Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,856 members, 7,817,536 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:56 PM

My Experience With Yahoo Boys At Emeka Offor Plaza_ Onitsha In Anambra State. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / My Experience With Yahoo Boys At Emeka Offor Plaza_ Onitsha In Anambra State. (2642 Views)

Confessions Of A FUNAAB Yahoo Yahoo Boy; The Tales Of Gbadebo / Emeka And The Warrior Princess Adaobi / [story] My Life As A Yahoo Boy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience With Yahoo Boys At Emeka Offor Plaza_ Onitsha In Anambra State. by BobUg28(m): 3:28pm On Feb 24, 2016
[I can still recall it like it happened yesterday. It was on that faithful sunny friday afternoon when the blaring sun was threatening to burn everything that emits carbon four oxide. I hastily sprout-off from the couch in the parlour when my phone rang, briskly walked into our visitors' room where I had neatly arranged all my ironed clothes in my newly acquired Italian Samsonite Brown Leather Bag. Picked up my casual navy blue coloured jeans, white singlet with my red t-shirt. Wore them and dart out of the house towards the street that connects upper Iweka stood awaiting Okada man to cruise me down to EMEKA OFFOR PLAZA.

Few years back, after my stay with one of my cousin brother at Fegge, I went to Emeka Offor's plaza to buy one Chinese phone that was in vogue then. Though in Anambra will understand better.

When I stepped-in to the plaza, some phone retailers at the foot of the plaza were beckoning on me to buy from them while some other guys declared interest to help me buy the desired phone that I needed. Initially, I was determined to buy it from a trusted dealer where I could get the refund of my money if in any case the phone developed an unexpected problem.

Finally, I chose to follow one slender guy (that was relatively smaller than I were then) who offered to take me to where I 'll get the phone cheaper and also get the best quality that will last for long. The idea to follow the young dude was basically on the far that I could take it up with him if he decides to act anything h funny not knowing that they have string of contingents sprawled/scattered all over the whole places.

To cut the story short, I followed him to the main plaza where we finally bought the phone from one particular beautiful fair lady I presumed should be in either her late 20s or early 30s after haggling on the price. After I payed the lady who sold the phone to me, we walked downstairs through the old-rusty bannister that suspended the already weary staircase to the open busy areas where there were lots of other guys that sat adjacent to each other with their laptops downloading music for some their customers.

While we were still at the upstairs, the guy asked if I 'd like to download music,videos and pictures etc.. I nodded in affirmative with the excitement that had filled my heart because of the new phone I 'd just acquired for myself without knowing that he has some aces up his sleeves.

We walked straight downstairs, followed right wing, then turned south in the array of DJs and some phone retailers that sampled their phones in a gigantic transparent show glasses. We walked passed them, move into the inner chamber of the suites. Then, he lead me to the extreme of the suit that looks more like a dungeon , introduced me to one huge guy with a frightening biceps.

Fear gripped me at the sight of that heavily built folk who could stand the then Simon Peter and win him outrightly but I never wanted to show my fears. Then I maintained my indifferent mood as he motioned me to seat on a size stool. I sat down, thrust my right hand inside my breast pocket only to noticed it was hidden deep inside my Jean back pocket. I stood up from the chair rummaged on my pocket, on an impulse, I brought out my new phone then showed him. He complimented me after tossing it around.

"Nnah, Ekwenti gi a mechiri akwukwo" ( bro, this your phone makes sense die) See the kind phone wey you go buy. How much kill this machine " he asked rather sarcastically. I laughed and thanked him sincerely for his compliments. Right inside my head I knew my phone wasn't worthy to attract such kind of compliment I don't want to reveal my fear cos right on his table were Motorola G77, NOKIA E40 etc. Then I proudly told him how much I bought the phone with intent that he'll shutdown every other discourse and focus on my G-tide..Lol.

The truth was that I loved that phone, the features and how easy it was to operate. I had once seen it with a schoolmate (friend) the first time I travelled to Nnewi to visit one of my aunt . We bumped in to each other while I was returning from Uruagu where I went to deliver messages my auntie sent me.

We exchanged pleasantries amid joy and happiness with an unprecedented surprise I had never had then at Nnewi. I never thought I would ran into a friend like that. In short, he was the last person I was hoping to see. We never discussed it while we were still in school back in the village . Although, he once told me that he might be travelling to Lagos if the proposition he submitted to her sister in-law got approved. Surprisingly, we met, greeted, discussed about few things and finally we decided to exchange numbers. I fumbled into my pocket, brought out my Nokia 1200 (twelve hundred) keyed-in his phone number as he called them out freely . I was left with my mouth ajar, eyes wide open immediately as he he brought out his ringing phone from his jean pocket which I dialled.

"Wow" I grimaced out at the sight of that beautiful remarkable Chinese technology called Gi-tide. Whoever came up with design must be a genius, every thing about the phone was correct. The rainbow coloured ribbon that was used to design the phone reflect a glittering rays of the sun light the shown down from the West made me drool for the phone.

From thence, I made up my mind that before I return back to Onitsha, that I 'll Infact MUST buy the phone. It was a promise and I was hopefully determined to fulfil it at all cost. Even though, it will amount to travelling back home without any beverages, new cloths, note books and text books .

"Emeka, how much did you bought this phone?" I asked as I stretched forth my hand to collect the orange-coloured phone from him.

"Ugooo, honestly I don't know, I wasn't the one who bought it. It was my uncle. He didn't apprised me on how much he bought it but I know it wasn't more than four thousand Naira or thereabouts cos I over heard him saying something about G-tide and 4000+ when he was discussing with a friend on phone..." At the hearing of four thousand naira, I made a quick calculations of how much I had in my bag there in Onitsha. Then I remembered the money I had saved from transport, afternoon foods and the ones friends and my brother's customers dashed me in the shop that my money was totalling if not over N4850.

Great! Am good to go...I was feeling like 2pac after analysing how much I had within my mind. I later came up with the conclusion that I will definitely buy the phone as soon as I stepped-in to Onitsha- my primary home base.

-----
I never wanted to show my fear especially when I looked up to his face and see the dark goggle eye glass he used enshrined his two fierce looking frog-like eye.

I asked him amidst his compliment 'how much do you download songs, movies and pictures?' He told me that music is N20, movie N30 and pictures N10 for each of them. After reeling out there their prices, I did a mental calculation on how to download them.

I had N700 with me including my transport fare back to fegge. I thought of downloading 20musics for N400, 5movies for N150 and 5picture for N50 hoping that I 'll still have some balance that will be enough to cater for my T-fare back to my street.

I told him what I thought in the midst of the humming sound of Wizboyy's Owusagi track that was blaring from a six loader home theatre. I thought he heard me not knowing it was part of their gimmicks to disclaim ever hearing what I said cos he went ahead and transferred over 403 songs, 5 different pictures with 5 music videos _all short and abrupt.

After fiddling with his mouse, he said that my money totalled N1,060. I screamed! "But I never say you should download such number for me" I barked in a dead silent hushed voice that wasn't loud enough to be heard 50metres away from where I stood with a stuttering voice.

"Listen young man! I don't have time for all this your cock and bull stories. If you don't want to pay me my money, I 'll cease your phone and lock you up with the market management until your brother will come and bail you." he retorted back at me with a deep sorronous voice that sent a cold chill down my aching throat.
Fear caught me at the hearing of that his hunky voice, I can't imagine loosing my newly acquired phone to such deadly skin headed dude after risking my entire holidays savings. The devil is a lair. And subsequently, I can't afford to inform my brother, cos I was covertly hiding it from him. I never wanted him to know that I bought a new phone. He will definitely get mad at me cos there are several other more important things I 'd have used the money for. But brewing egolistic tendency in me and the feel of self-importance when I returns back from the holidays , never gave room for second thought. All that was on my mind was to get the phone first every other thing will naturally fix itself.

I began begging them with all manner of sincerity feigning innocent face. I told him that the only money I had on me was N700 including my transport. That they should consider taking N650 and give me N50 which I 'll use for my transport.
All my pleas went on a deaf ear...
At the end, he agreed to give me back my phone after one of their(supposed) member of their contingent interfered on the matter on my behalf. I was so elated that I promised to send the guy N750 MTN recharge card when I gets to the house. I borrowed their pen and penned down his phone number, made to give him money from my pocket before I noticed that I was left with nothing.

I briskly walked away from the plaza down to the main road through a narrow boulevard, that connects to the main road which stretched to Upper-Iweka._The number one busiest market in West African. Several groups of businessmen and women were busy dusting and beckoning on passers-by to patronise them almost at the same time. I never cared for anything else. All that was on my mind was to get home. I have seen enough to call it a day.

Immediately I crossed the other end of the road, I made to flagged down a moving transit bus then jumped in almost immediately, it occurred to me that it was filled to the brim with different set of people ranging from those whom I suppose were heading back to either Oba, Nnobi, Awka, or Asaba. I brought out my( nokia) phone, glanced through it and the time reads 16:48..Almost 5pm?

"Ah!, if I don't hurry up now, I might be held down on a gridlock. If my brother happens to return before me and I don't have any substantial reason to give, it might possibly result to a different thing all together ." I thought.

I stood close to the road waiting for another bus that will take me to upper iweka then I would trek down to our street even though it was a stone thrown from Upper Iweka.

Not too long, I saw one old green painted bus looking more like a dilapidated Indian made sedan with its pixels rattling, and four tyres wobbling coming adjacent from my left hand side where I stood. Quickly, I hopped onto the moving vehicle that was fast enough run faster than a heavily loaded wheelbarrow as we crawled past EMEKA OFFOR PLAZA heading towards UPPER IWEKA . All that I had in mind was to get going

I sat down and fumbled inside my pocket, brought out my newly acquired wonderful Chinese technology called Gi-tide. Only God knows how wide my shoulder were cos I was feeling like an emir of Kano at that moment. I thought of how smart I was;

First, by cunning and wriggling my way out from those wicked dreaded contingents who had threatened to cease my phone and lock me up in their guard room. What would have been my fate if news happened to get to my senior brother that I was locked up in Emeka Offor's plaza cos I don't have enough money to pay for the music I downloaded? It would have been funny but if care is not taking, it would cost me my holidays' packagess. Imagine going for holidays and return empty handed. That's going to be an epic fail.

Secondly, I saw myself as a good bargainer who made it to slash-off N700 off the actual price that was boldly written on the price tag I saw on the phone right inside a show-glass. It was a feelin that almost gave me an orgas.m.

YOU CAN GET THE REST OF THE STORY AT:[size=8pt][/size]

Www.bobugeee..com
[/i]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience With Yahoo Boys At Emeka Offor Plaza_ Onitsha In Anambra State. by Nobody: 3:33pm On Feb 24, 2016
Reading

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience With Yahoo Boys At Emeka Offor Plaza_ Onitsha In Anambra State. by christaddicted: 4:10pm On Feb 24, 2016
Hmmmm.. Wow! Fascinating.. Buh Couldn't read the long epistle though.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience With Yahoo Boys At Emeka Offor Plaza_ Onitsha In Anambra State. by BobUg28(m): 4:49pm On Feb 24, 2016
modelmike7:
Reading

Weldone bro.
Re: My Experience With Yahoo Boys At Emeka Offor Plaza_ Onitsha In Anambra State. by BobUg28(m): 4:51pm On Feb 24, 2016
christaddicted:
Hmmmm.. Wow! Fascinating..
Buh Couldn't read the long epistle though.

Really, it takes patience to read through long epistle
Re: My Experience With Yahoo Boys At Emeka Offor Plaza_ Onitsha In Anambra State. by LarrySun(m): 11:57pm On Feb 24, 2016
I love the beautiful sense of description, the subtle humour and the vividness of the plots. I felt like the protagonist. I could hear his thoughts in my head as I read on. This is a very nice job, Sir Bob. With some few editing and modifications, it can turn out a masterpiece.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Yahoo Boys At Emeka Offor Plaza_ Onitsha In Anambra State. by Viccur(m): 10:03pm On May 09, 2016
BobUg28:
[I can still recall it like it happened yesterday. It was on that faithful sunny friday afternoon when the blaring sun was threatening to burn everything that emits carbon four oxide. I hastily sprout-off from the couch in the parlour when my phone rang, briskly walked into our visitors' room where I had neatly arranged all my ironed clothes in my newly acquired Italian Samsonite Brown Leather Bag. Picked up my casual navy blue coloured jeans, white singlet with my red t-shirt. Wore them and dart out of the house towards the street that connects upper Iweka stood awaiting Okada man to cruise me down to EMEKA OFFOR PLAZA.

Few years back, after my stay with one of my cousin brother at Fegge, I went to Emeka Offor's plaza to buy one Chinese phone that was in vogue then. Though in Anambra will understand better.

When I stepped-in to the plaza, some phone retailers at the foot of the plaza were beckoning on me to buy from them while some other guys declared interest to help me buy the desired phone that I needed. Initially, I was determined to buy it from a trusted dealer where I could get the refund of my money if in any case the phone developed an unexpected problem.

Finally, I chose to follow one slender guy (that was relatively smaller than I were then) who offered to take me to where I 'll get the phone cheaper and also get the best quality that will last for long. The idea to follow the young dude was basically on the far that I could take it up with him if he decides to act anything h funny not knowing that they have string of contingents sprawled/scattered all over the whole places.

To cut the story short, I followed him to the main plaza where we finally bought the phone from one particular beautiful fair lady I presumed should be in either her late 20s or early 30s after haggling on the price. After I payed the lady who sold the phone to me, we walked downstairs through the old-rusty bannister that suspended the already weary staircase to the open busy areas where there were lots of other guys that sat adjacent to each other with their laptops downloading music for some their customers.

While we were still at the upstairs, the guy asked if I 'd like to download music,videos and pictures etc.. I nodded in affirmative with the excitement that had filled my heart because of the new phone I 'd just acquired for myself without knowing that he has some aces up his sleeves.

We walked straight downstairs, followed right wing, then turned south in the array of DJs and some phone retailers that sampled their phones in a gigantic transparent show glasses. We walked passed them, move into the inner chamber of the suites. Then, he lead me to the extreme of the suit that looks more like a dungeon , introduced me to one huge guy with a frightening biceps.

Fear gripped me at the sight of that heavily built folk who could stand the then Simon Peter and win him outrightly but I never wanted to show my fears. Then I maintained my indifferent mood as he motioned me to seat on a size stool. I sat down, thrust my right hand inside my breast pocket only to noticed it was hidden deep inside my Jean back pocket. I stood up from the chair rummaged on my pocket, on an impulse, I brought out my new phone then showed him. He complimented me after tossing it around.

"Nnah, Ekwenti gi a mechiri akwukwo" ( bro, this your phone makes sense die) See the kind phone wey you go buy. How much kill this machine " he asked rather sarcastically. I laughed and thanked him sincerely for his compliments. Right inside my head I knew my phone wasn't worthy to attract such kind of compliment I don't want to reveal my fear cos right on his table were Motorola G77, NOKIA E40 etc. Then I proudly told him how much I bought the phone with intent that he'll shutdown every other discourse and focus on my G-tide..Lol.

The truth was that I loved that phone, the features and how easy it was to operate. I had once seen it with a schoolmate (friend) the first time I travelled to Nnewi.
Bros pls can you help me? I have issues with my G-tide S1 phone

(1) (Reply)

Romeo Oriogun Is A Homosexual / Check Out Today's Inspirational Quote For Children / Ode To Independence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.