Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,204 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:41 PM

If Benin Is Greater Than Yoruba, Why Cant Their Entire Population Fill A State - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / If Benin Is Greater Than Yoruba, Why Cant Their Entire Population Fill A State (5474 Views)

Yet Another Proof That Benin Is Far Older Than Ife... / Oba Of Benin Is My Father - Oba Of Lagos / Benin Kingdom Vs Yoruba Race: Why Oba Of Benin Is Number One, By Odia Ofeimun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

If Benin Is Greater Than Yoruba, Why Cant Their Entire Population Fill A State by vicadex07(m): 1:08pm On Feb 22, 2016
If the ancient Benin kingdom was ever greater than the Almighty Yorubas, Why cant there population in present day Nigeria fill up at least one state?
Re: If Benin Is Greater Than Yoruba, Why Cant Their Entire Population Fill A State by vicadex07(m): 1:10pm On Feb 22, 2016
cc;

OPCNAIRALAND

BOKOHALAL

AREWAFEDERATION

ABSOLUTESUCCESS
Re: If Benin Is Greater Than Yoruba, Why Cant Their Entire Population Fill A State by vicadex07(m): 1:10pm On Feb 22, 2016
Re: If Benin Is Greater Than Yoruba, Why Cant Their Entire Population Fill A State by Firefire(m): 1:12pm On Feb 22, 2016
vicadex07:
If the ancient Benin kingdom was ever greater than the Almighty Yorubas, Why cant there population in present day Nigeria fill up at least one state?

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

I don't do this tribal talk stuff, but the truth remains that Benin Kingdom is a subset of Ile-Ife Empire. ancestral dynasty of Yorubaland.

Shalom!

7 Likes

Re: If Benin Is Greater Than Yoruba, Why Cant Their Entire Population Fill A State by vicadex07(m): 1:20pm On Feb 22, 2016
Firefire:

I don't do this tribal talk stuff, but the truth remains that Benin Kingdom is a subset of Ile-Ife Empire.

Shalom!

Thank you my brother. All yorubas knows this innately, yet we don't flaunt it.

Those benin peeps are sometimes annoying. It wasn't even the intention of the Ooni to bring about the subject, yet they were quick to spew out rubbish.

Why could they just enjoy and bask in their ignorance in silence?

6 Likes

Re: If Benin Is Greater Than Yoruba, Why Cant Their Entire Population Fill A State by Nobody: 1:24pm On Feb 22, 2016
the ancient Benin empire covered different tribes.you can't compare the sort of power and influence the Benin empire wielded to that of any yoruba kingdom.
Re: If Benin Is Greater Than Yoruba, Why Cant Their Entire Population Fill A State by omonnakoda: 1:25pm On Feb 22, 2016
vicadex07:
Idiotic and childish post.Shame!! You better grow up and find employment

1 Like

Re: If Benin Is Greater Than Yoruba, Why Cant Their Entire Population Fill A State by omonnakoda: 1:27pm On Feb 22, 2016
Firefire:

I don't do this tribal talk stuff, but the truth remains that Benin Kingdom is a subset of Ile-Ife Empire.

Shalom!
And you got this truth from where? What is Ile-Ife Emipre exactly? please enlighten us
Re: If Benin Is Greater Than Yoruba, Why Cant Their Entire Population Fill A State by vicadex07(m): 1:27pm On Feb 22, 2016
omonnakoda:
Idiotic and childish post.Shame!! You better grow up and find employment

Lol... E pain am grin grin grin
Re: If Benin Is Greater Than Yoruba, Why Cant Their Entire Population Fill A State by omonnakoda: 1:30pm On Feb 22, 2016
vicadex07:

Lol... E pain am grin grin grin
Omo ale ni e . Se wo fe je Omo Odu'a ju emi lo ni. Omo eran ko a layi ni iran.
Loju ara e o n gbe ja Yoruba pelu kati kati ti o n ba ka. O ma da ko ye e ni te te te
Re: If Benin Is Greater Than Yoruba, Why Cant Their Entire Population Fill A State by vicadex07(m): 1:31pm On Feb 22, 2016
crusadistic:
the ancient Benin empire covered different tribes.you can't compare the sort of power and influence the Benin empire wielded to that of any yoruba kingdom.

Back up your false assertion with facts. All you people know how to do is scream "powerful ancient benin empire"

Where is the evidence of their ancient power in present day Nigeria. That's all am asking.

Scientist at least back up historical records with archeological records that can be found in present day.
Re: If Benin Is Greater Than Yoruba, Why Cant Their Entire Population Fill A State by vicadex07(m): 1:36pm On Feb 22, 2016
omonnakoda:
Omo ale ni e . Se wo fe je Omo Odu'a ju emi lo ni. Omo eran ko a layi ni iran.
Loju ara e o n gbe ja Yoruba pelu kati kati ti o n ba ka. O ma da ko ye e ni te te te

Guy, those curses are for your parents. I no come here to fight. Am here to put benin people in their place. We are not your mates

2 Likes

Re: If Benin Is Greater Than Yoruba, Why Cant Their Entire Population Fill A State by sunkieisland(m): 1:38pm On Feb 22, 2016
Been reading this Benin kingdom and yoruba race arguments for a couple of weeks now and i think that the supporters of the Benin kingdom are myopic in their assessment of the discourse.

The Yoruba kingdom extends as far as Dahomey, Ilorin and some parts of Ghana. And amongst Oduduwa's children, oba of Benin was definitely not the first.

The originator of these arguments also failed to mention some children of Oduduwa, like Onipopo of Popo, onisabe of Isabe.

BTW, i don't favour one tribe

#IamfromZion

5 Likes

Re: If Benin Is Greater Than Yoruba, Why Cant Their Entire Population Fill A State by eluquenson(m): 1:41pm On Feb 22, 2016
Ok oh
Re: If Benin Is Greater Than Yoruba, Why Cant Their Entire Population Fill A State by omonnakoda: 1:44pm On Feb 22, 2016
vicadex07:

Guy, those curses are for your parents. I no come here to fight. Am here to put benin people in their place. We are not your mates
Sango lo ma paa iya re. Beere lo ma rin lo won ko de ni ri mo. Dandan ni pee awon obi re o ni jere re.
Only a bastard and not a true omoluabi will go picking unnecessary and foolish fights.
Edo are brothers of Yoruba one way or another . We do not have any dispute with them. If you think it is funny or a cheap thrill you better go and find something to do. If there is any misunderstanding with Edo we will resolve it with Iwa pele that real Yoruba are know for not like the descendants of slave masquerading as Yoruba
Re: If Benin Is Greater Than Yoruba, Why Cant Their Entire Population Fill A State by Firefire(m): 1:44pm On Feb 22, 2016
omonnakoda:
And you got this truth from where? What is Ile-Ife Emipre exactly? please enlighten us

Directly from my forefather being a descendant of Oyo-Ile.

1 Like

Re: If Benin Is Greater Than Yoruba, Why Cant Their Entire Population Fill A State by omonnakoda: 1:46pm On Feb 22, 2016
Firefire:

Directly from my forefather being a descendant of Oyo-Ile.
What is Ile Ife Empire?
Re: If Benin Is Greater Than Yoruba, Why Cant Their Entire Population Fill A State by vicadex07(m): 1:47pm On Feb 22, 2016
omonnakoda:
Sango lo ma paa iya mi. Beere lo ma rin lo won ko de ni ri mo. Dandan ni pee awon obi re o ni jere mi.

Only a bastard like me and not a true omoluabi will go picking unnecessary and foolish fights.

Edo are brothers of Yoruba one way or another . We do not have any dispute with them. If you think it is funny or a cheap thrill you better go and find something to do.

If there is any misunderstanding with Edo we will resolve it with Iwa pele that real Yoruba are know for not like the descendants of slave masquerading as Yoruba
Re: If Benin Is Greater Than Yoruba, Why Cant Their Entire Population Fill A State by TonyeBarcanista(m): 1:47pm On Feb 22, 2016
Please don't start... @OP!

Thanks!

1 Like

Re: If Benin Is Greater Than Yoruba, Why Cant Their Entire Population Fill A State by vicadex07(m): 1:51pm On Feb 22, 2016
omonnakoda:
What is Ile Ife Empire?

It is Yoruba dynasty not Ile Ife empire. Where have you ever heard of Ile ife empire before. Do you think by attaching the word "empire", a non indigenous English word to the "benin" that makes them great?

You're a slowpoke

1 Like

Re: If Benin Is Greater Than Yoruba, Why Cant Their Entire Population Fill A State by Firefire(m): 1:52pm On Feb 22, 2016
omonnakoda:
What is Ile Ife Empire?

Okay, you are cleared with my source of information right.

Now to Ile-Ife Empire.

You will need to do a lot of reading and research, but the below is well document.

"Oduduwa had sons, daughters, and a grandson who went on to found their own kingdoms and empires, namely Ila Orangun, Owu, Ketu, Sabe, Popo and Oyo. Oranmiyan, Oduduwa's last born, was one of his father's principal ministers and overseer of the nascent Edo empire after Oduduwa granted the plea of the Edo people for his governance".

Let me know if you have any superior argument to invalidate the above ancient assertion.

Shalom!.

2 Likes

Re: If Benin Is Greater Than Yoruba, Why Cant Their Entire Population Fill A State by vicadex07(m): 1:52pm On Feb 22, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
Please don't start... @OP!

Thanks!
I thought you are from rivers? Or are you now bini again?
Re: If Benin Is Greater Than Yoruba, Why Cant Their Entire Population Fill A State by omonnakoda: 1:59pm On Feb 22, 2016
Firefire:

Okay, you are cleared with my source of information right.

Now to Ile-Ife Empire.

You will need to do a lot of reading and research, but the below is well document.

"Oduduwa had sons, daughters, and a grandson who went on to found their own kingdoms and empires, namely Ila Orangun, Owu, Ketu, Sabe, Popo and Oyo. Oranmiyan, Oduduwa's last born, was one of his father's principal ministers and overseer of the nascent Edo empire after Oduduwa granted the plea of the Edo people for his governance".

Let me know if you have any superior argument to invalidate the above ancient assertion.

Shalom!.

I am just seeking information. What is the Ile Ife empire?
Re: If Benin Is Greater Than Yoruba, Why Cant Their Entire Population Fill A State by omonnakoda: 2:04pm On Feb 22, 2016
vicadex07:

It is Yoruba dynasty not Ile Ife empire. Where have you ever heard of Ile ife empire before. Do you think by attaching the word "empire", a non indigenous English word to the "benin" that makes them great?

You're a slowpoke
The person I quoted introduced the term "Ile-Ife" empire so he needs to educate us about it. You certainly have no manners and no upbringing that is why you keep spitting like a rabid dog.
I have no said anything about Benin Empire. What I do know and what I promote is good relations between Edo and Yoruba . Not childish sensationalism because you wish to create thread. Some of us see far ahead long after your idiotic thread and you will have returned to your deserved obscurity. Yoruba do not need gratuitous enemies
I can only apologize to Edo brothers and urge them to give you the treatment you deserve which is to ignore you as one would a mad man on the street

3 Likes

Re: If Benin Is Greater Than Yoruba, Why Cant Their Entire Population Fill A State by TonyeBarcanista(m): 2:37pm On Feb 22, 2016
vicadex07:

I thought you are from rivers? Or are you now bini again?
I'm Ijaw not Bini but tired of seeing renewed ethnic clash...

I know where this will head to....

1 Like

Re: If Benin Is Greater Than Yoruba, Why Cant Their Entire Population Fill A State by vicadex07(m): 3:07pm On Feb 22, 2016
omonnakoda:
The person I quoted introduced the term "Ile-Ife" empire so he needs to educate us about it. You certainly have no manners and no upbringing that is why you keep spitting like a rabid dog.
I have no said anything about Benin Empire. What I do know and what I promote is good relations between Edo and Yoruba . Not childish sensationalism because you wish to create thread. Some of us see far ahead long after your idiotic thread and you will have returned to your deserved obscurity. Yoruba do not need gratuitous enemies
I can only apologize to Edo brothers and urge them to give you the treatment you deserve which is to ignore you as one would a mad man on the street

Like I have been saying, its your father and mother that are lunatics.

Obviously you are the one without home training because you were the first to start cursing your parents first on this thread.

My thread is a rebuttal to this one that was on frontpage this morning...

www.nairaland.com/2939437/benin-kingdom-vs-yoruba-race

What do you have to say about that thread omo ale, because it is only an omo ale Yoruba that will see such and not get angry.
Re: If Benin Is Greater Than Yoruba, Why Cant Their Entire Population Fill A State by seunny4lif(m): 3:08pm On Feb 22, 2016
grin

1 Like

Re: If Benin Is Greater Than Yoruba, Why Cant Their Entire Population Fill A State by vicadex07(m): 3:10pm On Feb 22, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

I'm Ijaw not Bini but tired of seeing renewed ethnic clash...

I know where this will head to....

But it was started by the mod that brought this rubbish... www.nairaland.com/2939437/benin-kingdom-vs-yoruba-race to frontpage this morning.
Re: If Benin Is Greater Than Yoruba, Why Cant Their Entire Population Fill A State by vicadex07(m): 3:27pm On Feb 22, 2016
PeterKbaba:
[b]My simple questions for the Benins will be:

How long did a runaway price from Benin take to walk from Benin to Ife (Probably 3 months).
How did he survive without food and water for this period?
How can a man so dirty and tired after walking for months, be able to convince the people in Ife, he came from the sky (A better place lol)?
What language did their prince speak to the Yoruba's in Ife when he got there and how were they able to understand?
How did the Benin know that their prince was alive in Yorubaland?

If the Benin claim they own the OBA title, Why did they have to change from Ogiso Dynasty to a new Oba Dynasty?
If you believe that Oduduwa was a prince from Ogiso, there should be no reason for the Dynasty change, you guys would have continued with the Ogiso.....

My Opinion is that, the Benin knew that the was no royal Male blood to carry on from the last Ogiso Dynasty. The was serious trouble in the Kingdom, so they called for help from their closest Spiritual/Prosperous Ife people to send a Royal male to impregnate their Royal princess, so the kingship could continue (Since kingship is from the Male blood line).

Unfortunately, Since a new Male Royal Blood from Ife arrived, they had to change Dynasty from Ogiso to Obaship.
End of Story[/b]

1 Like

Re: If Benin Is Greater Than Yoruba, Why Cant Their Entire Population Fill A State by bigfrancis21: 4:42pm On Feb 22, 2016
vicadex07:

For starters, power or influence is not necessarily about population or landmass. Israel, for example, has a small population of about 6 million jews and a tiny landmass country compared to the hundreds of millions of Arabs living in nations surrounding it with bigger landmass but it wields a very strong influence in the middle east region. A country's population is not necessarily a determinant of its power or influence.

It is well recorded in the annals of history that the kingdom of Benin DID wield huge influence and conquered neighbouring ethnic groups which were subjects to this kingdom. However, the kingdom did not think it imperative to impose their language on their conquered territories as they thought of the Bini language to be 'royal', and limited only to a few people and thus allowed the ethnic groups under them to keep onto their languages.

2 Likes

Re: If Benin Is Greater Than Yoruba, Why Cant Their Entire Population Fill A State by Nobody: 5:39pm On Feb 22, 2016
bigfrancis21:

For starters, power or influence is not necessarily about population or landmass. Israel, for example, has a small population of about 6 million jews and a tiny landmass country compared to the hundreds of millions of Arabs living in nations surrounding it with bigger landmass but it wields a very strong influence in the middle east region. A country's population is not necessarily a determinant of its power or influence.

It is well recorded in the annals of history that the kingdom of Benin DID wield huge influence and conquered neighbouring ethnic groups which were subjects to this kingdom. However, the kingdom did not think it imperative to impose their language on their conquered territories as they thought of the Bini language to be 'royal', and limited only to a few people and thus allowed the ethnic groups under them to keep onto their languages.

Very correct.
Re: If Benin Is Greater Than Yoruba, Why Cant Their Entire Population Fill A State by vicadex07(m): 5:55pm On Feb 22, 2016
bigfrancis21:

At least we can see the evidence of isreals supremacy till date.

What is the evidence of the power wielded by the so called "benin empire" in today's Nigeria?

When you compare both cultures, and people considering their achievements and influence till date, who do you think wields more superiority?

If a war was to break out between benin people and the Yoruba, who would be Victor?

Of what political influence is the Bini people today if they were so powerful back then?

If we are both linked by blood which seems to be so considering some similarities in culture and etymology, which culture appears more dominant?

All the so called supremacy attributed to the benin empire is embeded in "historical fiction" and as we all know history is subject to perception. My own account of an event we both witness will be different from yours putting human sentiments, bias and personal ability to recall events into consideration.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Funny Facts About Every Nigerian Girls You Must Know. / Why Does The Ooni Of Ife Make Use Of The Traditional Edo Eben Dancing Sword / Is There Any Country In Africa That Does Not Hate Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.