Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,768 members, 7,820,684 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:28 PM

"We Didnt Have The Money & No TV At Home"- Iheanacho Tells His Inspiring Story - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "We Didnt Have The Money & No TV At Home"- Iheanacho Tells His Inspiring Story (826 Views)

Yaya Toure Leaves Kelechi Iheanacho In An Imbroglio Over Man Of The Match Mixup / Iheanacho Wins CNN Goal Of The Week For The 2nd Time / AFCON Qualifiers: Mancity Writes About Iheanacho (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"We Didnt Have The Money & No TV At Home"- Iheanacho Tells His Inspiring Story by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:31pm On Feb 22, 2016
Rising star Kelechi Iheanacho in his first major interview since bursting into the big scene revealed that he came from a poor background and had to work hard to get to the level he is currently .

The 19-year-old has flourished in this season’s FA Cup, scoring at Norwich in the third round before a hat-trick against Aston Villa in the fourth . Iheanacho has scored nine goals already in his debut year for Manchester City .

The Imo state born Nigerian forward said he had to pay 50 naira to watch the biggest stars play in the Premier League .And sometimes when he couldn't even afford the money , he would sneak in for the second half and pay half of the money .

‘We didn’t have the money,’ he says. ‘Maybe after the game I’d hear the scores and all that. I’d be at home playing football and my friends would come back after being there to tell me. We didn’t have a television at home.’

Sometimes I watched the Spanish league — it was a bit cheaper, maybe 30 naira,’ he adds. ‘But the Premier League was 50. Sometimes I’d watch the Premier League if I found the money, or I’d go there and beg them to let me in. Or sneak in for the second half and pay half the money.I support Barcelona because I watched the Spanish league. I saw Yaya [Toure] playing for Barcelona... and now I’m playing with him. It’s a dream come true. I have to be my own man but he is a big influence in Africa. He has done a lot in Africa and I hope to do that as well.’
Iheanacho was to sign for Porto early in his career but he has no regrets on turning his back on the Portuguese club when City came knocking two years ago. He said :

‘I wasn’t expecting that,’ he says. ‘I was working with the EDS [Elite Development Squad]. He said I was going with them to Australia in pre-season and after we came back I was in the first team. I was a bit surprised.You feel a bit nervous, these are great players. It’s important to listen.I’m happy playing with them now and they give me confidence to play, they encourage me a lot. That doesn’t mean I’ll disrespect them or feel I’m one of them now. I wouldn’t just do anything I liked — I’ve got to keep my head down, keep working hard.’

Iheanacho's mum Mercy who was a teacher passed away in 2013, a few months before his life-changing Under 17 World Cup, and her memory serves as a constant source of determination.

'It was hard for us when my mother left us,’ Iheanacho reflects, suddenly holding back tears. ‘We couldn’t do anything so I said to myself "move on and keep working hard".She makes me work harder. When I’m not doing something right, or when I’m not playing or working hard enough, then I remember her. She pushed me to work hard.'

‘There are jobs [back home] but football has always been with me. When I was growing up they didn’t want me to do it because my mother was a teacher — they wanted me to go to school. But I love football and wanted to play — they wanted to stop me but couldn’t.

‘They wouldn’t allow me to play out after school but I went out anyway. Maybe I lost a bit of focus on my studies .It’s amazing when you go back home now, when you remember how you were before. You go back home and all those people are calling your name, shouting. I get mobbed by the kids. They want to see you, want to know you.’

Good story from Iheanacho and I wish him the very best !

Source : http://www.kingebuka.com/2016/02/we-didnt-have-money-we-didnt-have-tv-at.html

cc : lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: "We Didnt Have The Money & No TV At Home"- Iheanacho Tells His Inspiring Story by Twizzy30(m): 9:34pm On Feb 22, 2016
The money is here now
Re: "We Didnt Have The Money & No TV At Home"- Iheanacho Tells His Inspiring Story by AdonaiRoofing(m): 9:36pm On Feb 22, 2016
God is great

check my signature for your aluminium and stone tiles roofing
https://www.nairaland.com/2648990/planning-roof-house-contact-professionals
Re: "We Didnt Have The Money & No TV At Home"- Iheanacho Tells His Inspiring Story by gunuvi(m): 9:57pm On Feb 22, 2016
My only advice is not to forget your parents especially your mum. I am speaking from experience though. God bless you
Re: "We Didnt Have The Money & No TV At Home"- Iheanacho Tells His Inspiring Story by missdebs(f): 10:15pm On Feb 22, 2016
this one is 19, make I break
Re: "We Didnt Have The Money & No TV At Home"- Iheanacho Tells His Inspiring Story by sonofthunder: 9:24am On Feb 23, 2016
missdebs:
why don't you believe he is?
Re: "We Didnt Have The Money & No TV At Home"- Iheanacho Tells His Inspiring Story by sonofthunder: 9:25am On Feb 23, 2016
missdebs:
why don't you believe he is?
Re: "We Didnt Have The Money & No TV At Home"- Iheanacho Tells His Inspiring Story by sonofthunder: 9:27am On Feb 23, 2016
gunuvi:
My only advice is not to forget your parents especially your mum. I am speaking from experience though. God bless you
I guess you didn't read the poster
Re: "We Didnt Have The Money & No TV At Home"- Iheanacho Tells His Inspiring Story by gunuvi(m): 9:42am On Feb 23, 2016
sonofthunder:

I guess you didn't read the poster
I read it but many will come out after fame and say a lot and appreciate their parent in public but yet will not take care of them.
Re: "We Didnt Have The Money & No TV At Home"- Iheanacho Tells His Inspiring Story by sonofthunder: 10:29am On Feb 23, 2016
gunuvi:

I read it but many will come out after fame and say a lot and appreciate their parent in public but yet will not take care of them.
I get you
Re: "We Didnt Have The Money & No TV At Home"- Iheanacho Tells His Inspiring Story by KingEbukasBlog(m): 4:18pm On Feb 23, 2016
smiley . We thank God for his story abi lalasticlala wink
Re: "We Didnt Have The Money & No TV At Home"- Iheanacho Tells His Inspiring Story by Nobody: 5:30pm On Feb 23, 2016
Good sh*t. Hope he only goes higher and higher till he gets lost in space

(1) (Reply)

Barcelona Spark Fan Anger After Congratulating Real Madrid’s CL Victory / Ronaldo Is Better Than Messi / Nigeria U-23 Team Starting XI VS Sweden

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.