Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,510 members, 7,819,841 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:30 AM

Five Brainless Job Interview Questions That Need To Die!!! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Five Brainless Job Interview Questions That Need To Die!!! (2153 Views)

14 Interview Questions And Their Best Possible Answers / Maximize Your Talents: 10 Questions That Will Help Shape Your Career / All Job Interview Questions/answers Covered - Get The Free Ebook (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Five Brainless Job Interview Questions That Need To Die!!! by HastaCuando(m): 5:20am On Feb 17, 2016
The job interviewing process is flawed, as everybody knows.

If you think about how much you really need to know about a person before you hire him or her — and on the other side, how much you need to know about a manager before you sign onto his or her team — a one-hour interview is not nearly enough discussion time.
With so much ground to cover and such limited time in which to cover it, why would anyone want to waste a second in a job interview?
We all know the traditional question-and-answer interview script. It’s pointless. It’s not a good way to learn about a person. Here are five idiotic interview questions that don’t help you make better hires, can only annoy job applicants and deserve to die in the first quarter of 2016.

What’s Your Greatest Weakness?
What makes you think that people have weaknesses in the first place? If people do have weaknesses, that’s one of the most personal questions you could ask. You wouldn’t ask a candidate about his or her sex life or spiritual views, would you?
This is a job interview, not a therapy session, and a job-seeker’s ‘weaknesses’ are none of your business. Are you going to volunteer your greatest weakness to the applicant sitting in front of you? If not, don’t ask this insulting question.

With All the Talented Candidates We Will Meet, Why Should We Hire You?
Since my time is valuable and you’re not paying me right now, if you don’t think I’m qualified for the job why are you wasting my time?
This is another snotty, from-the-mountaintop question that sticks around when it should have disappeared from interview scripts long ago. (Interview scripts themselves should have disappeared, too). You don’t need to ask job-seekers to bow and scrape and list their virtues as part of a job interview.
Would you ask a person on a first date why you should stoop to go out with them? Who would date anyone so ignorant? Stop asking this horrible job interview question right away!

Where Do You See Yourself in Five Years?
What do you care where a job-seeker sees him- or herself in five years or ten years or ten million years, considering that you’re not making them a job offer with any guarantee of longevity at all?
Some people think that people with career plans are better hires, but there is no evidence for that in real life.
If your plan is to hire the candidates who think the most like you, why not go whole hog and ask your candidates who they like in the presidential race and the Super Bowl and make your hiring decisions based on their answers?
You have a job opening and your assignment and responsibility is to hire the person who can perform the job most capably. Whether or not a person has a five-year plan is none of your beeswax and has nothing to do with a candidate’s suitability for the role.

If You Were (A Can Of Soup, An Animal, A Song) Which One Would You Be?
This line of interview questioning is childish and beneath you. Strike this question from your script today. If you’re thinking “It’s just a fun question — we like to have fun on job interviews!” then keep in mind that fun is in the eye of the beholder.
A job applicant who needs a job to pay the rent doesn’t come to a job interview to joke around with you. It’s unprofessional of you to try to insert your own hokey and infantile brand of business humor into the mix or to try and play amateur psychologist.

How Badly Do You Want This Job?
If your culture is toxic and you can only afford to hire people with no self-esteem, this is a great question to ask on job interviews. Otherwise, don’t do it.

What’s a better way to interview people for jobs? Have a simple, human conversation like this
:
Polly, a manager: So, Aaron — it’s great to meet you!
Aaron: Nice to meet you too!
Polly: Have a seat. You probably have questions about the job. Fire away!
Aaron: Thanks! I do have a few questions. You’re looking for someone to switch you over to a new inventory system, I gather.
Polly: That’s a great call! I kept it kind of general in the job ad.
Aaron: Well, you mentioned software implementation in the job ad and then the recruiter who talked with me last week, Belem, asked me about inventory software specifically and of course, that’s my background.
Polly: Yes, we are upgrading to a new software vendor for our inventory control system.
Aaron: Have you chosen your vendor yet?
Polly: We are narrowing the list down. Let’s start there. It sounds like you’ve been through this before! I’d love to hear that story.

What is happening in the conversation between Aaron and Polly? Polly and Aaron are simply getting to know one another and understand how each of them sees the world.
They are talking about the only relevant topic — Polly’s mission at work and her needs in her department — not which kind of soup Aaron would be if he were catapulted back in time to kindergarten and someone asked him the kindergarten-level question “What kind of soup would you be?”
It’s a new day, and the Human Workplace is already here. We can step up our job-interview game to have human conversations that will let both participants in the job interview see the other person’s brain working.
That’s all we can ask for, and it’s easy to get there — you just have to lose the brainless interview script and step up to your higher, human form.

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/lizryan/2016/01/22/five-brainless-job-interview-questions-that-need-to-die/#5eb27d771935

2 Likes

Re: Five Brainless Job Interview Questions That Need To Die!!! by psucc(m): 6:20am On Feb 17, 2016
The truth is that most of those who coined these interview questions themselves did not went through such hurdles to secure a job but constitute themselves into a stumbling block for the less privileged.

Also, how many of our leaders' children do we meet in the interview date or venue?

2 Likes

Re: Five Brainless Job Interview Questions That Need To Die!!! by Justinatoyin(f): 8:35am On Feb 17, 2016
When you are asked those brainless questions, what will be your reply?

1 Like

Re: Five Brainless Job Interview Questions That Need To Die!!! by asalimpo(m): 9:55am On Feb 17, 2016
When I read posts like this, i know part way, that it wasnt written by the poster but was copied off the net.
It seems, 90% of nairaland posters are too dumb,lazy,dull,unmotivated,uninterested to write lenghty, original,meaningful,deep prose.
Anything requiring thoughtful and deep or analytical perspective.

Most of the time, my suspicion is true! (they'll be a link at the bottom)
Re: Five Brainless Job Interview Questions That Need To Die!!! by calculator123(m): 1:18pm On Feb 17, 2016
.space booked.
Re: Five Brainless Job Interview Questions That Need To Die!!! by calculator123(m): 1:19pm On Feb 17, 2016
asalimpo:
When I read posts like this, i know part way, that it wasnt written by the poster but was copied off the net.
It seems, 90% of nairaland posters are too dumb,lazy,dull,unmotivated,uninterested to write lenghty, original,meaningful,deep prose.

stop all these bashing,how many posts av u written without a link?

1 Like

Re: Five Brainless Job Interview Questions That Need To Die!!! by asalimpo(m): 1:47am On Feb 18, 2016
calculator123:

stop all these bashing,how many posts av u written without a link?
many . Anyway, isnt the observation true? You know it is. sadly. which is saying a lot about us.
Re: Five Brainless Job Interview Questions That Need To Die!!! by HastaCuando(m): 4:55am On Feb 19, 2016
asalimpo:

many . Anyway, isnt the observation true? You know it is. sadly. which is saying a lot about us.

Asalimpo or whatever you are called. I can only by your comment imagine your level of intelligence. Believe me or not, I dare not exchange words with you lest I fall to your category. Wisdom, however, can be nurtured if a child desires, reason while I decided to let you understand common reasoning (#commonsense).
Knowledge grows only when it is shared otherwise we wouldn't be typing in another man's language today. If you never did 'copy and paste' in your life before then that could mean only one thing; you are an illiterate. But I assume otherwise, else you wouldn't have been able to read through the post and dropped the comment you did.
Well, before you get it twisted, here is what you should know. In a forum (like Nairaland), one is entitled to share ideas, information and views about almost anything delimited by the rules. Write up such as the post is no exception, as long as the message is beneficial to someone out there.
So please add to your knowledge base the insightful content of the post and stop picking attention where there is none. And if it pleases you, you may as well ignore it and create a room or better said, another forum for writers alone. #commonsense
Re: Five Brainless Job Interview Questions That Need To Die!!! by asalimpo(m): 1:49pm On Feb 19, 2016
^^^
truth hurts . Especially ungarnished truth served with with gutsy mustard.

What i say holds. In all sections of nairaland. 98% of all lengthy, thoughtful, deep, articulate articles-not gripe ,complaint or gossip- are fetched some where! They're never the posters brain-children.
Which says a lot about the character of typical nairalanders.
If this rankles you,then it's your problem. The fact still holds true.
Re: Five Brainless Job Interview Questions That Need To Die!!! by DanGombe1: 4:03am On Feb 20, 2016
asalimpo:
^^^
truth hurts . Especially ungarnished truth served with with gutsy mustard.

What i say holds. In all sections of nairaland. 98% of all lengthy, thoughtful, deep, articulate articles-not gripe ,complaint or gossip- are fetched some where! They're never the posters brain-children.
Which says a lot about the character of typical nairalanders.
If this rankles you,then it's your problem. The fact still holds true.

And you just proved his point by this your ignorant post. So, you want everyone on Nairaland who wants to start a thread to think up something original and not share information copied from other sources. Am sure you will now tell us you have never used Google or Wikipedia to do research. Information copied from anywhere as long as it is useful to someone and credit is given to the original source, I have no problem with it. We have learnt a lot from there. It's people like you that form over sabi when you have never written any original work of repute yourself.
Re: Five Brainless Job Interview Questions That Need To Die!!! by asalimpo(m): 12:43pm On Feb 20, 2016
DanGombe1:

And you just proved his point by this your ignorant post. So, you want everyone on Nairaland who wants to start a thread to think up something original and not share information copied from other sources. Am sure you will now tell us you have never used Google or Wikipedia to do research. Information copied from anywhere as long as it is useful to someone and credit is given to the original source, I have no problem with it. We have learnt a lot from there. It's people like you that form over sabi when you have never written any original work of repute yourself.

Hey, stop missing the point mister.
Who is talking about the merit or lack thereof of a post.
I expressed an observation about a pattern. That posts of certain qualities are usually not the poster's creation. That is the argument and what you shud stick to. Based on my observation, I went on to proffer reasons why that is the case.

Everybody should feel free to share but if 98%+ of certain posts are are borrowed works, it says a lot about the type (and sometimes calibre) of posts typical posters create.

Like saying if 90% of the nation's economy is dependent on crude, then we have an imbalance on our hands.
Re: Five Brainless Job Interview Questions That Need To Die!!! by Nobody: 6:40am On Feb 21, 2016
asalimpo:

Hey, stop missing the point mister.
Who is talking about the merit or lack thereof of a post.
I expressed an observation about a pattern. That posts of certain qualities are usually not the poster's creation. That is the argument and what you shud stick to. Based on my observation, I went on to proffer reasons why that is the case.

Everybody should feel free to share but if 98%+ of certain posts are are borrowed works, it says a lot about the type (and sometimes calibre) of posts typical posters create.

Like saying if 90% of the nation's economy is dependent on crude, then we have an imbalance on our hands.
shut the f**k up
Re: Five Brainless Job Interview Questions That Need To Die!!! by Nobody: 8:02am On Feb 21, 2016
asalimpo:

how many times have you written an original, meaningful and lengthy prose (and posted it online)? the problem I have with people like you is that you are too eager to criticize blindly (and foolishly, if I may add), ignoring your own faults and inadequacies. you are ignorant of the fact that you're the archetype of what you critize; a lazy, dull, dumb and unmotivated buffoon! angry
Re: Five Brainless Job Interview Questions That Need To Die!!! by asalimpo(m): 10:07am On Feb 21, 2016
coollabman:

how many times have you written an original, meaningful and lengthy prose (and posted it online)? the problem I have with people like you is that you are too eager to criticize blindly (and foolishly, if I may add), ignoring your own faults and inadequacies. you are ignorant of the fact that you're the archetype of what you critize; a lazy, dull, dumb and unmotivated buffoon! angry
How many times have you written something lengthy? The answer dont matter.

Stop being a dimwit. Clear ur head to see my point which is?
A- nairalanders dont write length thoughtful posts .

B-Why? (i offer suggestions).
They are dull,lazy,dumb,unmotivated,uninterested. Any or some of the above.

If you're getting worked because i stated the obvious,then the problem lies with you. You're living in denial.
Re: Five Brainless Job Interview Questions That Need To Die!!! by Nobody: 10:14am On Feb 21, 2016
asalimpo:

How many times have you written something lengthy? The answer dont matter.

Stop being a dimwit. Clear ur head to see my point which is?
A- nairalanders dont write length thoughtful posts .

B-Why? (i offer suggestions).
They are dull,lazy,dumb,unmotivated,uninterested. Any or some of the above.

If you're getting worked because i stated the obvious,then the problem lies with you. You're living in denial.

lol @ denial

as I stated earlier, the perfect example of what you're criticizing is you.
Re: Five Brainless Job Interview Questions That Need To Die!!! by asalimpo(m): 10:37am On Feb 21, 2016
coollabman:

lol @ denial

expand-tiate. Got any proof to go with the allegation? Cus i reported my observation like an unbiased journalist.
Re: Five Brainless Job Interview Questions That Need To Die!!! by Nobody: 10:40am On Feb 21, 2016
asalimpo:
expand-tiate. Got any proof to go with the allegation? Cus i reported my observation like an unbiased journalist.

the proof I have is your inability to answer this simple question; how many times have you written an original, meaningful and lengthy prose (and posted it online)?
Re: Five Brainless Job Interview Questions That Need To Die!!! by asalimpo(m): 11:38am On Feb 21, 2016
coollabman:

the proof I have is your inability to answer this simple question; how many times have you written an original, meaningful and lengthy prose (and posted it online)?
and how does that change my observation in any significant way?

2) At what figure would my write ups ,if i have any, matter? 1,2,10,100?
Re: Five Brainless Job Interview Questions That Need To Die!!! by Nobody: 12:50pm On Feb 21, 2016
asalimpo:

and how does that change my observation in any significant way?

2) At what figure would my write ups ,if i have any, matter? 1,2,10,100?

*sighs* ogbeni next time you want to criticize, pls take a good look at yourself. the general description you have about nairalanders applies to you.
Re: Five Brainless Job Interview Questions That Need To Die!!! by asalimpo(m): 1:21pm On Feb 21, 2016
coollabman:

*sighs* ogbeni next time you want to criticize, pls take a good look at yourself. the general description you have about nairalanders applies to you.
At least you now agree my observation was correct. You are learning..
Re: Five Brainless Job Interview Questions That Need To Die!!! by Nobody: 1:25pm On Feb 21, 2016
asalimpo:

At least you now agree my observation was correct. You are learning..

unfortunately you have not learnt anything! undecided
Re: Five Brainless Job Interview Questions That Need To Die!!! by asalimpo(m): 1:44pm On Feb 21, 2016
coollabman:

unfortunately you have not learnt anything! :-/
ok. I was teachin you logic 101. Fallacy of arguing against the author of article by making an emotional appeal rather than a cold factual evaluation.

It goes thus:
A : I've noticed that most cars passing by are blue.
Is it that nigerians love blue, are mindlessly following western trends, buy the cheapest cuz blue cars are cheap, are color blind, have no sense of taste, dealers import most cars in blue etc.

B: how many non-blue cars do have? Answer me!
(lynch mob gathering)

question: How many blue cars do i have to have?
How does that affect my observation?
What makes an observation and subsequent hypothesis a criticism (i.e a judgement call)
Re: Five Brainless Job Interview Questions That Need To Die!!! by lequatee(m): 2:43pm On Feb 21, 2016
asalimpo:

ok. I was teachin you logic 101. Fallacy of arguing against the author of article by making an emotional appeal rather than a cold factual evaluation.

It goes thus:
Is it that nigerians love blue, are mindlessly following western trends, buy the cheapest cuz blue cars are cheap, are color blind, have no sense of taste, dealers import most cars in blue etc.

(lynch mob gathering)

What makes an observation and subsequent hypothesis a criticism (i.e a judgement call)

I clearly understand your argument .
Re: Five Brainless Job Interview Questions That Need To Die!!! by Nobody: 3:08pm On Feb 21, 2016
asalimpo:

It goes thus:

(lynch mob gathering)

pls go back to the original comment you made! you made a judgement call and not an observation. you are acting coy because I tackled you. the your argument is null because your so called observation was meant to criticize and ridicule the so called dullness of nairalanders (of which you're the worst culprit)
Re: Five Brainless Job Interview Questions That Need To Die!!! by asalimpo(m): 4:12pm On Feb 21, 2016
coollabman:

pls go back to the original comment you made! you made a judgement call and not an observation. you are acting coy because I tackled you. the your argument is null because your so called observation was meant to criticize and ridicule the so called dullness of nairalanders (of which you're the worst culprit)
coollabman:

lol @ denial

this is my original comment.
[b]When I read posts like this, i know part way, that it wasnt written by the poster but was copied off the net. It seems, 90% of nairaland posters are too dumb,lazy,dull,unmotivated,uninterested to write lenghty, original,meaningful,deep prose. Anything requiring thoughtful and deep or analytical perspective.

if i were making a judgement call i would be more certain. I wouldnt say "it seems". There's a subtle difference.
Your problem is you dont like hard truth. Because i used hard words : dull,dumb, lazy. But those are major factors why almost all lenghty, well thought out,well written posts are not by nairalanders. Others are lack of interests, and motivation.

If i'm certain,i wont hypothesize. I'll say most nairalanders are a,b,c,d... That's why the dont do x,y,z.
Period.
What's there to retract. The burden of proof will of course rest on me to prove my claim.

(1) (Reply)

Where Do You Work? / Phonics Training In Lagos. Don't Be Left Out / See How To Earn 30,000 Naira Daily Using Your Mobile Phone. This Is Real

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.