.28 Million At Auction / Mike The Headless Chicken That Lived For 18-Months / Ekiti JSS3 Student Builds Rechargeable Lantern With Speakers, For Charging Phone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.