Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,282 members, 7,836,256 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:44 AM

Why Have Christians Become So Materialistic? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Have Christians Become So Materialistic? (785 Views)

How Christians Become Atheists / Shiite Members Celebrate Christmas With Christians In Kaduna (Photos) / Why Are Christians Such Liars? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Have Christians Become So Materialistic? by Nobody: 9:41am On Feb 24, 2016
Most Christians I meet online and offline tend to measure God's grace in their lives by the number of treasures they have been able to lay up on earth (in spite of the Christ's warnings about laying up treasures on earth) . For a lot, materialistic possession equates with success. I tried to make some of these Christians realize that there is more to success than laying up treasures. I mentioned the legends, Wole Soyinka and the late Chinua Achebe as examples of people who (are) were not as rich as Dangote but command(ed) more respect and had the ears of kings and presidents because of their accomplishments in the field of literature.

It is surprising, almost shocking, that my atheist friends are not even near as vain and materialistic as my Christian friends. You see them "tapping" into the successes of their pastors instead of calling for moderation. Now, most of my Christian friends (most of them attend Winners Chapel) dream of owning a jet in future. There is even one of them who intends to be a pastor who goes about boasting that God has shown him that his ministry will be like that of Oyedepo in terms of size and wealth.

Why have Christians become so materialistic. Even more materialistic than the "children of the world"?

1 Like

Re: Why Have Christians Become So Materialistic? by mctowel01: 7:56pm On Mar 11, 2016
Bro, the truth is always hidden in threads like this. I keep telling people something about religion.. Rather than the religion shaping you on how to live life, life actually shapes you on how to use religion. So no matter what the bible eants to say, the economic situation will still force people to use faith, belief, seed sowing and all as most of church activities. Its why you see only the old testament parts supporting financial benefits still useful and those with ridiculous laws and activities ignored as "it was the law". Its why the hidden verses on seed sowing and fighting enemies of progress are more useful than the beatitudes. Lots of Christians don't know what the beatitudes is. Everyone wants to be earthly rich, pastors being the main drivers of this movement. So, our harsh economy will always tell on what we need religion for.

(1) (Reply)

You Are Dead Already, Take Your Burial Date - Pastor Blast El-rufai AgainĀ (video / 10 Reasons Why Islam Is Religion Of Peace ! / Crisis Amongst Christians In Nigeria: CAN Elections (must Read)!!!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.