Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,284 members, 7,818,959 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:57 AM

Do We Not Know How To Manufacture High-end Kitchens In Nigeria Anymore? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Do We Not Know How To Manufacture High-end Kitchens In Nigeria Anymore? (583 Views)

Girls In Nigeria Are Not Safe Anymore / I Can't View Headlines And Names Of Commenters On My Newsfeed Anymore. / We Sell And Manufacture Agric Processing Machines And Farm Tools Such As All Gar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Do We Not Know How To Manufacture High-end Kitchens In Nigeria Anymore? by TundeSolam137: 9:46pm On Feb 19, 2016
I was a bit disturbed last Sunday morning when I opened up one of the mainstream newspapers and reviewed an advertisement for Lorenzo by Sujimoto. For those that are not familiar with the project, Lorenzo by Sujimoto is dubbed to become the tallest residential building in Ikoyi, Lagos. According to information provided online, the building will soar 25 stories above the prestigious Bourdillon Road and will comprise of 57 luxury apartment units with each equipped with two kitchens. For an individual with an in-depth knowledge of the woodworking industry in Nigeria, I was very excited to read about this project, among others because of the apparent opportunity such a project would afford Nigerian kitchen makers to demonstrate their skills, designs and competence. A young construction company, Sujimoto Construction, taking on one of the most ambitious large scale development projects in Nigeria was remarkable.

However, I became disappointed when I learnt that the kitchens in the 57 apartments will be manufactured by Italian companies not based in Nigeria but somewhere in ltaly and imported into the country. These are Italian companies that have not invested one Naira in Nigeria. The average price for the kitchens that will be offered by the Italian companies is approximately NGN10,000,000.00 (Ten Million Naira) and each unit will be equipped with two kitchens. If you do the math, Sujimoto Construction will have to shed out approximately 1.14 billion Naira to the Italian companies for the kitchens alone. This means the company will be exporting thousands of jobs to Europe at a time when Nigeria is experiencing slow growth and raising unemployment. Equally, companies are closing down, shutting their doors and laying off thousands of employees. Additionally, importation of furniture into Nigeria is illegal. I could not but ask myself whether woodworking companies in Nigeria specializing in manufacturing kitchens no longer know how to manufacture high-end kitchens anymore? I could not believe that this could be happening at time the country is facing perhaps its worst economic challenges, at a time when the buzzing sounds of machines in furniture factories have been replaced by sounds of pin drops due to the economic slowdown and financial crisis. Some of these furniture factories have reported declining sales while others have gone bankrupt and gone out of business. This situation has contributed to the rising unemployment we are experiencing in Nigeria. Bringing in or allowing Nigerian kitchen manufacturing companies to participate in this project and investing N1.14 billion in that sector at this this would not only have been a game changer in so many ways but would have helped solidify kitchen manufacturing in Nigeria. This is apart from the hundreds of jobs it would have created in the country.

As part of the structural reform, the federal government has placed a ban on importation of furniture into the country. Are the management of Sujimoto Construction living in a bubble or unaware of this? Or this is just blatant disregard for government policy? What a lost opportunity for the construction company to be part of the league of companies working with the federal government to turn around the economy. My hope remains that Sujimoto will reconsider the whole situation and bring more Nigerian companies to work on the project. A project like this could be part of the silver bullet that would help take industries in Nigeria back to its glorious days and bring broad-based prosperity to Nigeria. The Nigeria economy is in a free fall and in periods like this, companies like Sujimoto Construction need to embrace structural reforms introduced to help stabilize the economy.

Should the company fail to reconsider its stance, may be the elites investing in this project should withhold their investment until the construction company reconsiders the journey they will be taking to make this dream of putting up the tallest residential building in Lagos a reality.

#WorkWithLocalFurnitureManufacturersLorenzoBySujimoto
#LorenzoBySujimotoPromoteMadeInNigeriaKitchens

(1) (Reply)

Saw This On AIT, 'sysment' / Pastor Denies Impregnating Two Sisters / Unofficial Rules Of Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.