Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,159 members, 7,818,527 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:58 PM

Speculators Get Their Fingers Burnt, Naira Strengthens To N310/$ - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Speculators Get Their Fingers Burnt, Naira Strengthens To N310/$ (40674 Views)

Speculators Get Their Fingers Burnt, Naira Strengthens To N310/$(2016) / Naira Strengthens To N435/$ On CBN Dollar Glut / Speculators Get Burnt As Naira Gains Value (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Speculators Get Their Fingers Burnt, Naira Strengthens To N310/$ by odiks: 5:43am On Feb 24, 2016
• BDCs to introduce forex band, reforms for parallel market

Foreign currency speculators, who launched an unprecedented attack against the naira in the last two weeks, got their fingers burnt on Tuesday when the nation’s currency staged a major recovery, rising to N310 to a dollar at the close of business, compared to N375 at which it sold on Monday.

The naira fell to an all-time low of about N400 to a dollar on the parallel market last week fuelling concerns that it would plummet further to N450-N500/$ this week.

But findings from THISDAY showed that the naira defied expectations, climbing to as high as N305 to the dollar at some parallel market points in Lagos on Tuesday afternoon, before settling at N310.

Forex dealers and currency analysts attributed the significant gain on the parallel market to excess supply of the greenback in the market, even as it looked like a lot of speculators lost the shirts on their back.

THISDAY gathered from a reliable source that speculators who thought that by attacking the currency last week, coupled with misplaced concerns that the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) was going to stop the allocation of forex for school fees and medical bills abroad, this would compel the central bank and President Muhammadu Buhari to alter their stance against the devaluation of the currency.

But they were disappointed when Buhari, in Egypt at the weekend, adamantly ruled out the devaluation of the naira on the grounds that Nigeria does not have the competitive advantage to benefit from an official currency adjustment.

Reacting to the president’s stance, speculators who had been betting that the naira would depreciate further, started dumping the dollars with reckless abandon, effectively creating excess supply of the greenback in the parallel market.

Commenting on the situation in the secondary forex market, the chairman, Association of Bureau de Change Operators of Nigeria (ABCON), Alhaji Aminu Gwadabe, said: “The market is moving from perception to reality.”

Similarly, an analyst at Ecobank Nigeria, Mr. Kunle Ezun, predicted that the naira would edge higher in the coming days.

“We expect that the naira would appreciate further. We have always said that what happened last week was purely a speculative attack.

Some people felt that if they pushed the naira down to that level, they could force the CBN to devalue, so that when the naira is devalued and the gap widens further, they would now bring out the dollar cash to make a kill,” Ezun said.

He however urged the fiscal authorities to introduce policies that would help stimulate economic activities, saying that the fundamentals of the economy were still weak.

ABCON also aligned with the federal government’s decision not to further devalue the naira.
Gwadabe said this at a media briefing, pointing out that devaluing the naira would create more problems than it would solve.

He said that as a way of enhancing transparency in the BDC sub-sector, his association had decided to introduce a forex rate band weekly.

This rate band is expected to serve as a guide for all BDCs and the public on the prevailing exchange rate across the country, he added.
In addition, it will be operated in line with the regulated forex rate in the economy.

“This is to forestall exploitation of forex end users, and also to ensure that end users are informed to avoid falling victims of exploitation.

“The band will be announced via weekly press releases that will be circulated to the media for publication.

“ABCON will introduce a series of measures aimed at transforming the operations of BDCs in Nigeria to align with global best practices. These include: review and updating of BDC operational manual; introduction of live trading platforms; automation of all transactions and documentation requirements; and increased partnership with the CBN and other relevant agencies.

“Further, as part of its responsibility as a self regulatoryorganisation (SRO), and also in continuation of its aim to transform its members to compete within the global regulatory currency market, ABCON will seek the approval of relevant monetary and fiscal authorities as well as partnership for effective use of the nation's external reserves to enhance domestic trade and foreign exchange management.

“To this end, our website and internet platforms will be developed to position BDCs to serve as agents of Western Union and currency auctioneers.

“We would also develop platforms that will allow our members to access sources of autonomous foreign exchange like govt agencies, embassies, IOCs and export proceeds, etc,” he explained.
He also urged the federal government to introduce policies that would diversify the economy to increase non-oil export earnings, and reduce imports.

This, according to him, would lead to increased foreign exchange inflow and a reduction in demand for foreign exchange.

In addition to policies that would diversify the economy, ABCON suggested that the CBN should review the policy of dollar importation into the economy for the purpose of defending the naira.

According to the association, the central bank should introduce a policy whereby the naira is used to intervene in the real sectors of the economy to boost productivity.

Furthermore, Gwadabe said as a way of reducing demand for dollars, the CBN should explore the option of promoting the use and acceptability of naira for transactions within the West African sub-region.

He added: “We observe that this is already happening at the level of informal trading activities within the sub-region, and it is our belief that this can be replicated at the level of formal economic activities.”

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/speculators-get-their-fingers-burnt-naira-strengthens-to-n310-/232783/

11 Likes

Re: Speculators Get Their Fingers Burnt, Naira Strengthens To N310/$ by HungerBAD: 5:44am On Feb 24, 2016
Sai Buhari.

Where are those that called Buhari a Dullard?

Where are those that insulted the Minister of Finance?

Where are the Doom Prophets?

When we said this artificial scarcity of Dollars, was orchestrated by the last standing soldiers of the Clueless one, we were called names. It's alright, Nigeria is getting there now.

Buhari 5- Boko Haram 0

Buhari 5- Corruption 0

Buhari 5- Artificial scarcity 0

Buhari 5- MTN 0

Buhari 5- The Economy IMPROVING.

Changeeeeee.

337 Likes 30 Shares

Re: Speculators Get Their Fingers Burnt, Naira Strengthens To N310/$ by GudluckIBB(m): 5:45am On Feb 24, 2016
Everyone knows it was an artificial scarcity.

48 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Speculators Get Their Fingers Burnt, Naira Strengthens To N310/$ by olu77(m): 5:49am On Feb 24, 2016
Narrow escape for me as I was about to begin this buy and sell business. I was about to buy dollar in U.S for 330 to sell in Nigeria for 400+ angry

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Speculators Get Their Fingers Burnt, Naira Strengthens To N310/$ by kahal29: 5:50am On Feb 24, 2016
HungerBAD:
Sai Buhari.

Where them dey...... Fake Analyst and Economist..... One by one them don dey go.

67 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Speculators Get Their Fingers Burnt, Naira Strengthens To N310/$ by odiks: 5:55am On Feb 24, 2016
“We expect that the naira would appreciate further. We have always said that what happened last week was purely a speculative attack". - Ecobank Analyst

50 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Speculators Get Their Fingers Burnt, Naira Strengthens To N310/$ by olu77(m): 5:56am On Feb 24, 2016
HungerBAD:
Sai Buhari.

When we said this artificial scarcity of Dollars, was orchestrated by the last standing soldiers of the Clueless one, we were called names. It's alright, Nigeria is getting there now.

You are worrying yourself, wailers are merely bitter that the end of looting has come and they have no other skill or talent to make a living. If they can't beat the succeeding party they will eventually join them. Some emotional ones are busy shouting rising sun at sunset. Funny lots...change is here to stay

120 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Speculators Get Their Fingers Burnt, Naira Strengthens To N310/$ by PentiumPro(f): 5:57am On Feb 24, 2016
olu77:
Narrow escape for me as I was about to beging this buy and sale business. I was about to buy dollar in U.S for 330 to sell in Nigeria for 400+ angry
grin grin grin grin
You are obviously one of the unpatriotic speculators trying to make gain without adding value to the economy.

96 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Speculators Get Their Fingers Burnt, Naira Strengthens To N310/$ by seunmsg(m): 5:59am On Feb 24, 2016
Kudos to the president for standing is ground despite the pressure. Before the end of the week, the Naira would have relied back and stabilise at under N300 to a dollar. Shame on all the unpatriotic wailers who take pride in running down the government and abusing the president for doing the right thing.

The attack on our currency will be wade off, the economy will stabilise and the PMB administration will bring the desired change to the country.

89 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Speculators Get Their Fingers Burnt, Naira Strengthens To N310/$ by olu77(m): 6:00am On Feb 24, 2016
PentiumPro:

You are obviously one of the unpatriotic speculators trying to make gain without adding value to the economy.

grin grin grin beautiful you.

I run a home for fatherless children, all the proceed would have gone there.

Now am I patriotic or not?

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Speculators Get Their Fingers Burnt, Naira Strengthens To N310/$ by kahal29: 6:00am On Feb 24, 2016
olu77:
Narrow escape for me as I was about to begin this buy and sell business. I was about to buy dollar in U.S for 330 to sell in Nigeria for 400+ angry

Thank God for your life..... Else your whole body would have been burnt not just your fingers alone.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Speculators Get Their Fingers Burnt, Naira Strengthens To N310/$ by kahal29: 6:00am On Feb 24, 2016
seunmsg:
Kudos to the president for standing is ground despite the pressure. Before the end of the week, the Naira would have relied back and stabilise to under N300 to a dollar. Shame on all the unpatriotic wailers

I dey tell you

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Speculators Get Their Fingers Burnt, Naira Strengthens To N310/$ by jcross19: 6:01am On Feb 24, 2016
HungerBAD:
Sai Buhari.

Buhari 5- Boko Haram 0

Buhari 5- Corruption 0

Buhari 5- Artificial scarcity 0

Buhari 5- MTN 0

Buhari 5- The Economy IMPROVING.
we need a better nigeria not by shouting sai baba, this time now baba is saudi arabia , hitting his head on the floor. So I pray more strength to our naira please. I love buhari stand on that devaluation that's good.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Speculators Get Their Fingers Burnt, Naira Strengthens To N310/$ by PentiumPro(f): 6:04am On Feb 24, 2016
olu77:

grin grin grin beautiful you.

I run a home for fatherless children, all the proceed would have gone there.

Now am I patriotic or not?

Lol! You are not! What you were trying to do is purely Rent seeking, making money without creating wealth.

16 Likes

Re: Speculators Get Their Fingers Burnt, Naira Strengthens To N310/$ by uzokasi1964(m): 6:04am On Feb 24, 2016
Buhari is one lucky human being,looks like his economic stubborness is paying off!!! cheesy

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Speculators Get Their Fingers Burnt, Naira Strengthens To N310/$ by LoveMachine(m): 6:04am On Feb 24, 2016
When the Naira fully recovers people better start apologizing to Buhari and Emefiele. Bless those men with more strength,knowledge and follow through. We're getting there.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Speculators Get Their Fingers Burnt, Naira Strengthens To N310/$ by kahal29: 6:06am On Feb 24, 2016
jcross19:
we need a better nigeria not by shouting sai baba, this time now baba is saudi arabia , hitting his head on the floor. So I pray more strength to our naira please. I love buhari stand on that devaluation that's good.

Mmmmmh.

Here is what My Able President is doing in Saudi. Read and be enlightened.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/buhari-s-oil-agenda-in-saudi-arabia/232729/

13 Likes

Re: Speculators Get Their Fingers Burnt, Naira Strengthens To N310/$ by olu77(m): 6:08am On Feb 24, 2016
PentiumPro:

Lol! You are not! What you were trying to do is purely Rent seeking, making money without creating wealth.

Believe me beauty grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Speculators Get Their Fingers Burnt, Naira Strengthens To N310/$ by modath(f): 6:14am On Feb 24, 2016
All the Pseudo economist on orijin+alomo running their traps & creating misinformed threads on NL within the past few days have been left with eggs on their faces!!

It should go back to 220 first, then we can talk!

40 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Speculators Get Their Fingers Burnt, Naira Strengthens To N310/$ by Bugatie(m): 6:20am On Feb 24, 2016
Good one for Nigeria,

Seems Buhari nicodemusly contacted Ifeanyi Ubah[quote][/quote]

7 Likes

Re: Speculators Get Their Fingers Burnt, Naira Strengthens To N310/$ by kahal29: 6:35am On Feb 24, 2016
modath:

All the Pseudo economist on orijin+alomo running their traps & creating misinformed threads on NL within the past few days have been left with eggs on their faces!!

Tell them Oooo

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Speculators Get Their Fingers Burnt, Naira Strengthens To N310/$ by Savigne(f): 6:37am On Feb 24, 2016
The first thing I said when I read this was "Praise God"...
Thats how I went to buy plantain yesterday and the seller gave me some miserable looking plantain for 200h,when I asked why,she looked at me like I was daft and replied "Dollar don dear"...Na so I jejely carry myself and said plantain face house oo.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Speculators Get Their Fingers Burnt, Naira Strengthens To N310/$ by odiks: 6:37am On Feb 24, 2016
Lalasticlala..... Front page
Re: Speculators Get Their Fingers Burnt, Naira Strengthens To N310/$ by Olaide1295: 6:51am On Feb 24, 2016
I heard Buhari went to pray in Mecca,God has answered his prayers....lol
God bless Emefiele
God bless the General
God bless Nigeria
#IStandWithBuhari

25 Likes

Re: Speculators Get Their Fingers Burnt, Naira Strengthens To N310/$ by yomalex(m): 6:54am On Feb 24, 2016
modath:

Say IT Loud

5 Likes

Re: Speculators Get Their Fingers Burnt, Naira Strengthens To N310/$ by Stalwert: 7:24am On Feb 24, 2016
The majority of Nigerians stand with Buhari. Wr are fighting for our today and children's future. Forces of retrogression are insisting we maintain the status quo but we say Change is inevitable.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Speculators Get Their Fingers Burnt, Naira Strengthens To N310/$ by RichYoungNigga: 7:30am On Feb 24, 2016
Analysis from uneducated people.
So, because naira gained 60 naira, you have the courage to dance around ??

The oil sale is only source of Nigeria income, what happens when the top dogs like Saudi Arabia and Iran floods the market with excessive oil ?? and they also sells way cheaper.

This your jubilation will turn to sorrow soon.
Let's watch and see.
Next month, $1 will exchange for 500 naira.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Speculators Get Their Fingers Burnt, Naira Strengthens To N310/$ by acunon: 7:30am On Feb 24, 2016
This is jst bullshit, business is still not stable

2 Likes

Re: Speculators Get Their Fingers Burnt, Naira Strengthens To N310/$ by cutetopsey(f): 7:30am On Feb 24, 2016
yes
Re: Speculators Get Their Fingers Burnt, Naira Strengthens To N310/$ by tuoyoojo(m): 7:30am On Feb 24, 2016
this is great news

however this is not good enough

let it go back to at least 199

from there we can start ranting

sai baba

for now na siddon look

3 Likes

Re: Speculators Get Their Fingers Burnt, Naira Strengthens To N310/$ by humanbeing5th(f): 7:31am On Feb 24, 2016
g
Re: Speculators Get Their Fingers Burnt, Naira Strengthens To N310/$ by Nobody: 7:31am On Feb 24, 2016
Matters arising. . . .

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Tony Elumelu Hits The Gym To Burn Out Christmas Calories (Photos) / POS Scammers Caught In Benin City (Picture, Video) / Dangote, Abdulsamad Rabiu And Dahiru Mangal In Mecca (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.