Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,551 members, 7,840,318 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 09:13 PM

The Naira In 2016: To Devalue Or Not To Devalue? - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Naira In 2016: To Devalue Or Not To Devalue? (19668 Views)

Recession: EU Advises Nigeria To Devalue Naira. / EXCLUSIVE: CBN Will NOT Devalue Naira, Mulls Proposal For New Forex Window / Pls, What Does It Mean To Devalue Naira? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Naira In 2016: To Devalue Or Not To Devalue? by Xerum(m): 4:58pm On Feb 20, 2016
LRNZH

You just surmarised a large part of my epistle in less than 10 paragraphs.

Arbitrage, is what I was referring to as percentage premium in the analysis. Remember say I no go makaranta for Economics. I will miss out some key jargons of the trade. grin

Thanks for the clarity you just provided. I agree that a certain privileged few are making a killing from the ongoing arbitrage. The economic team has its work cut out for it.

grin smiley

Nice one!
Re: The Naira In 2016: To Devalue Or Not To Devalue? by LRNZH(m): 5:00pm On Feb 20, 2016
paschu:

Maybe you need to know that Wikipedia is NOT an authoritative source of information. Any dick can edit any content on Wikipedia. And Wikipedia does not maintain an archive or history of edits that I know of. Don't be suprised if the stuff you are citing now is not there again tomorrow.

I agree with you and understand how Wikipedia works. If you followed my discussion with the gentleman, I defered to him where he claims to have a slightly different experience with black market exchange rates.

Moreover, his is a single data point which is dependent on where he accessed the black market and when exactly. Rates quoted in these referneces I cite for a single year would be an average for the whole year. For the black market, how do you even arrive at representative average from Kano to Abuja to Lagos to Port Harcourt?

It is not straightforward, but at the same time doesn't weaken my arguments in the OP.
Re: The Naira In 2016: To Devalue Or Not To Devalue? by dancewith: 5:13pm On Feb 20, 2016
Much of what is happening now is a direct product of the insane policies of the present administration. It is an aberration that whenever they do things that worsens whatever is bad already, they readily resort to blaming the previous govt for the result

We are talking about serious disparity in exchange rate. Someone asked: How did we get to here?. To answer this, consider that the issue of stanking oil prices has been hugely addressed by the govt restrictions on several access to foreign exchange, making it almost impossible to have any significant supply of dollars, hence the resulting galloping dollar rates to the naira

Dollar sales to BDCS has also ceased as is access to foreign exchange even for legitimate demands like PTA/BTA and LCs. One would have expected that these restrictions easily cushioned the impact of the price fall in oil

So since supply of dollar is low, prices would inevitably rise. This isn't advanced maths. How does the government address this and what is their economic focus?

The answer is somewhere in their reactions. The present government has done almost no projects or awarded any contract. Meaning whatever revenue they derive is mostly unspent aside recurrent expenditures. Their next moves shows just how lost they are

The Buhari government, clearly with policies to restrict import, obviously should be targeting increased export. But an exporter that gets paid in foreign exchange, which would have been the offsetting balance to dollar demand, is forced to sell the export proceeds to the already rich commercial banks, and you guessed it, at the ridiculous official exchange rate of N197!. So if an exporter sells Koso woods to a chinese company and receives $100k, he is forced to sell the dollars to the commercial bank that received it at N197 rather than sell it at the open market and make more income. This has made many exporters and potential exporters abandon the effort as doing so would be unprofitable and punitive

If this isn't the most insane way to encourage export then nothing is. It clearly shows the govt actually isn't even focusing on boosting export. For me, the high exchange rate represent a golden opportunity for Nigerians to enter the bush, farms, factories etc to source for export products and not only revitalize the economy but diversify it

If this doesn't show how lost this government is, nothing else will. I do not support devaluation simply because once you do, the parallel market would simply move ahead and the disparity continues. The solution is in export

The only way to bridge the gap is to boost supply of foreign exchange. This happened sometime last year when the greenback traded for N196 before the electioneering gimmicks intervened to drive it up
Re: The Naira In 2016: To Devalue Or Not To Devalue? by ahmedjika: 5:18pm On Feb 20, 2016
my problem with nairalanders they don't go beyond local news
Re: The Naira In 2016: To Devalue Or Not To Devalue? by LRNZH(m): 5:27pm On Feb 20, 2016
ahmedjika:

How do you mean?
Re: The Naira In 2016: To Devalue Or Not To Devalue? by cckris: 5:44pm On Feb 20, 2016
azikiweironsi:
OP, God Bless you for the writeup. Well educating. Hope other NLs will follow this step rather than using abusive words.
Nigeria will be great again.
God Bless Nigeria.
There's time to show class. There's time to show them pepper for not liking you.
Re: The Naira In 2016: To Devalue Or Not To Devalue? by cckris: 5:46pm On Feb 20, 2016
ahmedjika:
Majority here are below 30. How do you expect them to have depth?
Re: The Naira In 2016: To Devalue Or Not To Devalue? by bodee(m): 6:16pm On Feb 20, 2016
Emekamex:
->The naira is already devalued in my opinion, the CBN is just living in delusion by thinking their policies are working; pegging the naira at 197 has created a condition where the CBN lose autonomy of the forex regulation, thereby triggering widescale fraud and corruption where few become massively rich by hoarding dollars and creating an artificial scarcity, which also has detrimental effect on the naira.
->What we should do now is to start exporting other mineral resources and improve our agricultural industry, doing this will bring in investors who will give us the required forex, coupled with those that will be gotten from our prospective exports in order to heavily develop our infrastructure and other essential industries that will greatly improve our economy and create massive job opportunities.
Re: The Naira In 2016: To Devalue Or Not To Devalue? by onatisi(m): 6:24pm On Feb 20, 2016
cckris:

Microeconomics is difficult for some people, but Econometrics-based Political Economy is difficult for everyone. You can see that some opinions here even desire to flood Nigeria with the Dollars that belong to a World Power.
Boss in fact the matta taya me!!!!
I really weep for my fellow Nigerians.
Re: The Naira In 2016: To Devalue Or Not To Devalue? by Lito18: 7:19pm On Feb 20, 2016
LRNZH:
Intro
First, I am not a trained economist but I believe that as a widely read and travelled Nigerian, I know enough to generate and add to a discourse that is rather too pertinent to the current clime irrespective of academic training.

Also, I am more of an empiricist than a theorist. This gives me the privilege to discuss issues outside of my discipline of expertise so long as I have some experience in the matter at hand.. We all of different professional, political, religious affiliations live, drink and eat the economy. I would give examples from existing economies to make my points rather than harp on theories taught in Business schools and Economics-101 classes.

[img]http://qzprod.files./2015/12/nigerian-naira.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&w=1600[/img]
Reuters/Joe Penney

So, the million-naira question remains. To devalue the Naira further in 2016 or not to?
A very good example of how to use currency devaluation and indeed undervaluation comes from China. China is regarded to have the largest and most complex economy in the world for most of the past two thousand years, during which it has seen cycles of prosperity and decline(6). My emphasis would be on the ongoing rise of the Red Dragon since 1978. Based on general consensus, the drivers for this rise are:

1. Starting from 1978, Deng Xiaoping liberalised the economy without changing the political system. China pursued capitalism with a communist political system unlike Russia that wanted to control resource distribution through Perestroika and Glasnost. For example, China had over 100 Billionaires by 2009 compared to about 30 in India in a Communist set-up(7).

2. China's brand of capitalism is heavily state supported. State owned enterprises were and are still encouraged carry out business locally and internationally. A run-through of 2014 Forbes or Fortune-500 list of 10 largest companies in China will produce mostly state-owned enterprises like Sinopec (Oil), China National Petroleum (Oil), State Grid Corporation of China (Power), Industrial and Commercial Bank of China Ltd (Banking), China Shenhua Energy Company Limited (Mining) amongst others(8 ).

3. China invested massively in physical infrastructure. A good illustration is in railways. With only 55,000 km of railways in 1985, China had a smaller rail network than India (62,000 km). By 2006, with 75,000 km of railways, China had overtaken India which had 64,000 km. In 2006, as a proportion of GDP, Chinese annual investment of 14.4 per cent in infrastructure such as power, transport, drinking water, irrigation and telecom was almost three times that of India(7).

4. Cheap, educated labour. This led to foreign companies to tap rush into China to take advantage of readily trainable human power. After the US, China is the second-largest recipient of Foreign Direct Investment in the world. Much of Chinese exports are by foreign-owned firms. In 2007, only four of China's top 25 exporters were Chinese companies

5. Lest I forget, as China started reaping from its investments in economic growth, it became hard-lined against corruption. As a communist country that doesn't have the ability to vote the corrupt officials out of office it had to devise its own rule of law to tackle corruption. In the1980s, "economic crimes" such as bribery, drug-trafficking, and embezzlement were added to the legal code for capital punishment. In fact, it is popularly stated that after the clampdown on corruption in China in the late 2000s, the sale of luxury watches (a popular gift to officials), dropped in China and Hong-Kong. (10,11)

6. Finally and most important to this discourse, China's exchange rate policy was designed to promote competitiveness. The renminbi (or yuan), which had been rapidly devalued from RMB 1.50 per US dollar in 1980 to RMB 8.62 per US dollar by 1994, was pegged at RMB 8.27 per US dollar from 1997 to 2005. By 2005, the renminbi was allowed to float and it gradually appreciated to RMB 6.82 in May 2009, and remained more or less unchanged thereafter. China has intervened heavily to prevent the renminbi from appreciating, and in the process, accumulated over $2.2 trillion by 2009 (9).

The last point above shows that currency devaluation can be a driver for economic growth unlike the same continued devaluation with SAP in Africa. The difference in economic impact lies in the rest of the 4 points that I have highlighted and I will bring the points home to Nigeria.

- LRNZH

References:
(1). http://www.investopedia.com/articles/03/060403.asp#ixzz40cyLSRcN
(2). http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/1994/03/698538/parallel-exchange-rates-developing-countries-lessons-eight-case-studies
(3). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_naira
(4). http://blogs.premiumtimesng.com/171189-2/
(5). http://web.mit.edu/africantech/www/articles/PlanningAdjust.htm
(6). http://eric.ed.gov/?id=ED460052
(7). http://business.rediff.com/column/2009/nov/23/guest-reasons-behind-the-rise-of-china.htm
(8 ). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_Chinese_companies
(9). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renminbi
(10). http://www.tradingeconomics.com/nigeria/balance-of-trade
(11). http://www.bbc.com/news/business-23541923
(12). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_China
Next time make your story short and concise. No one has the luxury of time to read this length of an article.
Re: The Naira In 2016: To Devalue Or Not To Devalue? by LRNZH(m): 7:24pm On Feb 20, 2016
Lito18:
Next time make your story short and concise. No one has the luxury of time to read this length of an article.

I wish it was easy to do that and still get the message across. I'd like to see a demonstration from you or someone else.

Thanks for the feedback though.
Re: The Naira In 2016: To Devalue Or Not To Devalue? by boookworm: 7:50pm On Feb 20, 2016
[color=#006600][/color] Naira not to devalue, the odd is 58.12
Re: The Naira In 2016: To Devalue Or Not To Devalue? by LRNZH(m): 9:11pm On Feb 20, 2016
andy24:
I read ur write up. Thanks for sharing such knowledge...

You are welcome.
Re: The Naira In 2016: To Devalue Or Not To Devalue? by Rajjah(f): 7:13am On Feb 21, 2016
LRNZH:

Oh really? Any insights you want to share with us? I am interested. By the way, ABU is an alma mater.
well am against devaluation because if that is allowed hmmmmm, dis country might collapse. Imagine a state in which you empty your pocket to consume few unit of commodity. It wont be funny. Again its we the masses that will suffer more. I stand with the President if he refuses for further devaluation.
Re: The Naira In 2016: To Devalue Or Not To Devalue? by swagifted(m): 9:25am On Feb 21, 2016
praxisnetworks:
If you're not a trained economist then shetop.

I hate being scammed.
I swear, d feeling is mutual fam, am an economist as well...why do people hate to see things from our perspective vis a vis the economic woes...

1 Like

Re: The Naira In 2016: To Devalue Or Not To Devalue? by swagifted(m): 9:47am On Feb 21, 2016
If one day $1 equal 1naira, do you know what the implication will be, nobody will patronise nigerian goods and services, imagine buying an iphone from US (or any online store) plus shipping for $850( 850naira)....or buying a car of $20,000 for 20,000....and foreign investors coming with dollars will be disappointed with the rates...people will probably order dia meals from U,S as well.
Re: The Naira In 2016: To Devalue Or Not To Devalue? by LRNZH(m): 1:28pm On Feb 21, 2016
swagifted:
I swear, d feeling is mutual fam, am an economist as well...why do people hate to see things from our perspective vis a vis the economic woes...

What is your perspective if I may ask?
Re: The Naira In 2016: To Devalue Or Not To Devalue? by swagifted(m): 1:55pm On Feb 21, 2016
LRNZH:

What is your perspective if I may ask?
I believe the rate of dollar is actually frustrating importing flow (which Is good for local manufacturers)...the rich that like patronising foreign goods and services will have to channel it to local goods and services (make the gap between dem and d poor reduce)...and also the rate is enticing to foreign firms to invest in nigeria, the current oil shambles is an eye opener, u can't depend on it all the time. And to our brothers earning in dollars...well...na dem d tin de sweet .pass.. Currently d only people worth emulating now is the chinese, dia work rate is too fast, (why?..population)...and dia war on corruption is not a joking sturvs(you see why EFCC/ICPC need to continue dis war , just to reduce blackmail ,it should not be biased...dat have bin efcc's wahala since nuhu ribadu left). And we like benchmarking us with america as if we are mates, we must create our own benchmark and work with it, it will be hard, but we must chew the bitter kola dat we have bin planting since d oil boom, until d agrarian sector begin to bear sweet fruits again. It took a lot of years for us to damage d system to dis extent, it will take more to fix it. *drops mic for now*
Re: The Naira In 2016: To Devalue Or Not To Devalue? by ekeneidiagbor: 6:22pm On Feb 21, 2016
Emekamex:
->The naira is already devalued in my opinion, the CBN is just living in delusion by thinking their policies are working; pegging the naira at 197 has created a condition where the CBN lose autonomy of the forex regulation, thereby triggering widescale fraud and corruption where few become massively rich by hoarding dollars and creating an artificial scarcity, which also has detrimental effect on the naira.
->What we should do now is to start exporting other mineral resources and improve our agricultural industry, doing this will bring in investors who will give us the required forex, coupled with those that will be gotten from our prospective exports in order to heavily develop our infrastructure and other essential industries that will greatly improve our economy and create massive job opportunities.

but that is exactly what the CBN is hoping to achieve with her forex policy
Re: The Naira In 2016: To Devalue Or Not To Devalue? by iseeicome: 8:21am On Sep 23, 2017

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Cement Price Soar In South East / Otedola Acquires ₦6Billion Dangote Cement Shares / Help A Friend To Invest 500 Thousand Naira.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.