Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,332 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:24 AM

Are Religious Countries More Likely To Be Poor? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Religious Countries More Likely To Be Poor? (2673 Views)

You Are Religious Skeptics, Not Atheists? / Majority Of Nigerian Muslims Are Religious, But Not Spiritual / List Of The Most Religious Countries In The World; Checkout Nigeria's Position (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Religious Countries More Likely To Be Poor? by kay29000(m): 5:56pm On Feb 20, 2016
I have pondered on this all my life, but I think about this more these days. Are religious countries more likely to be poor? Why do we have the most churches, the biggest churches, and the most prolific pastors in the world in our dear country, Nigeria, and yet a large portion of our population languish in poverty? While a country like France which has majorly atheists citizens is so beautiful and well developed, with inhabitants living way above poverty level. Why? Is it that 'God' prefers to bless the non-religious people, living the religious people to suffer? I know a lot of religious people that follow all the doctrines in the Bible, and yet are as poor as church rats. But the richest man in the world, Bill Gates an Atheist? Why?

The truth is, if you prayed from morning till night, 7 days a week, 4 weeks a month, 12 months a week, and another man doesn't go to church at all, but works diligently with a good heart, and dedication to his craft, he would come out ten times more successful than you- FACT! This is the problem with countries that have 'over-religious' people inhabiting them. They believe God would do everything for them, so they spend most of their time praying and in church, instead of at work. And this decelerates the growth of any People, cos work and individual thinking develops a nation and not prayers. Of cos you can balance the two- work and religious activities, but often times in African countries, the latter is always on the higher side. This leads to people waiting for a miracles, divine favors, unmerited favors, and the likes. So, think about it- If everyone got unmerited favor, who would do the actual work? You do know that unmerited favor means getting favor for something you don't merit...It even sounds wrong and I wonder why there is always a thunderous AMEN when pastors pray that prayer point in churches.

I did a Google search of the most atheist countries in the world, and came up with these names- Netherlands, China, Sweden, Australia, France, Denmark, Czech Republic, etc. And I did another for most religious countries and I got- Nigeria, Ghana, Niger, Malawi, Guinea, Kenya, Peru, etc. I don't need to point out the set of countries that have its populace living better lives. So, what could be the reason? Could it be that less religious people are more likely to find a way out of their problems instead of depending on God for everything, thus becoming more developed and self sufficient than those that depend on God for everything (to the point of mental laziness).

As I said earlier, there should be a balance, so I am not saying you should become an atheist if you want to become rich and successful. But, you should not have the belief that praying alone would get you unmerited favor and a better life. Statistics has shown this rarely ever is the case. Of cos, there are always spiritual/universal laws that control the physical realm, but those laws are universal and not exclusive to any one religion.

http://outoftheordinary101..com.ng/2016/02/are-religious-countries-more-likely-to.html

Re: Are Religious Countries More Likely To Be Poor? by mmsen: 6:17pm On Feb 20, 2016
A nation/individual can survive without religion but no one can survive without food and shelter.

4 Likes

Re: Are Religious Countries More Likely To Be Poor? by kay29000(m): 6:38pm On Feb 20, 2016
mmsen:
A nation/individual can survive without religion but no one can survive without food and shelter.

Yup!
Re: Are Religious Countries More Likely To Be Poor? by Nobody: 8:47pm On Feb 20, 2016
Africa~>Mass illiteracy & mass educated literate from stagnant poor education system ~> Mass ignorance~> mass Acceptance of religion~> Backward in civilization~> most religious set of people but with the most problems among all races.

Those are the stages that made us less likely to evolve like those well to do countries.

2 Likes

Re: Are Religious Countries More Likely To Be Poor? by UyiIredia(m): 9:07pm On Feb 20, 2016
@ kay29000: Bill Gates is a Catholic not an atheist.
Re: Are Religious Countries More Likely To Be Poor? by ifenes(m): 9:19pm On Feb 20, 2016
aaronson:
Africa~>Mass illiteracy & mass educated literate from stagnant poor education system ~> Mass ignorance~> mass Acceptance of religion~> Backward in civilization~> most religious set of people but with the most problems among all races.

Those are the stages that made us less likely to evolve like those well to do countries.

well said
Re: Are Religious Countries More Likely To Be Poor? by sonofthunder: 9:20pm On Feb 20, 2016
no
Re: Are Religious Countries More Likely To Be Poor? by sonofthunder: 9:29pm On Feb 20, 2016
My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge; because you [the priestly nation] have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you that you shall be no priest to Me; seeing you have forgotten the law of your God, I will also forget your children.

7The more they increased and multiplied [in prosperity and power], the more they sinned against Me; I will change their glory into shame.
Re: Are Religious Countries More Likely To Be Poor? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:36pm On Feb 20, 2016
Na wa oo . Norway (over 70 percent ) UAE (99 percent ) USA (over 70 percent ) They are religious and still balling hard .

Nigeria is a superstitious country just like China not religious
Re: Are Religious Countries More Likely To Be Poor? by Flexherbal(m): 10:07pm On Feb 20, 2016
Some people are abusing religion.
Re: Are Religious Countries More Likely To Be Poor? by kay29000(m): 4:26am On Feb 21, 2016
UyiIredia:

His wife is Catholic and he started going to church for her and their children's sake, but it doesn't change his belief.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2014/03/16/with-an-evasive-response-bill-gates-tells-rolling-stone-it-makes-sense-to-believe-in-god/?repeat=w3tc

1 Like

Re: Are Religious Countries More Likely To Be Poor? by ini4brandon(m): 5:05am On Feb 21, 2016
True religion does not foster laziness induced poverty. The Bible encourages hard work and resourcefulness. Checkout Prov.22:29 & Ephesians 4:28.
Re: Are Religious Countries More Likely To Be Poor? by SamJed(m): 6:11am On Feb 21, 2016
The problem with most religious countries is not following the true doctrines of the bible...now the bible says faith without work is dead...this is exactly the problem with religious countries...after praying they still expect God to come down and develop their countries...btw the religiousity of nowadays is just miracles...the real worship is lacking...the whites of old were worshipping God very much afterall they introduced us to Christ and at the same time developed themselves but we here are always looking for miracles...how are we going to succeed when we are not doing it the right way
Re: Are Religious Countries More Likely To Be Poor? by kay29000(m): 6:17am On Feb 21, 2016
SamJed:
Am coming

Okay. You want to go to church first?
Re: Are Religious Countries More Likely To Be Poor? by malvisguy212: 7:04am On Feb 21, 2016
Everything anyone has
ever enjoyed springs from
God's creative genius and
generosity. Riches is a gift from God, sin cannot take away your riches, sin will only lead you to doom. just like samson. samson strength is a gift from God, even when samson fornicate with delilah, his strength was still their, his disobedient lead to his death.
Re: Are Religious Countries More Likely To Be Poor? by Nobody: 8:07am On Feb 21, 2016
UyiIredia:
Lol. You think somebody as aware as Bill Gates will be an Atheist? I don't think some of you guys have any clue as to what's happening here. Leave the Kay guy alone.
Re: Are Religious Countries More Likely To Be Poor? by Amberon: 8:23am On Feb 21, 2016
America is the country with the highest Number of Christians, and is currently the world power, so what exactly is the O.P trying to insinuate?
Re: Are Religious Countries More Likely To Be Poor? by Amberon: 8:24am On Feb 21, 2016
I think I Luke you smiley
SamJed:
The problem with most religious countries is not following the true doctrines of the bible...now the bible says faith without work is dead...this is exactly the problem with religious countries...after praying they still expect God to come down and develop their countries...btw the religiousity of nowadays is just miracles...the real worship is lacking...the whites of old were worshipping God very much afterall they introduced us to Christ and at the same time developed themselves but we here are always looking for miracles...how are we going to succeed when we are not doing it the right way
Re: Are Religious Countries More Likely To Be Poor? by orisa37: 9:10am On Feb 21, 2016
We pray to be good and focused to become rich and wealthy. Riches and Wealth are Parents of The Faith. You said Bill Gates is good and focused. Only God is Theses, so Bill Gates is some kind of god(Orisa) not to be worshipped but to believe in because he believes in himself and is focused.
Re: Are Religious Countries More Likely To Be Poor? by kay29000(m): 9:27am On Feb 21, 2016
Reyginus:
Lol. You think somebody as aware as Bill Gates will be an Atheist? I don't think some of you guys have any clue as to what's happening here. Leave the Kay guy alone.

The irony in your statement amuses me. Anyway, as they say- ignorance is bliss. Bill Gates has stated in many interviews that he is not a religious person, but his wife is a catholic, and so their children go to church.

Read it up in this link if you care-
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2014/03/16/with-an-evasive-response-bill-gates-tells-rolling-stone-it-makes-sense-to-believe-in-god/?repeat=w3tc
Re: Are Religious Countries More Likely To Be Poor? by Nobody: 9:29am On Feb 21, 2016
kay29000:

The irony in your statement amuses me. Anyway, as they say- ignorance is bliss. Bill Gates has stated in many interviews that he is not a religious person, but his wife is a catholic, and so their children go to church.

Read it up in this link if you care-
Lol. Not being religious doesn't amount to Atheism. Or how does it?
Re: Are Religious Countries More Likely To Be Poor? by kay29000(m): 9:32am On Feb 21, 2016
Reyginus:
Lol. Not being religious doesn't amount to Atheism. Or how does it?

Please tell me what your knowledge of the word atheism means. Someone said he doesn't believe in the concept of religion and a god, and yet you say it doesn't mean he is an atheist. Then who is an atheist? A devil worshiper?
Re: Are Religious Countries More Likely To Be Poor? by Nobody: 9:37am On Feb 21, 2016
malvisguy212:
Everything anyone has
ever enjoyed springs from
God's creative genius and
generosity. Riches is a gift from God, sin cannot take away your riches, sin will only lead you to doom. just like samson. samson strength is a gift from God, even when samson fornicate with delilah, his strength was still their, his disobedient lead to his death.

cheesy this mofo tho' smh.... Some people actually believe Samson and Delilah ever existed.

undecided

1 Like

Re: Are Religious Countries More Likely To Be Poor? by Nobody: 9:38am On Feb 21, 2016
kay29000:

Please tell me what your knowledge of the word atheism means. Someone said he doesn't believe in the concept of religion and a god, and yet you say it doesn't mean he is an atheist. Then who is an atheist? A devil worshiper?
Lol. So it's now about twisting his words. You'd have to work very hard then.

Let me ask, did you really read your link at all? How does saying he doesn't know if there's god or not mean he is atheist? It's either a theist or atheist?
Re: Are Religious Countries More Likely To Be Poor? by kay29000(m): 9:48am On Feb 21, 2016
Reyginus:
Lol. So it's now about twisting his words. You'd have to work very hard then.

Let me ask, did you really read your link at all? How does saying he doesn't know if there's god or not mean he is atheist? It's either a theist or atheist?

These are his words...

"I’m not somebody who goes to church on a regular basis. The specific elements of Christianity are not something I’m a huge believer in."

He is either an Agnostic or an Atheist. But the fact is, because of discrimination and other factors, a lot of atheist like me don't like to come out directly and say- Yes, I don't believe in God. So, that might be the case here. But we have established a fact that he is not a religious man. That is all I wanted to state.
Re: Are Religious Countries More Likely To Be Poor? by Nobody: 10:01am On Feb 21, 2016
kay29000:

These are his words...

"I’m not somebody who goes to church on a regular basis. The specific elements of Christianity are not something I’m a huge believer in."

He is either an Agnostic or an Atheist. But the fact is, because of discrimination and other factors, a lot of atheist like me don't like to come out directly and say- Yes, I don't believe in God. So, that might be the case here. But we have established a fact that he is not a religious man. That is all I wanted to state.
Lololol. Why shorten the words. This is his complete statement:

'I’m not somebody who goes to church on a regular basis. The specific elements of Christianity are not something I’m a huge believer in. There’s a lot of merit in the moral aspects of religion. I think it can have a very very positive impact… In terms of doing things I take a fairly scientific approach to why things happen
and how they happen. I don’t know if there’s a god or not, but I think religious principles are quite valid.

From the above statement his clearly showing Agnostic tendencies. But what discrimination are you talking about?
Re: Are Religious Countries More Likely To Be Poor? by CoolUsername: 10:03am On Feb 21, 2016

1 Like

Re: Are Religious Countries More Likely To Be Poor? by kay29000(m): 10:04am On Feb 21, 2016
Reyginus:
Lololol. Why shorten the words. This is his complete statement:

'I’m not somebody who goes to church on a regular basis. The specific elements of Christianity are not something I’m a huge believer in. There’s a lot of merit in the moral aspects of religion. I think it can have a very very positive impact… In terms of doing things I take a fairly scientific approach to why things happen
and how they happen. I don’t know if there’s a god or not, but I think religious principles are quite valid.

From the above statement his clearly showing Agnostic tendencies. But what discrimination are you talking about?

You are not an Atheist, so you can't understand. Even the few people I told I am an atheist now look at me like I am evil...or a devil worshiper or something. Imagine telling your father in-law that you an atheist, do you think he would want you to marry his daughter? Nope. This and many more discrimination make Atheist not come out fully and tell you, YES, I DO NOT BELIEVE IN A MAN IN THE SKY. They would just dance around the issue. As I said, you can't understand unless you are an atheist.

1 Like

Re: Are Religious Countries More Likely To Be Poor? by kay29000(m): 10:07am On Feb 21, 2016
Re: Are Religious Countries More Likely To Be Poor? by Nobody: 10:25am On Feb 21, 2016
kay29000:

You are not an Atheist, so you can't understand. Even the few people I told I am an atheist now look at me like I am evil...or a devil worshiper or something. Imagine telling your father in-law that you an atheist, do you think he would want you to marry his daughter? Nope. This and many more discrimination make Atheist not come out fully and tell you, YES, I DO NOT BELIEVE IN A MAN IN THE SKY. They would just dance around the issue. As I said, you can't understand unless you are an atheist.
I don't think your case is discrimination. It is simply intolerance. In this same country Christians and Muslims will do the same thing you in-law will do. Atheist do not face any real discrimination here but just a parcel of the intolerance around.

1 Like

Re: Are Religious Countries More Likely To Be Poor? by kay29000(m): 10:32am On Feb 21, 2016
Reyginus:
I don't think your case is discrimination. It is simply intolerance. In this same country Christians and Muslims will do the same thing you in-law will do. Atheist do not face any real discrimination here but just a parcel of the intolerance around.

Okay.
Re: Are Religious Countries More Likely To Be Poor? by SamJed(m): 2:02pm On Feb 21, 2016
Amberon:
I think I Luke you smiley
if i got what u said, then am blushing...thank u smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Immortality And Science. What Are Your Views Atheists And Scientists? / Jesus Christ In Islam / Where Did Christians Get Their Concept Of Satan From ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.